Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I'm currently reading through the thread so apologies if this has already come up but is there much in the way of IT work on ships? I'd imagine with how much comms and control stuff is computerized these days any big enough ship would need at least someone who knows how to make the broke poo poo send 1s and 0s again but I haven't seen many people online talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Alright so I read through this entire thread and, like an idiot, I still want to sail so I guess I'll put in for CMA engineering ASAP. How bad of an idea is it if I can't get into the fall class to try and get a job as a wiper for a few months or a year to get some startup cash and make sure I want to be doing this long term?

e: also can the CMA MechE students still get a ticket?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

lightpole posted:

Yes. CMA just requires everyone to get something aside from just a diploma. Most MEs take the EIT and pass it so they stopped requiring a license to graduate. ME license track is tough as you will need to throw a shitload of USCG required courses on top. I went MET and it wasn't a terrible choice but the MEs in my class that are on shore are high up in companies running poo poo. I would have a much more difficult time getting there. I was able to play rugby in college though and that really made it for it.

The thinking between a wiper and a 3rd Engineer is completely different in terms of perspective. Do your best to get in to school. If you can make into and through any of the academies as an engineer then you will be set up with employment options for life, even if you hate sailing. Just remember that if I and the rest of the retards in this thread can make it through school, graduate and work our way up to senior officer positions then anyone can do it.

Seems like they're out of engineering slots for the fall anyway. I'll see if I can get on the list but if I can't, well, I really fuckin need money.
e: looking into mass maritime too because I get slightly cheaper tuition there. I'd still prefer to be in Cali over New England but if it works it works

Moatman fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 19, 2017

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Alright, SUNY Maritime application's done and the Mass Maritime app just needs a bit more info, then I need to fax (:barf:) my old college to get transcripts and then the waiting starts.
At least I'm in-region for both of those schools so it's only gonna hurt my wallet a lot instead of a ton.

Moatman fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 20, 2017

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

So has anyone here had the chance to work on FLIP?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Didn't make it https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:410512/mmsi:636018233/imo:9634830/vessel:PEAK_PEGASUS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Woah

• Locked thread