Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
The Norfolk and Western J Series 611

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%26W_J_class_%281941%29

Probably my all time favorite steam locomotive.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Lionel Super O supremacy!

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Gorilla Salad posted:

In the green room.

Biggest resolution you have please!

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

That site and those pictures are awesome.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Speaking of NKP 765, here's it's mainline schedule for the next month or so.
http://fortwaynerailroad.org/2012-excursion-schedule/#content

I live in Fort Wayne and am a huge antique steam nut and how the hell did I not know about this? Is there any way the general public can catch a ride on this?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Lionel O gauge for life!

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

http://www.fireup611.org/main/index.php

So they are doing a feasibility study of restoring the last remaining J-Class locomotive, No. 611, to operational status. I remember riding on this train when I was 4 years old back in the early 80's when it came through Fort Wayne, and it might by why I think it's still the most beautiful steam locomotive ever produced. Not to mention it was also probably the fastest ever built, achieving over 100 mph back in the 50's on the Fort Wayne racetrack spur.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Brother Jonathan posted:

This picture seems to fit the thread title of "Locomotive Insanity" well:

This is awesome, and yet it makes me very sad. The promise of the "future" back in America's heyday was great. Our grandparents had saved the world and were investing in America's future, so that their children would have a better tomorrow. And what did their children, our parents, do to further that legacy? They poo poo on everything their parents did for them, gutted unions and the labor movement, got greedy and gave corporations and the rich all of the power and look at the loving mess we are in because of their short-sightedness. Our infrastructure hasn't been touched since WW2, all of the funding we poured into science and technology has all but dried up, and its only now, in their twilight, that our parent's generation have only started to realize their colossal mistake because they dismantled the very social safety net that their parents broke their backs to build for them.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but goddamn it makes me sad to think that the rest of the world is going to pass us by and we'll still be stuck cleaning up the mess our parents made. Maybe our children will get to ride on bullet trains powered by renewable energy...

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

For more information about air cooled nuclear reactors, see this awesome (and terrifying) wiki entry.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx6hmSclbRE

Youtube video of a Steam Locomotive being built.

Seeing that video made me miss my grandfather. He worked for the Lima Locomotive Works before WWII building steam locomotives. Unfortunately he died when I was 5 so I never really got to talk to him about the trains that he helped build.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

It makes me sad when non-idiots intervene on behalf of idiots to prevent them from getting killed. We're not doing the species any favors people, let Darwin handle it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Enos Shenk posted:

The Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society had an open house today. I actually got to go this year thanks to my work schedule, and it was pretty drat cool.

They've got a bigass diesel in their shed they're restoring too.

It was funny, when I was looking around the cabin some obviously on-the-spectrum fellow came in, asked me "OOH IS THIS THE WHISTLE" and grabbed a random lever and started yanking it. One of the nice old volunteers had to tell him to knock that poo poo off.

Then they really did let him blow the whistle a couple minutes later. When I was down next to wheels. poo poo is loud, yo.

Sup fellow Fort Wayne AI goon. I think that makes 3 or 4 of us now.