Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Oh god the stuff being revealed about Forge of Darkness is turning everything I knew about the series upside down. I'm actually really reluctant to mention them here in case someone hovers over the wrong thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Masonity posted:

At least link us to these reveals so we can spoil ourselves?
Here, look out for posts a few pages in by pat5150 and Malaclypse in particular not all of which are spoiler boxed.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Just got to the point in Forge of Darkness (about 1/3 through) where Draconus and party meet Grizzin Farl and my new Ruthan Gudd theory is that he is Grizzin Farl.

Definitely not Arathan, since in the meeting with Draconus that Ruthan Gudd recalls Draconus refers to him as 'friend.' Arathan is almost certainly the 'Elder' soul in Quick Ben, especially since Draconus wants to talk with Quick Ben pretty much as soon as he gets out of Dragnipur.

My evidence:

1) Grizzin Farl calls Draconus 'friend.' When Arathan asks about that, Draconus tells him that Grizzin Farl calls everyone his friend. Ruthan Gudd recalls meeting Draconus at the edge of Kallor's empire and Draconus calls him 'friend' then. I was more convinced until just now when I read that it was Draconus and not past Ruthan Gudd that said 'friend' but it could still work.

2) Grizzin Farl is half Azathanai (which we know eventually become, or become known as, Elder Gods) and half Thel Akai. Ruthan Gudd insists he's not an Elder God, though the Unbound call him Elder. The Thel Akai homeland is Jacuruku. When Ruthan Gudd escapes from the Azath, his first thought is 'Jacuruku, you've changed.'

It's pretty circumstantial, but it's fun to try to speculate.
There was a bit of speculation about that on the official Malazan forums, and when someone asked Erikson about it he said they weren't the same but he also said (TTH spoiler) there were no Hounds of Light so it's at least possible, I guess. Ignore this, I misremembered the Erikson quote about Ruthan Gudd only not being an Elder God rather than specifically Grizzin Farl.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Eres'al: We first see her in House of Chains where she rapes Trull and gets pregnant, giving birth to what may have been a child character in Midnight Tides, and which is possible due to time fuckery

Monok Ochem: Yeah, in the end of Bonehunters he gets welded to the First Throne mid Icarium rage.

Also Forge of Darkness is pretty good - short compared to a Book of the Fallen novel and it peters out towards the end something terrible - but I'm really looking forward to the next two in this trilogy.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

xwonderboyx posted:

I just finished Toll the Hounds and I only really have one question: what caused the moon to explode near the end? I was up pretty late reading and it was all, oh and then the moon blew up it was rad. I feel like I missed something important :(

Basically, remember those jade giants? Specifically the ones Heboric saw coming through space towards a giant rift back in House of Chains while on a tea bender? Best guess is that it was the next wave after the ones you see in The Bonehunters exploding through the moon. It'll get a bit clearer in the next couple of books.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

pakman posted:

Bonehunters: Quick was also referred to as a ceda in a previous book where he conjured the illusion spell with Bottle on the boat and got help from the Eres'al. The Edur on the other ships were fooles by the Warren of Mockra into thinking QB was a Ceda.

I believe that took place in another book, but i may be mis-remembering.

You're thinking of the same scene in the same book.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Most of the Jaghut-Imass wars were around 300,000 years before Burn's Sleep, the First Empire predates the Fall of the Crippled God by about a century (MOI) and existed at the very least from 120,000 to 90,000 years (DG), and possibly to 70,000 years before Burn's Sleep (MT). Any dates more precise than a decade or two aren't really reliable.

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Arathan is mentioned in the Book of the Fallen, albeit not directly. (Midnight Tides) Spite mentions to Lanas Tog that 'a misguided sibling who'd thought he was being kind' rescued Baaljagg, the last ay, to have Fanderay's soul inhabit her. We see this rescue when Toc receives a vision. Since this happened after the fall of the Crippled God, Arathan is around at least until then.

I found the quote, by the way, in a Malazan forums thread from 2006 arguing that the 'he' there was an error by the editor. Whoops!

That could have been me in that thread, haha. I love being proven wrong about this series (swearing blind that there would be no Hounds of Light since Erikson said so, for instance)

dwarf74 posted:

Man, I have forgotten a ton about Quick Ben from GotM. I can't remember if we ever saw two things come to fruition:

1. He smells of spice like soletaken.
2. Ammanas calls him a shapeshifter, also implying soletaken.

My brain is just collapsed under too much lore.

We know two things about that subject, that he IS a soletaken and he isn't a snake soletaken. Although that last part is from Erikson's direct word so take it how you want.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Masonity posted:

Unless I'm mistaken we only have his word that it was an illusion, and that claim was only made when he was asked how he managed it? I could have misremembered that though.

Yeah, he said that it was only an illusion and then he got freaked out when the Eres channelled actual power into it through Bottle.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

While Kallor is pretty much one of my favourite characters in the series, I always liked people feeling more sympathetic to him after reading Toll The Hounds, which has a scene where he flashbacks to dashing his newborn children's heads against a wall in front of their mothers, literally moments after birth.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Must needs, convergence...

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

User posted:

How many First Empires are there? There have to be at least two human ones, right? Kallor's was destroyed by the calling down of the Crippled God and Dessimbelackis's was destroyed by the soletaken and d'ivers ritual. I don't recall whether there is enough information to figure out chronological order either.

The MOI prologue states that Kallor's empire came second by something like a few decades and lasted about sixty to seventy years before being destroyed in the Fall of the Crippled God. The First human Empire lasted from then, 120,000ish years before the present day, to certainly 90,000 years in the past and probably 70,000 years in the past, based on (DG) Icarium's city destruction and and his visiting it ninety thousand years ago and (MT) the Ceda's suggestion to Brys that the offshoot of the First Empire that became Lether first established itself seventy thousand years ago, the more zeroes line. So at least 30,000 and probably 50,000 years of the First Empire.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

No idea, I'm about twenty pages into it and already we have:

(relatively minor, skim the start of the book spoilers)

K'azz, Skinner, Ardata and muthafuckin' Kallor all being on the same continent and the Dramatis Personae has Osserc, L'oric, Gothos and (probable Forge spoiler) Old Man Moon, an elder listed too. Now I'm just hoping those who were in Return get written a lot better in this book.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Leospeare posted:

And I believe the corpse was Binadas Sengar.

Best thing was the murder weapon changing from a harpoon to a Barghast spear midflight. Not quite up there with Lorn's sword in MOI for plot discrepancies, but it's the little things that you notice.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

You really shouldn't care how anyone pronounces Malazan terms, every time Erikson's been asked he's stated it's however you want to. Also his are all wrong, creator be damned.

Oh, and Kallor's empire was concurrent with the First Empire, just formed slightly - 70 years or so slightly - afterwards. also lasting about a thousand times less long

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

You're both right. One of the largest fragments of Emurlahn, at least.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Cartheron Crust was one of the Emperor's Old Guard, who along with his brother Urko were both Admirals, and along with most of Kellanved's close associates when Surly became Laseen, they drowned. 'Drowned'.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

It's loving Kyle, dudes. Last we saw of him he was going home to Assail after fighting with the Malazans using a white-bladed sword. And 'Traveller' is currently occupied with (Orb Scepter Thorne ending spoilers) leading the Seguleh.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

apophenium posted:

The Jaghut Tyrant like from GotM?

Nah, the BAFTA Tyrant almost certainly isn't a Jaghut.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

You can't convince me that there's a better Kallor than Christopher Walken.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Perpetual Notion posted:

I would be interested in seeing who people think should play Karsa

All Teblor, Toblakai, Jaghut, Jhag and Trell should be played by Ron Perlman in a variety of different costumes, skin colours and fake teeth/tusks.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Robot Danger posted:

I would just love to see the events that take place in Darujhistan at night. That would be incredibly cinematic with all the blue flames glowing everywhere.

Especially the scene with Kruppe, and Pust.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

apophenium posted:

As expansive as Erikson's magic system is, I was surprised there aren't any warrens that deal with time, at least not explicitly. I can't imagine the ramifications that would have on the plot, but it would be a little fun I'm sure.

The Eres explicitly utilises time travel, pretty much whenever she appears.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Wow, I have never see anyone dislike Tehol and Bugg enough to call them the Jar Jar Binks of Malazan.

Also if you care about what Erikson says about characters, he's stated that Ruthan Gudd isn't an Elder God, so not Grizzin Farl. He has said things weren't appearing in the books that have later in the series though, so pinch of salt and all that.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

thecallahan posted:

Holy poo poo, just finished Deadhouse Gates and the last third or so of the book did not let up at all but what's funny, of all the things that happened and all the mysteries left unresolved.. I really want to know what that marine wrote to Duiker.

If you read the scene at the end where the two things find Duiker, they read the note and it's her name, Sa'yless Lorthal.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I forget, but he may have also written that monument Karsa and chums find early on in HoC. He may have just been named in it though, it's been a while and a friend left my copy next to an open window during a thunderstorm.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Pretty much, there's been a few books that overlap other ones.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I always got the impression that Kalam was on the more human side of the power spectrum, albeit near the top, whereas Laseen is (Return spoilers) killing Avowed with her bare hands plus all the stuff the other Old Guard went through, which predated Kalam's recruitment.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

ICE's Assail got pushed back till August 5th, but they have posted the prologue here. It features everyone's favourite, Kyle. He even gets a proper malazan name!

I counted four copyediting mistakes so hopefully there'll be a spell of that before it's actually published. Other than that p good!

Yeah, some interesting stuff there and I'm probably going to have to reread the other ICE books at some point buuuuuuuut

quote:

the entrance to the inland Dread Sea—which some also called the Sea of Dread.
Really!?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

In one of the main sequence books someone remembers Draconus coming among them pretending to be Tiste when he's definitely not, so it's foreshadowed early. Also let us know what you think when you finish!

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I should reread Forge sometime but I vaguely remember the events at the very, very end involving Mother Dark and Draconus's gift possibly causing the splitting off of Kurald Galain from the rest of the planet, so that stuff you remember from the HoC prologue wouldn't be too messed up. That said, Forge just shits all over your prior canon beliefs so I wouldn't worry about it.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I still can't imagine why they picked, out of all the awesome events in the book (probably the most 'events connected loosely' out of all the series) they picked the wagon rolling down the slope.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Holy_Zarquon posted:

Okay, I need some clarification I think. (Mid-Bonehunters right now)

Who is King of High House Chains? I thought the position was given to Kallor in MoI, but now I'm fairly sure it's Rhulad. What does that make Kallor then?

It was offered to him, but Rhulad was there first/a better candidate/crazy enough to take the role. Kallor filled the role of Reaver for a time instead.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

One of my favourite things about the series is that the list of the Malazan Empire's High Mages include names like Tayschrenn, Nightchill, Bellurdan Skullcrusher, A'Karonys, Tesormalandis, and Stumpy.

You think they'd be a Low Mage, surely.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Huh, apparently Erikson did an AMA on Reddit yesterday? And "Cam is presently working on the first novel of Early Empire (well, pre-Empire, in fact), called Dancer's Lament (nice title)." so interesting stuff in there.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Ccs posted:

I'm working my way through Toll The Hounds right now. It's okay. Sorta cool to see Darujhistan again. But there's so many characters I don't really care about, and the Tiste Andii are such sadsacks. Everyone weeping all the time for a reason I don't fully understand. They just live too long.

The best* bit is that the group in TTH are literally the youngest Andii in existence.

*not the best

Don't worry, they do improve later on in the book.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Nah, he deliberately stated he'd be doing the follow up trilogies slower than the Book as to not have the same editing issues as the end of the series.

Also finally got around to finishing Assail, and it's both a tiny bit better than I'd expected and much, much worse than I'd hoped.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Gothos is amazing and I wish we got more of him. One of my favorite bits of Malazan trivia about him, although I don't remember where exactly it's mentioned - you know Gothos' Folly, the big book of everything secret, magical unusual and philosophical that someone occassionally finds a couple of scrolls (from approximately several hundred) from? That was his suicide note.

"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon." (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Vaguely remember it being either roughly halfway so needed to be rationed, to meet up with D'rek in the form of the Snake, or both. It's been a while though.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

himajinga posted:

Just finished Deadhouse Gates after putting it down midway through a few months ago and jumped right in to MoI. Just got to Toc the Younger, as of this point, what's his deal? Can't remember who he is/ what happened to him in the first two books. Don't want to Google it and get spoiled.

Basically Hairlock threw him into a portal to Chaos, like a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

SansPants posted:

That's right. TCG spoiler It shows up in the body of an en'karal and heals Kalam after he assassinates the Forkrul Assail in the Perish camp.

I honestly think giant enkaral-brained toblakai guy was completely forgotten about by Erikson, just like Lorn's otataral sword Paran is holding during Memories of Ice.

Also SE's wife is a lovely lady who is terrified of nerds and I apparently got drunk and really annoyed SE to the point he actively thinks I'm a huge rear end in a top hat during the house party I met him and his wife at about eight-nine years ago, at least he's only the second richest person I've personally pissed off and if Tim Burton hasn't had me assassinated yet he probably won't either

(TTH spoiler) That was when I asked him if we'd see any other Hounds, like of Light, and he told me they specifically didn't exist well before TTH came out, so I wouldn't trust all his out-of-book statements.