Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah, thats what I said. Ho is the guy with Blues in the mine. That would have been an interesting story arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Tool
Hellian
Karsa
Tehol
Uhh gently caress.
Fiddler?
Bottle?
Beak?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

RC Cola posted:

Karsa is getting cooler. He's still in jail, but he just broke a log and killed 3 guards.

3? I just reread that book. Are you literally still on the same page he breaks the chain and lifts the hatch?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Khizan posted:

They are!

What? No.

Torvald Nom isn't Leoman.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Khizan posted:

When Kalam meets Shaik and delivers the book her two bodyguards are a big Toblakai with a wooden sword and a man with flails. Karsa and Leoman.

Yes, that's still half of the pair. Not both of them. Like I said, the man who Karsa is running around with is not Leoman. At least he isn't running around with Leoman at the ship section where RC Cola is in the books.

Edit: Of course RC Cola could be like 100 pages further than I think which would mean you're 100% correct. I just thought he was at the Silanda boat part.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 6, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah, thats mindblowing. He was far better with his projections than I was, but missed the entire mule subplot? Weird.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Fiddler and the Gral horse in Deadhouse.

Dukier and his stolen Gral horse to get to the Chain.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Early Karsa was fricken awesome. He never gives a single gently caress about anything.

Itkovian took a while to grow on me. Third re-read and I started paying attention a bit more to characters I didn't really appreciate the first time around.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Wait, he says it twelve times across 900 pages and that's a lot?

I mean, sure it's an odd word, but that's not a lot right?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Thats bullshit. I am angry at your accusation. *tugs braid*

No, no, calm down Spermy. Calm down. *smoothes skirt*

Ah, thats better.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
She has a whip-sword whatever that is, and she is the only incredibly dense person that cant seem to figure out the big reveal in Assail too.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Which book is it when a commander is told right before a battle that a certain soldier has been his assassin-protector and then spends the battle by the soldiers side?

And what page roughly?

Cant remember where it is, I believe one of the last two but no idea where.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I think that was just CG thinking on the fly because he had a super pissed off Karsa in his face. Like 'Oh poo poo dont hurt me I planned this all for you!' in some attempt to appeal to Karsas ego or something.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
He does kill a bunch of Teblor children too.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
No one knows about the mules.

Speculation is they are Shadowthrone and Dancer's soletaken forms.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Skip Night of Knives. Its terrible, adds nothing to the story, and is just so so so so bad.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
The next one of ICE's (Stonewielder?) has 'someone totally mysterious' hanging out with Kiska if I remember right... the entire Kiska subplot can be skipped. Its about 1/4 of the book and just skipping it is completely ok since it doesnt add any value.

I skip it every reread.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Touchy Breathless is two different characters. Helian joke.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Found Esselmonts account.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
And finish Crippled God. Its great.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

House of Chains explicitly mentions that Scillara's rapist ejaculates at the moment of his death - coming straight after Memories of Ice it's something that leaped out at me. And then I spent the rest of her storyline expecting it to become relevant, and then it never does.

I dont think this is right. Isn't her baby daddy the blue skinned dude? The right hand of Korbolo whose name I can never remember?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

bucketybuck posted:

Your whole argument is based on this fact that there was "heavy foreshadowing" and "dark significance" surrounding the rape and birth, but I've read the books more times than I can imagine and I have never once noted even fleetingly that there was anything more to the story than characterisation for Scillara.

I think your premise is flawed, basically you are complaining about the author not finishing a plotline that I don't think he ever even started.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking but thought I was crazy when no one else said this.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

The one worry I have: Erikson decides to troll everyone and exclusively focuses on his Star Trek "comedy" series,

I thought his comedy series was that terrible Necromancer gaybromance poo poo.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I just realized I am like 3 books back. Forge of Darkness is the last one I read. Crap, what do I need to buy now?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

pile of brown posted:

You know everything you liked about Leoman? Scrap all that and have him sit in a cave talking to a boring girl for a whole book.

But you totally don't know who the dude is who carries two flails until halfway through the book because it's a huge mystery and you'd never guess in a million years. Also two flails. Two. Flails. Mentioned over and over.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I just finished Esselmonts trilogy, Path to Ascendancy. Dancers Lament, Deadhouse Landing, and Kellanveds Reach.

That was uhh... sure was something. Esselmont did pretty well with one of his past books (Jakarta maybe?) but these were just fanfic.

It reminded me of the Drizz't novels I used to read when I was a kid. Just very light fluff, unstoppable plot armor, and no real depth of characters or plot.

Am I alone?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

pile of brown posted:

I have an archaeologist roommate and mostly he just talks about everyone hates it when he shows up at construction sites

Is it because of the raping he does?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
His 3 books about dancer and kellevand are fanfiction. So bad. An hour of reading each.

The orb, scepter, throne and the Jakarta stuff wasn't bad. I enjoyed reading about the swordsdudes and explodey bugmen.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
The machine Icarium built went off. Rutt, held, and the hair-loogey guy all got caught in it.

Its explained later but I had to be told cuz dumbness.

they are ghosts in incarums mind now. I think. I am pretty dumb. disregard this probably.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You really got my hopes up there.

November 9th is when it comes out.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

ICE: His Path to Ascendancy books are much better in comparison

They're fanfic. I read all 3 of them in an afternoon. I wish they hadn't ever been written.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

So that Ten Very Big Books podcast is pretty great.

I appreciate the pronunciation guide at the end of the first interview ... but steve, man, please decide between "tisst" and "tighst" b/c he's going long-I in this podcast but someone earlier here posted him going with short-I and no 'e' sound at the end.

This is one reason I can't do audio books much.

I have every pronounciation from Wheel of Time wrong in my head. Malazan doesn't stand a chance.

I am so bad at it that I am not sure I am pronouncing Beak and Fiddler right.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

No. Where would you get that idea?

Everyone is saying you are a genocidal maniac...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Thanks for the chapters, they really got me hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Oh snap. Gotta somehow order this thing... hardcover needed to fill my bookcase but UK Kindle edition for now!