Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Badger of Basra posted:

Cool. I should definitely try next year then, I’m a nerd who would do my friends’ taxes for free if they asked.

Skipped a couple of pages but if the organization you'd be volunteering with is the one I think it is, I definitely recommend it. I've worked with them a few times and they're pretty great. Skipped the past few years because pandemic plus pregnancy/baby, but hoping I can start up again next year.

On a different note, I was a practicing tax attorney until 2019 when I moved into knowledge management for a firm's corporate group. I potentially have the opportunity to move back into tax KM but I'm a little out of date. Does anyone know of a good sort of catch up or overview resource for the past few years? I've just been doing ad hoc cle stuff but it's kind of scattershot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

I don't know if they still do but a decade ago, occasionally when you were dealing with a set contact at the IRS they'd have classical music as their hold music. That was always nice.

Also thanks for the CE recs upthread. It's basically what I was already using to get caught up but nice to know I'm not missing any hot resources.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

smackfu posted:

Don’t you need it when you start a new job? Or has that been replaced with ID checks and then cross-checking the SSN you give? It’s been a while.

For the I9 you just need something that will prove you're authorized to work in the US. The SSA card works for that purpose, but so does a birth certificate or passport. They can cross check the SSN, yeah.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

I don't think the IRS can share that info, no. This is half remembered from when I worked at an LITC a decade ago, but iirc they can't share things like that, or like let ICE know you're filing under an ITIN.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

I don't understand how filing separately makes it less complicated?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Peyote Panda posted:

There's a limitation with the efiling system that only allows efiling an amended return for the current or prior two tax years, so a 2020 amended return falls outside that. https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-return-frequently-asked-questions

However, the instructions for the 1040X note under the When to File section that, "If you filed your original return early (for example, March 1 for a calendar year return), your return is considered filed on the due date (generally April 15)." So that should give a little extra breathing room for filing the amended return for 2020 in this case, as long as it gets done by April 15th of this year.

Paper processing at the service centers is still a mess, so I'd suggest sending it certified mail so if something goes sideways (returns do get lost in processing) you can resubmit with proof that it was originally submitted in time.

Yeah, if you file your return before the due date (without extensions) then the clock on claiming a refund runs from the due date. For 2020 returns, though, don't forget the due date was postponed to May 17. That applies to claims for refund, too. Definitely send it certified or through FedEx or something--you want a copy of that postmark since timely mailed is timely filed.

Emily Spinach fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 19, 2024

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

This isn't as cut and dry - is mom in the USA? On what status? I thought the exemptions were only for US Citizens? Where is the money physically and which country did she withdraw it from?

The exemption is for US citizens and residents. Nonresident aliens have a much smaller exemption, but it's also a question of whether she has a US estate which your questions get at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

smackfu posted:

How did it get to the point where any paper returns are now “maybe in six months we will look at it”?

I thought they used to OCR paper filings and convert them into raw data and then run them through the mainframes. How did it regress?

Covid, I assume. A client's accountant described where they put paper filings as the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.