Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

dms666 posted:

Which were going down this year, self employment taxes or estimated taxes?
FICA (and by extension, self employment tax) are reduced slightly for this year only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

entris posted:

No. It demeans you, Abbi, and furu; ya'll are doing God's work in here.
Helping people save money on their taxes is God's work?

I guess he is a Republican after all!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

AbbiTheDog posted:

LLC/LLP/partnership owners are BANNED from taking payroll
Why is this, incidentally?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mandalay posted:

You want to take your marginal tax rate at the federal, state, and local (if applicable) level and multiply it by that number. I imagine it will take you a bracket or two up so you can do a weighted average. In addition, you will owe another 6.2% in medicare and 1.45% in social security, assuming that you haven't maxed out on the former because your compensation is already above ~$106k. However, that is just the direct impact. If you take other tax credits and deductions, they may be limited and/or phased out by your higher adjusted gross income.

Disclaimer: I am not a tax professional and this is not tax advice your heart will explode etc
H&R Block has a free estimator you can try:
http://www.hrblock.com/free-tax-tips-calculators/index.html

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Admiral101 posted:

He could deduct the cost of the plane ticket as an adjustment to arriving to AGI (as moving expenses). He doesn't have to itemize to do this. See line 26 of page 1.
This is a long-term and not a short-term job, right? I think you have to stay a certain length of time to qualify for that deduction.

Also, if you're working overseas and not making a bunch of money, I think you can effectively exclude that income. Not sure what effect that might have.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

furushotakeru posted:

I know that ca can sometimes be dicks
sometimes?

That sounds like an improvement.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

furushotakeru posted:

and an IDR.
Should us lowly folks recognize this term?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Zewle posted:

Would there be an issue if I don't make any profit or have any sales yet? I'll be taking theory and professional audio tech lessons, and building website and imagery for band, but that's as professional as it would be by then. Should I be worried that that might not be seen as a legit tax... thing?
Many businesses take a few years to start turning a profit.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Sharkface posted:

If its a corp registered in the Cayman Islands and owned by American shareholders, even if they aren't doing American business, its my understanding that you owe American taxes. You basically end up paying taxes on corporate income whether or not you take a distribution.

That said, its not a bad thing... you don't incur additional tax by doing business in this way because there are several tax-free jurisdictions.
Wouldn't you owe personal, not corporate, taxes?

And I mean if that was really a concern, it's not like the US lacks S corps or LLCs.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
If everyone understood taxes, what would you do with your life?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
This question came up in a conversation today, and I'm sure you gurus would know the answer.

If you pay for a product or service, and the person you paid goes bankrupt before delivery of said product or service (and therefore you do not receive it), does this render you any taxable benefit/deduction?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I know convenience fees on taxes are deductible as miscellaneous payments subject to the 2% AGI floor, but what about convenience fees on OTHER (partially or fully) deductible items?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

furushotakeru posted:

Like what?
Rent or utilities (at least, for the percentage allowed for home business use), courses taken for work purposes, .etc.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Is there a good guide somewhere for finding a tax accountant, like what to look for and what to avoid? My situation is going to be complicated this year and going forward and I'd like to have a professional involved.
If you're okay with using someone not physically nearby, the professionals in this thread are all stellar. I have a fairly complicated tax situation myself (IMHO), and Furu, the thread op, does an amazing job.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Capsaicin posted:

I have a question about Medicare and Social Security tax rates. I assume that my "medicare wages" and my "Social Security Wages" are just my total income (not self-employed, basic of most basic, I guess). TaxACT is telling me that my medicare tax withheld is supposed to be 1.45% of my wages and my social security is supposed to be 4.2% of my income.

My W-2 says that I paid WAY more than 1.45% and 4.2% of those. Am I reading this wrong? If I did pay more than that, do I get that money back?
Did you contribute to a retirement or some other benefit plan? Those amounts are included when calculating SS and MD contributions but not your income for federal tax purposes.

Also, if the percentages come out to 2.9% and 10.4%, it's possible your employer included their payments.

Edit: And if your employer really did screw up, you're going to need to get them to fix it.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 17, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

AbbiTheDog posted:

The example we got from some CA law professor in our state tax update:

Say you have a Portland car repo company that only works in the PDX area, but is contracted by a CA sourced bank.

Even if the repo guy NEVER steps foot into CA, if enough of his sales were generated by the CA bank, he'd need to file a CA income tax return for his business and pay at least the minimum $800.

Yeah, that's going to fly up here. Enforcement for the FTB should be a cinch as well.
How is that even legal?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

AbbiTheDog posted:

NY and CA have become highly aggressive, some of the other states are gearing up as well (WA is starting to crack down a bit on us Oregon taxpayers).
What have they been doing? I suppose they could audit your credit card returns, but even that's not definitive -- for instance, I've bought products from third parties through Amazon, and those third parties charged me sales tax.

furushotakeru posted:

Well at least a year or two ago there was an automatic $5 or so of use tax added to the state return. If you took this off, Lacerte gave me a diagnostic (no I am not kidding) that stated that the NY attorney general's opinion was that a return that did not leave that $5 on might be more likely to be selected for audit.
IIRC, some states have "suggested" amounts you can use which are based upon your income. If you choose this value, I believe it's safe from audit, provided you haven't bought any large-ticket items.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

furushotakeru posted:

Actually to legally prepare tax returns for pay you now have to be at least a Registered Tax Return Preparer, which involves taking a test from the IRS.
Neat. Anybody know anything about this exam? I'm wondering how much tax knowledge is required to pass.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

ThirdPartyView posted:

Did you actually receive that desk? If so, look at a copy of the invoice to see if sales tax was charged; if not, you owe use tax at 6% (apparently). If you need to, contact the company where you bought the goods. You can't ignore it as they are notifying you of a potential tax liability assessment and you need to address it or they may eventually put a lien on your bank account and other assets to try and satisfy the liability.
Having gotten this type of letter before from the FL DOR (albeit not for use tax), after 30 days they would send a second letter. After another 30 days, they'd send a final letter. And 30 days after that, it's turned over to collections.

P.S. Can I show this to people? No one seems to believe that use tax laws are enforced. I could probably win a few bets.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

furushotakeru posted:

My biggest issue so far has been the fact that apparently about 20-25% of my clients use Mac only (e-org doesn't run on Mac, only on windows).
Honestly, I think it'd be better as a webservice.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
What the best/most interesting gift you guys have gotten from a client?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

AbbiTheDog posted:

Easiest part would just to read the Form 1040 instructions. Poke around on the IRS website for a bit in the "individual" section and see what you can pickup.
Also a heads up, New York (the state) and New York City have their own income taxes on top of the federal ones.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

AbbiTheDog posted:

You have no idea what poor is until you can only buy bread or milk in the grocery store, but not both.
Isn't this more of a lower-class problem?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

fordan posted:

Not a tax pro, just a Jersey resident. You do have to pay any NYC wage taxes but you can claim them as a credit on your NJ tax return.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit14.shtml
I've been told by some colleagues in the area that New York City's income tax is only levied upon its own residents, and not upon those who work in the city but live elsewhere.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Farside posted:

So assuming I donate the car and take the maximum $500 for it how does that affect my taxes? Will I get a full $500 back or will it be some fraction there of?
You'd get back a fraction thereof depending on your marginal tax rate.

Note that there are some factors to consider. If you don't itemize, the donation may be useless for you for tax purposes.

(Disclaimer: I am not a CPA, EA, RTRP or what have you.)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Admiral101 posted:

I'm not seeing the advantage of opening the S Corp in Delaware. It could make sense if you were concerned about PA capital stock tax liabilities, but ultimately because you are a PA resident, all income you earn in the S Corp will be taxed on your PA-40. Regardless of whether the S Corp was formed/located in DE or not. You may want to speak with that person again and see what was on his/her mind. There's many tax reasons to eventually operate out of DE for larger (huge) companies, but that's beyond the scope of your business.
Having opened an S-corp and asked a lawyer about this very issue, I can tell you that for your purposes, it almost certainly will not matter. Legal issues vary from state-to-state, and Delaware's are very well understood. If you eventually want to go public or raise capital or something, it might make sense to re-incorporate in Delaware, but for the time being, don't worry about it.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I know when you sell stock, you're not taxed on the basis. But if some of your shares were acquired at different prices, and you're not selling them all, how is your basis (both for the sale and the remainder) determined?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Shampy posted:

My business is in desperate need of a resell tax exempt license. We're in the distribution business and haven't been asked for one until now. We need to get this ASAP. What's the quickest way of doing this? I see 20 business days quoted but I'm willing to go anywhere to get this poo poo done NOW.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I'm in Miami.
This is not an income tax question?

But sales tax in Florida is administrated by the Florida Department of Revenue, so I'd go [strike]harass[/strike] pay them a visit.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 9, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Syjefroi posted:

I didn't go to school for business or anything like that, but I am finding myself selling my work now and I need to figure this one out:

I sell something, online, in my state for $50. The state/local tax rate for that is 8.25%. My merchant account charges 2.9% + $0.30. What amount do I actually pay taxes on? For example:

An item sells for $50, my merchant account takes $1.75 and my bank account only shows that I made $48.25. Do I get taxed off that number? That would be $3.98 in taxes, leaving me with $44.27 at the end of the day. Or do I base taxes off of my listed price, regardless of the fee that was taken out before I made any money? That would be $4.13 in taxes and a final profit of $44.12.

I know that ultimately this is literal pocket change, but I want to get it right. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe a link to a good business accounting 101 book or website for someone who has zero experience in this kind of thing? Thanks in advance!

edit - oh, and am I wrong or do I only need to collect sales tax if my customer is in the same state as me?
You're asking about sales tax, this is an income tax thread.

That said, if sales tax is due, you should actually charge that on top of the $50, so $50 * 1.0825 = $54.13

And yes, you only have to charge sales tax to customers in the states where you physically do business.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Aren't 401(k)'s difficult and costly to administer?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

furushotakeru posted:

Depends on the kind and testing method you choose. A solo 401(K) is very inexpensive. I have a client with 401(K) for himself and two employees, electing a non discretionary match rather than the more complex methods of top-heavy testing, and he pays about $2-3K annually for administration (including filing the annual IRS form 5500 return).
That sounds pretty terrible. I assume a SEP IRA is like a SIMPLE IRA, which is, to say, cheap and easy to do.

The 401(k) limit is currently $16,500 compared to the $11,500 limit of a SIMPLE IRA. Hardly seems worth that extra cost unless you have a lot of money to [strike]waste[/strike] shelter?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

furushotakeru posted:

The 401(K) employee deferral contribution is actually $17,000 in 2012. SIMPLE is still $11,500 because no one ever uses those things anyhow so the IRS doesn't care enough to index the limit :smug:
Guess the IRS just felt like trolling you this year then ;)

(SIMPLEs go up to $12,000 next year.)

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 20, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Napoleon I posted:

So my first student loan payments are about to come due, and I have enough money to make an over payment on my loans, enough to max out the $2,500 interest paid deduction. However, this site (http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc456.html) says I must be "legally obligated to pay interest on a qualified student loan."

Does this mean I can only deduct up to the amount of interest I was obligated to pay, or does it mean I can deduct any amount of interest paid (up to $2,500) that I actually pay, as long as I was legally obligated to pay some interest?
I believe if you pay extra, it will come out of the principal of the loan.

That said, the loan company will send a form to the IRS that says how much qualifying interest you paid.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Hey tax goons, a 501(c)(3) charity has a link to where you can make donations to them online, but a convenience fee is assessed. The charity didn't think this convenience fee is deductible -- what sayeth you?

Also, I know that over-the-counter medications aren't generally not deductible and all that medical expenses are subject to a 7.5% AGI base, but what if a doctor tells you to, say, apply antibiotic ointment and gause for a week on a wound, are those items then deductible? Also, is travel to/from a doctor's office deductible, subject to the usual AGI limitations?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Abel Wingnut posted:

Is there anywhere I can plug in my numbers and get an estimate of my 2012 tax return? I would use last year as a basis but I'm in a completely different situation now.
H&R Block has one I like (http://www.hrblock.com/free-tax-tips-calculators/tax-estimator.html) but it's often a year out of date.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Actie posted:

Quick question about a hypothetical someone who was formerly an employee and is now an independent contractor.

Assuming this someone's income is exactly the same while he's an independent contractor as it was while he was an employee, would his income tax burden remain the same? Or does being an IC by its very nature change the way income tax is computed (and, if so, why?)?

(FWIW, I am aware that the Soc Sec and Medicare tax burdens would increase, from 4.2% and 1.45%, respectively, to 6.2% and 2.9%.)
You're correct about Medicare, but Social Security would increase to 10.4%.

You can deduct business related expenses and part of your self-employment tax, but your overall bill will likely increase notably.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Actie posted:

Fixed the Soc Sec tax rate. I realize the overall tax bill will likely be higher (simply due to the increased medicare and soc sec taxes); what I'm wondering is whether income taxes in particular would remain the same, assuming income doesn't change.
I think the income tax portion of your federal tax would likely decrease a little bit, since you can deduct the new part of your medicare and social security taxes.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Spiro Agnew posted:

IRA question. My employer has a simple IRA in which he matches our contributions. Including his matching, I have deposited just about the limits for 2012. This account is less than 2 years old, so I can't roll it into a Roth without a big penalty.

I would like, however, to put money in My Roth for 2012. Can I simply put $5K from my checking account into the Roth and then not take a deduction for the simple IRA contributions I have already made?

My gut says no, but I thought I would ask. Thank you all for your wisdom.
The Roth IRA doesn't work like that. You can put in money in a Roth IRA if your income is below a certain limit, regardless of whether or not you participate in an employer plan. More info here.

Disclaimer: Not a CPA, EA, or anything of that sort, just someone who is in a similar situation.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So now that the tax bill has been approved by the House and the Senate, how long until everyone can get rolling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

TheReverend posted:

I know this is probably asked nonstop here (maybe the OP can add something in the OP) but what are the most common and most significant itemized deductions? I bought a house in 2012 and I want all the money I can get.

I know I have:
Mortgage Interest
Property Taxes

But what else is there? What are some other completely legal but often forgotten deductions?
State and Local Income Tax *OR* State and Local Sales Tax. (You can't take both.)