Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

thotsky posted:

On Wednesday I am seeing Front Line Assembly and Die Krupps perform. Stoked.

Hell yessss. I saw Die Krupps just before the pandemic and they were so good. Gutted that I can't catch them on the joint tour with FLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

thotsky posted:

Oof, only 200 tickets sold at a venue that holds 850.

Ouch that's not great at all

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

hatelull posted:

KFMDM? They're touring and I believe Tampa is a date. There's some festival 242 is playing on the east coast.

Those are pretty much classic rock acts at this stage though, so anyone posting in this thread has probably had the opportunity to see them countless times.

It is the last time 242 are going to be touring in NA though, so if anyone hasn't seen them yet and wants to then either go catch them on this tour or you'll need a flight to Europe.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tias posted:

Going to see Sturm Cafe on friday, super loving stoked!

Hell yeah, super jealous! Would love to see them some day!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
KMFDM *heavy sigh* doin' it again

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tias posted:

Sturm Cafe was a lot of fun, especially in a cramped space like Lygten, København. My mate Albert Severin warmed up, and I gotta say he's really gotten his project off the ground: Really gloomy acid trance with more than a few pointers to Psychic TV:

https://albertseverin.bandcamp.com/releases

Hey I've got his album, tell him it's great :v:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Covenant were good last night. Setlist was stacked with a bunch of tracks I love, and sound problems didn't stop Eskil being his usual cheery self.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

A Used Game posted:

found out about this recently and immediately bought the album after hearing this track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMu4HGOyJBY

Yeah! That Spit Mask release is so good. Hope they release more at some point

idk if other people are already into him, but Celldöd absolutely bangs if you want kinda raw-sounding hardware EBM. It's not quite the same sort of thing as Youth Code or Spit Mask, and the vocals are largely just occasional shouts, but he's great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rft0WO9-KAU

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 30, 2022

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm going to Bimfest this weekend. Lineup is absolutely stacked, except Nuclear Sludge and Sierra have both just pulled out :smith:. Still tons of great artists, but was really looking forward to both of them.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

The Voice of Labor posted:

why are there so many covers of warm leatherette?

https://alexreed.bandcamp.com/album/warm-fireplace

Because it can be festive

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

thotsky posted:

Welle:erdball is the OG chiptunes as pop music band.

idk which song precisely it is, but yeah it sounds like it'll be Welle: Erdball. Their older stuff is way, way better than the newer releases. Everything up to and including Operation: Zeitsturm is absolutely great, but the releases after that one are very much treading water with diminishing return.

Edit: and I think one of the key band members left a couple of years ago as well

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

hatelull posted:

I don't think they're going to keep going as Puppy but hopefully it pushes though to continue doing projects. Key will probably do his electronica projects forever. I saw a blurb on social media where he's opening for IAMX. I just wonder if Ogre continues with Mark Walk project/band or not.

Based on the Puppy group on Facebook it seems that a TON of die hard fans haven't been to a show since the Too Dark Park tour. LOTS of outrage over ticket prices.

"Die hard fans who don't like anything past the early to mid 90s" pretty much describes most of the people in every band/subgenre industrial page I've I've tried on FB, or r/industrialmusic tbh. I'm sad I've only seen SP once but they don't come over to the UK often, and I'm glad I got that one time at least. It does sound like the ticket prices are pretty crazy though, which sucks.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I mean full disclosure, Last Rights is the most "recent" SP album I listen to on the reg, just funny how averse to anything modern a lot of the FB communities and reddit are. I guess maybe people into newer stuff use Discord or w/e.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kaddish posted:

Wow, I am very surprised A Split Second is still around. I used to have a couple of their cassette tapes.

I saw them in 2012, they were pretty good fun still if you like it old school.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Whispering Machines posted:

Some folks are passing around a video of Shelby hanging onto Joe and whispering something in his ear and are concerned how "uncomfortable" Joe looks and if he "consented" to it. For fucks sake. The comments about Shelby and the other women who have alleged abuse or bad behavior about Till are getting threatened and harassed the same way people critical of Marilyn Manson or other famous assholes get harassed.

Those people raising their cOnCeRnS about poor Joe there are the same piece of poo poo enablers who can and do defend every abuser whether celebrity, friend or family member to the death. I hate those fuckers so much, even the ones who aren't abusers themselves, for all the suffering they prolong, enable and actively try to hide.

Was disappointed at a local club night that played Du Hast (to a loving cheer, as it was after a few tracks with slightly less widespread popularity so of course it hyped everyone up) on Saturday.

I get that many people do not give a poo poo, nor do I expect most people to - that's their choice as fans- but come the gently caress on what the gently caress message does that say when you're a DJ spinning Rammstein while the story is fresh in the news? Like either you're absolutely blinkered to the biggest piece of scene/scene-adjacent news to hit the mainstream press since however long or you just think "yep, don't care just need that hot dancefloor." This isn't like some not widely known thing that you only hear about if you're in the right groups.

Play NIN, play VNV, you've plenty of songs that'll liven things up. Wait a month or two til the story dies down like it sadly will, then play Du Hast again, Rammstein aren't going to get cancelled and forgotten. But playing them when the story is still in the mainstream press is pretty much an "I Stand With Johnny Depp" type post except this is worse because it was poo poo happening to fans i.e people exactly like the people in this club

Anyway, that's my rant, will prob turn out that only 3 people in the club knew about all this poo poo and I was standing with both of the other two by weird coincidence.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Sturm Café's new release is definitely gonna be The Sound of the Summer™ for me. Just perfect and fun EBM.

https://sturmcafe.bandcamp.com/album/zeitgeist

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I always think there's an interesting tension with these 'best X industrial album" type lists between albums that were important/influential at the time, ones that remain important/influential, and ones that if you sit down and listen to today alongside something current then you'd think "yeah this fucks". (so for example, an important and influential Die Krupps release is on the Consequences of Sound list, but one of their 90s industrial metal albums would probably fit alongside some of the metal bands on the list, and they definitely goes just as hard if not more so. See also Killing Joke's Pandemonium which leaves other industrial metal in the dust behind, but it didn't have a wide influence unlike KJ's early work))

Always interesting reading one of these lists and working out what approach they've taken.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Goth drives like this, but industrial drives like this

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bayham Badger posted:

industrial is whatever makes people mad if you call it industrial

:emptyquote:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

hatelull posted:

Clearly Consequence of Sound is scraping this thread for hits. They followed up yesterdays decisive list with yet another Top Ten. This one is a top ten industrial tracks penned by the dude from 3TEETH.

I'm low key surprised by the Ministry track on here, because my take on 3TEETH was that they always felt to me like they were specifically trying to recreate Ministry's Filth Pig sound so would have expected something from that album. Also yeah totally the kind of top ten that makes sense for 3TEETH though otherwise.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

hatelull posted:

They also dropped a Top 50 Industrial Songs Of All Time! (or at least up until the 20th of July in the year of our lord two thousand and twenty-three).
https://consequence.net/2023/07/best-industrial-songs-list/

It mostly reads like a greatest hits compilation Rhino records might put out as a tacky box set. Some of the goofy outliers that showed up in the Artists lists, and I'm sure the Filter song at number 8 is going to roll some eyes here.

The number one song is from 1989.

This list reads like it was put together by gen-Xers now in their 40s who largely stopped listening to industrial in the late 90s but are now desperately checking their old dusty collections of physical media so the listicle can get done.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I find it really weird that the lists focussing on industrial rock/metal (or your term of choice that includes glowing commentary about Rammstein, Fear Factory etc) consistently either don't include Die Krupps or if they do then it's the very early stuff before they brought in guitars.

Die Krupps' guitary albums absolutely gently caress tho, they got some MTV rotation back in the day with To The Hilt so it's not like people whose entire knowledge is based on music videos from the 90s aren't going to know about them. If you're writing a list that's evidently aimed at/written by people into the more guitary end of things, then they'd seem like an obvious one to put in.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jehde posted:

:yeah:

Die Krupps has some of the best range of electro-industrial acts, covering almost all the main bases well over their history. It's wild that they're still putting stuff out, even if a lot of it is just covers of 80s songs lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM3a2_xz9fI

Saw them live back in 2017 then again in 2018 and they went so hard, it was great.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Love all of her more electronic stuff, but the track Meat is such a standout. Lyrics that go as dark as anything in the industrial scene and it sounds great in a club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUbYgDAK0FY

Those new tracks are pretty killer too tho for sure.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

I didn't realise it back at the time but with hindsight futurepop was always just eurodance, but less awesome

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

divabot posted:

Hi-NRG but with shouty Germans and not disco divas

I mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSy2DcATYUo

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I have released some more industrial/EBM kinda music. Pretty happy with it. https://trellick.bandcamp.com/album/this-place

Fun fact: the first track on the release is one that I made for a synth challenge thread here on SA last year!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kvlt! posted:

i know asking for "factory machine music" itt is kinda broad, but im looking for albums that sound very rhymic and mechanical, like a working factory. I love listening to youtube videos of reptitive factory noises and car engine sounds, but want something a little more musical.

Ive found stuff like Test Dept or Einsturzende a little too abstract and not consistently rhthymic, while stuff like EBM is a little too dancy.

Sorry if this is vague or difficult, Im having a hard time trying to describe what I'm looking for.

Stuff like this: https://youtu.be/7ODXREubFxs?si=rBxnzBNkFkSMA5cF

or this:
https://youtu.be/CSZxwFfwyyg?si=sOQr4wc9VPIswwk0

but musical

If you want something where a steady machine-like rhythm is the absolute focus then as long as you're down with distortion, my recs would be:

Hypnoskull https://ant-zen.bandcamp.com/album/the-manichaean-consciousness (his previous two releases - Immer Weider Nein and Die4 Generation are similar)
Greyhound https://greyhoundofficial.bandcamp.com/album/insomnia (all their releases sound pretty much the same, tbh)

Greyhound in particular - every track is pretty much just a steady rhythm with some textures that may evolve and shift slightly over the course of the track but they don't really do much more than that. They're great, if that's your thing.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kvlt! posted:

these two are exactly what I was looking for, especially Greyhound. Exactly what I wanted to a t, im really digging GH. Ty!!

If you're not already familiar, I also reccommend digging through the catalogue of the label they're on - Hands, as it's mostly rhythmic noise of broadly similar kinda things (sometimes more techno, sometimes more IDM). The annual Forms of Hand samplers have a good selection if you wanna try our artists. https://handsofficial.bandcamp.com/

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

thotsky posted:

Nitzer Ebb, Front 242 and Rein about to go on!

That's a hot lineup! Haven't managed to get to see Rein yet, maybe someday!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

What good electro-industrial/EBM/whatever albums have come out this year? I was looking back and the albums I most anticipated from KANGA and Rein both really disappointed, the surprise Flesh Field album was a let down (but made me revisit early Flesh Field which was good) and Daniel Myer only put out a new techno album and a DSTR single, so nothing super exciting from one of the most prolific guys.

I'm sure there was some good stuff, I just missed it.

The just-released Neuroticfish album is good. Randolph & Mortimer and HEALTH as others have said. Sturm Cafe's album Zeitgeist is great. Riotmiloo's album Blackout is real great if you like kind intense rhythmic noise with vocals. Also there's Mortality by Choke Chain, and Concrete Playground by Monolith. Those are my best ofs for the year.

Kamrat posted:

Wulfband released a new song this year, completely missed it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpudiKDAvBI

Edit: I realize this band is not that known outside of Scandinavia, I wholeheartedly recommend them to people in this thread, here's some more songs:

Wulfband are amazing for sure! If anyone in thread has a chance to go see them live and hasn't seen them previously, definitely do so. Their live shows are absolutely chaotic in the best possible way.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I bought a banned copy of KMFDM's Naive off ebay, ripped it, and resold it way back in the day. Wish I had held onto it, but I was broke as hell.

Honestly I think the re-released version without the uncleared samples is better, but neither version is anywhere near as good as the next few releases imo. The ban probably hyped it up more than it really deserved.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Went to see Agent Side Grinder last night. They were real great live, and if you get the chance you should definitely see them. I mean, if they're remotely your thing.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

hatelull posted:

I mean, sure if a song like that dropped in 2024 but it was 1989 and they were thriving on samples in that period. They even did a call back to that track on Last Rights.

hell no, I still love tracks filled with movie samples (mostly cause I rock that vibe too). I kinda feel a lot of artists are afraid of copyright strikes for it tho so you don't get it much from anyone who has dreams of getting even a hint of popularity.

Edit: movie samples where it's not the same limited pool of 80s sci-fi/horror classics. I am definitely over bored of anything that uses ones I've heard a million times before, and it was wild hearing an overused Aliens sample but in some new industrial techno thing that came out last summer.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 6, 2024

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

hatelull posted:

I get it, I like the samples too. I just don't understand the hot take on "Rivers" being a genre parody.

Oops, I quoted you but I meant to quote Thotsky! Agreeing with you on it :v:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Dead When I Found Her puts in a lot of samples too. Some are immediately obvious (“oh that’s Shutter Island”) but others are more obscure like The Visitor (I pointed at the screen like Leo when one character said “thank you for treating me like a normal person… but I’m not a normal person”)

It's great when you're watching old black and white monster movies and suddenly one of those classic industrial samples happens

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kaddish posted:

Got tickets for September Front 242. I'm not expecting much, but it's their final shows so.

242 are honestly better live now than they were in the late 00s. Saw them 3 times in 2022 and they were great

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

2DCAT posted:

Been using loop earplugs both playing and attending shows for years. While they're not as great as fitted ones, I still highly recommend them.

For cheap but better-than-foam, I really like Thunderplugs

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Eskil has a very soothing voice. He should read chill audiobooks or idk do bedtime story ASMR videos of Swedish folktales or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Prop Wash posted:

I just saw Night Club live and it was an excellent show. I suppose you could call them cliched but they do what they do extremely well and their songwriting skills are top notch. Plenty of people have tried the formula but most of them end up like Alien Vampires instead.

I am super excited to see them later this summer. Like they're silly as hell but I'm totally down for their commitment to and delivery of the bit