Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Oh look...

ALL NEW VIDEO GAME COVERS from Gothsicles, Dead When I Found Her, Interface, Glass Apple Bonzai, Iioioioii, Encephalon, Apriorism, Volt 9000, Wychdoktor, Hatz, Prospero, and Displacer.

How do you convince them all to do that? For charity!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Looks like everyone will be putting out an industrial album this year... including this weird little band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IEhqnG159M

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Speaking of comedy, Volt 9000 will literally be playing Terminus this year. :can:
To be fair, we do have a new album coming and just put out a new music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-qLIuqUoDY

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

If you think the genre is "boring" and everyone is just listening to Combichrist, I DO understand your pain...

....BUT it tells me you haven't explored avenues outside whatever circle of people and/or message boards you get music recommendations from.

There's ALOT going on outside mainstream industrial culture if you dig. I think, as usual with this argument, I will say the issue is that many of the newest forms of music/art that are pushing boundaries and breaking new ground are not labeling themselves with the word "industrial". Frankly, I don't blame them. When you do you are immediately lumped in with the likes of Combichrist and Nachtmar. Pretty much anything you put out that isn't four-to-the-floor and distorted is ignored and looked at as "weird and un-dancible".

Try exploring the world of experimental pop, outrun, witchhouse. Catch a Jawa-style multimedia show at a downtown art gallery. These styles and more blend heavily into the world of industrial. Only these artists are smart enough to try and stay away from the blanket term which will instantly date them, and in your case, would probably cause you to overlook them.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I see your point. However I can take that and say that is what Throbbing Gristle, Skinny Puppy, and Einstürzend Neubauten did from the beginning - they just did their own thing and eventually got lumped under industrial... despite them all having a very separate sound. I'll also argue I've seen witchhouse, jawa, experimental pop, and such play many industrial-oriented shows and even be released under record labels that typically release stereotype industrial. Hard to have this conversation without trying to define the genre in comic-book-guy voice.

M.I.A.B isn't industrial it's future-pop? I'm over 30 and out touch myself.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

What's jawa music?

Jawa (aka. "video music") basically blends the audio and visual artistic medium into one - where people create new music videos by splicing film clips into each other.

Imagine music made from only samples, only done with video, in order to make music and video. Some of it is even manipulated live, and I see locals starting to open more for industrial and experimental bands. There was even a brief stint of MTV commercials and adverts that overused to death a few years ago. Imagine that, but you know, good.

Here is an example that should appeal to the industrial crowd...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9bNdpo1Co4

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Scyron posted:

I haven't kept up with the thread but I just wanted to say...

Holy cow, very cool information! Thanks for sharing! I will definitely spread the news around!
Speaking of which, did you know there is a HUGE and untapped industry for Aloe Vera drinks?
PM me and I'll tell you all about my own business! It's an opportunity you can NOT miss out on!

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Last time we posted our album here it got a pretty good response... and our newest just came out today.

Our 5th album 'TIMESHIFT' is out on Artoffact Records, and I think if you're into the weirder branches of industrial then you'll find it a treat.
We'll also be playing Terminus next month and hope to spot a goon or two there!

https://volt9000.bandcamp.com/album/timeshift

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

Any Toronto shows in the works? Too good for Aftermath? :D

Dunno if it's some secret but the organizer for Aftermath wanted all new bands this year. And we played it last year.

Konstruct posted:

Fantastic album, I can't recommend it enough.

Thanks alot man. Glad you're digging it.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Now I'm in my thirties and have tinnitus, which isn't as fun.

Hey there tinnitus brotha!
:hfive:

I remember catching a stupid loud Ministry concert around 2007, and after that show I've had a slight 17khz tone playing in the background of my life.

Ninja edit: New Haujobb is also very moody and cool.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

As far as Aesthetic Perfection goes, I found the song I liked, which is appropriate because it sounds more synthpoppy and much less like the rest of their work :v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VzBA6Didx4 - Never Enough

The man can legitimately sing and croon with the best of them.

Armor-Piercing posted:

I listened to those AP songs again and clicked through to a new song/video and wow, his voice just keeps getting worse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LazXORYWiFA

It's when he yells, he turns into frogman.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I agree with many that Skinny Puppy don't sound quite the same as their 83-93 albums, however I'd argue that their sound has always been a reflection of mainstream music from whatever given time-period it was recorded. The gated-reverb big drum-machines and syncopated arpeggios of the early 80s, the rock-style production of the early 90s. Their last three albums have branched off into weird modern-pop production of micro-drums, less reverb, clean production, modular-synth novelty, etc... and I'm not so sure one can pin the shift of style on them simply not being in the sane room during recording.

I would also argue that Front Line Assembly, Skinny Puppy, (dare I say NIN) have almost always tried to write music reflective of the times (or even precognitive in of electronic music trends), however I DO NOT see most smaller indie bands doing that. Most bands like Youth Code, Dead When I Found Her, Necro Facility, etc... I see attempting to replicate that 1983-1993 sound. Nothing wrong with that. Hell, they're fantastic at that! But I don't believe they are even attempting to accomplish the same thing many industrial bands originally did, which was taking current musical tropes and turning it back on itself.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I'm in my mid-30s and I'm almost completely disconnected with the pop and music zeitgeist

A human heart posted:

Industrial hasn't been experimental since like 1986

A human heart posted:

basically anything after 87 or 88 is usually bad, or not really industrial anymore.

I also think counting the amount of people under 35 at any given industrial concert pretty much compliments my original point as far as current fan-reception goes.

Old as gently caress grandpas reminiscing 'bout the good 'ol days of garbage can drums and SH-101s
(this is where you tell me you're only 18, you old crank)

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I remember an interview with Skinny Puppy where they said that there was nothing to do back in 1981 other than do drugs, watch horror movies and play with keyboards. For non-musicians, you went to night clubs to watch those people play. And cocaine.

Most of the younger crowd these days are house-bound straight-edge vegans who don't drink, smoke, or go to clubs. Streaming music off (Insert newest streaming service here) and not interested in dropping their minuscule cash on nu-goth stuff.

So now at most you get some dark-rave cross-overs hitting up a witch-house after-hours retro-night and buying the opening bands "single" on fake-floppy-disc with instant digital-download.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

The younger crowd is generally notable for having zero cash or free time, let alone cash and free time for hanging out in bars.

Zero cash, I agree. But they have alot of time. It's just that in 2016, they have a million more options than beer at a lovely bar or drugs at a lovely club.

Anyway new PIG is... decent. I mean it's beyond a decade too late, but I can't wait to scratch catching Watts live off my bucket list.

teethgrinder posted:

Do you live in Toronto? Let's get some drinks and talk the genre :D

Woe add me on facebook first, I'm not that kinda girl

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

Ha ... I actually did buy a drink for your bandmate at the Artoffact showcase however many years ago :)

Oh at Neutral? that was you?? You made his night. We felt awkward (always do) but you totally upped his mood and if anything gave him a rock-star complex which I'm still dealing with.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Watts was great in Toronto. En Esch too. Even Peter Turns Pirate did the best one-man-band I've seen in a long long time.

I don't think it's a spoiler to say you might hear a few classic songs outside of strict PIG material played during this tour.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Welp, Volt 9000 have sunk to a new low and just put out a Kickstarter. With all the wads of money just being thrown at industrial bands these days, it was bound to happen.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1419845335/volt-9000-new-album-2017

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

SacrificialGoat posted:

$596 as a goal? Kind of lowballing it

Haha, no. Truth is I'd be surprised if we even make that. There's a good chance it won't. After the first 24-hours of promo it's already at a plateau of $182. Our previous releases have all lost money. Even our vinyl releases with Artoffact Records lost money. We've been dying in the red since day one.

But hey, gotta look on the bright side.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

I didn't know but I'm not surprised you're working with Ryan Clark. He's excellent folks.

He's one of the few promoters/behind-the-scene cats I fully trust.

teethgrinder posted:

Pfft I pledged before you posted it. (Saw it on the ID:YD slack)

Well that's because you're awesome!
What is Slack anyway? I keep hearing about it. It's like a private message forum?

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The Cleaner, you guys should think about getting in touch with the organisers for next year. It's pretty shoestring budget, but I believe they helped sort out places for bands to crash.

Hey thanks for the tip!! Will definitely look into that one. Looks pretty cool.

Pope Guilty posted:

Only 46 hours left on the Kickstarter for the new Volt 9000 album! Only $15 Canadian for the new album, which is very favorable if you're paying in USD!

Come on, papa needs a new Buchla!
j/k I love you.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

To me, DIMD was the only Ohgr album that kinda let me down a bit. They were always glossy over-produced cartoony sounding mixes, and Devils just kinda tried something I don't think worked. I dig the dark melodies and jam-like approach, but I remember someone complaining that it sounds like it was mixed in 30 minutes using iPod earbuds - I can't disagree. Obviously was done on purpose but I can't understand why, nor have Mark Walk and Ogre shed much light on the concept they were even going for. I liked Undeveloped more myself as it not only returned to form but had a Sunnypsyop feel at moments. I'll concede that the first couple songs sounded too stadium-athemy-y.

The new Seeming is really great. Nothing I can say that hasn't already been written about by the reviewers/blogs.

Just got new 3Teeth, NIN, Tear Garden. Upcoming Encephalon, Legend, Comaduster, iVadensphere... alot of good albums still to come this fall.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

extradite THIS! posted:

Also The Cleaner your new album is hella loving good

teethgrinder posted:

Pardon my crassness but I want to have sex with the guitar on Pulling Teeth.

Thanks. The trick is to use an old broken pawn-shop guitar - gets that sexiness just right.

A human heart posted:

why is merzbow just hanging out there at the end of one song. that's silly

Aside what other users have stated, keep in mind the song is talking about leaving behind the comforts of a traditional and safe environment and walking into the dark and unknown. So I mean, the concept/gimmick is pretty spelled out. Whether it works or not is your call. But the reason why it's there is pretty obvious imo.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

A human heart posted:

I don't give a drat hoot about the lyrics

Ah ha! See this is why song concepts are oblivious to you. Problem solved!
:hfive:

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

drat!! The new Volt 9000 album just got public praise from some big names!

Al Jourgensen from Ministry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j45_4E75IFU

Daniel Myers of Haujobb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1nKlNZLVTI

Alexis Mincolla of 3Teeth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJw0durHB5A

Brian Graupner of The Gothsicles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXg3D8EZGVE

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but those are some pretty strong endorsements.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Biomute posted:

This is how you get sued.

Ya considering 3 of the 4 artists reactions have literally started with "Hahahaha!", I'm not too worried.

Photex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEoxu0_8uZU&t=624s
now before you click, yes it's Perturbator but i'm actually super impressed by the album, I linked the song Vantablack.

Really dug Dangerous Days but I wasn't super taken with the last album. Just kinda felt like what I heard was either drudging or hyper active. This definitely sounds like a broodier approach with emphasis on pumping atmosphere and a more controlled energy - if that makes any sense which it probably doesn't. But that style of synthwave is very tricky to get just right - safe to say Perturbator is still one of the best. Looking forward to blasting this album at work today.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Kaddish posted:

What the heck, why isn't the new Volt 9000 on Spotify?

extradite THIS! posted:

Neither is the previous one.

Maybe Volt 9000 hates you

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Kaddish posted:

Booooooooo

Tasty tasty beautiful boos

Seriously though, Artoffact Records and Electric Bat Records do not keep me in the loop in regards to *where* things are released. I really have no idea I can only hope it's out on as many hip and cool music services as possible. All I've ever used was Bandcamp and iTunes (and released with CDbaby before them) so I'm totally out of the loop in multiple ways. I wish I could hire someone to just make sure it all gets 'out there' as best as possible. One would think a record label would be sufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Artoffact Records is the "in-house" label of 'Storming The Base' distribution company. So technically they are a distributor first, with the in-house part as a way they can release smaller bands on their own for profit. Super friendly dudes working there, a plethora of industrial/experimental music knowledge, with tons of genuine industry experience.

Not gonna lie and say they don't gently caress up tho. They've pulled some boners that still have me scratching my head - like signing an exclusive contract with iTunes (WHY?) and then accidentally releasing our album a whole month early by punching in the wrong release date on the iTunes upload page. Not like anyone gives a poo poo about us, but had they done that with 3Teeth's debut album...