Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Just finished TCG. Ending spoilers below.

I really cannot overstate how happy I was that Fiddler made it through. I spent most of the book getting ready to cry like a baby at what I thought would be an inevitable death for him (especially once the body count started to rise. Gesler and Stormy, Mappo :(.) "DUD!" was probably the most relaxing line I have ever read in this series.

Also, Apsalar and Crokus :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think one of my favorite Fiddler moments in the series is at the end of Deadhouse Gates, when Shadowthrone is granting his group's requests. Shadowthrone mocks the hell out of every single one of them, but when it comes to Fiddler's he makes it a point to tell him that his request in the only one he won't mock. Did Shadowthrone ever extend that courtesy to anyone else?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Rereading TCG since I blitzed through it, and I really can't believe I expected a happy end for Mappo. Not after he actually bargained away those children to Olar Ethil. The first time I read this part my general thought process was "Come on, someone stand up for them! Please! gently caress. At least Torrent's going with them :(". Reading it again, it's just completely heartbreaking to me, solely due to Mappo.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Weaponized Cum posted:

Redmask question.
after sagchurok and gruntmach kill him it is revealed that he is a letherii how is this important in any way or maybe I missed something really big

I basically considered it one last way to poo poo on the Awl - the person leading them to extinction not even being one of them

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tagging for safety:

Self-preservation. He's pretty sure that if he keeps going along with them he's going to die, and he's not particularly wrong in thinking so: Envy, her Seguleh, and Tool can't protect him and themselves at the same time considering the numbers they're fighting against. He had more faith in his ability to blend in with the Dominion, and since he was a Claw I don't really fault him for that.

This does make me wish we'd gotten more Envy in the series. Almost every scene she's in or reference to her is hilarious.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 5, 2011

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kjoery posted:

Memories of ice trip report:
-bridgeburners: everyone is ages behind us but instead of waiting we will all suicide because ???

First in, last out :colbert:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

And I thought the children of the Dead Seed thing was hosed up. Jesus christ :psyboom:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Tiste Edur are worth dealing with solely because without them we don't have Trull Sanger.

And that would be a travesty.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Togg's balls disagree.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Toll the Hounds is a book I enjoyed much more on a reread because I already knew where it was headed. The first time through, though? Complete slog.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Kharkanas trilogy is basically the "Anomander Rake: Fightin' 'Round the World" story, isn't it?

I know he was going to do some stuff focusing on Rake's younger days, I just can't remember if Kharkanas was it.

Honestly, I'd kill just for a book full of short stories about Rake's adventures (especially if it means more Envy and Spite).

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

hello clarice posted:

I also really disliked his treatment of women for the longest time. It seemed like every female character gets raped and that becomes the extent of her character. Though I will say that the way different characters dealt with it was interesting -ex Seren Padac vs Felisin, but the WORST I thought was Janath - let's just wipe her memory and now she's all better the end. I got the indication that this happened for Hetan too when she was rezzed at the end. BUT the development of Tavore's character really made me rethink my opinion of female characters in the books.

I don't really get this. I'm not gonna argue with your comments about those particular women, but I always felt that Erikson handled women extremely well. Tavore, Faradan Sort, Lostara Yil (hell, let's just say every female in the Malazan army), Envy, Spite, Apsalar, Yan Tovis...poo poo, I'm probably forgetting a lot more. All extremely capable, and miles ahead of women in other novels who tend to be capable despite being women than just being capable on their own. Hell, most of those would probably be men elsewhere.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Wallet posted:

At least two dudes get raped, too, and that has to count for something.

Hell, the (minor as hell MoI spoiler but I always prefer safety) Children of the Dead Seed concept is based around men getting getting raped, even.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Don't forget Lady Envy and Fisher

I think they're still there, at least.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Nimander is great and I wish people would stop putting him down :mad:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Get House of Chains. It finishes up some important plots and expands on others, and introduces some very important and awesome characters. Midnight Tides is great, but it starts off a completely different plot.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Biggest thing regarding rape in Malazan compared to ASOIAF is that women in the Malazan universe don't exist solely to be raped to show how completely gritty this place is or how bad this person is, and the use of it tends to gravitate more toward the way it effects the victim as a character instead of the pure shock value it's used for in ASOIAF. Hell, the one time I can remember where it IS used for real shock value to set up grittiness has men as the victims.

Though I suppose that is really a different subject. Personally, the way Erikson writes his females compared to other authors is part of why I enjoy this series so much more than others :shobon:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Conduit for Sale! posted:

There's a few more. Erikson does like his glottal stops, that's for sure. I just don't understand why it's a problem. Do some people just fly into a rage whenever they see or hear a glottal stop? The better hope they never find themselves in the company of people who speak Arabic, then.

Erikson does use a handful dumb words in his books, but luckily books are full of words, so if I don't like one I can move on to the next.

e: I think with this new-ish wave of gritty, realistic low fantasy that spurns traditional fantasy tropes, people are getting into fantasy who previously hated, or just got tired of, the more traditional fantasy. But Malazan, while it may seem to be of the more gritty and realistic fantasy on first glance, is firmly rooted in traditional fantasy. So people get into it thinking it's going to be like ASoIaF, but instead find what they were trying to get away from. And that's probably pretty off-putting. Personally though, what other people hate about the series I tend to love (not the dumb words, the other stuff).

One thing I've noticed since I started the series a couple of years ago here and elsewhere is that when people have poor, kneejerk reactions to the series, it's typically over one of two things:

1. Apostrophes.
2. The fact that it's actually fantasy, with mages, gods, dragons (that actually do poo poo), etc. Really just the fact that magic plays a large role in the series at all. This alienates people faster than anything and I have no idea why (I also typically see "ANIME" thrown around when this is being complained about).

Yet the second point is why I love the series and partly why it's at the top of the genre for me, and I honestly don't get the appeal of low fantasy. I found ASoIaF incredibly boring, from a world, character, and storytelling perspective (say what you want about Erikson, but at least he understands the concepts of proper story and character arcs, plotting, build-up, and climax), yet even the biggest slogs of Malazan (Toll the Hounds :mad:) typically at least kept me wanting to read further because it always leads somewhere incredible (Toll the Hounds :tviv:).

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 31, 2012

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

bigmcgaffney posted:

Character is probably the most obvious difference. When you look at Jaime's arc side by side with, say, Crokus or Nimander or someone, it just doesn't compare.

Staying out of the rest of this mess because I have a deep hatred for Martin's series on several levels and don't want to beat on that drum yet again, but I really don't see how anyone can say Malazan's character arcs don't compare to Martin's. Martin never really breaks any new ground in his character arcs (frankly, I find his characters extremely hard to relate to on any meaningful level, though this may be because Martin doesn't write any characters I like to read about). That said, Martin somehow managed to pull something decent out of his rear end with Jaime's to make it into a legitimately good character arc, enough so that I consider it uneven to compare it to Nimander or Crokus (though not by much, and I think the progress Nimander and Crokus go through bests anything else in ASoIaF). If I were to pick one character arc out of Malazan to showcase, it'd have to be either Mappo or Karsa's. Erikson really hit on something wonderful with both of those, enough so that I feel spoiled by them when reading other works.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I've noticed that as well, mostly because part of Martin's appeal is to people who don't actually like fantasy but like the medieval soap opera aspect of the series. Whenever something fantastical actually does happen in ASoIaF, there's typically a decent amount of bitching about it because the lack of things like that is what got people into the series to begin with.

Compare to Malazan where there are mages, gods, dragons, shapeshifters, and basically just ~magic~ everywhere.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah I read books. posted:

Okay, sorry I'm plaguing you guys with questions, but I have a rather specific one about House of Chains that might not be answerable without spoiling stuff - Shadowthrone and Cotillion were just talking on the drifting isle about the guy Traveller, and mentioned he's Dal Honese, and the Aspalar was saying he was someone who was with them at the beginning...I went back to where Admiral Nok was talking to Tavore, and he was bringing up people, and the only one mentioned as being specifically as a Dal Honese is someone named Dassem Ultor. So is that who Traveller is, and if so, who is he and what is his significance?

Also, Is the guy that Karsa and the Nom guy met in the tower with all the fossils much earlier in the book Cartheron Crust?

1. You are in for a treat~

2. It's one of the Crust brothers. Which precisely completely escapes me, but you are on the right track, yes

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Juaguocio posted:

Antsy's dungeon crawl

Welp, this just sold me on it. Gonna need to pick this up.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The philosophizing is something I can generally look past in the series. While it does result in some bloat, I'm alright with it because I could always skim when it was getting a bit much. It didn't seem to effect the speed at which Erikson released a book, which he does at a pretty good pace, and I always got the impression that he knew where he wanted to take his story and his characters. Erikson's climaxes are honestly well worth putting up with it, to me at least. Frankly, I'd rather deal with the philosophy :words: than Erikson be a directionless poo poo with no work ethic like Martin.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I love his story, personally.

He bargained away children to Olar Ethil just for information. Expecting anything good to happen to Mappo after that in this series is not really a thing one should do. Getting to Icarium only to be effortlessly killed by Calm is ultimately him meeting the end his actions bought for him, as heartbreaking as it is given how Mappo started the series off as one of the most genuinely good people we see in the series. But Erikson also isn't that spiteful to his characters, and Mappo does serve to spark a memory within Icarium, making his actual journey to him worthwhile.

It was a really wonderful end to that arc to me.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Chapter two of Forge of Darkness was posted on TOR's site.

Enjoyed this one. The end actually got an "oh poo poo" out of me :v:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Shake also gave us Yedan loving Derryg, so I'm cool with them.

Though I enjoyed their plotline anyway and viewed it as a good continuation of the events from TtH.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

No, it's a complete, almost perfectly linear series that builds itself up through each book. The thing with Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice is that they take place at the same time but in different places, and you can conceivably read those two in any order and not really suffer for it. The only other exception is Midnight Tides, and that's because it introduces completely new characters in a completely different area of the world and focuses on them as to build them up as the main story transitions to that continent.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I knew I liked Erikson :allears:

The overwhelming nihilism that's become popular in fantasy is partly responsible for me falling out of the genre as a whole, which is a shame to me, but I'm glad to see that I'll continue to not have to worry about that with Erikson.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

CrazyLikeAMadDog posted:

?Can I ask why you think Erikson doesn't fit this mold? To me, almost all of the books are filled with non-stop nihilism. To throw 5,000 pages of downers and bad things happening because of curses/fate/luck, but wrap up with a 'yay, they were still heroes' doesn't really seem non-nihilistic?

Gonna be some spoilers from various books below here.

The only real instance where I think Erikson goes into nihilism overdrive is with the Barghest in the later books. I think he even realized this partway through, which is why we got Hetan's rather sudden resurrection. For the rest of the series, I think it's just part of Erikson's formula: He's unafraid to do awful things to his characters, but at the same time he isn't awful to them just for the sake of it. It was my experience throughout the series that when Erikson brought me/the reader down, it was to lift us up again later on with some extremely beautiful actions by his characters, a big one being Itkovian. There's also Anomander's sacrifice to lift the Tiste Andii out of their own depression and ennui and the Otataral Dragon in TCG. What sets Erikson apart is how much weight he puts upon characters taking a particular course of action solely because it's the right thing to do. So much of the series is based upon this and acting with compassion toward others, and Erikson treats such actions with an incredible amount of respect in his writing. Do things always end particularly well for the people who do these things? No, as we see with the Chain of Dogs. But there is always the sense that these actions were still worth it, that these actions mattered, regardless of whether or not the person or people performing them came out particularly healthy. That sense isn't really there with writers like Martin, who seem to act as spitefully as possible to any of their characters that attempt to act with a single iota of selflessness. And you certainly, at least from what I've seen, don't get people calling a character "stupid" for such attempts when it comes to Malazan, unlike what I've seen with ASoIaF.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Been going through Forge of Darkness today, and drat can Erikson still do it. The death of Orfantal's horse got me :smith: as gently caress.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Forge of Darkness, not sure whether I should laugh or :stare: over Spite killing Malice, and her and Envy's subsequent murder of pretty much everyone in the house to cover it up/because they feel like it. Maybe some combination of the two would be appropriate, because drat.

Also didn't think Erikson could make me despise Olar Ethil more than I already did, but welp.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

the least weasel posted:

Great, this again.

At least it's not "apostrophes! :argh:"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

If they're legitimately hampering your experience, skim them. It's my experience that the most you'll miss is a lil' bit of characterization or worldbuilding, I don't think he includes anything of earth-shattering importance to the overall plot in them, though I can't promise they don't have anything to do with the overarching themes of the series/a particular book/plot/etc.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Some of the intrespection stuff gets long winded in the later books, with TtH being the chief perpetrator. Dust of Dreams seems like he is back on track and I am pretty enthralled again.

Question about a man named Pearl he dies in the bonehunters right? Who is the demon Pearl chained to the wagon in Dragnipur in TtH though? I kinda remember a demon like that from the first book or something, he was enslaved by Tayschrenn and Quick Ben (?) stole the vessel and freed him or something. Is that right, and if so why did he name 2 characters the same thing?

It's just a pure coincidence type of thing.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

apophenium posted:

I don't really get the whole Laseen is a corpse thing. Like, not even at all. Maybe it's explained in Memories of Ice.

Not entirely sure if it does or not but:

It's basically a corpse-puppet trick, if I'm remembering correctly. Laseen isn't stupid enough to actually put herself in the same room as Kalam

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Erikson can get pretty brutal and dark, but there is a tonal difference between Malazan and ASoIaF on that front. With Martin it generally comes off as pandering to me, people buy his books expecting him to treat everyone in them like poo poo and violently kill them just because and he happily obliges.

Erikson, as stated, can get equally dark. There have been scenes that left me as basically :stare: brought to life. The difference is that Erikson doesn't do those scenes just to do them, and he doesn't come off as spiteful toward his characters when he does it. There tends to be some meaning present, whether it be for a character's development or to serve the particular themes he's working on with that particular arc.

But I am heavily, heavily biased because I hate Martin so someone else may be of better help with this.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Robot Danger posted:

I was really far off on my timeline as far as when Midnight Tides took place. I thought it was more of a case of Lether just being so far in the past more than that it just more of a backwater place in the world. Kind of like a long Dark Age period following fall of the First Empire. It didn't seem too strange considering the Tiste races living so long to have Trull in the other books.

Then Icarium just stepped off the boat and blew my mind.

I had it in my mind that everything that happened in Midnight Tides was thousands of years before Gardens on the Moon.

I feel quite stupid.

Don't.

It's a plot point that the Nascent fucks hard with Trull's perception of time

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Forge of Darkness is really really good but also really really different because it's structured differently than most Malazan books.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

He does, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fleshpeg posted:

Are you sure you're remembering that right? Tavore is definitely Talon but I don't think Ganoes ever implies anything like that. The actual quote after Lostara sees the talon necklace: "The Adjunct sighed. ‘I am a child of the Emperor – what more is there for you to understand, Lostara Yil?’"

Yeah, I'm overdue for a TCG re-read so my memory may be completely jumbled and wrong about this, but from what we see of Tavore's motivations there, she seemed to completely dislike the idea of Ganoes being involved in the army (though I can't remember if it was because of the inherent danger or because she didn't want him to experience the life of a soldier), so I'd find it extremely odd for Ganoes to be a Talon just because such a status would be inconsistent with those feelings.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 18, 2013