Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Axeman Jim posted:

The only remaining railway to Cornwall (after two other routes were closed in the 1960s) has now been washed out and about 700,000 people no longer have a rail link to London. A couple of years ago, a proposal was raised to re-open one of the other routes (about half of which still exists as a heritage line), but it was deemed "too expensive" at £100 million. Well you engineers out there might want to hazard a guess of what the repair bill at Dawlish will be, and it seems odd to be spending 20 Billion on a high-speed line to Birmingham when 100m to build a line to the South West that won't get closed every time the wind picks up is "too expensive." But hey, British Railway planning.

Oh, Dr. Beeching!

Edit: One of our neighbors seems like they might be cool. You may have to up the brightness to see it properly, Sonoma County this morning is under a British layer of weather.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Sure, sure, but spend some time ogling an InterCity 125 with that swallow paint job and then try and tell me the British never made one good train.

Pacers, though. Riding a Pacer to Leamington Spa during one winter visit made me glad I left the UK before I had to commute on post-privatization regional lines. The inhuman squeal the thing makes going around corners, because it's literally grinding at the rails.

[IMG-WEEPING ISAMBARD KINGDOM BRUNEL]

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 11, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Wanna ride Amtrak and then write about it?

http://blog.amtrak.com/amtrakresidency/

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Speaking of micro-lines, how about the London Necropolis Railway?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Thank you for posting these, Axeman Jim. I disagree with your viewpoint on free-market vs state-run economies when it comes to critical infrastructure so I ignore all those :words:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Bozza posted:

I'm sorry, but that is a massive misinterpretation of Clapham, leaves on the line and late 80s BR.
Clapham was not a failure of maintenance, it was a new works job which was and is an enitrely different function. Your basic interpretation of the crash is correct (nearly) in that yes the installer had been working long hours but ignores the other causal factors which are discussed at length in the Hidden Inquiry, mostly standards and practices within S&T installation work requiring independent verification of works, leading to SWTH as we know it today and incompetent project management.

I'd love to hear more about this - from both you and Axeman Jim - especially if you can tailor it towards readers who haven't been in the belly of the beast. I was too young at the time to understand much of what was going on, and the Wikipedia article isn't that detailed. I'm going to give the Hidden Enquiry (PDF) a read through but some interpretation would be nice!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

http://consumerist.com/2014/07/11/police-please-stop-pooping-on-roofs-of-passing-trains/

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

B4Ctom1 posted:

Some guy from Virginia took this pic. You need to like and follow Hogg Law on Facebook.

Phone posting so I timg'ed it since I cannot guard against table breakage.

Shhhhhhhhh, it's sleeping

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Gonna help me avoid driving the terrible 2-lane bottleneck on 101 just south of Petaluma, so I am a fan of it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Obligatory "wrong type of snow" mention.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

All human life is there, from the feeble old dear to the screaming child.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

:allears:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

BalloonFish posted:

Why can't somone (government or industry) just actually spend some money on giving us some proper trains more than once per century?

Industry won't do it because it's not profitable enough (i.e. the profit margin is larger with these DEMUs), and gov't won't do it because ~the free market will solve everything~

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Next time there's a moonless night let's sneak in and relocate all the rails to bougie neighborhoods

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Better pictures:

Eat the rich.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

you gotta hand it to 'em, they're loving up public transportation in ways i couldn't have imagined

ETA something like content: Is rail freight a thing in the UK?

While i was looking that up I found out about the post office underground railway

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 5, 2018

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

a train of refrigerated cars of chicken got stranded for weeks in a town near New Orleans because of Katrina, the area stunk for a very long time

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY446h4pZdc

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

lots of disgruntled workers, you say? angry at the employing class, you say? and meanwhile we're gonna somehow get to communism?

well of course these things have never been related

*stares at Winter Palace*
*mournful train horn*
*single tear*

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I don't wanna have to train for it, I hate the gym ☹️

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

So when Trump dies will there be a presidential funeral truck?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/Bkasparas/status/1088924929003831297?s=20

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

:lol:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Log082 posted:

Livestreams caught a train derailment on horseshoe curve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LedfGZCz7t0

Timestamp is 16:08 by the time at the top of the video (not youtube's time.)

wha?

The video goes from 00:30 to 12:30 for me, so there's no 16:08. Could someone post a timestamped link for the YT video, or a trimmed version? Thanks.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Ah! Thank you!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD3QlR98--A

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

America Needs More Trains.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I also think that I like trying to figure out how disasters happened and that might not be socially appropriate.

have you considered a career with the US Chemical Safety Board

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

executive-endorsed showboating: easier than paying essential workers what they're worth, also you get to instruct your lackeys to do a donut/honk the horn

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

oh thats some good pipe acting at 19m20

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

the trains were locked up but I stuck my camera through the bars

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFKa8K9qZBQ

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

they're heading to the breeding grounds

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

the UK had arguably the best public information ads about not sneaking onto the railway right of way (because you'll die or be horribly maimed) but it's just my luck I can't remember any of them

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

The COVID19 action restrictions were lifted for the first time in three years, and on April 29, 2022, the first day of a major holiday weekend (known as "Golden Week" in Japan), many tourists took the bullet train, making it crowded.The Shinkansen also ran a large number of trains to meet the demand.This video shows the Tohoku, Joetsu, and Hokuriku Shinkansen running every 4 minutes. Although the Shinkansen has only four platforms, which is poor equipment compared to Europe and other countries, the Shinkansen runs almost precisely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ge81gKqtvE

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

Promo film for the 1968 UAC/Sikorsky TurboTrain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF7RCEGgqO0

Some pretty neat stuff.

Wow! More than TWO YEARS of research and engineering!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

BalloonFish posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nhFVQFnOltY

Came across this great atmospheric video of traditional signalling operations in Serbia. Love the chain-driven crossing barriers with the half-hearted warning gongs. And the resident railway dog

look how happy the train is!

Only registered members can see post attachments!