Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't know much about trains but I bet fans would love Japan. The electric train network is really neat. I really liked getting around on the trains and subway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I never even heard of "Unstoppable" before now. drat.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Geoj posted:

I wonder how many locomotive enthusiasts have spent untold thousands of dollars duplicating this setup for MS Train Simulator...

Too bad they didn't release #2. What about the other train games?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The NTSB report was posted in another thread a while back. The guy was sending text messages to high school kids (kinda creepy) up to a few seconds before they crashed. They also detail how it's extremely unlikely the light could have been green due to the way the electric system is designed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Two Ton 21 posted:

And people wondered what aspies did before the internet.

:spergin:

I remember reading about some guy who knows a lot about the NY subway, sometimes more than the staff and he would pose as one or something. I think he really was autistic or something.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

tehsid posted:

A faulty train that was sitting there for ages (before I started). Some fool put in a window that was 10cm to small on the top, it only got fixed about a week ago... now another one is in its place.

Those look like the BART subway trains in San Francisco, California.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have a strong feeling that is something of Soviet design.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Come on, it's Japan.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bytebark posted:

Mostly unrelated but interesting coal train video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFiV55zohC4&feature=related (good GE diesel sounds in this one too)

Canadian Pacific has these coal sprayers on their system, which are there to apply a coating of some sort of dust-reducing stuff. Makes sure poo poo doesn't go flying everywhere in the wind, apparently.

Pretty good timing. Looks like it gets sprayed twice.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is it normal to record those phone calls?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

B4Ctom1 posted:

I assumed these must have much weaker diesels than the giant freight trains which I watched pass over the massive steel trestle next to John Muir's old historic house in Martinez, California.

Cool, I went to high school in Pleasant Hill (College Park).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I thought we had pictures earlier in this thread of a locomotive that suffered a similar impact?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Yeah, I think that was it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Pretend I don't know anything about electricity... why don't those trains short out?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I watched the video of how to set up a garden railroad and they use 24VDC. I guess it's just the fact it's low current and snow is not a good conductor. I thought snow = water meaning short circuit but I guess not :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

When I have a ton of extra money and a big yard I so want to do this. So...when I'm about 70?

In fact, I still have a lot of n-gauge stuff from when I was a kid. Hmm.

InterceptorV8 posted:

http://youtu.be/6xSzU0oM4mM

Kinda neat! Closed tube station.

I loved abandoned buildings, especially things like subways.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've had train derailment as a status too. I think when I posted here it was said most likely it just means it went down the wrong track or something. Neat how detailed of a message it is compared to a generic "exception" error or whatever.
edit:
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/hundreds-of-complaints-surface-about-ups-mysteriou/nD5Bj/

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 19, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Veins McGee posted:

For companies that love talking about safety so much, this seems kind of dumb.

Mission statements and reality are not always the same thing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BrokenKnucklez posted:

trip rates will give you the incentive to get over the road quicker. If you don't go on over time after 12 hours for a 197 mile run, then there is no incentive to get out of the yard.

You are very very very green. Don't ask why things are done, people have done that in the past, and as you can tell, has gotten no where. Concern yourself with your work at this point in time. Learn how to do your job well, and learn how to observe.

I am not trying to be a dick. This job is much like the military, do as your told and don't ask questions.

This is literally the kind of work environment that crushes creativity and innovation. Not saying someone here should try to stick their head out, as the change has to start at the top, which is hard too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
This happens a lot with people on cell phones / with headphones.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's not possible to tell by the video, as the comments point out.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The cab cameras I can understand, but CN putting a camera in a locker room? What the heck were they thinking?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The "CSX track" is in California, there are Eucalyptus trees in the photos in the link in the video description. I suppose it could actually be Australia, but I don't think so. :)

In the PDF, there are some photos that say "mark every 9'6"." What is the circumference of a train wheel? Maybe the wheel was rotating but was damaged.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Glad it was 2:30am. I imagine it would be more than 7 injured otherwise.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised that doesn't short out or something.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think I remember that used to sometimes happen on the DC Metro when I rode it, but that would be > 15 years ago.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Das Volk posted:

You mean how the whole country has the post-apocalyptic, bleak, lonely, decayed feel of Half-Life 2? Which, by the way, was basically a video game set in post-Soviet Russia.

Actually, the art director was Bulgarian so much of it is modeled after buildings and locations like Sofia. I think one of the Episode 1 or 2 settings was modeled on a Russian building though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are there any simulators / addons that model Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner line?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's cool. I would say Santa Barbara is my favorite place in the world, pretty much. I need to move back there someday.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bytebark posted:

In defense of IRM's mostly electric operations, it costs the museum a helluva lot less to give people real train rides using an assortment of old "L" cars / interurbans / streetcars than using diesels every day of the week (let alone steam).

For some reason lots of filmmakers decided they wanted to film out at IRM this year. A new show on ABC called "Betrayal" shot a short segment there in May or so (a drama about people cheating on each other apparently - the trailer is on youtube, and you can see the scene shot at the museum). Then a chase scene for the next Transformers movie was shot there maybe a month ago, and the stuff being shot out there this week is a commuter train wreck for the "Chicago Fire" show.

I can't believe they're making another loving Transformers movie.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

stealie72 posted:

I've wondered about that, but would continent-spanning electric rails have their own massive set of downsides that keep them from being practical/safe? It would be awesome if everything could run off a third rail or a transit-type overhead wire.

Japan is all overhead wire including freight and was nuclear powered.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's true that Japan is smaller and has more dense cities, but they have plenty of rural areas too, but honestly I don't know how many of those areas are electrified when you get to smaller routes. Along the main corridors though it all is. I was just answering what was closest to the hypothetical of what was asked. I thought it was cool to see electric freight trains :). Europeans may have that too but I dunno.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've spent a fair amount of time in Europe, mostly in your neighbor the Czech Republic, but wasn't really paying attention to that :P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yowsers. That's pretty freaky.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well, the union said he "nodded." Not quite sure what that means.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Is that on the same track as the Amtrak Empire Builder (Chicago to Seattle)?
They were already complaining the rails are completely congested due to the oil boom in ND.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Here are some train pictures for you guys. Taken in Seattle, here-ish
http://goo.gl/maps/8OijI

I determined this car had Toyota Siennas inside.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How is he taking a picture from the rail without getting squished? Or is the train not actually moving?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That looks like it may take a while to fix!
Edit: I don't understand. Why was an engineering team pouring concrete there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's really good. I didn't expect it to clean up so easily.