Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Some cool pictures I found of the soon to be completed HSR line between Lanzhou and Urumqi in China. I remember seeing a documentary on the rail line they build to Tibet awhile back and it was interesting seeing what they ahd to do to deal with frozen soil conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

IPCRESS posted:

Yeah, but what's the over/under on a trainload of Chinese folks starving to death in a tunnel because maintenance de-energized the line and then spent a month thinking about it before they started work?

im curious as to where this sentiment comes from. Say what you may about China and its government but their rail system is world class.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

NoWake posted:

It was hyperbole, but stems from last week's report of a woman found starved to death in an elevator, with mangled hands and claw marks all over the doors. Maintenance had shut it down a month prior without checking to see if it was occupied.
:stare: Yikes well that's certainly frightening

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Ryand-Smith posted:

I will fight you on this. Just because Kawasaki had some issues does not mean Americans can't build good rail cars. The American built cars of Kawasaki for the NY subway are high reliability, the M7 and M9s are high reliability.

Can't be any worse than the British

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

smackfu posted:

I’ve been watching some of the California High Speed Rail construction progress videos, and it seems like a lot of the effort (and cost) is building giant viaducts to cross over existing freight rail lines. Is this what other HSR countries have to do too?

it's also cheaper and faster if you do it at a large enough scale. everything can be pre-cast and assembled on site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XZOXRgVBMI

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Yikes, how is this allowed? Remind me never to ship anything by rail rail again in the US. Although shipping by truck is probably still more risky, so what do I know.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the content of your post indicates that you aren't in the logistics industry so like it aint really up to you in that case

Unfortunately it is, sure we've got logistics people handling it, but we still need to choose method of shipping based off of delivery times and cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

X-post from the comics megathread! Just look at all the optimism for the future of railroading ! The great railroad meltdown was gathering momentum but nobody realized it yet.

fiction becomes reality

https://x.com/davidpgoldman/status/1767527231520149526?s=20