Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I知 back, and for that I am sorry

How many loving times does that locomotive need to be brought up before you people read the loving thread? Yes, it's loving awesome. We get it. READ THE GODDAMN THREAD. IT'S ONLY TWO PAGES LONG.

Okay, that's done.

Anyone taking a cruise to Alaska needs to ride the White Pass. It's a rule.

They have one of the only functioning steam rotary plows in the world (I believe the only other one is in Switzerland?), and they actually use it! Not only do they use it...wait for it...they push it with steam locomotives! http://www.wpyr.com/rotarysnowplow.html

They run the rotary about every two years, and unfortunately I can't make this run. I will definitely be at the next run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

The first one also didn't have coil springs directly over the axle.

What's the speed/distance rating on that economy spare?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Judging by the snow on the ground I think that might be in the UK.

They have different snow in England?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Copper River and Northwestern Railway, built by the same people as the White Pass, was known as the 'Can't Run and Never Will'.

It actually had a temporary bridge that got washed away with the spring thaw every year and rebuilt. It was even used a couple times for movies as a cheap set, since it didn't cost studios anything other than the cost of travel.

I'm looking for video, but having trouble finding it. I've seen it before, so I know it's out there. I might have to spend some time in the Alaska Archives.

I've also seen UP referred to as "Ultimate Predator" for how many railroads it's eaten.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

So far, I haven't managed to find the video of the trestle washing away. All I've found so far is this picture:

http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/cdmg11&CISOPTR=15267&REC=27

As some added trivia, the Copper River and Northwestern went to the Kennecott Copper Mine, which is where Kennecott Utah Corporation gets its name. The mine in turn, got its name from the Kennicott Glacier. Yes, I spelled them differently. Somebody made a mistake a hundred years ago and their typo lives on.

Edit: Here's what the bridge looked like during the rest of the year: http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/cdmg21&CISOPTR=11468&REC=13

Edit2: Washed out: http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/cdmg2&CISOPTR=294&REC=25
http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/cdmg11&CISOPTR=8118&REC=12

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 17, 2011

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

:science:

Per the GCOR (General Consolidated Operating Rules) rule book, you can make a reverse movement at a maximum authorized speed for a freight train is 20MPH, a passenger train has an authorized maximum speed of 30MPH.

Trust me, riding a car moving backwards at 20MPH feels like a dare devil move.

What kind of car are you thinking of? Everything I've ever been in has felt just fine both ways. Some you really can't even tell which way is forward other than the label.

As for running in reverse, that's what capers are for!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Woohoo, I've convinced the wife to rent a narrow gauge caboose for her birthday! Just the two of us, in the wilderness, with a bunch of narrow gauge Alcos and Shovelnose GEs going by.

Oh, and we'll be taking the steam train up the pass, too. Too bad it isn't scheduled to run past while we have the caboose :(

With any luck this will help convince her to go watch them run the rotary in 2013.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I can't help but wonder if Santa Fe told them to call it all one locomotive instead of four for union reasons. I love how they point out it has a windshield wiper!

The next article could have been written by Glen Beck.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

What's less disturbing than tits?

Oh, right, tits with a horn.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

B4Ctom1 posted:

What is a foamer you ask?

This is a foamer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhYXNwvcl6A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c3NqnEX6vY

Somebody please make a parody on their Christmas layout.

"OH GOD I'VE BEEN WAITING ALL YEAR FOR THIS! I'M FINALLY GOING TO GET A POLAR EXPRESS LOCOMOTIVE ON CAMERA! OH MAN, IT'S COMING BACK AROUND AGAIN! YEEEAAAAHHHHH!'

Bonus points for a crying 3 year old in the background.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Remind me not to leave a ruble on that track.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Wait, NOT a museum? :raise:

Foamers may be going a bit far with that one. Will they only haul freight for companies with olde tyme logos?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Jay Leno doesn't haul freight for hire.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Geoj posted:

Hauling freight on your private train collection would be the equivalent of taking your private rare car collection to the track :colbert:

No, it would be the equivalent of chauffering around some other rich guys in the Deusies. They get the back seat while you're sitting out front in the rain wearing a tuxedo to make it all historically accurate.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Sitting in the station for the White Pass and Yukon Route, we're scheduled on a flagstop train to drop us off at a caboose we've rented for a cabin. I honestly don't know whether I'd be more excited if the locos were Alco units or the rebuilt GE shovelnoses.

Yesterday we took a trip over the pass behind #73, a Mikado built in 1947. Man, can that sucker pull. There's something magical about hearing it slowly lose speed as it climbs the 3.9% grade up the pass. I had bunker fuel all over my face from sticking out the side of the car.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

When we were in Skagway in May we happened to be next to the yards when the Mikado hooked up to the passenger cars for our trip. Every little bump of the throttle sent a short black cloud into the air - and then it rained bunker fuel for a few seconds.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

What the gently caress.

1. How the hell did he get under there unless they were dumb enough to be trying to scoot under the train? If they were just lying in wait for a train to go over, wouldn't the engineer have braked?

2. He should have just stayed where he was, though if the train had a plow on the rear that would have been even worse.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Alaska Railroad completely solved the problem with F40s. They ONLY have a HEP generator, the prime mover is gone. They make a perfectly fine control car that way.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

DL535 or GE shovelnose?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Nam Taf posted:

I struggle to believe that's real. Those things weigh around 150-180 tonnes. You can't just push that like that.

I remember reading a wikipedia article a year or so ago about some older Russian diesel electrics that could be push started. I can't remember which ines for the life of me, though.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Their drive wheels wheelbase is also much longer, meaning they will be working really hard to destroy each and every curve.

Do they have and 'blind' drive wheels?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

It's not like it's a normal railway. It's actually pretty darn similar to the US setup, just on rails instead of tracks.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wonder if train joyriding is really common and nobody reports on it because it generally doesn't end up in photos this good.

I don't know about joyriding, but my best friend and I found an idling MOW train after hours once. We knew how to work the switch for that siding but were't stupid enough to make the thing go. We did blow the horns a few times and crawl all over the locos.

Another time we almost lost control of a flat car we found on the same siding. We could get it moving a whole lot easier than stopping.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 16, 2013

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I'm not saying that people should do it, just that it happens. We were teenagers.

The caboose on that train has been a coffee shop for over 10 years. Iron Horse Espresso.

Edit: http://www.alaskarails.org/pix/caboose/AMHA-1776.html
http://www.alaskarails.org/pix/caboose/RT-1776.html

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 16, 2013

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

madeintaipei posted:

That is the most hosed up snow plow. poo poo, that eclipses the jet-tanks/trucks they've got for airport duty.

Jet-powered snow removal isn't unheard of in the western world.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

wolrah posted:

Grey water (sinks, showers, etc.) dumps directly on the ground, black water (toilets) goes to a tank.

Some cars also have primary and secondary tanks. I was cleaning the weekly passenger train in the Fairbanks shop at midnight once (years ago, when I was in college) when the septic guy came to pump it out. He would go and open the primary tank so that it would drain into the secondary, then hook up to that lower tank and pump everything. Somebody in Anchorage had left the lower valve open and the whole thing drained into the car shop.

bytebark posted:

I can think of one exception to the rule of thumb that friction bearings are gone from railroads - hot bottle tank cars (specialized tanks used to shuttle liquid steel between steelmaking facilities). Supposedly the heat from the molten steel can cause roller bearings to expand (and make the car immovable) in this type of application, hence the use of standard (friction) bearings. Video of this type of car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbzKU3cxWkk

You can see roller bearing trucks under a couple of those hot bottle cars.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

You have to be filthy, stinking, rich. Two out of three won't cut it!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

NoWake posted:

The C&O operated car floats across Lake Michigan, and it's the only way railcars get to Alaska, too. There is no overland link to Canada or the lower 48. I should have some photos from an Alaska Railroad terminal in a month or so, heading up there to guide an installation of some track material we made.

ARR has a twice-weekly barge in the summer; both came in while I was in Whittier last month. I just went looking through my photos and I swear I took pictures of the rail barge but can稚 find them.

Skagway lifts everything off the barge with cranes now.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Hello Rail Friends, here is an article from Canada's globe and mail.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-how-bridging-finance-fooled-bay-street-and-hundreds-of-millions-of/

Now most of this concerns a finance firm that was horseshit and the fact that everybody was shocked! Shocked! That a firm that rich people believed in was a grift. But, midway through, there is a weird twist, basically because the CEO gets taken in by another grifter with really specifically weird railway dreams:

I was wondering why A2A suddenly stopped getting press in Alaska - they池e very well connected here, the vice chair is our former Lt Governor. Our congressional delegation was also promoting the whole thing since Trump gave it a cross-border permit.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm surprised (but maybe I shouldn't be) that these chucklefucks had a presence on the ground. I can only speculate the reason these dudes picked railways to connect a bunch of tiny villages is because they assumed that was the most ecologically friendly option?

At the risk of starting a jihad with the aviation thread, I'd say the cheapest and most environmentally friendly way to link these communities is via air. Especially if you could get airships to do it. Lockmart's new heavy lifter is all developed and ready!

Most of those villages already have airstrips. We have a few flown-in mines already; they usually build an ice road to the nearest river and barge the big stuff in and out come summer.

Alaska has also sent people to trade shows specifically to discuss LockMart痴 vaporware airship. I want to know how they expect that thing to fly in the not-uncommon 100mph winds a lot of that territory is known for.

Also our governor and congressional delegation do not give two shits about the environment in any capacity.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Actual blimps. I paid the invoices for the people going to the trade show. It looked like a grift to me, but politicians gonna politic.

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/content/news/Anchorage-company-brings-helium-filled-airship-to-Alaska-391817821.html

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I bet they derailed on detritus rather than on purpose.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Yes, this is the right thread for this picture:

That痴 an Alaska Marine Lines tug towing the Alaska Railroad barge. IIRC it has 7 tracks for rail cars.

I was on the Alaska ferry LeConte and we passed it in Icy Straight; the weather toward the Gulf of Alaska was bad so I believe they were holding until it improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Looks like the USG Plaster City railroad will be out of commission for a while. This is the last operating industrial narrow gauge in the USA.