Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

This is a Union Pacific GTEL: a gas turbine-electric locomotive. Most of them burned gas. This one was an experimental design.

The thing in the back is a converted steam locomotive coal tender; it's a coal crusher. This thing ran off coal dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Hezzy posted:

Please tell me they don't have live overheads on the street ones?? Line trespass must be a massive bitch!

San Francisco has a shitload of overhead lines criscrossing a lot of the major intersections for the electric MUNI buses. Sometimes you see them pulled over with the driver trying to reseat the pantograph.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

This South African Class 9E Series 1 locomotive is both a cool train and cool high voltage electrical equipment. 50 thousand volts!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

They're in/near my county. I had no idea any of those ancient Northwestern Pacific rail lines were still in remotely usable condition.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Method Loser posted:

just taking a shortcut

Haven't you ever head of road trains? :rolleyes:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Huge_Midget posted:

For more information about air cooled nuclear reactors, see this awesome (and terrifying) wiki entry.

I am all for a nuclear ramjet train that poisons everything around it with fission products. EXTREME TRANSPORT.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Axeman Jim tell us about the Deltics :allears:

ExplodingSims posted:

Good grief, after reading all this it's hard to believe British Rail has survived as long as it has.
Also after reading this it feels like Thomas the Tank Engine was meant to be viewed as a serious documentary on the state of British Rail. :v:

British Rail: confusion and delay

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

an irreplacable treasure

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The only way that you're going to be able to top this is by driving a humongous steam engine through Iraq in wartime.

I feel like that's the point at which this becomes relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcB43bQl5gI

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

What do y'all think of this new north Bay Area train thingy?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

You'd think they'd be built with spring-loaded hinges so it could pivot away from the tracks when pushed.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

SybilVimes posted:

LMS drivers used to do that a lot, I don't know why

because it's badass

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3g0ZeWSSqM

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Hyperriker posted:

Christ, see them scrambling just before the impact

i heard from somewhere that the driver was drunk and when the gates came down he mistook the level crossing for a parking lot

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

:stonk:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

for a moment I didn't know what thread I was in and was about to start defending Pacers, but nope, wrong Pacer

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Brovine posted:

Mechanical coal feeds were trialled on certain designs, but partly due to bureaucracy (appropriate coal was rarely provided, and the locomotives they were trialled on were barely big enough to be worth it) they weren't considered a success. When they didn't work properly, it made firing the engine manually even harder.

Plus if the fireman got his arm in the way, it'd take it off, just like that. This was a problem in Soviet locomotives.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Can someone tell me what happened at 1:40, because I'm pretty sure rails aren't supposed to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5D1Ms4Qes0

All I can think of is Repair + Russian = Crazy Rail.

I want to know what exactly that smell was that that dog loved so much

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

apparently some mysterious force is burning out the electrical components on BART cars that go through the Transbay Tunnel, taking 40 of them out of service last Monday alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

in other bay area rail news: whoops