Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kaddish posted:

I didn't see Skinny Puppy until their 'return,' but every show has been pretty good to me. The best was the first whenever Greater Wrong came out, but that could have been a little of 'holy poo poo I'm seeing Skinny Puppy' energy.

Same, same.

That one probably had the most production value. The Mythmaker tour that opened with "Anger" complete with the shadow box effects harking back to the visuals from Ain't It Dead Yet was pretty loving great though.

Their last tour had a ridiculous set list including "Candle" and "Killing Game."
Those haven't seen the light of day in a hot minute. I'm hoping for a "Knowhere?" or some of the gnarlier tracks from Last Rights on this one. "Icebreaker" would be epic too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

If they're a bucket list band for you, they still put on a decent show. If you're in it for their classic work, you might be disappointed. The set lists have been big on recent albums with a few of the classic staples for good measure. Still, it's very much arena rock with a huge light show and Gahan still has the moves. A fun time if that's your thing. Just don't go in expecting a wave of nostalgia with a set full of classic deep cuts.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Philthy posted:

Sisters tix in Chicago came to $78/ea after all the fees for me.

Ticket prices are weird. I got Morbid Angel tix that was 2for1 and it came to $80 for a "single" ticket after fees. Vader in Chicago was $31 after fees. Legendary Pink Dots was $25/ea after fees. The Milwaukee Metal Fest that is three days with 40 bands is $140 a day, or just over $400 for all three days. There is another metalfest happening in a smaller venue here in town with just as many bands and Flotsam & Jetsam, Massacre, and a bunch of others over three days for $120 total after fees. Amon Amarth/Obituary/Carcass/Cattle Decapitation was $40.. FLA was $28/ea after fees. TKK was $25/ea. Stromkern was $12. Revco (final show @ metro)/StromKern/Rein was $45.

It's all over the place.

Skinny Puppy is pushing a poo poo ton of merch on Facebook. And it's all mostly great looking shirts and stuff. Cevin sold out of his pre-order synth yesterday at $750/ea. They know they can charge a lot because Puppy fans will pay it. I'll be paying it without hesitation. I hope this sparks them to keep going somehow, honestly.

I don't think they're going to keep going as Puppy but hopefully it pushes though to continue doing projects. Key will probably do his electronica projects forever. I saw a blurb on social media where he's opening for IAMX. I just wonder if Ogre continues with Mark Walk project/band or not.

Based on the Puppy group on Facebook it seems that a TON of die hard fans haven't been to a show since the Too Dark Park tour. LOTS of outrage over ticket prices.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Semantic Spaces was my jam.

Before "Silence" there was "Incantation" and it always annihilated the dance floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFR19X6GSVg

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.spin.com/2023/03/5-albums-i-cant-live-without-ogre-and-cevin-key-of-skinny-puppy/

I've seen Key's choices before I think, from What's In My Bag? but Ogre's are neat.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I saw a setlist posted on Facebook of the SP farewell tour and it looked pretty underwhelming. I was hoping they'd pull out all the stops for their final tour but there wasn't really anything truly new there. Kinda glad I opted to sit out because of ticket price issues.

I was at the Houston date. It was a good time in terms of hearing those songs again, but you are absolutely dead on in that there was nothing in that setlist I had not heard on previous tours. The band started later so they bumped against the venue mandated hard stop and didn't get as many encores. The stage show was fun enough, and they sounded great but I guess I'm to my grave never hearing "Spasmolytic" or "Knowhere?" live. Crowd seemed into it and they played all ragers.

So long Puppy. I wouldn't hate on a Farewell Tour live album when it's all over.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

It's on social media. Some new t-shirts specifically for the tour, a hoodie, maybe some leggings? A tour poster as well. Lead into Gold vinyl and probably a t-shirt for that project too. The hoodie is of the pullover variety, no zipper.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 11, 2023

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

thotsky posted:

Worlock, Assimilate, Tin Omen and Spasmolytic. Are there any other musts?

I've seen then several times, but sadly none of the shows were the classic era with Dwayne. Those are definitely the staples. Two of them get played this tour. One might be an encore, and the final one is just part of my rock and roll fantasy now.

Pretty sure they've done Worlock on every tour (maybe every set) since Rabies. Probably their number one live crowd pleaser.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kaddish posted:

Yeah I've seen SP 3 times and don't think they ever played Testure. I know they did Dogshit/VX Gas Attack, and maybe others from that album.

Also not sure I've heard Addiction, Deep Down Trauma Hounds, lots of stuff that would be cool to see live.

I also feel like Last Rights as been ignored, at least that I can remember.,

They will usually pull a "Love in Vein" and/or "Inquisition" from Last Rights. The most recent tour prior to the farewell (Down the Sociopath in 2015) featured "Killing Game." "Testure" has been an encore on several tours, and "Addiction" was in the main set list for the In Solvent See tour. "Deep Down Trauma Hounds" got into the main set on the Shapes for Arms tour.

The main set list for this tour pretty much pulls 2 tracks each from the classic era of vivisectvi to Last Rights, one each from the Process and the post reunion albums, and then a sampling of the old school action.

e: They punch up "Testure" live in my opinion, and it's less the dance floor stomper than it is on the album.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kaddish posted:

I stand corrected! In my defense, I am old.

Pretty sure we all are in this thread ;)

I do think they avoid some of the more meaty deep cuts from Last Rights. "Inquisition" and "Love in Vein" are fun and all, but man get weird and do "circustance" or "knowhere?" I get that that album probably takes them back to not a good place, but it's not like Ogre hasn't done songs about his coke habit since. Hell, let Key gently caress around and jam on "Download."

hatelull fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 20, 2023

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

PinkoBastard posted:

It makes my head spin when people defend Repo!, and it’s got a pretty big cult following. That movie fuckin’ sucks rear end

Based on what I've seen on social media, the devout Repo! fans seem to all be EXTREMELY devoted to anything that Ogre does to a sycophantic level.

Or maybe they just REALLY like musicals and never got over that one episode of Buffy.

Farewell tour related:

Key will obviously continue to do his bleepity bloop projects and collaborate with other synth heads. I wonder if Ogre will just stay low after this. He's suffered injury/illness on the last two tours he's done now I think.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Digging this HEALTH track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QywKQkFge78

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I mean, T-Rez certainly did his fair share of the Class A's and there's the story about the circle jerks or whatever during that Broken/Downward Spiral years but that was all bandmates or something. I think Manson is the only real awful person on that thing still, if you don't go after Bowie. Corgan has horrible politics and arguably stopped making good albums in the late 90's, but nothing on Mansons level.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Speaking of 3TEETH ....

https://consequence.net/2023/07/best-industrial-albums-all-time/

Consequence did a thing. New as of TODAY.

I feel like they could have dug deeper and dropped White Zombie and Static-X in favor or some lesser known options. Also, their number one is not my pick in any reality, especially when the best record the band ever released is sitting at number 10.

Personal bias, but VivisectVI is waaaay to high on the list. It deserved top 20 at least.

The ONE TKK record is dumb and was too disco for me but whatever.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I think Land of Rape and Honey is the better album, but I think Psalm 69 had the bigger cultural relevance. New World Order and Jesus Built My Hotrod were everywhere for years after that album came out, and I'd put that album at peak Ministry in the zeitgeist.

On a Ministry tangent, I remember being miffed way back in the day that Du Hast was just ripping off the riff from Just One Fix. Then year's later I found out my favorite Ministry song, Stigmata, was just Al stealing Big Black's Racer X. I was just listening to some Melvins last week and just realized my second favorite Ministry Song, Filth Pig, was just Al stealing Night Goat.

I can't remember the exact track, but I'm pretty sure Al lifted a section of "Thieves" straight out of a Wire song.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Clearly Consequence of Sound is scraping this thread for hits. They followed up yesterdays decisive list with yet another Top Ten. This one is a top ten industrial tracks penned by the dude from 3TEETH.

I still don’t listen to that band but not hating on his persona choices.

https://consequence.net/2023/07/3teeth-alexis-mincolla-industrial-playlist/

hatelull fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 19, 2023

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Absolutely NOT trying to turn shill for Consequence, but Al did the top ten list too.

https://consequence.net/2023/07/al-jourgensen-essential-industrial-albums-crate-digging/

His picks absolutely align with what Ministry was and how they progressed through their seminal years.

They also dropped a Top 50 Industrial Songs Of All Time! (or at least up until the 20th of July in the year of our lord two thousand and twenty-three).
https://consequence.net/2023/07/best-industrial-songs-list/

It mostly reads like a greatest hits compilation Rhino records might put out as a tacky box set. Some of the goofy outliers that showed up in the Artists lists, and I'm sure the Filter song at number 8 is going to roll some eyes here.

The number one song is from 1989.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I was happily surprised to see the Murder Inc. track show up on that list.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

In case you missed it, Puppy is doing another short list of dates. FINAL final I guess.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvInzG9BnUt/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

cEvin Key dropping another Brap & Forth soon. If you're into analog synth jams and stoner bleepity bloop noise this is probably worth checking out.

https://brap.bandcamp.com/album/brap-and-forth-vol-9?from=fanpub_fb

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'll probably pick this up but I'm kinda interested in a proper Back And Forth with post 1996 SP outtakes and maybe some of the juicier Patreon stuff. It blew my mind there he threw up a lost Too Dark Park song on his Patreon that feels 95% done other than having no vocals, and hardly anyone has gotten to

I honestly wonder if there were any post '96 outtakes. I don't know if the recording processes for the post-reunion albums were anywhere near as organic as they were for the golden years. My completely uninformed head canon says that Key just made beats and synth hook structures and sent them to Ogre. Ogre then just figures out what works with the stuff he's been writing. Anything that meets the intersection of the Venn Diagram becomes a Puppy track. Anything that does not gets shuffled off to platEAU, Download, or Ogre's other band. Mmmmaybe they have a few b-sides and unreleased Puppy things kicking around, but I bet they save all that for a final Back and Forth after they finish the farewells.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Photex posted:

new KMFDM is out, few songs in and it's not bad? it's obviously not their best but it's by far not their worst.

I will need answers from this thread now. What is the absolute WORST KMFDM album?

Bonus Round:
What is the absolute WORST KMFDM song?
Please note the worst song obviously does not need to appear on the worst album.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Was that album that bad?
It's just the blueprint for most everything they did post Adios I thought ..

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

thotsky posted:

Rivers by Skinny Puppy feels like genre parody, it's nonstop movie quotes.

I mean, sure if a song like that dropped in 2024 but it was 1989 and they were thriving on samples in that period. They even did a call back to that track on Last Rights.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I get it, I like the samples too. I just don't understand the hot take on "Rivers" being a genre parody.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kaddish posted:

New Ministry today.

Totally forgot I have Ministry/Gary Numan/FLA tickets this month.

Most excited to see Gary Numan, even if I don't really listen to his stuff very often.

Same. I have only a middling interest in an FLA set (hopefully they do some bangers off of TNI) and I've seen Ministry enough to know what to expect there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I caught that Front Line Assembly, Numan, and Ministry show last night.

Turns out those bangers like "Burning Inside" and "So What" are still fun as gently caress to see live. Catharrtic.