Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Nerobro posted:

I worked with one of the board members at IRM for a year. And I never got out to the museum. I suppose I should make time and get a close look at some stuff.

I'm a regular volunteer at IRM (the Illinois Railway Museum, the largest museum of its kind in the Americas) and I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about. Was he big into diesels?

to contribute, some awesome locomotives we have around the museum:

Union Pacific 18, a gas-turbine-electric locomotive manufactured by General Electric in 1961. This was capable of producing 8,500 horsepower. Union Pacific rostered a fleet of turbine locomotives in the mid-20th century for hauling rear end throughout the American west, and were generally regarded as decent engines whose astronomical fuel consumption did them in by 1970. Our turbine is one of only two left, and is missing some internal parts but otherwise complete. It will probably never run again, not only because of the fuel costs involved, but also because the exhaust heat would destroy our overhead trolley wire.

Chicago South Shore & South Bend 803, a gargantuan electric freight locomotive which spent the majority of its service life shuffling cars around in northwestern Indiana (some video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hd4qqWZM4s). This type of locomotive is typically known as a "Little Joe," after Joe Stalin Built following WWII for service on a Soviet railroad, they were never shipped when cold war tensions began to arise, and instead a few railroads in the US and Brazil bought them instead. #803 isn't quite operational right now (needs air compressor work), but has run at the museum in the past.

Illinois Central 201 is the oldest steam locomotive in the museum collection. It was built in 1880 for hauling commuter trains on what's now known as the Metra Electric on the south side of Chicago. What is really special about this locomotive, though, is that it is the only locomotive left anywhere which was driven by the mythical Casey Jones. Jones was brought to Chicago (along with a lot of other engineers) to help handle the crowds during the 1893 World's Fair; he and this locomotive almost certainly crossed paths at some point.

Chicago Burlington & Quincy 9911A is the sole survivor of the E5-type locomotive fleet once rostered by that railroad, usually used on their trademark "Zephyr" passenger trains, which ran until the late 1960s. Its stainless steel cladding makes it unmistakable, and it looks drat slick pulling the museum's Nebraska Zephyr trainset. Also, its dual EMD 567-12s make glorious music (in-cab video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3zhPkIHbqc).

Bonus: Crappy camera phone picture from inside our GG1:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Requesting more GG1 Pics please. I love those big bastards.

I'll try and remember my DSLR this Saturday when I go out to the museum and get some more photos of ours (#4927), inside and out.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Here's what's usually pushing or pulling the train I take to work: An EMD F40PH

This boxy engine was produced from 1976 and 1992, and was at that time the standard passenger locomotive throughout North America. Although Amtrak has since retired its fleet, VIA Rail Canada still has theirs, and Chicago's Metra (commuter railroad) still rosters 116 of them, the largest fleet of this loco type to be found anywhere. This locomotive's bulletproof reliability is sometimes credited as a factor in keeping Amtrak alive in the late 1970s and 80s, when it seemingly had nothing else going for it.

But what's really unique about this locomotive?

Watch this video clip, or more accurately, listen to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yz3vEvW3sk&feature=fvsr

The accelerating locomotive doesn't rev up when getting up to speed. This is because the prime mover is already running at full blast - 900 RPMs. It does this to keep the main generator spinning at all times, which is not only what powers the traction motors, but also where the train's lights and HVAC get their juice - so it can't stop moving. During a given rush "hour," said locomotives will be running at 900 RPMs for maybe 3 hours straight. And back when Amtrak still hauled long distance trains across the US using F40s, their prime movers could have been running at full blast for 2-3 days nonstop. That's loving solid engineering.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Nerobro posted:

I just ride as a passenger. I'm yet to be on a train that has hit someone. But I've had my day ruined no less than eight times by people being stupid.

... Honestly, if you're going to commit suicide by train, I think your remaining family members should be killed too. Your singular actions send at least one person into psychiatric treatment (engineers on the BNSF get something like a mandatory week off after that..) and you screw with 10-15,000 peoples commutes. You suck, you're already dead. Your family deserves to pay.

I feel better now.

(Not that the family really deserves to pay, but i'm at a loss for who to punish when the offender is dead)

I believe that's actually how it's done in Japan, on their high-speed lines. If you decide to off yourself by jumping in front of a bullet train (which typically run on-time, to the second), your family has to pick up the tab on the cost of delays incurred by your suicide.

The various lines on the Japanese high-speed system have different fines for delays though, so all this means is that the suicides mostly occur on the line with the lowest fine.

Also, I was on a train that hit a vehicle once. It was on Amtrak's Empire Builder about a year and a half ago, moving westbound through the great plains in eastern Montana. I'm sitting in the dining car, eating steak with a couple other rail-enthusiast buddies, and all of a sudden the train's emergency brakes go on.* As the train slows to a halt, we pass a set of headlights (this was night) which are precariously close to the tracks. So at that point we knew we hit a car.

Coincidentally we were just about finished with dinner, and after getting back to our seats in the coach one car back from the diner, realized that the offending vehicle was right outside our car and easily in view. The train had rear-ended a Dustbuster-shaped van at something in the neighborhood of 60 mph. I say rear ended because this particular van was being driven by an intoxicated individual who took it upon himself to drive on the track itself, in the same direction the train was moving. The engineer probably saw the tail lights a half mile away (this happened on a very broad curve) with no trees or other obstructions along the right-of-way and put the train into emergency well before the collision actually happened. To the van's credit, the headlights remained on even after the collision occurred.

Immediately after the collision, the conductor put an announcement over the PA, asking for anyone on-board with medical training to please come to the lower level of the car next to the wreck (the car with our seats). Soon after, all sorts of EMS vehicles started pulling up, in the end probably totalling around 40. Guess people getting hit by trains doesn't happen around there very much. The guy in the car survived, with injuries not life threatening. Our train got moving again after about an hour and a half (unfortunately, it had been on-time before it hit the car), with a fresh engineer brought in. We figured out that the driver was drunk and driving on the tracks because one of the guys in our group works for Amtrak, and was able to pull up a preliminary accident report when we got to our destination.

* You can tell the emergency brake has been activated on a train with Westinghouse air brakes if you hear a sudden "pssssssshhhhhhhhhh" of air, followed by a fairly quick deceleration. Last fall, the train home from work was always going into emergency pulling into my stop, because there were wet leaves all over the rails. The engineer would have to "dump the air" while pulling in if the wheels started losing traction (in order to not overshoot the platform).

bytebark fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 9, 2011

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Requesting more GG1 Pics please. I love those big bastards.

I spent a little while today inside this big SOB. The locomotive does not run (nor does any GG1) due to PCB-laden transformers which were removed following the locomotive's retirement from Amtrak around 1981. It's currently on display in a barn, and was re-painted into Pennsylvania Railroad colors around 1999. The interior is largely as it was when it was retired.

Direct link to the flickr album.

Some photos from the album:

Cab view. (click the photo for its flickr page, to see notes on the controls/gauges)

Ammeters, as seen in the cab.

The 22-notch controller.

View of the cab with a fisheye lens.

Fireman's side of the cab (another fisheye lens shot)

Fisheye "panoramic" shot of the inside of one of the noses.

One of the locomotive's noses.

One thing I can say about GG1s: If you were fat, you probably didn't like them. The corridors and passageways within ours are pretty cramped. Not that this detracts from their coolness in any way. Also, here's a documentary (from 1983) on youtube about one of the final GG1s in service:

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC6W0XEqOLw
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtcjqoGnpm0&feature=related
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSTNZDfqmbU&feature=related
Part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyb86R8rRyY&feature=related

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
600v DC + ice + train = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3rKLT-CnHg

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Other railroad acronyms:

UP = Uncle Pete
BNSF = Better Not Start a Family
NS = Nazi Southern (reference to management...)
CSX = Chemical Spill Express
C&NW = Cheap and Nothing Wasted

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Here's what an ALCO RSD-15 "Alligator" (actually the same one pictured on the top of the wiki page) looks/sounds like while being fired up after hibernating for 20+ years. Lots of "Alco smoke" and audio diesel bliss.

Edit:

kathmandu posted:

...was there supposed to be a youtube link here or something?

:downs: Oh, right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_YbT2nLQcQ

bytebark fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 12, 2011

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Nerobro posted:

I know the guy (well one of the guys) who restored that. I remember listening to him talk about parts, and figuring out what was wrong with it.

I helped out a little bit on this locomotive early this year, mostly freeing up the fuel injectors. Took a lot of Kroil and hammering on them (with a piece of wood in between). The cylinders were apparently seized as well when the museum got it (leave an unused locomotive outside for six months or so, without an upside down bucket over the smokestack, and water will get in and make poo poo rust) but they were able to free it up in January using a 50/50 mixture of acetone and automatic transmission fluid.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Nerobro posted:

the next question is, do I know you? I know you know Jamie.

I have realy meant to come out there on a work day.

I know Jamie from the museum - usually I'm working on the electric rolling stock but diesels are A-OK too and I spent some time earlier this year in the diesel shop.

Speaking of diesels, IRM is having its usual Diesel Weekend this Saturday & Sunday. Anyone around northern IL/southern WI interested in this type of thing should come out; there will be at least 15 different diesels operating in a "parade" past the museum's main depot (with lots of intentional smoke, depending on the engineer and if it's an ALCO or not).

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

InterceptorV8 posted:

Why a single freight engine was moving the whole Amtrak train, I dunno, but it was lead engine. I guess that's a railroader's roadside service?

Passenger cars weigh considerably less than freight ... a fully-loaded freight car can weigh either 263,000 or 286,000 lbs (depending on when it was built) whereas an Amtrak Superliner only weighs about 150,000 lbs. And there's only going to be ten or so of them on a given train.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
I work in freight car leasing. Reason the plastic knuckle pins came about in the first place is that the metal ones were falling out of the couplers on rotary-dump coal gondola, into the coal chute (while the car was being tipped) and would gently caress up the coal pulverizing mechanism that they use to break it up into smaller chunks.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Mostly unrelated but interesting coal train video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFiV55zohC4&feature=related (good GE diesel sounds in this one too)

Canadian Pacific has these coal sprayers on their system, which are there to apply a coating of some sort of dust-reducing stuff. Makes sure poo poo doesn't go flying everywhere in the wind, apparently.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
What did I do the other day? Oh, nothing spectacular; just rode out a derailment, that's all.

Chicago Tribune posted:

An elevated CTA train that had been chartered by railroad enthusiasts as a fund-raising effort for a railroad museum derailed today in the South Loop and resulted in 40 people having to walk to the nearest train station, officials said.

The train was chartered by the Illinois Railway Museum as a fundraiser for the McHenry County institution which was hoping to purchase a similar older train car, according to members.

CTA officials said the passengers were walked from the train by Chicago Fire Department personnel along the elevated tracks to the station at 22 East Roosevelt Rd., said Steve Mayberry, a CTA spokesman. The derailment occurred on the elevated tracks at about 11:22 a.m., officials said.

Basically what happened is while moving into a non-revenue siding, the lead truck on the fourth (last) car split a switch. Low speed, no injuries.

Of course, being a train full of rail enthusiasts, the derailment and its subsequent evacuation caused nothing but a good time to be had by all:

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

B4Ctom1 posted:

This is the peak of insanity. The government is raiding my expensive retirement for itself.

I get railroad retirement where I currently work. When interviewing for the job, it was one of the reasons I said I wanted to work there. The guy interviewing me just said "yeah, we'll see how long that lasts."

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
I helped change out a traction motor last night. It was a royal pain in the rear end and I hope I never have to do it again. Also I got home at 2:00 am and slept till 2:00 pm.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
I don't know why, but I've always thought this guy makes the best (funniest) foamer videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rXyw4Zm1ew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3daZdyoX3tQ&feature=relmfu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxqjQk6T-IE&feature=relmfu

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Telven posted:

I seem to remember there was a documentary on you tube about the steam trains in africa running in the early 2000s, and how difficult it is to fix them because they can't find spare parts.

Pretty much all steam locomotives are like that. Modern rolling stock is incredibly modular in comparison. The railway museum I'm involved with is gradually restoring a small Union Pacific steam locomotive (to operation), and it's been a really slow process. At one point I asked one of the guys working on it what was the most time-consuming part of it, and his answer was "Well we're working on putting it back together, but it doesn't want to be put back together."

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Giblet Plus! posted:

the only real choices the railways have are small things like trucks (radial or standard), gear ratio, handrails, deck plates, and cab appurtenances.

I've been told by a BNSF engineer that every time one of his district's crews work in an NS locomotive, the company owes each member of the crew ~$75. NS units are apparently pretty barebones in comparison to what BNSF is running, to the extent that they are not compliant with the union's agreement with the company. So if BNSF provides a non-compliant (i.e., NS) locomotive they are required to pay a fine to each crew member.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Let me guess, IRM?

Yes. Speaking of IRM, our Nebraska Zephyr trainset will be making a couple of round trips in late September on the BNSF between Chicago and Quincy, IL. Tickets are hella expensive but it should be pretty neat to see even from the ground, if there are any northern IL goons interested in this sort of thing.

I've also heard that this train will be basically impossible to chase with an automobile, because BNSF and Amtrak have authorized it to travel at the maximum passenger train speed of 79 mph. :dance:

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Boomer The Cannon posted:

That's awesome. I went to IRM 10 years ago, you guys have a neat collection and take care of most of it pretty well.

Thanks. I usually go out there and work on stuff once a week, mostly on Chicago "L" cars. Maybe I'll make a thread someday about the project I've been plugging away at for the past year or so.

Also hoping to help out on that Zephyr trip to Quincy. Won't quite be Top Gear's "Race to the North" but still pretty cool nonetheless.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
I would guess next year. The steam shop has spent a lot of time as of late getting the boiler just right (per FRA specifications), and then I believe the driving wheels (now sitting on pallets in front of the shop, equipped with new tires) need to go back on. The shay isn't too far from running either, but its relatively low speed keeps it from being top priority. It it being worked on though, as is the 428, of which I believe the boiler work is complete, and now the running gear is the focus. When it was in service, it was the last UP steam engine in branchline service, and they really half-assed a lot of repairs on it to keep it running. A lot of the work being done is fixing what should have been fixed properly in the late 50s.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
I'm going out there today, so I'll ask. I don't believe the 6323 has been a parts donor at all, though. (They'd better not be stealing parts from that engine, I grew up next to the GTW, dammit! :argh:) I know at times the Milwaukee 265 has lent parts to the 261, and the rods were borrowed (since returned) off the LS&I 35 for one of its sister engines operating somewhere else.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

The Locator posted:

So it's pretty common when seeing videos of the old steam engines like that, to see a modern diesel electric locomotive right behind it. Why do they do that? Are there some sections where they don't allow the steam locomotive to run?

a), if the steamer breaks down and can no longer pull, the diesel is there to get the train where it needs to be
b), most steam engines equipped for "mainline" use in the US these days have a separate diesel locomotive throttle in the cab, for controlling the diesel(s) behind the steamer. If the train is ascending a large hill, the steam locomotive's engineer can use this throttle to have the diesels provide some extra horsepower.
c), if you see a steam locomotive pulling a train and the diesel behind it is an Amtrak engine, that diesel can not only do both of the above, but is probably also providing electricity (for lights, HVAC) to the passenger coaches.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
The first "train sim" game was called TrainMaster, which for most of its existence was mostly just a train physics simulator. It included a decent-looking (for the era - early 1990s) control stand for the user to use, but the GUI showing the train was a primitive side-scrolling view of the train rolling through the landscape on par with MS paint. The final versions of TrainMaster (published around 2000 or so) did finally come with a decent out-the-cab view in the GUI, but didn't have all the external camera angles to view the train with, and you couldn't switch tracks/uncouple cars like you could in the original Microsoft train simulator. TrainMaster did have good sound though - good, bass-ey recordings of an EMD 645 prime mover.

One thing TrainMaster didn't do was show you your train wrecking when it left the rails. In fact, the whole simulation was only based on the physics of a dead load equivalent to the weight of a train, and there was no slack action to deal with. If you did "wreck," I think the screen faded to black, and then you'd see an animation of your "engineer's license" being torn in half.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Scenario 1: Conventional train, engines on the front and cars on the rear. When there is a brake pipe reduction, the first car closest to the engine sets first, then the next car, then so on. Yes its very quick, but it does happen like that.

On the side of Amtrak Superliner coaches, there are yellow lights which illuminate once the automatic brake is applied. I don't know what the threshold is on how much pressure triggers it, but if you stand and watch a Superliner consist pull into a station from a good speed to a dead stop, you'll see these lights come on, first on the cars up front by the engine, and then back to the end of the train. Of course since it's a passenger train and short, it doesn't take longer than 3-4 seconds for all the lights to light up so you really have to watch for it, but you do see it.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
I know goons like mechanical noises, so here's an hour of EMD E-unit engine room sounds (2 x 12-567A prime movers) I recorded earlier today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N76JsEmNnjk

The train is heading from Chicago to Quincy, IL on a pair of special excursions on Saturday and Sunday. So I may try to get more recordings at 79 mph. :rock:

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

So that's why there's no light rail service out there. I worked at DIA for a few years back in like '04-'06 and it always blew my mind that there was this nice new light rail system but if you wanted to get to the airport gently caress you get a car.

It's surprising how many big cities don't have rail transit access to their airports. I don't even think NYC has direct rail access to either airport. You have to get on a bus and then transfer to a subway at a later stop.

Fortunately I live in Chicago, where the Blue line has terminated at O'Hare since 1984 and the Orange line at Midway since 1993. :smug: Speaking of which, the Orange line is fast as hell and my favorite CTA line.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Modern electric MUs have two circuits - High voltage (600v, or whatever the wire/third rail is powered at), and low voltage. The low voltage circuit is fed through an inverter (or sometimes a motor-generator) coming off the high voltage circuit and varies depending on the car's design. In the cars I work on, it's usually between 32v and 40vDC. What the low-voltage inverter (or M-G) does is feed a bank of batteries under the car, which themselves supply the power for non-propulsion systems within the car.

The purpose of having the low-V circuit tied in with batteries is to give the operator control when the high-V has no electricity in it, for a short while after the feed from the high-V circuit stops. This is accomplished by powering the propulsion control system with low voltage, but the actual motors run off of whatever voltage the wire is. Basically everything in the control stand on an EMU is low-voltage (which is the best way to do it anyway, because in the old days, with hi-V control stands, operators would periodically get "bit" by line voltage, via frayed wiring).

bytebark fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 3, 2012

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
F40PH + F45 = F40C

Metra F40C

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Zeether posted:

Doesn't Tri-Rail operate F40Cs too? I remember riding it when they still had their green and white liveries instead of that Palm Beach photo wrap thing they have going now. It looks like the SunRail service for the farther north areas of Florida is using the same push-pull system too.

Tri-Rail has some funny F40PH copy (built by Morrison-Knudsen), which appears to be comprised of F45 parts grafted onto a GP40 frame. So it shares the same cab as an F40C, but isn't a six-axle locomotive.

Until they were mothballed a couple weeks ago, Metra's last two F40Cs were the only six-axle passenger units still in regular service in the lower 48.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

ijustam posted:

I start railway museum volunteer orientation on Saturday :toot:

Neat. Which museum?

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Lots of times railroads will tell you to bring certain things to interviews. They'll phrase it like this: "Please bring the following things with you to your interview: A scientific calculator, three sheets of college-ruled notebook paper, and two sharpened #2 pencils." Do not disregard these instructions, and bring whatever they ask you to bring exactly as the instructions specify. The first thing they'll ask you is if you have these things, and if you don't, the interview won't happen and they'll throw out your application. The requirement for you to bring those things to the interview is a test of your ability to follow instructions.

Also I worked in freight car mechanical for almost three years and was thoroughly miserable for most of it, although I was with leasing firms and not a class 1, so your experience may be different than mine (hopefully better). Because you're interviewing for a management trainee position, I'm assuming you have a college degree; as a result, expect a lot of the old heads you'll be working with to not trust you because you're a "college boy" and didn't work your way up from being a carman right out of high school. Eventually you'll earn "street cred" with some of these guys, but others you won't. Railroads are full of stubborn individuals and it's something you'll just have to deal with.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This would most likely be true. Leasing companies are hell, I worked with a guy who got a job here after leaving a leasing company. He said its way better in all aspects.

Leasing companies are filled with guys who've put in their time on a class 1, got vested in RRB retirement and got lured away from the railroad on the promise of a good 401K and no traveling.

Lots of leasing companies stay in business in spite of themselves, but the formula for starting one up is pretty standard; get together some Wall Street "venture capitalists" to fund it and sit at the top, buy some old-rear end cars no one else wants, recruit ex-railroad guys to serve as your middle management, and outsource any actual work (billing, customer service, fleet management) to other companies. Congratulations, you're now in the freight car leasing business. Now you just have to find some schmuck dumb enough to lease your ratty, 30+ year old cars (which you can do by lowballing the rate), and once that happens you have a "sustainable business model" and hopefully soon you'll get bought out by another leasing company. Profit!

bytebark fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 16, 2012

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Zeether posted:

Someone posted that in the GIFs thread in PYF and there was a goon who was able to identify what line that was in Japan. Apparently that happens a LOT there, and it's pretty crazy. Almost looks like they're racing each other :haw:

If you charter your own train, you can in fact hold a real race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDhosPAKEHI&feature=relmfu

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

A fitting end to Clark Griswald's Family Truckster.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
A buddy of mine works in the NYC Subway, and is expecting something like 23 hours of overtime due to the storm. They finally shut off the traction (third rail) power last night, because according to him, "Cables [were] blowing up and catching fire all over." Electric trains are awesome.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

BrokenKnucklez posted:

23 hours? That sounds kinda small... of course I come from a freight railroad where 23 hours a week is the norm.

His facebook feed says he's just been granted 8 hours of paid rest, then back to work. With the state things are in out east, I wonder if that means he can get home and get some proper sleep, or if the roads are still totally hosed, find a high and dry spot somewhere on NYCTA property and have a really long nap.

Brother Jonathan posted:

By the way, I was just reading a history of EMD locomotive design, and it said that with the EMC E-1 in 1937, they added a long nose to the EMC No. 511 to deliberately obscure the view of the track immediately in front of the engine. The book says that drivers were missing signals because in the cab-forward design, the drivers eyes are drawn to the moving cross ties and rails, making them "zone out" and miss important details to the sides. The nose forces the drivers to look to the sides, and it also provides a crumple-zone in case of a collision.

Does this explanation make sense to the drivers in this thread?

I think the second reason holds more water. Box-cab locomotives were considered deathtraps for crew members in the event of a collision, and then later on the Pioneer Zephyr (google it) - a streamlined train with the cab low to the ground - hit another train and it completely destroyed the cab. Railroads started wanting some buffer space in case in locomotives in case a collision occurred.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Brother Jonathan posted:

This is just being reported: 4 Dead as Train Hits Vets' Parade.

In Midland, Texas, a parade float carrying veterans, some disabled and in wheelchairs, was hit by a Union Pacific freight train at a grade crossing. One person is quoted as saying that "sirens from the police cars in the parade may have drowned out the sound of the approaching train."

There is a disagreement over whether the crossing signal was working, but in footage from a local television station, one can see at 48 sec. into the video the crossing where the accident happened, and the lights are flashing with the arm down. "Witnesses said the gate did not go down before the floats got to the tracks, KMID reported." So they went down after?

I am eagerly awaiting the investigation from the NTSB. This makes no sense.

The town I used to live in was completely bisected by railroad tracks (the GTW). The 4th of July parade viewing booth was right near one of the railroad crossings, so of course one year a train went through halfway through the parade and stopped things up for a few minutes. I'm sure the the parade organizers were unhappy at that, but hey, at least nothing got hit!

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Want to run a train down the steepest mainline rail grade in North America? Well, here's a video which will tell you how to do just that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IABM8UPplY&feature=share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Most of the traffic over Saluda was coal, and NS has never ruled out trains returning if demand warrants it. Rumors persist about them reactivating the line too. Who knows, maybe one of these days it'll happen.