Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

/wiki/Thomas_Cochrane,_10th_Earl_of_Dundonald]Lord Cochrane[/url]) and Dr. Stephen Maturin, his friend and ship's doctor. Aubrey is a genius of a combat ship's captain, but an absolute shambles ashore, inept at politics and finance and all the other ways good people can get themselves in trouble; Maturin is a genius doctor but helpless at sea.

I was really pleased that the movie captured this relationship so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

ZekeNY posted:

That's very interesting, given the way Stephen takes offense whenever someone confuses him, a physician, with a "mere surgeon", who's barely half a step above a butcher barber in his view.

Fixed that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I haven't been able to figure out which historical action the cutting out of the Diane was based on. Jack got hella paid for that one, I'm wondering what the historical figure got. Does anyone know ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

In honor to the thread, drat my left wrist, break out the violin !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

evil jesuits are everywhere in books of this time, and they're always badass. flannery o'connor's the enduring chill is about the appeal of this powerful antihero image

People should read more Flannery O'Connor. She's a little nuts, has a sharp eye for social constructs to tear apart, and a jaundiced eye for human nature. She's an author I was happy to be assigned back in college.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think the story would be perfect but it'd be a while other tier of expense, time, and actor commitment that I just don't think it's happening anytime soon. When they are able to affordably make a convincing high sea environment with a green screen then maybe, but I've never seen anything like that.

We've some real steps in that direction lately. We used to green-screen actors to put them on a virtual set. The new hotness is putting actors in front of LED walls displaying a virtual set or environment and shooting that so the camera sees the CGI.

The Mandalorian used this, they shot on a 75' diameter sound stage that was all LED wall and ceiling. If you did that for M&C, Jack could turn around and yell at the crow's nest, and the actor would be looking at the actual crow's nest as if he were on a real ship. The Mandalorian did some very impressive environments virtually, including some small-scale ones that you would have assumed on first viewing, as we all did, that it was a normal, dressed set on a normal soundstage. Nope, Werner Herzog's office was virtual, there was some furniture for actors to interact with, but the walls and ceiling were CGI.

All you'd have to do is build and rig a 3D model of a ship, down to the smallest detail, dynamic enough to blow clouds of splinters through it in battle.

'All' doin' a job o' work in that sentence.

Here's a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnxzVOs3rk

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Cast Crowe as Jack's father if it gets that far.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It took me the better part of two years, but I finally finished the series tonight for the first time. It’s also the first time in a long time where I felt… depressed isn’t the right word, but forlorn about finishing? The characters in the book were with me during a lonely time in my life, and reading a 20 book series on friendship was helpful to me. I look forward to giving it another read through soon!

Having a feeling of not quite loss, not quite emptiness is normal in these circumstances. You'll adjust, after all, they're still sailing onward.

It's starting to be time for my first re-read.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

There's also an in-progress sailing simulator, A Painted Ocean. I've dabbled with it, it's got full control over all the sails. Try and survive a storm !

https://thapen.itch.io/painted-ocean

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

If you want to play with sails, A Painted Ocean is a (free) simulator of a 38-gun frigate with realistic physics and full control of how the sails are set.

https://thapen.itch.io/painted-ocean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

At least as good, if not better. Stay your course!