Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's good to hear there is lots of work on the lakes. I'm finishing my last year deck side of school now and get my ticket this summer. Theres a few good options out here on the east coast too, with offshore Newfoundland booming and even a good few jobs on coastal tankers.

Does anyone have any experience using manning companies to get jobs? I hoped to go foreign going when I get my ticket for some good experience but have not the slightest clue how to go about finding an overseas job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

FPP ships take forever to do any sort of maneuvering yeah, we were doing ship to ship diesel transfers near Iqaluit with a roughly 40,000 dwt tanker and it was torture being on overtime with little sleep watching them try and get into anchorage position.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Well I finally got into TC and got my orals done, now I've got my OOW Unlimited (Canadian) and it's time to try and get into the work force. Put in a few resumes around here in Newfoundland (offshore anchor crankers) but wondering does anyone know of some good crewing agencies or resources to try and find stuff going a bit more far flung? I mean the offshore here is great pay and good time off, but it isn't the most intriguing job when you are on stand by for 28 days. Be nice to get a bit of experience foreign going to start off, as I don't really mind 4 or 5 month hitches, but don't know where to start.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

https://www.shipout.ca is your first stop if you want to work on the lakes.

All the cruise companies will hire Canadians, so feel free to drop them a line. Otherwise... We don't have any company that does deep sea with Canadian crews AFAIK. Try pretty much any site, but there's a chance they'll refer you to a Canadian company or just assume you won't be interested since the pay is so low.

Where did you do your time?

I did 6 months on offshore anchor handlers and 6 months doing coastal tanker work in the arctic/Labrador on a 3000GT product tanker. Pretty good work terms I did 4 and 5 month hitches but overall enjoyed it. Got my DP induction with 4 months signed off as well, so I could do the simulator, held off because its 3 grand that I don't have but would be willing to do it for work. Thanks for the shipout link, I've been hitting up all these random websites but a lot of them look like scams I'm not really sure which to trust.

I've thought about the lakes a bit and to be honest I'm a bit nervous about the whole seaway aspect. I assume you get up there though as a jr officer and the Captain is pretty on top of things? I've done a good runs in narrow spots on the Labrador coast and stuff but I feel like I'd be out of my element jumping right in as 3rd Mate on a laker.

flashman fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 14, 2012

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Oh God, don't worry, pilotage is the last of your worries as a third mate. It'll be years before they let you conn anything but SES, lake St-Clair, Lansing and Mackinaw.

Seriously, as long as you don't have a heart attack every time the echo sounder shows 0 and know how to use PI, you'll be fine. Personally, I'd stick to the offshore jobs, tho. Much better conditions and pay from what I've heard... And get your DP, why is that even a question.

Did you graduate MI this year?

Ahh okay, sort of what I figured. Working Labrador and Arctic the third would do all these narrow runs and stuff with little help from the Captain so I wasn't sure if it was the same up there.

Yeah graduated this year. Feels good to be free but in the end wish I had done the MOT way instead. Offshore is good pay and time off yeah, but it's pretty brutal in the winter, and it's real popular, so despite having the regulations with respect to crewing Newfoundlanders you could be a good while on deck depending on who you get stuck behind. Not necessarily a bad thing to be on deck but went to school for 4 years to be a mate in a timely manner you know?

flashman fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 14, 2012

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Got a lucky break and am heading out as junior Officer on one of the supply boats tomorrow. A bit nervous but I'm sure the senior officers are just as nervous about me so it will all work out in the end.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'm currently on the back end of an 8 week hitch working on a subsea ROV ship on the east coast. A lot of people here onboard these supply and subsea boats have pretty good lives, most do 28 day rotations and you are in touch with shore most days. It's pretty intense schedule (we have done straight sixes for the whole trip and more when in port) but for the most part your shift is spent on the DP desk so it's not too physically demanding. Hard to keep in shape though and get motivated for the gym working sixes, and that midnight meal is killing the waist line.

I would think that the shorter your rotation gets the better it is for maintaining a healthy family life ashore (most people here are married with kids). For me it's not an issue that is why I'm going for the longer hitches but a lot can be said for being home each month. Personally I think a month is too short off but probably would change my tune if I had someone at home waiting.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Stratafyre posted:

I was informed by a third party today that the reason this Captain nitpicks and derides me so often is apparently, quote;

"He wants to be a dentist." As in, like Herbie the Elf. Apparently, someone not wanting to sail forever is reason enough to make their life a living hell :toot: 34 more days in crazy town before I get the hell out.

You tell the skipper you want to become a dentist instead of a sailor and you don't expect him to ride your rear end and razz you constantly then I don't know where you did your sea time man. He is probably lobbying with the office to get you off the ship as well so you might have an easy time of it at least.

Ships doing cargo in the arctic carry bear men depending on where they are working. They carried a 30-06 on the tanker I was working on. Besides that I have never seen a gun "officially" on a ship, although some of the hands used to take their rifles aboard during hunting season.

I'm signing off tommorow. Good first hitch as an officer; finished off all the dp time I can get before my simulator course so I'm only a month away from an unlimited ticket, and logged 3 months of good unlimited time for ticket. Too long a hitch doing subsea work though, 12 hours of dp a day gets to you after a while, especially in the busy summer season when we only get in for a 12 or 18 hour turnaround.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Trench_Rat posted:

welp looks like I'm going on PSV in the north sea in november cant wait to get sea sick

Viking Lady http://vikinglady.no/

then in december I'm going to a new built subsea vessel Seven Viking launching in january

http://www.subsea7.com/files/docs/Datasheets/Vessels/Seven_Viking.pdf

has anyone done the whole commissioning/test trial thing?

Nice couple of gigs you landed. Weird that OSV has the superstructure at the stern all here on the Grand Banks are superstructure up forward. Whats the tonnage on that OSV? November in the North Sea shouldn't be too bad; most of the vessels head to aberdeen or surrounding anchorages during any sort of blow so it's not like you'll be jogging around in 15 meters (unless you get unlucky and on standby).

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Trench_Rat posted:

rough weather in the Barents Sea today we moved 16 nautical miles in 15 hours and got nine meter waves :gonk: also did I mention the 40 knot winds and the snow storm :killme:

Get off supply if that mini blow bothers you. You on the bridle?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Company sounds like a poo poo show engineering jobs are a dime a dozen get out of there before you lose your ticket or a limb or something.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Twenty three meter max and 100 knots offshore the weekend. They need mates ashore.... Right?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

How could they not. They are droning away for fifty grand a year and two weeks holiday when they used to be making a load of cash with half the year off. I think you have to be nuts to work ashore.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Trench_Rat posted:

Do you have girlfriend/family if so go with the Standby vessel in the north sea . I presume the UK self does 4 weeks on 4 weeks off but if your young dumb and full cum go for the container ship. You doing deck or engine?

edit: question for those of you that have done PSV/OSV in the Gulf of Mexico what hours did you work? 6 on 6 off when out to sea, 8-4-4-8 or 12 on 12 off?

I don't know what its like for cadets in UK but here in Canada I did my long sea phase on supply and while the crew was 4 on 4 off as cadet we had to do the whole stretch, I ended up doing 6 months on a standby/ROV boat straight and we were only in for crew changes one day every 4 weeks. I had a lot better time doing coastal tanker work previous to that the time went by a lot faster.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The 062 exam I did had a load of questions about sail boats, most of which I am sure I got wrong.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Someone go to the IMO and get BSTR changed to include like three days of toilet and drains familiarization training, please.

Or make it a separate course and make it so passengers have to take it as well.

Amen. I'm on a boat that carries 42 regularly and the vacuum system was designed for a fourteen man crew. What a headache for the poor engineers.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Not sure if theres a wide difference between the Canadian and (I am assuming here) American curriculum. Our AB exam here was pretty simple, basics about watchkeeping in different conditions, some stuff about anchors, lifting gear etc. I would suggest familiarizing yourself with Seamanship Techniques by D.J house if you want to be real prepared. Personally if you are familiar with working aboard ships (or have done a bit of sea time or something like that) the Canadian test is a breeze.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

TC doesn't give out AB certificates anymore, what people call the AB is actually the "rating forming part of a navigational watch", aka the bridge watchman. It's insanely easy to get.

The old AB certificate required more sea time than an OOW. :shrug:

I assumed that AB would be equivalent to deck watch rating, apologies if there is actually a second ticket to write there for AB.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

They've been really tightening up the accreditation process for unlimited DP tickets as well as instituting a renewal scheme every 5 years. I was lucky and got my unlimited ticket under the old system but now it takes a lot longer to collect up the necessary days on DP to get your certificate after doing the simulation course. You fall prey to the catch-22 of needing a ticket to get a job but not having the ticket because no one will give you a job as DPO. I'm hoping they'll continuously tighten the regulations to prevent there being too much bloat in qualified DPOs (fygm).

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Theres always going to be jobs at sea I mean if you don't mind going away then why not. Even without any DP mates below CM are getting 100-130 around here and Chief mate and Captain are up in the 150-200 range. A decent career by any metric (besides going away).

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'd echo that sentiment. Although work is booming here for everyone with a C/E ticket you can name your price worldwide basically. A lot of companies are going to the C/E rather than a Master for their superintendents too, as engine maintenance is going to be eating up a lot of your major downtimes and they like the guy in charge to have a better picture of what exactly its all going to take. In retrospect I sometimes wish I had been an engineer, but when the vacuum system busts and my job is still to sit on the DP desk for the 12 hours I snap back out of it.

On another note I'm looking to do my SEN 2 (it's all I've got left for my CM and the company just rolled out a bonus for anyone who does it without time off), but all that's offered around here is a 3 week course. I work 4 on/off so it's not really feasible to get it in (I still have to go out of town and stay) in my 4 off even if it were offered directly in my off time. Does anyone know of somewhere they do it in 2 weeks in eastern Canada?

flashman fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 29, 2014

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

I've only ever seen it done in three weeks, and honestly it'd be a bit of a rush to get it done in two weeks. 12 days of class instead of 15 would be doable I guess... Remember you have to get back into plotting and into doing collision avoidance and poo poo the simulator way. The first week is basically the entire class getting taken down a peg, daily.

And reviewing tons of useless poo poo.

It's apparently hella cheap in BC, or at least it was a few years back, so that's worth looking into I guess. SEN 2's a hell of a lot of fun, by the way. Hit the pub to celebrate our graduation, we got there before the staff and left at last call... Christ, what a night that was.

And I agree that there are a ton more office jobs for engineers these days. Your average company seems to have one shore captain and like a dozen chief engineers around for superintendin' purposes. You might have a couple more deckies for auditing and poo poo... But even then most of that is done by engineers these days. In my experience office personnel is about 1:4 deck to engine. (And about 1:10+ "has sailed before" to career office people)

Yeah I figured, they do it here in Newfoundland in 3 weeks with weekends off. I actually quite enjoy the simulator so it's more familial obligations that makes me wary about spending basically 3 months away in a row. Worth it for the pay raise but hard pill to swallow initially.

Best gig for a deckie ashore is safety inspector/examiner at some small towns ship safety. They are still making around 80 and it's so easy when you don't have a lot of people coming through for certs/exams. Federal pension once you punch enough time. I would be applying now but don't have the ticket (or experience) for them to even look at me.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ok I've been getting some scuttlebutt and I figured I would come here to see what was true or not. A buddy of mine who has been an engineer for six years now told me that a company would fly me from Colorado, where I'll be moving early next year because 'reasons', to the port of their choice for me to work. Is there any truth to that?

It doesn't sound outlandish to me. Where I live flights are quite expensive (depending on the notice upwards of a grand) and they fly me back and forth for all crew changes and probably again for training every second time off (28 day rotation). Chump change for these companies really, and I'm not even an engineer.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Two Finger posted:

I thought it was a requirement under... christ, it's too early. FV what's the regulation surrounding crewing arrangements? STCW?
But I was under the impression the company is required to get you to and from the ship at their expense.

Might be the MLC you are speaking of and that's home from a foreign port at your time of discharge. As far as I know there is no requirement for ships to pay for your travel to employment. I also don't think it includes if you quit to go home.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Supply is a good bet if you've got a British ticket should be decent amount of work in the north sea? Almost always time on time off (either a month or six week rotation) and a pretty cushy job where you get to play boats with a 16000 horse power tug. What more could you ask for.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

shovelbum posted:

I was mostly just curious, we have a lot of liquid cargo ops down in the engine room on OSVs but our little mini-tankers leave it to the mates so I was wondering how it is on the actual tankers.

There's talk about giving it to the deck side on some of the large OSVs which would be really nice.

Deck does all the bulk liquid transfers on the all the OSV I've ever been on. Works out well you've got two on the bridge anyway for hose work alongside so one is driving or on the desk the other is using the UMS computer.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

shovelbum posted:

That's interesting, it seems like here a mate is strictly a boat driver to the end.

I've only worked for two companies in this one region (offshore Newfoundland) so it's probably a regional thing. All our valves and poo poo are operated remote as well (not sure if this is standard these days) so it might also be different if you have to be swinging valves manually down below during ops. On tankers deck always controlled cargo ops as well, worked up north supply those early warning radar sites and it was all handled on our end. Engineers used to take the boat and go for a fish during the longer pump times :)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'd suggest sacking up and enjoy making loads of cash in a poo poo economy but what do I know.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

What a slog Ship Management 3 is (Canada). It's open book so not really that tough an exam but so long and the binders are massive to flick through. If I have to write it again I'm going to get the carpal tunnel my years of being a nerd couldn't grant me.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

DGib posted:

I used to be an executive fine dining chef. Now I'm the chief cook on ships. People call me chief and I make almost double my salary and only work 6 months a year.

Paying for those overpriced safety courses was the best thing I've ever done.

Whoever you are sailing with are lucky fellows. I have had a string of real winners as cooks.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I've got a crossbreed of your two, doesn't leave the smoke room and couldn't boil a potato to save his life. Thank god for prepackaged frozen foods because we'd starve to death.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Maersk and Secunda are both union in the offshore here, Atlantic Towing (Irving subsidiary) is not. Even the coastal tankers going up to Labrador/Arctic run by Woodwards are union here, although weirdly when I was there everyone was SIU including officers.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

MI is pretty good. The program is fairly intensive you don't get much time off at all with the way work terms and poo poo is scheduled, but they will set you up with some good workterms offshore or doing the arctic tanker runs or whatever that are pretty enjoyable. Bring some nice rain wear though St. John's weather is miserable.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I've been in 100 knot winds and it wasn't pleasant, except it veered and beat down the 15m seas that had been building all morning so it wasn't that bad. It's really going to depend on what kind of sea has built with the system.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Azimuth isn't necessarily required though I mean we do subsea work with 2 tunnels fore and aft and becker rudders.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

That's still quite a bit bigger than the size of the cabin I'm sharing with someone as senior dpo on this converted osv. One day it would be nice to be on a purpose built intervention boat.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

shovelbum posted:

Look at my sorry room, OSV with the house built ready to hold a million people in case of conversion.

We filled that bitch up once, dewatering.

Hah I missed it.. That one is more like it. I've been on this Osv that was designed for 14 carrying 42 for the last few years.. Enough to drive you crazy some times.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

A lot of the bigger subsea construction boats do some of their own fabrication on board and you'd just need a bst. Technip or subsea7 have both been making poo poo while we were working with them but the offshore has slowed to a crawl. Would help to have credentials for making wire rigging as well.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Polikarpov posted:

LMAO this ship has an escape scuttle from the steering gear room directly between a bitt and a chock so if you want to put out a breast line you block it from opening and doom anyone needing to use it to certain death.

Also trip hazards every 5 feet, but that's life. :shepicide:

just hang a hand saw off the hatch, seems legit..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The amount of little bullshit courses you have to finish up for your Canadian chief officer is ridiculous. Compass swinging, muster list development and a three week ARPA course piled on top of the med refresher is making this winter particularly aggravating. Yeah I'm sure all this stuff will stick with me three months from now ..

• Locked thread