Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
localized
Mar 30, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah, everyone wants engineering cadets, because everyone's out of engineers.

But then they're also out of deck officers. Seriously, the first year after I finished schools, I had five unsollicited job offers. In one case, I actually asked the HR rep where he'd gotten my number...

I will be attending one of the East Coast academies at the end of the summer. I was on the fence about whether to go engineering or deck, but I ultimately decided to apply for the deck program. What you are saying and what I have heard from friends is that there is a greater demand for engineers. But I guess that doesnt mean that the job market is going to be the same four or five years from now anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

localized
Mar 30, 2008

Two Finger posted:

Out of curiosity what makes you decide to go for deck?
Engines not really your thing or what?

I love engines and industrial stuff, but as FrozenVent said I would rather be outside than cooped up in the bottom. I am thinking I am going to do a minor in the engineering side so I can have experience in both departments. The guy who I interviewed with at the academy said I could always switch my major anyways, and my sister's boyfriend who is also a deckie said your first semster is the same for everyone anyways.

Do you guys get your work through unions or do you search out work on your own?

localized
Mar 30, 2008

Two Finger posted:

I'm not sure about where you're studying but the Dutch academies do a joint engine/deck qualification. You could ask your master/chief engineer when you get on board if you could spend two weeks on the bridge/engine room.

I got my cadetship through my school - a representative came down to interview us and I was one of the ones he picked. Some of my other classmates had to search out their own jobs and do all their own legwork.

Warm isn't really the word I would have picked, not sure about other ships but our engine room tended to sit between 45 and 55 degrees centigrade. gently caress Panama.

Yea, if dual licenses were offered stateside I would be all over that. I wont be shipping as a cadet for a couple of years though. The first and third year at the academy you cruise on the school's training ship, while your second year you ship as a cadet.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

MythObstacleIV posted:

MMA goon here, awesome to see a thread like this!

I'm in a licensed program right now, but I plan to go and get my masters in either mechanical or aerospace once I graduate.

I'm going out with an offshore supply company this summer, anyone have any experience in that area?

I assume you are in the five year? Like I said earlier in the thread, I am accepted for deck, but I am having serious second thoughts about changing majors. Mostly because there are more shore side opportunities and I am thinking I would like to pursue a masters in engineering after I work for a few years.

There's at least one deckie that went with an off shore supply company out of Louisiana, so I would find him if you can.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

lightpole posted:

Ro/Ro going where-ever so I have no idea. Possibly between Japan/Korea for military cargo or something but thats just a guess.

I heard from a friend that RoRos have some of the nicest crew accommodations. Confirm/deny?

localized
Mar 30, 2008
What do you engineers use for hearing protection in the engine room? I need to pick up a headset for my training cruise this spring, so any input would be much obliged.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

StopShootingMe posted:

They should really be issuing you with all your PPE, right?

They should, yes, but do they? Nope. The school will gladly sell it to you, but I'm just curious as to what people prefer or what to avoid.

localized fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 11, 2012

localized
Mar 30, 2008

Serf posted:

My first question, though, is what exactly are limitations on physical disabilities? I've got a below-the-knee amputation on my left leg, but it's never held me back outside of being disqualified for military service. Basically, I've been doing manual labor my whole life, and this has never gotten in the way, but I think there must be stricter rules on a ship? Anyone out there know if I've got a shot?

At my school there is at least one cadet who is missing a leg.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

DP DP DP DP DP DP DP DP DP DP DP

I was told that there is a DP school in the Maritimes somewhere? I was looking at classes in Florida to get my basic DP certification before I ship as a cadet next year, but since I'm already just about as close to the Maritimes as you can get in the US, that may be a better option. The courses down south seem to run about $2500-$3000, which is more than I can afford right now.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

^^^ Yeah, I don't know about that, but you'd probably need some sea time before you took the DP course. What school are you at, MMA?

It's gonna be AT LEAST that price everywhere, really.

There's a place in PEI (http://www.hollandcollege.com/marine_training_centre/dp_hi_pap.php) but I've never heard of them outside of "There's a place in PEI that teaches DP". Really, they've got a full array of continuing ed courses, and I can't recall ever meeting anyone who'd been there.

The Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland (AKA Marine, MI, Memorial, St. John's) also offer the course (http://www.mi.mun.ca/cms/training/courses/#d). They're, obviously, in Newfoundland. I've also heard of them, because it's loving MI, Canada's biggest English language marine school. (I read recently in the papers that IMQ was bigger, still investigating)

Yea I'm at MMA. I have a friend who went to the Gulf of Mexico as a cadet working on OSVs, and he was saying that he wished he had gone to DP school because the time he got as a cadet would have counted towards his DP assistant certification, making it easier to pick up his full DPO once he graduates.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

Two Finger posted:

localised, is the Bear coming back to NZ? And will you be on it? Many beers will be had if yes.

I have no idea where Cal Maritime is going this year. I heard that they were hurting for cash so they weren't doing a Pacific crossing. Our training ship is the TS State of Maine, which is a sistership to the Golden Bear, just repowered with a lovely six cylinder ferry engine. Our cruise is heading south this year, visiting Galveston, Texas, Caracao, Bermuda, and Charleston, South Carolina.

localized
Mar 30, 2008
MMA sends the freshmen and junior classes out together on a 60 day training cruise every year, rotating between the Caribbean and Europe every two years. The sophomores are shipped off as cadets while the freshmen and juniors go on cruise. Maine Maritime is mostly engineers at the moment, so I know that billets were hard to come by for the engineers looking to get sea time. Our training ship is used year round for classes and labs, as well as watch standing. During the fall semester the freshmen class is split into four companies who rotate through living on the ship, so it is used as housing as well. This year the freshmen class was so large that many students are being sent to SUNY to cruise with them for the summer, as the State of Maine wont have enough space for them all.

localized
Mar 30, 2008
Our training ship still has open lifeboats. Two diesel powered, two sail/oar powered, and two RHIBs with 90hp Yamahas on the back. They just had all of the lifeboats refinished this spring. When our ship anchored for the day in the US Virgin Islands we deployed the diesel lifeboats and the RHIBs, so the guys on those crews got to go for a boatride around the nice islands. O course I was on one of the crews for the sail/row boats and had to watch everyone else have fun while I chipped paint.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

Trench_Rat posted:

welp looks like I'm going on PSV in the north sea in november cant wait to get sea sick

Viking Lady http://vikinglady.no/

then in december I'm going to a new built subsea vessel Seven Viking launching in january

http://www.subsea7.com/files/docs/Datasheets/Vessels/Seven_Viking.pdf

has anyone done the whole commissioning/test trial thing?

I'm hoping to sail as a cadet this summer on OSVs in the Gulf of Mexico or elsewhere. Looking forward to seeing how you like the North Sea.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

shovelbum posted:

Yep I went to Great Lakes, didn't really enjoy Lakes sailing (mostly because of the effect the low pay and long irregular rotations seemed to have on people) and am currently headed to my first actual job on Tuesday after I do HUET etc. on a little 240' OSV.

Are they still sending the new hires to Falck Aford in Houma?

localized
Mar 30, 2008
Did they tell you to set your purse down before you pushed the window out or was that just me?

localized
Mar 30, 2008

lightpole posted:

gently caress that noise, poo poo in the sink, over the side, whatever you gotta do but stay the gently caress out of my head.

I've been looking into masters programs off and on. I'd like something either in Marine Engineering/Automation or International Business/MBA. CMA started up a program but its not very developed or serious at the moment so Im going to hold off on it. Kings Point had something for Marine Engineering, do you guys know if its any good? Any other schools anyone can recommend?

Maine Maritime has a one year MS in Global Logistics and Maritime Management. I've never met anyone doing that who has sailed on their license though.

localized
Mar 30, 2008
Well I passed my license exams, now I just have to wait until January for everything to actually come through from the USCG...

localized
Mar 30, 2008

skinner posted:

How crazy would it be to get into the quickest deck program there is now? Is the DP salary and hiring a flash in the pan? I'm currently a captain at a small company transporting commercial vehicles to islands but there's really no place for me to advance so I'm leaving the job anyway. I can get in-state tuition at Maine Maritime but that's still pretty expensive. The SUNY graduate program looks interesting too but I'm not sure my BA in poli. sci. will cut it there.

Even with previous sailing experience the fastest you can get through the unlimited deck program at Maine Maritime is three years. The limited side you could probably do in two, depending on what type of license you have currently/how badly the school fucks you over when transferring credits. MMA also offers a two year graduate program that gets you a Masters in business and a 200T mate ticket, but as far as I know that is quite expensive.

localized
Mar 30, 2008
What's a third mate sailing Union make these days anyways?

localized
Mar 30, 2008

lightpole posted:

If you are talking MMP I think it's similar to engineers so around 90 k for 6 months would be safe to assume. It's harder to get out and get your foot in the union though. One of my friends started sailing with the MFU while getting his time in because the pay was better and he was able to pick up work easier.

I don't know what the oil price has done to wages or jobs but 3rds were making 180 k with their DPO quite recently.

Yea, I just got my 3/M ticket last month so I've been looking around for work. If that's the case, sailing as an AB for ~85k on a drillship doesn't sound so bad.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

lightpole posted:

My friends brother started working for, I think, Chevron doing that. He was also looking at moving up pretty quickly but I'm not sure what it looks like currently.

Yea, I was told it could take more than a year to move up to an Assistant DPO spot, but if oil stays low I really don't mind. That's with previous DP experience as well.

localized
Mar 30, 2008
I've worked on vessels with radio operators, but that's just a fancy way of saying clerk/secretary. The mates and electronics technicians handle any operation and maintenance of the radios and communications equipment.

localized
Mar 30, 2008
Most of the mates I graduated with are sailing as ABs, myself included.

localized
Mar 30, 2008
Anyone been through an MM&P hall lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

localized
Mar 30, 2008

shovelbum posted:

They share a hall with us MEBA types in Norfolk, seems a lot smaller and slower of a deal. Heard MLL is experimenting with permanent second mates so that may be something to do with it.

Also lol at Group 2 guys complaining about no jobs at a hall where I know for a fact a bunch of applicants got good jobs while they were allegedly sitting there everyday.

Does MEBA still have mate jobs that you know of? I'm looking to get out of the oil field, or at least away from the drilling side of things...

• Locked thread