Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
IRS goon here. Please e-file so when I audit you I don’t have to crawl through an incomplete Unisys printout trying to piece together what your W2s were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Motronic posted:

How are you even supposed to be able to do you job when......

Oh right, the people controlling the money don't want you to be able to do your job.

Just to be clear it doesn't mean we somehow don't wind up looking at your W2s, there's no One Weird Trick here. It means we have to both make you provide copies of them to us, and, sometimes request that a storehouse mail us your original return.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MadDogMike posted:

What, you guys don’t just demand we re-send the W-2 forms like the states do at the drop of a hat? ;). Also I’m doing a bunch of W-7 ITIN applications so sorry, gotta paper file by the rules there.

Oh, no, no, the IRS has your W-2s. We who are supposed to be auditing can also see something like the content of the copies of documents (like W2s) that your employers send to the IRS. What we don't get are the W2s that are attached a paper return transcript. Paper returns are semi-manually entered into our core database and there's not a way to list most of the content of adjunct documents in that process.

When you have an electronic filing we have a completely different parallel database that can print out almost everything from your return in a format that sort of resembles the original document (still buggy and incomplete, though, and frequently down).

H110Hawk posted:

I'm also mad that transcripts don't show my non-deductible IRA contributions. :argh:

Good god that wastes so much of our drat time sometimes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Small White Dragon posted:

Did the TCJA changes make your job easier or harder? Heard the number of people itemizing has gone from ~30% to ~10%.

That's complicated and I don't have a full perspective where I am, particularly since I'm semi-new. In the long run if the TCJA changes stick around they'll probably make our jobs easier on balance. That said, itemized deductions are far from the most aggravating thing to audit. My understanding is that a lot of the people who were abusing EBEs have moved to creating fictitious schedule Cs for the same purpose, which is many times more labor intensive to deal with.

Right now it's especially fun because at my level we're generally auditing people on 2017 and 2018 - lots of room to gently caress up and apply the wrong year's tax laws.

Oh, and typical caveat, I will be providing no actual tax advice, my posts are not the position of the IRS, I will be disclosing no info not available from reading publicly visible documents on the IRS site. I'm just briefly venting.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 26, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I have been reading tax advice online and a ton of these "IRS Strategies" are basically "ways to piss off the people examining your tax return". Yes, we're strapped for resources, but we also know exactly what it means when someone files an amendment within sixty days of statute, or suddenly switches to paper filing with a bunch of written deductions, or keeps trying to delay the audit. It's not clever. If they get away with it, it's because they got lucky with the case selection system, not because it fooled anyone at the IRS.

Another request:

If you get contacted about an audit for a given tax year, please gather your tax documentation, look at your old return, identify any problems...and bring it up in the audit. Do not file an amended return while you're already under audit.

When you do that, congratulations, you just created two separate casefiles, one of which has to go through processing for a month halfway across the country...and then it's going to be sent back to me to process again as part of your audit. All you've done is make me take longer to look at your case. If you want to amend your return or correct your error, you do it through the audit.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 29, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Another request:

Most deductions require that you maintain records of the costs associated. Forms, receipts, cancelled checks, bank statements- you are legally required to maintain those records if you claim them on your tax return. If you don't have them during an audit, you're going to lose the deduction, and you're almost always going to face a penalty.

Please, keep copies of any tax documentation you have for a year, not just originals. If you get a W2, make a copy of the W2. Mortgage interest statement? Make a copy. Receipts for meal expenses? Scan 'em and make sure they're clear. If you only have originals and you get audited, make copies and bring them to the audit.

If you are audited, the IRS has to maintain copies (virtually never originals) of anything we need to evaluate your taxes. If you come in with a bunch of envelopes full of receipts (or a goddamned garbage bag), your audit is going to be extended for weeks as I try to find time to xerox them all and mail them back to you, on top of actually evaluating your case.

We are the IRS. We cannot afford to keep our copiers operational There was one working copier in the building at my office last week. It was also the only available printer for most of us. Making copies of documents for you will take a very long time. Interest will continue to accumulate on anything you owe. Make copies. Bring copies.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 2, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MrMidnight posted:

Appreciate your insider tips. A lot of it is common sense but most folks don't seem to understand that.

Question for you. Does the fact that a return is shown as accepted by the IRS mean it has already gone through the computer check and is currently in the queue to get the refund through the system?

Probably/usually, yes. There are exceptions, and the processing people are in a whole different part of the country (due to all the cutbacks I think there are only two processing offices in the entire US).

I do wanna emphasize none of these are "insider" tips- it's all in public documentation/publications from the IRS.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

A CPA I was recommended wants $400 for my federal+state return, with my two W2s and twofour 1099Rs. That seems an alarmingly high cost; that and MadDogMike's answer to my previous question has me leaning toward self-filing what I've already put together in FreeTaxUSA.

I'm confident I've got what I have filled in correct, and at this point from going over my 2019 bank statements I'm 99% sure I have all my income sources covered for. If I'm wrong, any dollar amounts will me minor. Nevertheless: how arduous is the amendment process, and how hard - if at all - would I get dinged by the IRS over and above whatever refund money I'd have to return?

Please see my post from earlier about filing an amended return mid-audit. No better way to increase how much you owe than forcing another month of interest and delay on your outstanding amount.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

These are my best answers given my limited understanding from the perspective of a small part of the bureaucracy. No guarantees, not tax advice, etc. Please see what the other actual tax expert people here say.

Ciaphas posted:

Duly noted. If I were to notice a problem before the IRS does (or at least before I know they know via audit letter :v:), I would want to get the amended return out ASAP, right? Or is it still better in that case to wait, to prevent delays and penalties?

By all means file an amended return in that scenario. If you wait it is possible the IRS won't notice or won't have the resources to pick up your case, but I will know and I will judge you for your ill-gotten gains, you monster.

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of which: if I file for a (say) $5K refund but an audit determines it should have been $4K, that $1000 difference accrues interest, right? Starting on 15 April?

Yes, assuming everything else is normal/filed on time, etc.

Ciaphas posted:

(edit) Reading the above post, is there a clear line between the IRS saying "hey, fix this, no harm no foul" and saying "here's an audit, chump"?

That I don't know- there are whole systems/ different permutations of correspondence examination/correction, but I've only done office audits. If there's a dollar amount, I would not be legally allowed to tell you.

Different tiers of audit from the IRS are mostly based on how much info the IRS needs to understand what's going on, and, through different permutations of that question, whether it's faster to resolve a case by mail("correspondence audit"), getting you to come in with your documents and ask questions ("office audit"), or sending someone to your home/business ("field audit"). As an office audit person who can't go to your house, it is very frustrating to try to evaluate the size/legitness of your home office deduction.

The flipside here is that office and field audits are, ofc, more expensive to conduct, so I'd imagine case classification is partly based on the amount involved as well- which is why I still get office in the home cases. But it's not really about the "severity" of the issue. We're so desperately shortstaffed and underfunded we can't even perform that sort of triage.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 5, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Thanks sullat- in case it's not clear, my area of knowledge is actually pretty limited. I just see what crosses my desk shared workspace in the federal building rented office sub-basement.

Publication 3498 is the official audit process description. It's semi-legible, though it's mostly focused on the appeals process (we give it to people at the end of an office audit).

Don't worry though, I have a much more convenient resource for you.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 5, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I've never heard of someone shooting and hanging themselves at the same time before.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is this your way of saying that TurboTax and HR Block suck?

I don't know them in any detail, though they both have their own ways of steering people wrong. Mostly I just loathe the companies behind them. Try the instructions on the irs website, it's got a bunch of QBI materials.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Handsome Ralph posted:

So I filed my taxes and reported misc. income my wife made, but then lo and behold, she informed me after we filed that she got 1099-Misc forms for that income.

Do I need to ammend my return with those 1099's or am I in the clear since I already reported that income?

To clarify, are you asking if you need to file a 1099-MISC with your tax return as someone who received that income? Because that's not what that form is for.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

sale on Banksy art posted:

I would not work with an accountant who says things like "mistake in your favor." Doing taxes is not Monopoly rules.

US Income Tax Thread: Bank error in your favor! GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

In particular, I know that turbotax has a whole laundry list of "Exception error" sort of situations where some part of your situation is just unusual enough that the software will spit out an error number and, if you're lucky, associated materials will tell you roughly what form number to fill out to actually address your situation - usually involving the sort of manual calculations and ambiguities that are the whole reason someone might want to get tax software in the first place!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

At some point I will share some stories about the software we have to use internally at the IRS.

Imagine using microsoft office, but pressing the print icon or any button labeled "Cancel" will cause a full application crash.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Without further detail I'd say that like most of the other issues at IRS (and the issues are dire), the tech problems stem from:

a) several decades of catastrophically insufficient funding,
b) the procedures and triage and workarounds that have built up as multiple generations tried to address a), and
c) the culture of fatalism that develops when a) and b) have been in place longer than anyone has been working for the organization.

The people I work with at IRS are almost universally well-intentioned and as effective as the environment lets them be. Everyone is stretched too thin, or held accountable to too onerous and myopic a set of standards, to make the connections and revisions that could ameliorate things.

The budget problem's the core of it all, espeically as it effects tech. Last I checked IRS spends a billion dollars of its budget just on tech upkeep. The federal taxpayer database, IDRS, is a 1960s command mainframe, a direct successor to UNIVAC built out of cobol and assembly. Almost all of the other tech and procedures and systems that exist at IRS (which are all also old and semifunctional in their own ways) were built to accommodate IDRS. Maybe the worst part is that in every case I can understand why every one of these bad buggy incoherent rules made perfect sense to a decisionmaker, once upon a time.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 16, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

IRS audit tip:

If you're paying someone to prepare your return, they have to sign it. They have to fill out an entire additional document talking about how they prepared it. A document that says "Paid Preparer's Due Diligence" at the top, in bold. Due diligence, as in following the law and not committing fraud. On your tax return. The thing you are paying them to prepare, the thing you are signing and giving to the Federal Government.

Why do you think they are trying to avoid being associated with your tax return?

If someone ran up to you in the street and asked you to just hang on to their bloody knife for a couple weeks, would you do it? Use some common sense.

C'mon. :sigh:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 25, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Deviant posted:

And if I do my friend's for free?

s'fine.

See also:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/irs-tax-volunteers

https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/news/NTA_Blog_TAP_is_now_recruiting_volunteers

https://improveirs.org/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MadDogMike posted:

Also the odds of that letter being correct may vary. If it's a "you left this form's information off your return" they probably are correct about you owing money on it unless there's some mechanism to offset the income (like a missed 1099-SA HSA distribution where you mainly just need to tell them it was used for medical expenses). The deductions/credits thing is kind of random and speaking on this side of it seems to be linked to some category the IRS decided to examine that particular year; depending on what they picked it may be accurate or wildly off. Had a bunch of clients get dinged a few years ago for claiming mortgage interest without their name on the 1098, the fact that marriages/divorces and bank screw ups make that of dubious accuracy for figuring out who claimed mortgage interest wrongly was apparently not considered in that choice (thankfully they accepted "here's proof this person was the one actually paying" for a response). In any event I recommend having somebody double-check any letter before sending payment, you'd be amazed how often it boils down to "the IRS/state doesn't know some mitigating fact". Kind of annoying really how those things are written to default to a "Pay us now" attitude rather than "Explain this" given how many should really be the latter.

The IRS does "special projects" for a variety of reasons, often to test new ways of evaluating returns for audit potential, or to collect data about part of the taxpayer population to see if they should be audited more. Special projects are one of the ways the IRS can improve its procedures, though regrettably as with many other areas, the special projects model is profoundly compromised by insufficient resources and poor support from above. I'm hoping to propose a special project myself at some point. Going entirely from what you said, it sounds like they may have been evaluating whether there was some sort of evasion practice using 1098s without proper names, something that would justify making it a factor in audit decisions going forward.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 27, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MadDogMike posted:

That would explain a lot if they were testing audit effectiveness of checking 1098s, just struck me as a foolish choice at the time since it flagged a bunch of people who didn’t actually owe anything. If they were testing if it was effective rather than assuming it was that makes more sense. Wasn’t quite as funny as the year when a focus on double checking basis of capital transactions wound up with us finding additional capital losses for a bunch of clients and getting them refunds thanks to the letters, though that one must have caught a bunch of people since I’ve seen many of those since.

To be clear the goal's accuracy, not just finding missing revenue- there are special projects that just get people more refunds, I think. I may audit people because we think they may owe additional tax, but if I find there's a way they should've gotten a refund, they get that refund.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Actually, I've got a 1095-C and a 1099-HC. Apparently that isn't supported on FTU. Do I need to go elsewhere?

1095-C isn't used anymore or something, and 1099-HC was for the state taxes part.

I owed 5 bux to the IRS :v: But I got a $120 return from MA.

The idea is to get as close to $0 as possible on both counts, right?

The part where you want to get close to zero is specifically when you're making withholding payments. The idea is to be accurate in what you put on the forms, whatever that may mean in terms of taxes owed.

We don't need the healthcare form because we are supposed to get the healthcare info from other orgs along the chain. You should keep it for your records in case something goes wrong with that process- it's a backstop you can give us if you get audited.

I really hate it when people have healthcare coverage irregularities- those systems are a pain to navigate and were rushed in setup, so there's a lot of manual entry and unusually complex procedures involved.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I am very pleased to announce that I've accepted a position in the IRS's communications division! I'm now producing (and frequently performing in, because budget) educational videos about tax compliance for posting to social media.

My first work is already out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNCy9_DU8I4

(I promise that tie was an office in-joke, I don't normally wear it)

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 15, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The IRS has delayed the payment deadline to July 15 due to the coronavirus outbreak:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

we have not delayed the filing deadline. Please file your taxes before April 15th. See the site for details.

See below.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 20, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

The IRS has delayed the payment deadline to July 15 due to the coronavirus outbreak:

we have not delayed the filing deadline. Please file your taxes before April 15th. See the site for details.

Word is coming from the washington post that Mnuchin is now saying the filing deadline is also postponed to July. I've not heard anything official.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ceiling fan posted:

That's awesome. You've joined a famous, even legendary team!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jW04WmOw7s

Do Three's Company next!

God what

this is loving lavish, when on earth did we have the budget to do this? We've been recycling the same UNAX scenario clips for 30 years because we can't afford to take a camera offsite anymore

like, this is what we use to try to recruit people!

(I do not work in our comms division, if I did things would be much less dire there)

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 21, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Avatar purchases for IRS goons do not qualify as an advance payment against liability.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to do a Gilligan's Island sketch ofc, but my god we could have better scripts, actors, and visuals than the pseudo-powerpoints we've currently got.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0RebubZ3f4

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MadDogMike posted:

Funny the stupid things that stand out in your brain, mine immediately went "I'd be in trouble if I left that much paperwork with SSNs on it out on my desk". Granted the occasions when I'm working on something and people suddenly dump another client on me make the place look like a paper explosion, but at a certain point I expect to triage and lock stuff up to finish later. Also can't really buy the charity notion given how many I ask who say "I dunno how much I gave, let's just leave it off since I can't find the receipt anyway". Though the opposite end with people who save those receipts showing a $3 contribution with their purchase somewhere are somewhat amusing (especially when they don't have near enough stuff to even consider itemizing). Only real charity annoyances are the lots of physical item donation types; Form 8283 drives me insane to fill out in job lots, especially when they give everything to the same place and I try not to confuse entries. I have the local Goodwill address memorized from typing it so much. On my crazier days going through about 15+ entries I'm half-tempted to substitute "Looted" for "Purchased" for "how acquired" on a few entries in the middle and see if anyone notices. I suppose for real honesty I shouldn't put "Thrift Shop Value" down for how FMV was calculated, more like "Best guess using those crappy price sheets they hand out which don't cover half the things the client gave". It ain't the sale of home that worries me when clients move, it's how many items they donate to avoid having to move them...

tbh I love charitable contribution cases, they're really fast and straightforward 99% of the time. But there's definitely a lot of incorrect practices on them out there, especially with documenting value of donated objects. No, the door hanger where you made up a number for value isn't adequate, Mr. taxpayer. Those weren't $5,000 dollars of tshirts you donated to goodwill.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I had a discussion with my CPA, and disagree with what they filed for my 2019 returns. It has been filed and accepted. I want to change my COGS to reflect the items that sold in 2019. How can I go about it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040x

Be aware that the entire IRS is basically on fire at the moment due to the coronavirus outbreak. I have no idea how long it will take for them to respond to your amended return.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I've set up a script of different issues and elements about the relief that I go through with taxpayers (on the rare chance that I can speak with them under the circumstances), but it's mostly covered well on the IRS site.

It is, uh, going to get messier, if multiple additional different relief regimes pass.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Here's the IRS site

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

sullat posted:

One (of many) concerns that I have is what happens with all the people who get their refunds through their preparers. It's a lot more than you think, since it's so easy to check the 'take your fee from my refund' box on Turbo Tax or whatever.

Preparers directly getting paid from a refund is super illegal, it has to be done via specific legal instruments that transfer the funds through control of a separate entity before they hit the taxpayer's account. See 31 CFR § 10.31.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 31, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

If you're dealing with audits, please be patient. We're now looking at the total seizeup of basically the entire examination system.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bad news everyone, your relief checks are going to be delayed because the President decided he wants his name on all of them, and we have to rework the software that handles payments so it can do that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hoodwinker posted:

Does this just apply to the physical checks or is the whole system being delayed (including the direct deposited ones) until Chester Cheeto can get his John Hancock on them?

Just the physical checks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

Hey maybe you can give me some guidance. I'm trying to fax some stuff to the IRS and keep getting a busy signal. Any hope of that clearing up before the coronapocalypse ends or are my clients who need me to send stuff in hosed? I know the IRS said they're not processing paper returns right now but what about letter responses and other forms like 2553's?

I don't know, sorry. I know that some processing offices aren't taking faxes from other internal systems, and that those machines were turned off. No idea if that fits your case though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

General rule with tax preparers is you're ultimately signing on the dotted line that you're accepting responsibility for your filing. It's ultimately your money, and your assertion to the IRS about what you owe.

My personal basic rule for tax prep (this isn't some sort of IRS advice, just my personal opinion) is that you should be going with a preparer because they will be more accurate and faster than if you did it personally. Preparers who market themselves on getting you more refund/less tax, or who seem to magickally produce that sort of outcome, aren't trustworthy.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The rollout of the payments has been plagued with a range of bugs. Some include people being unable to see their status on the site, and cases where direct deposit info on file belonged to preparation software companies that were using an escrow to advance part of the return. I am not involved enough to answer any questions about any of it, I'm afraid, aside from saying that you're not alone if you're experiencing problems.