Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FISHMANPET posted:

Well their goal is looking in the passenger space, not freight.
I think the point was that claims of steam increasing speeds are silly when the main limiting factors on passenger rail speed in the US have nothing to do with what fuel makes the locomotive go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Stairmaster posted:

Do any model railroaders gently caress with making setups based off the soviet railways? or do the model companies not produce much in the way of stock for that?
I assure you, if there is a thing that exists in a real (or fictional) railroad somewhere, it exists in a model railroad somewhere as well. The hardcore people live for the idea of having the most accurate model of $thing.

As for commercial offerings, from a little bit of googling this thread seems to have a number of links you might find interesting: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129601-ho-scale-russian-model-railways/

Unsurprisingly it seems like this sort of thing is easiest to find through sellers in certain parts of Europe.

ProperGanderPusher, depending on what you're interested in about model railroading there may be a few other relevant threads. If you want to build a large setup the "don't burn your house down" wiring thread could become relevant, and it you like the idea of automating some things the arduino thread could also be in play.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
For anyone around Northeast Ohio, the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad is doing Steam in the Valley again this month.
https://twitter.com/CVSRR/status/1432729603530010624
I live right next to the tracks, so it'll be interesting to see how different it sounds/feels when that goes by.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Following up on my own question:

wolrah posted:

I live right next to the tracks, so it'll be interesting to see how different it sounds/feels when that goes by.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zySIRpN99w
Neither my girlfriend nor my housemate are train people or even gearheads but they both found it really cool to see up close, and then feel from in the house later that afternoon because we forgot it was coming until it was on top of us. Everything shakes so much more than the even a fast and heavy pass with the diesels.

Also we caught it on their first night run while out biking (thus my heavy breathing at the beginning). My phone doesn't do well with the dark but we were at a park trail crossing so they blew the whistle which was of course cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auPpYkXT02U

They're going to have it out again this weekend so I'm hoping to catch a few more passes at some other locations.

Would it be going too far to set my GoPro between the rails? There's a crossing right down the street from me that would be perfect to do it at with a great view and a good whistle blow, but I don't know if that's one of those things that's frowned upon. It'd be well below the level of the road surface at the crossing so there's absolutely no chance of contact, but I'm sure the railroad's official position would be no placing any foreign objects within their right of way so I'm wondering what you guys think.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 15, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you want to see what it looks like to get run over by a steam train, here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwyg51gyLhY

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GotLag posted:

Being greedy and soulless to the extent that it costs you money is stupid in my books, and it's not a rare occurrence
The whole point is that it saves money most of the time, as long as those savings outweigh the cost of the occasional disaster it's a win for the company.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Obviously not the same as a line that serves primarily as transportation, but the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad does this. There are just three stations that trains regularly stop at, but there are another half dozen "Explorer Stations" where people can flag down the train as it approaches and get a ride to any of the further stops along the line. They'll even let you bring bikes or kayaks aboard if you've been out enjoying the parks in the area. It was really convenient when I used to live near the railroad, I could go out biking and just go as far north as I felt like going before riding the train back to the southern station, then the route home from there was downhill enough to require almost no pedaling.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Figured this could use a share here:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Full Collapse posted:

It’s always irritating seeing people claim this or that is for the poors. There are people around the Chicago metro area that choose to drive into the city because, to them, even Metra is for poor people.
It's almost like there has been a decades-long campaign by groups politically opposed to useful transit to get people thinking exactly that so they're less likely to use it and understand the benefits, or even want it near them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
For the last few days a chunk of railfan Youtube has been talking about the famous "Hobo Shoestring" having gone missing. Unfortunately it seems his body was found a few hours ago in a lake near where he lived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzIwfzUdl44

I liked putting his videos on in the background, just calm and friendly. RIP.