Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Brother Jonathan posted:

Ah. Thanks for the correction. I wish I could read German to find out more about how that happened. Nothing seems to be available in English.

I was weighing two possibilities: One, this was the most detailed model train I had ever seen, and two, a train jumped a buffer with enough speed to travel 170 meters down a road. I just can't get my mind around the second one!

Well, this was from a German web site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

In the video, they talk about a timer circuit. If the train doesn't make it from point A to point B within a minute, the tracks switch to the cutout. Also, the tracks are switched to the cutout by default.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Further YouTubing says they're battery powered, so energized rails isn't an issue.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm growing to like the new cars on the CTA.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

As a passenger, ARR is fantastic. I hope they still have the HO setup at the Fairbanks depot.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Train graffiti owns.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I binge watched this as a child:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqmgdB0UV1Y

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

iirc, 4141 was parked at the library and will get parked again at the library once the funeral train does it's rounds.

So, it won't be used again, but it's not like UP is going to take the thing back and repaint it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJqtxrI-klk

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

And government run implies non-profit because America.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

What's the conversion process like to switch a steam locomotive from coal/wood fired to oil fired?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I ran across that channel too recently, coincidentally (stop following my YouToob history :mad:). I watched a couple videos on UP's gas turbines.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Stairmaster posted:

America Needs More Trains.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Associated Press posted:

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — U.S. train horns can deliver an ear-splitting jolt to drivers sitting in traffic or people drifting off to sleep at home, but on Thursday, they’ll be put to another use.

At 3 p.m. EDT, trains across the U.S. will sound their horns to honor the transportation employees who are considered essential workers during the coronavirus crisis.

Amtrak trains, along with regional partner trains across the U.S., plan to give two blasts of their horns in a toot to transportation workers, as well as health care workers, first-responders, child care workers, grocery store employees and other workers providing essential services during the pandemic.

“Every hero deserves to be recognized and thanked for their courage, selflessness and the help they are providing to this country during this time,” Stephen Gardner, Amtrak’s chief operating and commercial officer, said in a statement.
https://apnews.com/b960dc4766863233f0a0e44e7f5bf6e5

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Very nice. I had an HO setup on a sheet of particle board as a kid. Still have my locos and rolling stock in the closet.

I'd like to do an N scale setup in my basement for when I have the time and money for an Old Man Hobby again.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

I love your avatar.

:3:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Sodor locomotives racist against diesels? Explains a lot, tbh.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

BalloonFish posted:

The first diesel to appear in the books was a BR standard shunter, imaginatively called Diesel. Since shunting was Duck's job he was told to show Diesel around and introduce him to the Sodor trucks and their ways. Duck immediately dislikes Diesel on principle, thrn rapidly gets tired of him always boasting about how much better he is than the steam locos (an irony that Duck doesn't recognise and I doubt was deliberate on Awdry's part...) and fucks off without teaching Diesel anything. Diesel makes an honest but ineffective attempt to shunt the trucks (because Duck didn't help him) and is made a laughing stock. In revenge he starts a chain of rumours and gets all the other engines to turn on Duck before he is found out and sent away in disgrace.

Duck and Diesel both behave like massive assholes but only one of them is a prejudiced rear end in a top hat...but they're not the one made out to be the bad guy.

There's a later story where another diesel loco turns up and is also shunned and bullied by the Sodor locos...until he proves himself. I'm sure they literally call him 'one of the good ones.'

And that's without getting into all the symbolism of how the trucks (which carry the revenue-earning freight but have no agency) all speak in British working class dialects, are always being difficult and need a firm, controlling hand from their betters...and the two which agitate for change in the existing order get literally destroyed - one by being pulled in half and the other deliberately crushed.

The underlying politics of the Railway Series (and the Rev. Awdry) are really lovely once you start looking around/behind the stories.

You can see why he has such a grumpy face:

All he wanted was to be accepted.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Here's a YouTube channel I came across recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCfDQvrBGRw

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Random thought as I walk my dog: F40PHs stink.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Stairmaster posted:

shocked at this threads silence re: the derailment in ohio

Well, it's Ohio.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I keep thinking about doing a N scale layout in my basement.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

kathmandu posted:

Do it! Post about it, too!

Got a particular era, railroad, region in mind?

1980s US since I already have stuff from a kid that fills that era. Plus steam, because yes.

No particular region, but mountains stand to be involved since they’re good breakup scenery between biospheres.

I’m just messing with CAD software on a 4’x8’ layout at the moment, so who knows when I’ll start buying stuff.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

BNSF liveries are mostly uniform around me, but I've seen Norfolk Southern power heading BNSF trains and I'm getting concerned.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Tex Avery posted:

If you're serious, it's actually nothing to be concerned about. Power sharing is a thing that all of these Class 1 railroads do. Sometimes it's cheaper and more efficient to build a train on the BNSF in California and run it all the way to New York without having to stop to change out the locomotives once the train gets to, say, the first CSX railroad yard it passes. Just keep fueling the motors and keep rolling! The railroads all keep track of these power swaps and then bill each other for the time it was on another railroad.

Ah, ok. Because the NS locomotive was the lead, I thought it would be an NS crew.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I think it’s been said before, but US railroads are the epitome of running a lean business.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It’s always irritating seeing people claim this or that is for the poors. There are people around the Chicago metro area that choose to drive into the city because, to them, even Metra is for poor people.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Kingtheninja posted:

Is this the thread to ask about amtrak routes? I'm thinking about taking my dad on a round trip from Chicago to DC next year. I was hoping to take the cardinal one way and the cap limited another, but not sure which direction for which route has the better views if anyone knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvJlXgwizHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gu3p0kR9qQ

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 18, 2023

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Delta-P posted:

The SD70s will only stay on the Milwaukee district due to maximum bridge weight requirements on the other districts, or certain unnamed shops not wanting to bother with new units.

BNSF line is triggered.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

And if you know, please tell us why Metra love F40PHs.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

They started on the Burlington line and the reasoning I read was to allow judging closing rate because of idiots who would run across the tracks.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Sash! posted:

The bell is required by Federal law for any train moving near persons on the road ground in the vicinity. Basically the same thing as the backup beep on a truck.

Is it based on speed? I’ve been on passenger platforms when trains blast by at speed with no audible bell.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Sash! posted:

On the other hand, I've heard Amtrak crews turn on the bell going past a low level platform they're not stopping at. It is easier for someone to foul from a low level platform.

This explains the difference between them and Metra. Thank you.

As far as I'm concerned, CSX are clowns.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Currently riding the City of New Orleans all the way in a roomette. It’s pretty nice.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The only downside is you can’t choose your neighbors and Hell is other people. The roomette across the hall had the biggest loving Karen being obnoxious.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

So, I live by heavy commuter rail. What substance that’s bad for my lungs causes the brakes to stink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I've heard that Andorra is the Alabama of Europe

Given that Bavaria is the Kentucky of Germany, I always figured Austria was Europe’s Alabama.