Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

onoflalks posted:

The BBC reporter said it rolled for about an hour before derailing. Jesus :stare:

How in the gently caress... this is like massive negligence, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jesus loving Christ.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't think the Pendolinos are particularly ugly. On the other hand the seats are designed so if you're above a certain height you can never, ever be fully comfortable or take a nap. Those really old Soviet-looking trains that ran between Manchester and Liverpool were more pleasant to nap in no matter how many times drunken soccer hooligans have thrown up in them over the years.

Then again I'm from California so the idea of taking a train between two cities was a novelty no matter how many times I did it.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 16, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Axeman Jim posted:

And what the hell is that loving three-tone beeping that the PAs make every 10 minutes? Is that the same dodgy toilet alarms?

Ugh. I eventually used that thing to mark the time elapsed on the trip between Manchester and London (horrible seats or not, its infinitely preferable to trying to fly the same distance). gently caress knows what they're actually supposed to be for.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

iospace posted:

So UP is moving a special train down to West Colton to move the Big Boy to Cheyenne. The lead locomotive is UP 4014 and the trailing is UP 4884, the two best to do it with.

I thought 4014 was the Big Boy.

EDIT: Oh, right, it's UPP 4014 now.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 23, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

B4Ctom1 posted:

I would hope by now most of you would have seen or heard about this from the day 4014 arrived:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2626230/Look-Oblivious-train-spotters-distracted-vintage-locomotive-hit-slowest-near-miss-ever.html

direct link to video (loud train sounds and cursing warning)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwO-IWorGv4

Why don't they look, Ralph? Tell me. Why don't they look.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BrokenKnucklez posted:

People turn stupid around trains. Its pretty amazing.

Why don't they look, Ralph? Tell me... why don't they look?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh9zM8oQhpY

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Did British Rail ever manage to build anything that worked right?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stick Insect posted:

The HST is a good example. It was built as a temporary solution to stand in for the APT, which was lovely on a legendary scale. But this temporary solution turned out to be really quite good.

Oh, right, forgot about those. I actually found them more comfortable than the Pendolinos traveling out of Manchester when I lived there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Honestly if the Pendolinos had better seats they'd be fine. Not necessarily more room per passenger, but seats that don't feel like they're meant to recline but can't actually manage it so you spend the entire trip one degree away from being comfortable.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When this train hits eighty-eight miles-per-hour, you're gonna see some serious poo poo.

So is the maintenance depot.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm conflicted: it's always sad to read how totally the UK government and BR hosed up the railroads in the UK, but on the other hand, I always love reading your posts about BR and the amazingly messed up things that they whelped.

The answer is the government created BR and continually meddled with it so it never actually worked, then used them as a scapegoat, which was easy since BR was almost completely incompetent anyway.

Interestingly enough, American dieselization was, like most things involving American railroads, begun by the private sector. Except it was spearheaded in part by General Motors, who were looking to expand outside the saturated auto market. The U.S. Navy was involved too because railroad diesels were, from their point of view, an ideal industrial base for building engines for submarines.

The Deltic diesel, incidentally, originated with an Admiralty requirement for a fast attack craft engine.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 14, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

smackfu posted:

Seems like the wave action has to be practically nil for that to work well.

That's what harbors are for in the first place.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

iospace posted:

On one hand, THERE IS A HORN FOR A REASON.

On the other, when you're driving a big rear end truck like that, slamming on the brakes in snowy weather can lead to not fun, so I think the driver was screwed either way.

The driver was probably screwed because THE loving CROSSING WARNING WASN'T WORKING. Seriously, why the gently caress wasn't the crossing warning working?

nm posted:

One article I read said that it had failed down and the railroad had sent someone out to fix it a bit before this happened. So I bet that guy screwed something up.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/4858097-155/video-shows-frontrunner-train-hit-semi-trailer

Yep, this one's on the railroad.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 26, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

iospace posted:

Yes, but you're still supposed to be aware. While yes, it's on the railroad, aren't you taught in driver's ed to double check to make sure? I was, at least.

Visibility looked pretty bad in that video, he might not have seen the train at all, double check or not.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bluetooth in ear = dance all night

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gorilla Salad posted:

Better pictures:

New Overwatch map looks really good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HERAK posted:

Pacers may be poo poo, but all the windows make for an excellent view on the slow train from Sheffield to Manchester through the
Peak District national park.

The Manchester-Leeds train has some outstanding views too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Speaking of locomotive insanity, a guy in Phoenix was released from jail in the morning, ended up going to a rail yard and trying to steal a locomotive. Busted again.

http://fox6now.com/2017/11/18/police-man-nearly-steals-two-trains-from-phoenix-rail-yard

Is it even possible to steal a locomotive by yourself?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

vains posted:

i dont understand the fascination with wanting to ride a train to get somewhere.

If I had the choice I'd much rather take an overnight train than deal with an airport. Sleeper cars are awesome.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Why don't they look?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naix-f6KSIg

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

ScotRail having some fun times in the Highlands this morning; reason for derailment - landslide

For some reason I'm remember the old Monty Python line "Well, you can't blame British Rail for that!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm visiting Seattle this October and I live in San Diego. Is it reasonable to take Amtrak all the way up the coast instead of driving or flying if I have the time to spare?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lads' night at the maintenance depot got a little out of hand, I see.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, RIP.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arishtat posted:

Edit: never I did

The Kenosha Kid?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Welp, I always knew British trains were poo poo, I just didn't realize HOW poo poo. The idea of no air brakes in 1950 is loving mindboggling to me. The US figured that poo poo out in the 1800's.

Even today they only have freight cars with single axles.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean in a series about sentient locomotives isn't there an implication that the diesel engines essentially caused a genocide of steam engines on the mainland? You can cast Sodor as kind of like a reservation for indigenous peoples and diesels as settler colonists.

And why on Earth am I thinking about this?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

He's right, you know.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This guy fucks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

IDGI

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JuffoWup posted:

Are you talking of an actual helium blimp? Or this flatbed plane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-DM2eJIS9k

Because yeah, high winds is bad news for an airship/blimp. And I imagine flying at 400mph doesn't do any favors to the cargo on that plane.

So did these designers just forget that drag and air resistance are things?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The Pacific Surfliner is hands down the least stressful way I've ever traveled to Los Angeles.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Meanwhile, in Ukraine...

https://twitter.com/AKamyshin/status/1589353970283446272

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Guy Axlerod posted:

A non-station stop would be just the side of the rail somewhere in the middle of nowhere. It's probably a flag stop so you'd probably have to flag the train down to get on, or notify the conductor to get off there.

I don't think Caltrain would have any stops that aren't station stops. The Alaska railroad has a few. Not sure about Amtrak.

There's a few stops I've seen that are the next cousin to this. Back in 1990 the Amtrak stop for Grass Valley was a tiny platform by the side of a road. I don't think it even exists any more.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JingleBells posted:

The National Railway Museum have just posted a video of their most prized possession, the Pacer :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWVMmvOswjU

Of loving course the destination is Manchester Victoria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

“Murder on the BNSF Mixed Consist” doesn’t have the same ring.

I'd watch it.