Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I wish I could get some type of amateur exposure to stuff like this... I've always loved huge trains, especially the ones used for freight. Unfortunately I don't know of any local real train restoration clubs or museums that I could get involved in, just lots of model train societies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
There really is no reason to be hit by a train other than negligence on the part of the person who got hit. Signals and gates exist because most people are too stupid to look both ways. There is a reason why busses and company vehicles "stop at all rr xings."

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I really like in-depth court quality accident reenactments and analysis - anyone got any more like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0nb1g3xXP4

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Anyone been to the Maine Narrow Gauge Rail Company and Museum in Portland? My wife and I are taking a vacation to Portland this summer to visit a friend and get away and my wife found the museum online and knew I'd dig it. Looking forward to checking out 2' rail and visiting the museum.

http://www.mainenarrowgauge.org/

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
It's pretty incredible how few train accidents we have given the scale of automobile and train use. The way you put that gives great perspective to the situation :).

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

McDeth posted:

Senator Diane Jewstein's husband.

You know somebody has said some egregious poo poo when you go to report a post and SA is like "gently caress dude we know."

Regarding the electromagnetic tube I think that it's a great idea that needs to be tested somewhere that doesn't have the massive bureaucracy of California. Rather than the LA to San Francisco distance and logistical problems they should look into something more economical like between RTP and Charlotte. Lots of tech infrastructure and 21st century money. Being able to live in Charlotte but work in RTP would be incredible and would make the commute like 20 minutes over the default 2.5 hour car ride. This type of technology is brilliant but it has to get its foot in the door without necessarily shooting for the moon on the first try.

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 14, 2013

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

spipedong posted:

Looks like one of my photos is going to be in the 2014 BNSF calendar, although I didn't think it was the best one I submitted. Oh well, I'll take my cash and be on my way!

Foamer status +1000

So uh, which pic?

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

spipedong posted:

Mine is the one with the loaded coal passing the empty inside a canyon on an S curve. Since that pretty much gives away my name/occupation let's keep that info on the DL ;)

I also have a photo of an engineer flipping me the bird... Thanks for that one, smart guy. I wonder what he thought when he went around the corner and saw my company truck there. Who else would be in a private canyon taking photos in the middle of nowhere with full PPE on anyway?

This is the winning photo of the three I sent in (obviously the original is much sharper and doesn't have all the jagged artifacts):

Do you have a tumblr or instagram account? You've got a great eye. PM me if you do (if you want to keep your account discrete).

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Brother Jonathan posted:

Those people crawling through the train remind me of a Great Northern Railroad safety video from the 1940s: Why Risk Your Life? It is horrifying how dangerous the railyards were back then!

But the 19th century railyards were even worse, with such contraptions as the link-and-pin coupler:

It only took six and a half minutes for the video to reference hobos and tramps :smugdog:

I love the 1940's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

So using an Indian accent for the terrorist train and framing this with Islamic spiritual music.. classy.