Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm about to finish book 7 and uh... did Erickson go through a divorce between book 6 and 7 because there's a lot of weird psychosexual poo poo out of no where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Isn’t there implied use of it during the campaign against the Panion Domin? Whiskey jack is just hiding the use of it from their new allies since they know betrayal is an eventuality.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Dark Wind posted:

Just finished reading Midnight Tides and whoof what an awesome read, definitely one of my favorite books in the series so far. I keep liking each book more and more, which is really great. One question: How far back does this book take place? I thought it was a huge amount of time, but considering the Crimson Guard/references to Kellanved/etc. which I assumed happened only a few decades before where most of the other books take place, it sounds like MT didn't take place that far back? A little confused on timelines here.

Short answer is, it’s wonky. The whole series is presented as a historical account, so true to form, there conflicting dates on accounts. According to dates printed in the books, MT happens about 4-6 years before the fall of Pale. The chapter where Trull is shorn is listed as 1159 Burn’s Sleep and the Fall of Pale is 1163.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 15, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CoolHandMat posted:

Kruppe was backed by Elder Kruul i believe. I dont think that it was all him.

He can also use magic without accessing a warren so there’s something at least.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

pile of brown posted:

Also aren't the Barghast like direct cultural descendents of the Imass so probably a lot of those traditions and hosed up customs were passed down from the Imass. I don't recall them being that chill in flashbacks from Tool/Onrack either really.

Yeah, there was that bit that implied Any sort of failure was met with expulsion from the tribe, and that failure included getting hurt on a hunt.

I'm currently going through Toll the Hounds and I am so glad I"m listening to it instead of reading it. It's much easier to put up with chapter after chapter of everyone wanting to suck Rake's dick to get to the chapters with Bridgeburner or Grundle and Mappo's Exceleent Adventure when it's a passive experience.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
When the new narrator took over for Deadhouse Gates I think it took me halfway through the book to realize Tavore was Parma’s sister from the first book with how different the pronunciation was.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

pile of brown posted:

Wait until you find out it's actually pronounced Felisin

It’s not pronounced Felisin?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Suxpool posted:

tavore is briefly mentioned in deadhouse gates. felisin is the pov character.

Oh I thought he was just making a “Actually its pronounced ‘swords’” joke.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I figure you can look at it one of two ways, either Erickson accidentally contradicts himself because he forget he mentioned something offhandedly. I.e. Dudjek being mentioned to be part of the founding of the Empire but also born 20 years after it was founded.

Or, since the whole series is meant to be presented as a historical retelling of the events from several different authors, the in-universe writers are going off stories that have started to acquire legendary status and are already stretching truth.

There’s enough mentions of bards and historians distorting the truth to tell better stories in the military parts of the series to make the second idea plausible.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Nah, most of the original gang were already potential Ascendants, or became so before Gardens of the Moon happened. Also the Malaz empire is maybe 20 years old, tops.

Gardens of the Moon states that the empire was founded in 1058 and the novel starts in 1164. We also don’t really know actual life expectancy for the setting. A lot of people could just be really long lived due to some portion of Thelomen blood in their ancestry and we already know they are a long lived species, Karsa is 80 years old when we meet him. The Krusts definitely had some Thelomen blood in them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah it's definitely very purple/clumsy in places but it's often quite beautiful and poetic

The best is the start of the book and Baruque(sp? I’m a filthy audible listener) is pouring through histories trying to find something that will help Rake. He gets to a time period where all the histories are written in the same style as Toll The Hounds was and complains about them being useless self indulgent crap.

That said, I’m about 2/3rds through Dust of Dreams and did Erickson have a bad breakup when he was writing this book and Toll the Hounds or something? He seems to be treating his women characters worse and worse.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Man with Hat posted:

Another really good duo that is seldom mentioned is Pores and Kindly. The relationship between them is one of the best ones in the books.

But Tehol and Bugg are still better.

I loved the bit in Dust of Dreams where the one captain wistfully wishes he had a malicious lieutenant like Kindly does to constantly match wits with.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just about to finish book 9 and just have a quick question, do they ever explain why why the forkrul assail are so much weaker in the back half than they were in the front half of the books? I mean the first two we meet, one ha been crushed under a rock for millennia and is still kicking and the other hands Royals and Trull their asses. The next one we meet is killed in a single stroke by The Watch.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just finished my two year listen of the series on audiobook and I have a question.

What was that in the last book about Quick Ben’s suddenly having a connection to Mother Dark and whomever Ruthan Gudd is. I mean, it makes sense given how cagey he was around Rake. Did they ever say whether one of the souls he collected in Raraku was Andii?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Man with Hat posted:

I loved it when I realized on my reread that it is revealed that Crone and the Great Ravens are the flesh of TCG in pretty much the first introduction to Great Ravens in the very first book. Then it's just not mentioned until the very end.

Kruppa starts to mention it Memories of Ice and Crone nearly rips his face off for mentioning it in polite company.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I guess I'd just be more comfortable if it was done like a Secondary Source, with nice convenient conversations where people analyse all the conflicting reports.

Or I'm just being an awkward bugger. Some of the contradictions I love (the giant clusterfuck that was Aren) and others irrationally piss me off or feel like retcons (whatever the heck the deal is with the Daughters of Shadow)

The series is meant to mimic an in universe history. “The Malazan Book of the Fallen” is an existing book in the setting. Erickson goes out of his way to portray this in Toll the Hounds by switching styles to cover certain areas of the story.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There definitely is, I’m pretty sure it’s mentioned that the ritual was meant to be a short cut to give everyone the power of the first heroes. Plus the Forkrul Assail god turning into a D’verse at the moment of death would predate the first empire by a few thousand years too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Isn't it because Midnight Tide spoiler The k'chain che'malle performed that ritual that cut the elder races off from their sources of power?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Its been maybe 4 years since I finished The Crippled God and I tried diving back in with The Gods Not Willing. Found myself putting it down to browse the wikia to jog my memory about a character and falling in a wiki hole that take the entire night 3 times so far.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I'm getting past it okay. And it's less the actual repeating characters but the marine's names tend be kind of reminiscent so I have to double check sometimes if I'm supposed to know these people besides the obvious one.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mischief posted:

That said, y'all can loving have the Kharkanas trilogy. Just miserable books. Give me more Karsa.

Erickson talking about the play session Karsa comes from made me lose it. it's the same trick he used in the novel. The player didn't know he was playing a giant and that children was slang for regular sized humans. He was facing some serious existential dread over Erickson telling him it was time for him to 'go into the valley and kill the children you find.' He only found out when he charged the city and Erickson described the front gate being the same size as Karsa

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My money is that he ultimately want nothing to do with Karsa and that's what piques Karsa's interest. Since he'd be the first teblor unwilling to accept the chains of family even if he's too willing to accept the ones of obligation.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alhazred posted:

The Felisin story has an amazing pay off though: Her sister kills her and never discover it. Felisin dies without knowing that her sister tried to save her.

Felisin knows, she finds out really early that Baucus was a thorn sent to break her out at the earliest opportunity. This just pisses her off and she drives him away.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jaxyon posted:

That section is intended to be a very unreliable narrator, and a counter to the noble savage mythos(along with the Barghast). Lots of fans like him(karsa) but if it's because of that section, and not the "society sucks and is exploitive, and I will destroy it" stuff, then I'm VERY wary of those fans. Given all the comments and stuff that SE has said in interviews, facebook, blogs etc, I tend to believe him that he's not trying to glorify sexual violence.

Unfortunately, he also doesn't shy away from showing it, which I don't think is strictly necessary.

Considering Karsa started as a 'how uncomfortable can I make my friend' joke in a one on one rpg session, he probably enjoys making people squirm about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
For me the Sugeleh were just the scene in the Simpsons where Himer really wanted to watch to fight to see the cool stuff the yakuza just standing there were going to do. I get they have more of the spotlight is Esselmont's books, but....