Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I haven't finished Assail but regarding the identity of Jethis His flashback soon after facing of the Bonewright stronlgy suggests him being Anomander. I mean, wasn't Hood slain with Dragnipur to get the dead into it so they could battle the legions of Chaos? In FoD we learn that it's T'riss that gives Anomander his white hair as a sign of "defiance" iirc, maybe him brining Mother Dark back and all could explain the hair?

Other than Anomander couldn't it be Andarist? I may be confusing stuff, but don't both he and Jethiss have amber eyes? Andarist also "aged", but I think he also had white hair like his brother. But the circumstances of his death also include a battle (vs the Edur) and a gate (isn't the throne of Shadow also a gate?). I don't remember how he was burried but if he was given to the ocean (not burned/burried on Drift Avalii) it wouldn't be the first time that Mael brought someone back from the ocean (Brys & Shandalath Drukorlat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Back to Jethiss Andarist does have amber eyes, but I don't think we know how he's buried. It seems Cutter and Apsalar leave Drift Avalii before that happens. Didn't check if we are told once we get Nimanders POV. Regarding Anomanders hair, T'riss does say she will make his defiance visible (which I would think is his silver hair), but Mother Dark also hints that he got that from his mother.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Spermy Smurf posted:

This was me. I enjoyed it during the first 3/4 of my read and then I realized 'this is it? Assail is a bunch of pussies.' It was hyped up to be a huge thing and ended up 150 Imass cleared the loving continent.

Now I think about it and get angry.

Also the people debating if jethiss is rake, we are talking about an author who didn't tell us Kallors name for 300 pages when we already knew it was him during the loving prologue

Yeah, after finishing the book it's obvious that it's Rake. I think the friend he is visiting is the Redeemer or Whiskeyjack. One or both of them is buried at Coral, right?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Anomandaris posted:

Some people on the Malazan empire forums think Jethiss is Spinnock Durav and he's visiting Seerdomin's tomb in Coral. He fought at a gate (the Shore in Crippled God) but it's nowhere said that he died or got lost during the battle. Him being just a shipwrecked Spinnock without any revivals involved would be a nice troll from ICE, but I doubt it.

More likely it's Rake and he's either visiting Itkovian's or Endest Silann's tomb. I don't remember if it's ever stated that he played Kef Tanar with Itkovian, but I think that in a hundred thousand years he had the time to play a game or two with Endest Silann.

It turns out Whiskeyjack was buried in Moon's Spawn with the rest of the Bridgeburners. And I Itkovian's grave is actually called modest before everyone covers it "gifts".

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

"zeal" posted:

Beak
:cry:

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I'm doing what should be my fourth or fifth reread, but first one on a Kindle and wow. There is still a ton of stuff to catch!

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I had a hard time reading the bits about Nimander, the Shake, and the snake first time around but during my four re-reads I've loved those parts.

One thing I noticed during my last re-read is how Erikson added some LBGT in the last books: Gall is bi, Yedann is gay, those human captains/theifs with the Shake if I'm not reading to much into it. Before that we only get Picker and Blend but that isn't made that clear until TtH iirc.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

uh zip zoom posted:

Hey was the tiste edur in memories of ice what was found by the bridgeburners the same as the one killed by bugg at the end of midnight tides?

It was also yhe Edur who slaughtered a whole town on the coast. I missed that until my fourth read-through

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

thumper57 posted:

Re: Jethiss - but when did (TtH and TCG) Spinnock actually die? i remember him showing up at the shore with Korlat and the Andii and not dying after that?

Yeah, isn't he the one doing that epic shieldbashing stuff while Nimander & Co are up fighting it dragon storm style? Also Jethiss saying "Make me a sword worthy of me" is basically the same kind of request he gives to Caladan Brood...

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Habibi posted:

It was actually the Queen of Dreams, and she probably knows what she's talking about.

To the rest of your post, I imagine Hood, like most intelligent gods and ascendants, is wary about / wants to avoid anything that could be construed as direct intervention in the affairs of mortals. It makes sense that he had vengeance on the back burner until too convenient an opportunity came along.

Gotm but affects moi Oponn bargain for Parans life with Hood after he was shanked by Sorry. His life is exchanged for one close to him. I guess it could be Felisin but i always thought it was WJ

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

vmdvr posted:

I'm almost certain it was dhg one of his parents. One dies unexpectedly, the other suicides as a result, leaving Tavore and Felisin the only surviving family. Felisin mentions this in her chain march monologue, IIRC. Mostly because she foolishly believes that her parents would never have allowed Tavore to arrest her if they'd been alive.

Felisin dies of her own stubbornness, and I world argue that luck keeps her alive fat enough to become Shaik. Also the flies are there for Heboric if you ask me.

Tattersail gets blasted by magic.

The Paran parents get economically assasinated with one suicide iirc.

You could argue that Lorns death is due to dumb luck, but WJ getting injured and then his bone breaking again ruining the thrust that would have ended Kallor is multiple cases of bad luck.

And if Oppon bargains someones life away I expect luck to be a part of their demise

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Tokelau All Star posted:

Imass human relation:
But then the idea that humans evolved from the Imass gets all hosed up.

I think we are told that humans are the children of the Imass in the sense that they inherit the earth when the Imass basically sacrifice their race to end the domination of Tyrants.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

sassassin posted:

Their first battle is a disaster and the best of them die in the trap/to their own munitions. The survivors get out only due to a magic spell (plus a dozen others), so the army is just them and the soldiers that didn't enter the city in the first place.[/spoilers] Then they march to some ships, where they sail around and [spoiler]get saved by magic again.

By the time they're in Lether the marines are elite head-popping commando badasses that put every military force on that continent to shame (to the point of outright worship by Brys etc.)

Apart from the few dozen that defend the gangplank in Malaz City (spelled by Perish) none of the Bonehunters have done anything of note before then. Dujek's host they ain't.

Have you missed that Malazan Marines pretty much conquered the world for Kellanved? They are the elite. They also have munitions and high tech crossbows.

And regarding Lether we have already been shown how lovely the Lether are at fighting an unconventional force in MT. The marines are having a much harder time vs the Edur.

TCG the Bonehunter regulars don't do much except march until their stand to win Fiddlers group time to free the Crippled God.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

sassassin posted:

self-pitying bitch

Maybe you should just :getout:

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
FoL, Narad I don't think Narad is Edgewalker, we know shadow is older than the Edur. So I expect Edgewalker to also be that. Still he's the first Watch, that's pretty impressive.

FoL, guessing
I think that Lether is built on the ruins of Omtose Phellack, there are ruins of Jaghut there and an Azath without a Guardian that is dying/dead
edit: also buried Sereghal
Edit2: it's also where Hood starts his war on death by "freezing" time and the Azath doesn't die until Hood does. But I guess Gothos also freezes the area. But2 the house/hold of death isn't known/present in Lether until the arrival of the Malazans which should coincide with Hoods death. I think it's an appealing theory

zokie fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 27, 2016

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

bucketybuck posted:

What story? Plenty of words devoted to them but the reality is that it was a whole load of nothing that could easily have been told in a few chapters. At least in the end they had more relevance than the Hust legion I suppose, but thats certainly damning them with faint praise.

And I don't think the words "all-out war" apply to anything in that book.

Of the top of my head

Huun Raal taking over the Legion
That dude becoming the Watch and having time travel visions
Urusander gets wacked
Hood starts war on death by stopping time or something
We learn alot more of the Thel Akai

No one forces you to read Eriksons books and he has gotten heavier on the philosophising so if you don't like it maybe you should just stop reading his books?

Me i liked FoL but being a 2nd book in a trilogy tends to mean certain things...

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Monocled Falcon posted:

I hadn't reached the part where the hounds attack when I asked that question. I enjoyed that part, the

Still a question that could using answering I feel.

Right now, I reached the part with the big mage battle against the Moon's spawn and there I stopped because it bored the poo poo out of me.

Edit: It does firmly answer my question about what the Malazan empire does against hostile magic users.

Doesn't answer my question about why they bother with legions then.

You haven't even read the first half of the first book of a ten book epic. Perhaps you should read more and post less

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Juaguocio posted:

I really enjoyed doing MoI -> DG on my current re-read. You miss out on the Shadowthrone/Dancer reveal by reading in that order, but there's a lot more continuity with the setting and characters of GotM if you read MoI 2nd.

The Fener bits in DG actually took me by surprise, because I was conflating two events in my mind: Fener doesn't get "called down" when Heboric first touches the jade statue. Instead, he "absorbs" something from the statue that seems to poison him. Later, Heboric falls behind Baudin and Felisin, and Baudin has to rescue him. Heboric is comatose, Baudin tries to heal him by performing Fener's ritual gesture with his ghost hands, and that's when Fener appears.

Heboric's story is pretty complex. I'm looking forward to reading his parts in HoC and BH, since I can't recall a lot of the details.

Fener I think it's that Hebiric gets punished according to the Reeve which is having his hands cut off and sent to Fener, but it was all bullshit and Fener likes him so the hands stay in Feners realm untouched. Then Heboroc touches a jade statue and when Baudin tries to heal him by using his stump to touch Feners mark on his chest the alienness of the jade forces Fener from his realm

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

BigHead posted:

Deadhouse Cakes.

Also I just got done re-reading the first part of House of Chains. This series is 100% better on a read through since I actually have some clue who the players are and where everyone fits in the timeline.

I didn't quite understand the background for the Teblor though. Their history is told through Karsa's point of view as he and his two friends stumble upon (among other things) the writing in the cave, the forkrul assail, and the bone steps / cleave in the cliffs, and various snippets from the seven t'lan imass gods. Also there was mention of Icarium, possibly his parents maybe? Since he's half Toblakai maybe he was saving his mother's tribe or something? And maybe the Jaghut hiding above the tribes was Gothos?.. I couldn't quite piece together what happened, though. Anyone have a concise statement?

Teblor origin the Teblor are Toblakai who got their blood watered down with other species. To get their awesome back Icarium exiled them in a remote place to purify their blood. And he gave them a tradition of raiding other tribes and raping to avoid top much inbreeding

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Guyver posted:

Apparently, MoI spoilers, chaos wanted Kurald Galain destroyed so he thought he had to help Mother Dark by finding a way to keep it from chaos. Obviously you put her front door in a wagon and make some dragons, demons and gods drag it across a never ending hellscape inside a magic sword. Except after a couple hundred millennia chained to the hellwagon he figured out darkness would've keep ahead of chaos naturally and he had hosed up.

Since souls can seal gates it's not that farfetched that you can do other things also with them also

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Cardiac posted:

Kilava is probably the one character who is responsible for most major fuckups in the Malazan world.
Full series spoilers:

- Whirlwind Godess
- Tool being lonely and depressed until he meets Toc, but this is probably also due to being fired... Haha. "I've been doing this job for 200k years, and am now a dessicated corpse. How am I gonna get a new job?"
- Pannion Seer
- I guess she can be blamed for Trake dying to?

Feels like I missed some things...

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
The Crippled God is really great it has a really short build up, and then BOOM like 99% of the book are several epic Erikson style convergences.
It's a thrilling and spellbinding read that ties up a helluva lot without disappointing the reader like end of series so often do.

It does stuff like make you care about both the Shake and the Snake something I never thought I would.

Seriously if you burned through the series and thought it was good then I'm more worried about you forgetting to eat and finishing the book in one sitting than not loving it.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Spermy Smurf posted:

I dont think this is right. Isn't her baby daddy the blue skinned dude? The right hand of Korbolo whose name I can never remember?

You are thinking of Korbolo Dom?

Many of the complaints are handled by Esselmont:
Leoman
House of Chains other members
Kallor

The Refugium is also handled and tied up if you ask me
Hood doesn't want a wife, that is just mad rambling and maybe implying Hood should stop grieving and finding someone new?
Edgewalker is going to be a mystery and a lot of factions have a "claim" to shadow
And don't the Andii take the Terrondai with them when they leave Coral?

And I think a big reason the children of the dead seed are hosed up are because their mom's are craaaazy and the are part of the Tenescowri. I mean growing up there is only going to fill you with hosed up poo poo leaving an empty s shell when you meet the Redeemer.

I'd say that growing up in a small village with several old ladies taking care of you is quite different.

And there are a ton of hidden stuff or connections that are really only noticeable on a 2nd read through.

Like the Edur raiding Gennabackis in HoC and finding the corpse of the dude Mael crushed in the end of MT...

zokie fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 16, 2017

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
He uses the hammer again in Orb, Sceptre, Throne, doesn't he?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Otataral is literally Abnegation, so it would only be natural for the world/reality to try and protect itself from the jade statues with it. Like it's immune system. Pretty interesting that it kills all non-elder magic...

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Spermy Smurf posted:

But you totally don't know who the dude is who carries two flails until halfway through the book because it's a huge mystery and you'd never guess in a million years. Also two flails. Two. Flails. Mentioned over and over.

Lmao, don't read the Jacurucku book. Blood whatever...

I don't know if it's funny or sad that I recognize myself as a 13 year old GM in some of Esselmonts writing

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Pure Kin: aren't they sailing around and sometimes finding Edur colonies? Only they were of mixed blood. I don't remember the context of it but it could be that they are looking for non-mixed blood relatives. Bit could also refer to Andii or Liosan.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
iirc FoD FoL mention dogrunners? Aren't they humans?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

diapermeat posted:

The Crippled God has been sitting on my bedside table for over a year collecting dust. The last I remember it was really tough to get into. I've finally picked it back up and have dug into the first 200 pages without effort. Maybe I just needed a break from this writing style? Can't wait to finish it/dont' want it to end.

When most Malazan books are a majority build up and then a convergence, TCG is just a short build up and then all convergence everywhere. Just non-stop epic

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I think you have to keep in mind Erikson really likes to gently caress with the "noble savage" trope. Culminating in :nms:the hobbling of Hetan:nms:

While still putting the crimes of civilization on display of course.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Knobb Manwich posted:

The nascent is a world the edur flooded so they could use it as a transit system.

The silandra was an andii ship that was taken by the edur, then karsa happened, then it was left to drift until some malazans found it and took it in a wild ride.

Not just any ship, but one containing almost all of the Andii living on Drift Avalii, presumably they went looking for Anomander. Iirc the Nimander & co says the heads belong to their parents but that doesn't with then being children of Anomander.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
There are some really powerful moments. Hanavat and Rutt teared me up thinking about, another favourite is when Tavore asks if the statute of her will be beautiful, really ties in to how Unwomanly face of war tells us of women/girl soldiers struggling to maintain their gender identity as lose their hair, menstruation &c.

When Karsa holds the dying leper, which iirc was written by Erikson to process his father dying.

When Mother Dark understands Anomanders sacrifice, or when the remaining Andii rally to aid in the final battle of Kharkanas. Clack

Holy poo poo this is some good fiction

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I recently finished ICEs latest, and I have to believe that the reason we meet another character named Pearl had to bree some subtle troll.

Overall I liked the book, but if felt short and I agree that it feels a bit weird that the last Cadre that bites it in GotM was also the first.

Protectress, do we know her back story, I kind of remember her being Liosan. but nothing more.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, the First Empire was human, but the imass have a throne that mind controls all of them for no reason that was ever really explained :shrug:

If doesn't actually control them, and they do have their own first empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

CoolHandMat posted:

basic theory on the Aren massacare: KR reveal You have to be worthy of the Throne of the Imass, and its not a true command and they follow type of Throne. As we recall, Kellenved uses that tactic in Li Heng which had a Jaghut freeze the river in during the invasion. So Aren probably had some Jaghut influencing the city in the background, and a bunch of civilians got killed as they went to war with the Jaghut in Aren.

Traveller spoilers Aren is in seven cities, so then the Imass have probably met Daseem. When they discard Tool and make Daseem their own Sword (also making him the God of tragedy...) that might also change the dynamic of commanding the Imass