Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Found the person before me had labelled the lid of a bottle of NaCl as MgCl2.

The real MgCl2 bottle was in an isolated drierite jar.

Glad I caught it because making artificial CSF with the wrong ingredients would have seriously hosed all our experiments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sundae posted:

I also had a drug about eight years ago that bound to taste receptors and made everything taste bitter for weeks if you breathed it in. It'd have been a lovely diet aid had it not been a (failed) attempt at treating pancreatic cancer.

Wonder how well it'd fight against that protein in miracleberries/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Monellin?

Miraculin, apparently.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Tastes like water I would assume. Must have tasted it one time or another.
Difference between deuterated water and normal water is hydrogen bond strength and molecular weight.

It's slightly sweet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Our work either has no gloves required or two layers of gloves required, with nothing in between.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The most dangerous thing i use is 35% HCl, and i only use a fraction of a mL at a time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taxol full image

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My boss's boss's rear end in a top hat question is asking you if you know how a toilet works, then telling you to describe the actual mechanism if you say yes.

I told him it was a dirty trick because if you ask two fluid dynamicists how a siphon works you'll get three answers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Raw image files add up fast, i do optical imaging with a canon camera on a scope, and it's 300-400 MB per 10 second experiment

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, since our building is getting demolished, i will not be doing experiments in the lab again for several months. :confuoot:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

what you do is make sure that the cold air vent is blowing directly down onto your most temperature-dependent setups at all times, even in the middle of winter

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I was trying to figure out methods for an experiment and did a literature dive. Turns out a couple months ago a lab in Canada was doing something similar, and their methods section includes full 3d printer diagrams for their machine AND all the code they used in to control it with an arduino, so I should be able to basically just download their entire experimental apparatus and use it for our experiment.

Thanks, Canadians. You just saved me a ton of work. :kimchi:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Never gotten one of those before, do you get tons of them for different equipmwnt?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

:colbert: I went from dissertation proposal to final defense within a month.*

*Because my department was so disorganized they forgot to schedule the proposal until after I'd finished it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Not sure if google translate is doing the correct thing, but its translation of postdoc seems to be accurate at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sundae posted:

]. (I've also been told that a flow hood with an on/off switch with a LED light to indicate whether the unit is on counts as an HMI and therefore a computerized system. I have to validate the On/Off switch and review its non-existent code."

So the light switches in the building also qualify too then.