Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

Supposedly Sarah McLachlan signed her record contract on SP's tour bus and got into animal rights through them when they were both on Nettwerk.

Then there's the whole rumor about Jeffrey Dahmer supposedly picking up one of his victims at an SP show.

There are some weird SP factoids...

She was signed by that guy from Moev, so not sure how connected she was to Puppy other than the "six degrees .." thing from her work with Delerium.

I'm surprised no one has taken on the possibly Herculean task of substantiating that Puppy show rumor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

There's more and more Coil slowly getting added to iTunes but the selections are pretty random. There's like 5 different albums of Backwards material but no Musick To Play In The Dark.

No Love Spirals Downward which is easily their most accessible and would seem to be the one even casual fans would be clamoring to hear.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

david_a posted:

I don’t know if this is some joke about NIN collaborations that I’m not getting but that doesn’t appear to be a official release.

Yeah. I'm not sure how I hosed up that title. I meant Love's Secret Domain. Love Spirals Downward were a Projekt band? I get my LSD's mixed up. Also, the NIN/COIL thing was Recoiled which I'm pretty sure was an unoffical release. It's just the COIL remixes that did not get used from Fixed. It's pretty good if you want to hear some deconstructed Broken tracks.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

david_a posted:

Both Love’s Secret Domain and Recoiled are available for purchase on iTunes... There might be an unofficial Recoiled release with more content because the one on there is Gave Up and four TDS remixes (too lazy to check what the overlap is with Fixed and Further Down the Spiral). Based on the annoying Apple Music banner that shows up for both albums I assume you can stream them too.

Nah. That Recoiled on Spotify is the only Recoiled that I know. I have the LP. You are right though, it's not just stuff that did not end up on Fixed. It's a culmination of the version that didn't make the cut for Fixed along with things that were not used for Further Down the Spiral and the "Closer" single.

A human heart posted:

I don't really find Love's Secret Domain as accessible as a lot of their other work because it seems to be engaging with a lot of then current trends in electronic music, whereas many of the other releases feel less associated with a particular time and place.

I always found it their least experimental? Tracks like "Window Pane" and "The Snow" sound like the clubby techno stuff of the time, which for me was way more accessible than the stuff on "Musick to Play in the Dark." It's probably a clouded biased perspective on my part. That was the first COIL I heard, and I heard it VERY much in a time and space where industrial was everything and I spent too lost weekends in the early 90's grinding my teeth on lovely north east texas acid listening to that album. It wasn't until years later when I got into the rest of their catalog and noticed the progression in their sound.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 17, 2020

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Has anyone dug into that Leaether Strip admittedly beefy Puppy tribute Throwing Bones yet? As a die hard Skinny Puppy fan boi, listening to an artist practically next door in terms of style to the Pups cover songs so near and dear to me doesn't sound super appealing. Interested to see how what of the genre and this thread as a whole think of it.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

What are you right and wrong reasons?

Doing faithful covers of those tracks with some stylistic nuance just seem like the wrong reasons to me. :(

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Key had his DUBCON project, where he released a few albums with Ryan Moore (played drums for LPD). However, it very much has the vibe of "Key loving around in the studio while blazed" and probably doesn't really lend itself to your flavor of industrial as much as it sounds like Key's current solo work. I love his stuff, but in my opinion, his projects bounce between disco-esque techno (platEAU) to experimental electronica (DOWNLOAD) and then the stuff in between he just drops as a solo record.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

cEvin Key did the Amoeba What's in My Bag (Home Edition) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ldM6DQ24bA

He will say industrial many times and have some choice pulls.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I think my favorite silly compilation tribute album was Operation Beatbox which was the standard mid 90's b-list lineup (your 16Volts, Clay People, and Numb(!) covering classic hip-hop tracks. They don't dive too far into hip hop artists, so it's mostly Public Enemy and some Beastie Boys but still, it's a thing. Also, you could probably write a lazy thesis on the connection to hip-hop and "electro-industrial." This was Re-Constriction, not Cleo so it has that going for it.

Full album not easily searchable on youtube, so here's a twofer.

Numb covering Salt n' Pepa's "Push It" ... yeah, it's not the best thing and almost borders camp with the angry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NgAWzhGrd8

Battery covering Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise" ... I actually like this version as Battery at least adapted the song to their style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBr2Wm7yPlw

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Without Goettel, that just becomes a Key/Leeb side project?

I never really got into that first LP.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

cEvin Key's new solo album Resonance dropped. Ka-Spel and IAMX guest on some tracks, along with Miami Bass King/Papaya Channeler Otto Von Shcirach. It's good stuff if you're into Key's flavor of slightly dancey electronica with a dose of weird. I was holding out for my vinyl copy to show up before giving it a listen, but thanks to COVID and the drama around the original album title I caved and am listening on Spotify.

Key has been fairly active during the pandemic. Not sure what's going on with the other half of Puppy. Hopefully that dude is OK as well.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

He announced the announcement of a new Ohgr album before the pandemic but then never announced it so I am not sure what he is up to.

I saw some random "mysterious" quick footage that either he or Walk posted in his social media group, but yeah then everything went dark. I could see him taking the position of not wanting to release anything during a pandemic. He probably makes more money off touring merch than he would just straight record sales. Also I want to say he put Tricks through PledgeMusic and got screwed on that, with a situation where they didn't have any physical albums to sell on the tour. Hopefully he takes the bandcamp route this time.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 25, 2021

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Mark Walk (ohGr, Puppy, Ruby ..) popped into the ohGr social media group to drop a track from these guys.

https://orderofthestatictemplengp.bandcamp.com/track/shadow-and-agony

Looks like Matt Setzer (touring ohGr guitarists) is involved as well. It wears influences on it's black and red sleeve, but I can dig it.

Apologies in advance if this has already been linked here.

e: cleaner URL.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 19, 2021

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Skinny Puppy not dead. Film at 11.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Truth. If they do another major tour as Puppy again, it will most likely be the last.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

Apparently cEvin Key posted on his Patreon that Hellfest and any other shows are probably not possible now. Hellfest is a long way off in the future so I'm not real sure how to interpret that...

What a bummer, I was hoping the shows would lead to some new SP since it's been like 8 years now....

I love that band and the output of those guys both as working together and individually, but I fear/think Skinny Puppy is done. It will be sad if it's an unceremonious tweet that ends the band and not a farewell tour but it is what it is. At least that last tour slayed.

Key has been pretty active before and during the pandemic. Ogre went dark after that tour for Tricks came to an end.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Hedenius posted:

B. How is there an audience for new remixes of Silence in 2021? Who are these people?

Aging goths. The answer is always aging goths.

Also, was "Silence" really the brightest star? I was way more into "Incantation." That one slayed back in the day at #'s.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Clearly the Melvins and Corrosion of Conformity were far more industrial than FLA after deep analysis.

I guess the Melvins will play with anyone. Buzz doesn't seem like the kinda guy that would tolerate Al, but maybe I'm wrong. Still, the line up of that tour gels better with Ministry's sound for the last decade or so, yeah?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Key just posted an update to social media essentially confirming some suspicions in the fan base that they are most definitely NOT playing those European festival dates (Hellfest and Sinnerfest). He does leave it on a somewhat positive note, as I fully expected it to end with a "thanks for the memories, we're out" statement.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yeah. I always assumed we might get ONE more farewell tour from those two and then they would call it a day. Key will continue to churn out bleepity bloops and Ogilvie probably has one more album with Walk in him maybe? I don't know. As you mentioned, Ogre turns 60 in December and those live tours take a toll on the body for sure.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

no wait, wrong date

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 12, 2022

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

It was one of the first Puppy albums I truly got into back in High School. I had already drifted out of a comfort zone of Depeche Mode, The Smiths, New Order, and the Cure into things like Ministry's Land of Rape and Honey and Mind ... when a buddy from Journalism class let me borrow that record. It was so drat dense, but "Worlock" melted my seventeen year old brain. I'll always have a special place for it. "Rivers" and "Choralone" are top tier deep cuts.

The Voice of Labor posted:

it's going up against devo's automodown for lyrical subject matter which is an uphill battle

Rabies may be the last time they got really specific in terms of poltics? TDP has more general condemnations of the environment, and Last Rights is its own personal hell. The post-reunion stuff has lyrics that are not even in the same ball park. But this is the Electro-Industrial thread. Are we supposed to assess lyrical content?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 13, 2022

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I was only being half sarcastic. I absolutely pay attention to lyrical content, especially for bands I adore like Puppy.

Post Goettel, it gets even more abstract but he still pulls out some good lines.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

The Facebook Skinny Puppy community is literally the worst I've ever encountered. Overrun with alt-right fascists. It's so bizarre.

edit: "worst I've ever encountered" -- for a band that espouses the exact opposite values

For real. I follow it for the random helpful updates from the band, but if it’s not “WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE PUPPY TRACK” or “LOL NIN SUX” garbage it’s a lot of sketch opinions. It got even worse after Putin started to act out.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Not necessarily!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKiKBZjCDqk&t=1118s

this compilation was not good.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Does Fulber not usually tour with the BLeeb when they play out as FLA?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Leaether Strip has some stuff I really like, and some stuff I don't really care about but the insane number of covers he's done have really made me a fan. I love the way he approaches music even if his original stuff doesn't appeal. I'm not going to say his covers are better than the originals, but if I'm just driving I'd honestly rather listen to some of his covers than the Skinny Puppy, Ministry, etc originals.

I'll bite. Curious as to which Puppy covers from Leather Strip you prefer over the originals.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Maybe this is pure speculation, but could the sound of the new Puppy material be attributed to the idea that maybe it's just a Dropbox collaboration these days? My take is that the Kevins have a working relationship but they're not best buds or anything, and there's not these crazy studio jam sessions in the spirit of what happened back in the 80's and 90's. Key fucks around in the studio and says "yeah these tracks are probably good for puppy and not the bleepity-bloop hustle" and fires it off to Ogre who works up some lyrics and vocals. Mark Walk does a thing and voila, new Puppy track.

Super jealous of the gray beards and aging goths that got to see them in their prime. I'm a fan from golden era, but I only got the opportunity to see them on the GWOTR tour and everything after. I think we've discussed it before, but these days I wonder if they even bother with attempting a new release. Just do the needful, do the farewell tour and call it a day.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I know there's a Goth-centric thread archived somewhere, but I feel that there would definitely be some bleed over here for Depeche Mode and that a lot of the modern darkwave sound maybe owes something to them? I could be way loving wrong.

Anyway, Andrew "Fletch" Fletcher died.

https://twitter.com/depechemode/status/1529901182562340864/photo/1

These guys were so very much my high school soundtrack. I'm pretty sure Black Celebration never left my tape deck my entire Sophmore year. I got to see them on the Violator and it was EVERYTHING.

RIP.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

That's the long running joke (even among the band) for sure. Wilder brought a lot to the table, but when he peaced out after Songs of Faith and Devotion was it really only Gore doing the lion's share of the song writing? Gahan just channels synth pop Elvis and twirls.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kaddish posted:

I mean, to me, the ultimate band would be Gore/Gahan/Wilder/Clarke again with someone else to ground them.

It's never going to happen.

Pretty sure Clarke is happy being an unemotional DJ in Erasure. The story I heard was that Depeche Mode blew up big time when "Just Can't Get Enough" went crazy during the Speak & Spell era. Interviewers were asking Vince what sort of socks he liked to wear and he just noped the gently caress out.

I'm not sure why Wilder left. My head canon is that he was miserable during the Faith and Devotion tour when Gahan was eyeball deep into the H, but I think it may have had to do with the perceived lack of respect he got? Who knows. I'm surprised he never tried to patch things up with the other three. It's not like Recoil did much. I liked that first album with the track featuring Toni Halliday and the cover of "Faith Healer" wtih McCarthy but yeah ... not much going on. I think he played piano on "Somebody" at a benefit Gore did. That's may be the last time they did stuff together.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Voice of Labor posted:

what did the local industrial bands sound like when you were growing up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a4zhLtdRdI

242. They sounded like Front 242.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuQBqzuLd9s&list=RDZuQBqzuLd9s&start_radio=1&rv=ZuQBqzuLd9s&t=0

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

https://www.thighpaulsandra.co.uk/store/p222/Coil_-_Selvaggina%2C_Go_Back_into_the_Woods.html#/

Looks like Thighpaulsandra is reissuing some Coil live albums, starting with Selvaggina

INTERESTING. I've only heard live cuts from late era Coil live thing, which I think was released just prior to Balance passing. This one is also late era. 06/11/04 and he did in November.

I'm deeply curious as to what their live sound was like (if they even did that) in say the Love's Secret Domain era.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

Coil's Constant Shallowness Leads to Evil is being reissued next month.

Neat! This is one of the few things from their discography I have never heard.

The track list is a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant_Shallowness_Leads_to_Evil

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

KFMDM? They're touring and I believe Tampa is a date. There's some festival 242 is playing on the east coast.

Those are pretty much classic rock acts at this stage though, so anyone posting in this thread has probably had the opportunity to see them countless times.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Stolen from the post-Grunge thread.

If this actually happens, then happy to see Skinny Puppy get a show in 2023 but seeing a band notorious for a stage show complete with video, lights, special makeup effects and props in the middle of the afternoon in a desert has ZERO appeal to me.

Maybe those festival grounds have indoor venues, or they get an after dark set time?

Lots of nostalgia on that bill regardless.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 7, 2022

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Skinny Puppy activated on social media.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoWVaQZucyb/

This is 99.9999% a tour. I think Key has mentioned on new material, but I suspect it's his more of his bleepity bloop side (and maybe the soundtrack to a video game?)

Good for these dudes. Get that money. I'll probably catch some dates, especially if it's a farewell tour.

It would be awesome for a fresh remaster of Too Dark Park featured at the merch table, but beggars and all that.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

No huge surprise. I'll definitely throw money at the merch table. I'd honestly be super thrilled if they leaned into the "Farewell" vibe and kept it old school. I don't hate on the post-reunion albums but give me a "Spasmolytic" and more Last Rights cuts.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yeah. I'm really only familiar with the track that was on that Black Box comp from what seems like a lifetime ago. Good on Barker for getting out there, as the guy has definitely lived through some poo poo with Ministry but it's not the most exciting opener. I didn't hate his set when he opened for ohGr on the last tour, but my head was still very much in a "hurry up and let the headliner play."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

We got a House of Blues this time around in Houston. The sound is good, but nothing says "mouth the word your money" like $20 tall boys. I'll probably just gobble gummies and skip the high priced drinks. That way I can camp for the hopefully short Lead into Gold set.