Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I can't understand why I never get a tax refund. I made $55k this year. I paid $6000 in federal taxes, and $2000 in state taxes. I'm getting $588 back from the feds, but I owe $612 to the state, so I net -$30. Shouldn't I be getting a few hundred dollars back at least? Taxes hurt my small brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hoodwinker posted:

Just because they're netting near zero between state and fed I wouldn't say they're withholding correctly. Ideally you get a refund of close to $0 on both. I agree the net outcome is the same but man it would bother me to have that imbalance.

So what do I do? Ask my accounting department why they suck?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

:siren:URGENT:siren:

I recently became aware that my 2020 tax return had $40,000 worth of income that I shouldn’t have paid taxes on. (I work for the Long Island Railroad and I was injured on the job. I confirmed with multiple sources at work that this income is tax free).

The problem is the deadline to amend a prior tax return is 3 years from the date it was filed, which unfortunately is tomorrow.

H&R Block who filed my tax return in 2020 is utterly clueless and keeps telling me they cannot do this for me. Every other tax professional I have contacted is unable to see me on such short notice.

What the hell do I do? Is there any way I can just do this myself? I will be losing over $8,000 if I do not get this filed by tomorrow.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

If you're LIRR I'm probably relatively local to you and can help you after tax season if you want. I have plenty of LIRR guys as clients, I've seen your case before. I have not idea why the LIRR can't issue W-2s with the correct taxable wages when there's Line of Duty Injury pay, other agencies have it figured out. Regardless of what you do make sure you attach a paystub or something to prove the LODI.

I was able to go to a different H&R Block location and convince someone there to do it for me. He was able to e-file the amendment for the state, and I’m going to send the federal amendment via certified mail on Tuesday. I’m hoping since Monday (my deadline), is a federal holiday, they will honor the day after as not past the deadline. Not much else I can do at this point.

And yea the LIRR’s W2’s seem to be a real issue with this particular instance of being injured on the job, and not showing that pay as any different than regular income. I spoke to some coworkers and they recommended someone who specializes in LIRR returns, who I will use in the future. The Gentleman at H&R Block basically force fed the numbers in the best he could, but wasn’t too sure how it would turn out when the feds actually look over the amendment. As you mentioned, I’ll attach my last paystub from that year which shows my year to date income labeled “injury on the job”. That, plus an explanation is hopefully enough. It better be, or else I’m going to kiss $8,000 or so goodbye.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It’s $14… does it matter?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How long should I expect to wait to hear about an amendment I made to a past tax return? Will they contact me if it’s accepted or denied? Or do I just receive a check in the mail? (I’m owed a few thousand dollars)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/wmar/ you can look up the status here

The amendment I sent in 5+ months ago is still in received but not processed status.

I sent my amendment in about 2 months ago and it’s still not showing as received. Should I be worried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

Personally I'd assume it's lost in the mail if they haven't received it within a couple weeks.

Hmmm, I have a tracking number somewhere from when I sent it, I’ll have to look it up.