Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ExplodingSims posted:

And then there's Tegachapi Loop. Something that I never knew existed outside of model rail roads. They track loops over itself. Leading to trains crossing over themselves. Wierd

Interestingly, the Tegachapi Loop also exists inside model railroads. The San Diego Model Railroad Museum has a display with a lot of the SoCal Union Pacific line including that loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Tracked funicular drydock with turntable... that's incredible.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

McDeth posted:

I love trains, but the way that California High Speed rail is being implemented is so hosed it boggles the imagination. That's not to mention the fact that the company that won the contract, Tutor-Perini, has direct ties with Senator Diane Jewstein's husband. Cronyism capitalism at its finest.

:what:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

B4Ctom1 posted:

Do you think people in the future who hear about 21 hour flights in just a chair will think we were crazy as well?

Probably. I already do.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

B4Ctom1 posted:

I was told by a friend that worked in the Oakland yard that he carried an old wallet with 5 bucks, an expired license, and an expired credit card in it.

If someone says, "hand over the wallet or I will shoot and kill you". You better not tell them that you left your wallet in the locker so that you couldn't be robbed.

I did that all the time in high-pickpocket areas overseas.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
About ten minutes into the May 1 broadcast is a 20 minute segment with Sim Webb, Casey Jones's fireman, describing the famous accident.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Locator posted:

I'm sure that they were very careful to source concrete and wires that did not use any resources from mines or factories, and managed to somehow get to the location of the sabotage using no highways or gasoline which would have been delivered in a pipeline.

I then assume that they somehow managed to post their actions to the internet without somehow using any fiberoptics (or those pesky control centers... that's kind of vague), with a magical computer (or tablet or phone) that wasn't made in a factory or transported using fuel or a highway (or railroad track for that matter).

Eco terrorists are such loving hypocrites.

Also, what the gently caress is a 'proppants'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing_proppants

Also, they themselves are made of carbon.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Delivery McGee posted:

To oversimplify: works pretty much like a 2-stroke gas engine, except the rapidly-expanding gas that pushes on the piston is steam made by an external boiler instead of an explosion in the cylinder. Steamships' engines used the same principle as locomotives (but on a much larger scale) until around the end of WWII, when giant diesels became the norm. Steam turbine-powered ships (nuclear or oil-fired, though the first one was built in 1894, and coal-fired) are like a turboshaft but with steam instead of the compressor/burner stages.

To be more accurate, from the late 19th century to the mid 20th, steam ships used triple expansion engines which send the steam through three different pistons to extract as much energy as possible from the steam. In 1906, the HMS Dreadnought was the first warship to use a steam turbine and instantly all piston powered warships were obsolete, triple expansion was almost exclusively used by civilian shipping.
Also, all steam ships use condensing engines under vacuum for increased power and efficiency rather than discharging steam to the air like most locomotives.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tex Avery posted:

Legally, UP owns the locomotive. They got permission to paint it up in the Loewy scheme for the commemoration of the presidential library in College Station, TX, but then rarely used it after that. The last decade or so it's been at some shop in Arkansas to 1) keep it out of the reach of vandals and 2) have it on stand by for this event they've been planning for years. Apparently, every time Bush Sr. got sick, they'd rush it to Houston on a hot train and have it waiting.

The rumor now is that it will be gutted and put on permanent display outside of the library. Gutting it would make sense because that's probably the lowest mileage SD70ACe in the US, so those parts will be in great shape.

Is there a particular connection between UP and College Station or GHWB that inspired them to do this?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

So when Trump dies will there be a presidential funeral truck?

It would make sense

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FuturePastNow posted:

supposedly they're painting over that soon because Donald doesn't like it

Trump wants the replacement jets to have a flipped version of his own Trump livery, basically:
https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/1139153329769123840

However Congress has legislation filed to prevent it from being changed without Congressional approval so we'll see where that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
How much Nazi gold does Texas have?