Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

zokie posted:

Also in one of the earlier books QB said he kept away from Rake because he could see who he really was. But it could be that he just calls Mother Dark "Mother" because it's a title or something, it seems that he gets the power to compell her from the Sceptre of Darkness or whatever...

I think this was more with regards to Rake being able to see that he had more than himself residing in his body. Not necessarily Andii blood, just that he wasn't a normal guy with one soul.

edit: Does anyone else feel like they're reading some redacted CIA brief or something every time they come to this thread? Even regarding stuff that happened in books half a decade old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Daico posted:

Well yeah, but even in the last page or two we've had people comment that they're just starting the series.

Though new thread title: The Malazan Book of the [Redacted]

Yeah, I totally understand. I started the books 2 months ago because of this thread. Prior to that I had never even heard of them. I also spoil things for myself all the time. If I see a black box I have to mouse over and see what it says, it's like telling me not to look down. This thread just sticks to the spoiler tags unlike any other I've been in. I think the Wheel of Time thread had a month long redaction period after the last book came out and then once it was lifted no black boxes anywhere.
Kudos to you all for sticking to it :)

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

I'm halfway through Midnight Tides and I just want to say I love Tehol and Bugg. I would totally read a book about them in a buddy comedy type of thing. I don't care so much about what's going on with the Edur so much. I like Trull and am interested how he ended up where he was in House of Chains, but I really look forward to Tehol and his antics.

edit: I want Bugg to be the Errant or some other bad rear end person who kind of just wandered off over time, like K'rul.

Tooter fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 7, 2011

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

I'm still on Tides and I read spoilers because they don't really seem to bother me knowing what's going on. But drat if TCG stuff doesn't piss me off that I'm not there yet. Not that I'm going to mind reading the rest of the series but I want to see what happens!

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

House of Chains is awesome because you get to really get into Karsa and he just wrecks everyone's poo poo. Memories of Ice for me was great because you get to meet Caladan Brood and Rake's group, answering a lot of questions I had from the first book regarding history of the differing groups. For me though, Midnight Tides is the best because it introduces Tehol and Bugg. I'm on Reapers Gale and still love those guys. I would tune in weekly to a sitcom Bosom Buddies style with those guys.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Forge of Darkness is messing with my brain. I'm 150 pages in and my entire world has been turned upside down. I don't know what to believe anymore

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm curious when the series really "hooked" people. For me, reading the first time, it seems to have happened around Chapter 9 of Gardens of the Moon Lorne and Dujek strategizing, Confrontation with Tattersail and Lorne, conversation between Paran and Tattersail, introduction of T'lan Imass and what they signify Seems around that time that the book started to feel truly epic, and as of Chapter 16 the epicness has just continued to increase. So many "holy poo poo" moments.

I honestly barely remember my first Gardens of the Moon read other than the fact I had absolutely no idea what was going on. I was hooked from the second chapter, mostly because of this thread. I finished Crippled God about a month ago and still have no idea what was going on. Now I'm into Forge of Darkness and really have no clue what happened. This series is amazing

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

ulmont posted:

How you figure? Gardens of the Moon is $6 on Amazon, the rest are either $8 (through Toll the Hounds) or $8.54 (Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God), for a total of around $79, and the collection is $58.25.

It is $85 for the Nook. If it was $60 I would buy it since I"m missing the digital copies of the first three books. I should sell my Nook to fund this

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Just finished Forge of Darkness. I want the rest of the series to be done already! That book took everything I thought I knew and understood and just turned it on its head. Spectacular!

Tooter fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 6, 2014

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Suxpool posted:

This is my favorite Malazan review of all time. It sums up my feelings on the books perfectly. Or at least it would if I had the slightest idea what was going on in any of these books.

As much as I still have no idea what exactly is happening in no way dampened the sheer awesomeness of this series. The deeper it goes the better it gets. Even if I am confused about how it all works or how it will all turn out I love every second of it. Even the Esslemont books are still entertaining enough for me to get through them and enjoy the World and its characters.
I want more, I need more, it's like peeling an onion and as much as I may cry I need to see it through to the end and know all of its tasty secrets.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Quinton posted:

Has anyone bought this, and if so, does it have all the horrible OCR errors that many of the early books in the series suffered in ebook form or did they fix that? (poor Toc the Younger often being Toe the Younger, and so on)?

Personally, I'd prefer for them to update the books I already paid for to not be mangled, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

I bought it and am halfway through Gardens of the Moon. It does not have any errors that I have noticed and my original read through.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

I wouldn't mind a book just dedicated to the Seguleh. All of the parts that involved them were bad rear end and engaging. Also, I loved Iron Bars and Esslemont did kind of make my experience with him more lackluster and whiny. That being said, I still got excited reading about him and hope for better tales in the future.
Why isn't the second Forge of Darkness out yet?!

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Whiskey would have gotten the better of Kallor if it wasn't for his leg though, wouldn't he? Not say that Kallor isn't a badass, just that there is always a bigger badass in the universe.
To me power in the books is a mixture of many things. Not always just skill or ability but in cases like Karsa and Rake their sheer sense of will and tenacity. Karsa never gives up, the boy just keeps rolling. As do the Bridgeburners. That's what I took from Rake carrying Draginpur and making the stone sweat. His will and sense of self is what allowed him to shoulder the burden, that and the fact that as First Son of Darkness no one else could. He figuratively also carried his people and their lives on his back. Forge of Darkness really kind of drove this point home for me. Even in his youth he still had this sense of duty and honor.
I look forward to more books in that series because I want to see if Rake and Brood ever do square off. The older races seem to become complacent in their 'immortality'. Olar Ethil and some of the other elder gods are a prime example of this. They lived for so long that they think they always will live and are secure in their power. Then they get rolled by regular people.
There are people who are just raw power, like Icarium or Beak :cry: but they don't fully access what they have for whatever blocks they possess.
That went on longer than I expected. Sorry for the rambling, I've just been trying to wrap my head around it for a long time. That being said, if we were talking about straight power and who would come out on top I would say it would be between Rake and Draconus with Brood being a sleeper. Hood if he wasn't Jaghut and could be brought to really care and pissed off could hold his own. People like Quick, Paran, and other assorted power houses in the books rely on more time and planning to get by (I know Quick can hold his own in a pinch, but for a sustained fight...)

Ok, now I'm really done

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

NovemberMike posted:

This is actually a major theme with the series. If you look at Whiskeyjack on paper he's an absolutely ridiculous badass. He's arguably as strong as top ten Seguleh. Doesn't really matter though, that's no important to his character arc. Same with Trull, same with Stormy and Gesler, same with Caladan Brood and tons of others. They're powerful, but it doesn't necessarily matter for their role in the series and their power doesn't necessarily tell you what they will do.

I agree, it seems that the big power houses that stick their necks out to gain more power don't last as long. Shadowthrone and Rope are a perfect example of this for me. They're pretty much indirectly involved in everything that happens during the series but very rarely directly. Rake, as strong as he is just kind of hangs out until he has to do something totally badass. Then you have someone like Olar that keeps trying to grab more power and keeps getting smacked down, Kallor as well.
It is a large part of what makes the stories compelling for me. It's the people who have the ability and know that they don't always have to use it, or are worried about the repercussions.
I just really like the series and the characterization. Even the people who you should loathe you end up still liking because they fill a role. It's a rare thing to balance in literature now days.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

The Malazan Book of the Fallen: Get used to spoiler tags

I seriously think I'm going to re-read this thread when I finally get through Book 10. Too many words, indeed.

I do appreciate that many characters don't resort to brute force at the first opportunity, though these same characters are often quite tragic.

I just started mine. Already picking up new things I missed. Also, not skimming anything at all. This series has become my favorite and there is so much still left to be explained/wrtiten about!

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Lofty132 posted:

Is it worth reading FoD? Just reread the whole 10 books, even better the second time round.

I loved FoD. For me it was the original series but even more confusing which I love for some masochistic reason. While some things are explained even more questions pop up.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

SansPants posted:

In GotM, Shadowthrone calls him "you shapeshifting bastard"

I always assumed that this was referring to one of his other souls. That Shadowthrone knew one of his souls in a different body. I didn't ever think it was in reference to him actually being a shapeshifter for true. On my first reread though

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

bucketybuck posted:

Blood and Bone was a disgrace. ICE did indeed create a very good mood and setting, then you get to the end and realise that the entire book was a complete loving waste of time.

I have read the other ICE books but haven't made it to Blood and Bone yet. Was it that bad, like Night of Knives bad or just poor story arc?

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Wasn't that Cotillion possessing her, though?

From my recollection Yil was the best shadow dancer that Cotillion had seen. During the fight she did get possessed. She was still good, just not that good. Apsalar wins

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Aranan posted:

I was in a rush this morning and set my copy of Reaper's Gale on top of my car as I was loading it. And then I drove away. Didn't realize it until I was already far down the road and had no chance to turn back. Sigh.

So... has anyone read the eBooks lately? When I last checked on them, they were full of typos and formatting errors which made them pretty annoying to read. Is there a newer/better version I can get? I have an iPhone with all the relevant apps, so iTunes/Kindle/Nook are all open to me.

I bought the entire series after it came out. There were very few OCR errors until the third book, that thing is just riddled with errors. House of Chains as 0 so far that I've noticed

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Ethiser posted:

I've recently got one of my friends into this series. He is on the second book and keeps telling me how cool the Wickins are. I can't wait for him to see how the book ends. It is going to be great.

drat dude, that's cold. Of all the things in this series the end of that book is only topped by Beak.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Aafter posted:

The writing is very rough. I've been enjoying Ganoes' character and whatnot. I don't know. I think it's just very unfamiliar territory (ASOIAF reader, argh magic yadda yadda) and there's nothing to hook me in, I suppose. But I love the background, I love this confusing cycle of unknowing. This got me:

"My take on Erikson was always that he expects you've read all his books at all times. When you read book 1, he expects you're read books 2-10, kinda. It sounds retarded, but it makes it infinitely rereadable."

That hooked me and made me want to read the hell out this series and what a cool freaking idea. Oh and the idea of a series being better than ASOIAF and completed. So perhaps the better narration of Book 2 will be hook me in better. Then I'm thinking book 3 and then book 1?

Edit: Also, I've been drinking. forgive me.

I had the same issues reading GotM as well, however, I just stuck it out. As rough as it is knowing some of the character interaction and background enhanced the second book. I also didn't pick up on a whole lot of stuff in the first book because I was confused 90% of the time. On the reread there is no series better and Gardens, for its flaws, is amazing. If you are going to skip around I would go 2 then 1, 3 has some massive poo poo in it that would kind of take you out of 1 I think.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

As many badasses and amazing characters as there are in this series the one that really sticks with me is Corabb. That guy just puts a smile on my face every time he's in a scene. I just finished reading House of Chains yesterday and I just love that lucky little bastard

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

I'm re-reading the series and currently on Midnight Tides. There is a conversation between Dapple, Menedore, and Osserec that is kind of the root of an issue I have with the timeline and bloodlines. When I read Forge of Darkness I had no idea what was happening and loved it, but it was because of this conversation. After re-reading it I'm still confused as hell. Dapple, Menedore, and Osserec are chatting about Spite and Envy and who their dad is. The third sister is mother to Spite and Envy but Osserec states that she had them with Draconus who was from "this world". Draconus and Osserec knew each other in Forge of Darkness. Spite and Envy were around prior to Tiste leaving Kharakas.
So was this stuff retconned or is Erikson screwing with me on purpose?

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Xachariah posted:

Book 2 and 3 are incredible compared to book 1 and book 1 gets a lot better when you're a series veteran and you go back and re-read it and go "Ooooooh!" at the stuff you missed the first time.

I second this. I'm on my first re-read and so much in Gardens just makes so much more sense. Hell the whole series in general just gets better the second time around. It's like a fine wine. When reading Forge I thought I would get more back story and become less confused. I was wrong, the web that Erikson lays out throughout this series is without equal. It is just amazing. I'm still confused but love every second of it.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

I don't mind most of ICE's stuff. It isn't on the same level as Erikson by a mile but I just take it as fluff. Not bad, not good, but something to read and spend time on. I wonder though given their relationship and obvious differing levels of talent of Erikson ever sits ICE down and tells him to get his poo poo together. Or is it more like a bad audition on American Idol where you know their friends are just loving with them and telling them they can sing and have a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Check out this copy of gardens someone had custom printed: http://curiousking.co.uk/2020/09/20/first-project/?fbclid=IwAR1e-_8Bp2OdB09gYrrjZ0wbRIYVVx_ZpEgQRAbx32nQICSK0vRKbxk0_xE

Remade the layout himself, commissioned art, had it printed and bound. Crazy!

:black101: That is badass