Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

Another one of my favorite diesels, the Santa Fe Super Chief. No real reason for liking it. It's just cool. It's also kinda fun to image what taking a ride on one of these trains would be like. Ah for the days of the classy train ride :allears:

At the risk of being a spergoid, that locomotive is an EMD F7. The Super Chief is the name of the entire passenger train consist, cars and all, that locomotive and probably three others pulled from Chicago to Los Angeles.

To contribute: the EMD SD45. I just love the way it looks, what with the flared radiators in back. That and knowing that it's got a 20-cylinder engine (most diesel locomotives have only 16).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kathmandu fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

InterceptorV8 posted:

OK so who makes great N scale models? I might have some of my old HO poo poo in storage but I figure I need a new hobby that doesn't have me jerking off onto passing cars.

Kato, Atlas, Micro-Trains, Intermountain, Proto, Athearn, Fox Valley Models.

e: also, I strongly recommend Peco track and switches

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

bytebark posted:

Here's what an ALCO RSD-15 "Alligator" (actually the same one pictured on the top of the wiki page) looks/sounds like while being fired up after hibernating for 20+ years. Lots of "Alco smoke" and audio diesel bliss.

...was there supposed to be a youtube link here or something?

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Youtube model train videos are almost always embarrassing and dorky and set to bad music. Not this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC0r_AXOss4

1. Holy poo poo, the sound. I am in love with the first 30 seconds or so of that video.
2. Look at the job this guy did of modeling the Tropicana Juice Train.
3. Yes, he's modeling the New York Central as if it never went away.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Japanese youtube ad while browsing cat videos. I watched the whole thing. No clue what's going on, but it's a well-designed piece of media.

http://youtu.be/oCsMNgzT8lA

I'd love to see more of that steam locomotive running in the snow at :44

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

I found this part interesting:

Axeman Jim posted:

Most notably, this plan called for the elimination of all steam locomotives from the network within 10 years....based on bug-gently caress lunacy.... Railways all over the world, be they private or state-owned, were replacing steam traction with diesel and electric, but none were doing it with the crazed missionary zeal of British Rail.

US railroads started replacing stream locomotives pretty aggressively in 1945, and by 1955 it was just a few hold-outs that still rostered them in significant numbers (mostly coal-haulers like Norfolk Western for obvious reasons). I'm surprised that replacing steam with diesels over a ten-year period starting in 1955 was viewed as too early or crazy in other countries when the US had pretty much already pulled it off with great success. So why was that such a challenge for the rest of the world? Yet another symptom of the US being fortunate not to get bombed to poo poo in WW2?

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Syrian Lannister posted:

There's a kid on YouTube that makes videos on weathering and graffitiing rolling stock and locos.

Primarily US / Canadian but its otherwise good info

DansRailroad2011

Somewhat relevant, here's a British model railroad YouTuber I like - guy does a really good job making watchable, instructional videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZPHBFMDJu4

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

I don't know if there a model railroading thread that'd be better suited to this, but I just a model I've been hunting g for for a while, and I must post.

I've been really fascinated by geared steam engines lately, especially since playing Railroads online. I just there'd something very cool about the look of them, they way they work, all the moving parts, etc...

The Climax engines are especially cool to me, and I've been looking for this model for a while.

I've been trying to back into modeling, and especially here in the PNW, I though it'd fun to try and do a narrow gauge logging style railroad.

That’s a nice looking locomotive. I’m not aware of a better model railroading thread, so please, post away. Are you thinking to build indoors or outdoors?

I’m lucky enough to have a huge basement under a sprawling ranch house, and my wife has graciously ceded about 1200 SQFT (110 m2) for me to build a model railroad. I’m doing the Chicago and Northwestern in HO, from Chicago to Geneva. So far all I’ve got done is the lower-level staging yard. Hell, maybe I’ll post pics of my progress if people want.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Full Collapse posted:

I keep thinking about doing a N scale layout in my basement.

Do it! Post about it, too!

Got a particular era, railroad, region in mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Can’t believe this is how I heard about the CP-KCS merger going through :stare: