Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

D C posted:

I bought a pair of Bauer One75s and I quite like them, having had the same pair since I was like 14.

Thanks, I was looking at these. I was worried that the 3rd strap looked a little small/thin and that it would give out or not be secured enough, but you play as much or more than I do so I'll give em a try.

Scud, thanks for the offer, I need to try them on and see if I am a small or a medium. Something tells me you're probably a M or L so I don't want to waste shipping and time if my dainty arms require a small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I use the RBK Edge socks on both my teams, but usually use knit socks for stick time and whatnot. I don't really have a preference, but the Edge socks only have a velcro tab in the front, so I don't have to mess with the the velcro strip on the back of my jock, just the front.

As for elbows, I use RBK 11K. I've used Bauer One15s, and Vapor X:40s and hated the strapping system on both. They were all elastic and they'd stretch out like crazy and constantly slide down my arm. The 11Ks have one elastic strap up top for the bicep, and the bottom 2 are nylon so they don't stretch. It's the first pair I've used that don't slip on me. But yeah, it looks like I have gigantic bubble elbows with them.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I hosed up my elbow falling on my lovely thin elbow pads and panic-bought a pair of too-small ones with decent elbow cushioning. So my tip is make sure you buy the right size, because now my elbow is reasonably protected but I've taken a few sticks and pucks to my protected forearm and that sucks almost as much.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I've seen some Itech ones that have some sort of neoprene or foam wrap that loops around and doesn't stretch. That's what I'm looking for. Something with as little stretch to wear out as possible.

Sounds like a trip to HockeyMonkey is in order this weekend. I am loving my EQ50 more and more (or I'm just on a ridiculous hot streak) so I should load up on them at a discount while I can.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Stupid problem, I'll keep it brief, but here goes...

I got an e-mail from this guy who ran the D-league team I played for this past fall/winter, asking me if I'd be interested in playing again this fall. I said yeah, I'd be interested. He e-mails me back and says he'll let me know when/if he gets things organized, just wanted to gauge interest. He also asks me about this drop-in I go to Sunday, saying he'd like to stop by.

I had mentioned it before, like, a loooong time ago but he couldn't go for w/e reason. Anyways, the drop-in has progressively got faster with more skilled guys and less knuckle draggers, which I and other skaters there like. Now, I wouldn't really give too much of a poo poo if he came, but I know others there might and I understand why.

So do I lie to this guy, and what's a good lie to say in this case? Or should I just be honest and say he sucks, which is kinda awkward since I may be playing on a team with this guy? Like I said, stupid problem. Suggestions welcome.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is it an open skate? If so, then it's kind of a dick move to get all butthurt just because someone wants to show up, but isn't as good as the others. If it's a private skate then just say, "it's pretty fast and you might not have a good time."

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Is it an open skate? If so, then it's kind of a dick move to get all butthurt just because someone wants to show up, but isn't as good as the others. If it's a private skate then just say, "it's pretty fast and you might not have a good time."

It's a private drop-in.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Or..."sorry dude. full up!"

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Oh hey, just a reminder that the pond hockey tournament that bewbies and sellouts posted about a few months ago is opening registration on Monday!

http://www.usahockey.com/players/pond_hockey_championships.aspx

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I've been trying to write this e-mail for way longer than I should, wrangling with words, trying to come up with a clever way of saying "you suck don't come" without saying "you suck don't come". This is what I've got.

quote:

About the Sunday drop-in—when I last told you about it, it was about half young fast skaters and half old dudes. It was originally an old dude skate but over the years it has received an influx of more skilled players. Over the past few months, it has become considerably more pronounced, with young fast skaters making the majority of the guys out there.

But to the point, while I’d like if you skated with us, a lot of guys there have been pretty explicit in their desire to keep the skate fast and make it faster whenever possible. Unfortunately, I do not run the skate, otherwise I'd feel more comfortable inviting you.

I know this is about as nice as possible but it's still saying "you suck don't come" and he's gonna know it says that and I'm not a mean person! I'm thinking of saying the skate ended up dying or doesn't run in the summer or some such poo poo, because I can't do this.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

"Hey man, the Sunday drop in has changed since we last spoke and it's gotten pretty full of upper level guys. I checked with the guys that run it and they said that they'd let me know if any spots open up"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Or just let him show up. If he can't keep up then I'm sure he'll realize it and stop coming. Maybe he'll even get a little better by skating with better dudes.

I guess you can say its full since its a private ice, but it's still a bit of a dick move.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

People who spend the time and energy to organize a bunch of (traditionally) deadbeat hockey players and take the monetary risk doing so every week should be able to invite who they want. It's their party and they earn it through constant bullshit of people flaking out, not having money, paying late, showing up late, being douches, etc.

If the consensus of the people that are skating are to keep it to a certain level, they're paying for it. New guys aren't and most hockey players don't want to be complete dicks to new guys but also don't want to have to coddle them along despite coming in under the expectation that the ice time would go a certain way.

EDIT: There's drop ins here that have a waiting list of years to get on as a regular AND you have to be pretty drat good. I don't feel offended when I go into the rink or I know people playing in it, it's a private thing and I'm not invited. That's cool. This guy shouldn't feel that way either.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 12, 2012

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
"sorry dude, the guy who runs the drop-in doesn't want any more new guys coming. I'd like it if you could come, but I don't run the skate. I'll let you know if you can come in another time. Sorry."

I personally wouldn't be offended if someone told me the skate was probably too high-level for me, but I'm god awful and I don't take this poo poo that seriously so as to take offense to someone pointing that out to me. That said, you can be tactful and tell a little white lie. If he's reasonable, he'll just get over it, like most people would.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Speaking of private ice, how do most people manage whos in for that week? Our weekly thing is a lot of emails sent to the whole invite list. We've been looking at a Google spreadsheet/form option, but is there a simpler way?

Also: got my first actual game goal last night, which was great but kind of disappointing since I was directly responsible for screening our goalie on their first and a giveaway leading to their second.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

EvilTwig posted:

Speaking of private ice, how do most people manage whos in for that week? Our weekly thing is a lot of emails sent to the whole invite list. We've been looking at a Google spreadsheet/form option, but is there a simpler way?

Also: got my first actual game goal last night, which was great but kind of disappointing since I was directly responsible for screening our goalie on their first and a giveaway leading to their second.

The guy that runs the pickup that I go to uses this, seems easy enough. I think you just email a list of people and from there you RSVP and it shows who is a yes/no. Can limit the open spots that there are too.
http://socializr.punchbowl.com/new_event

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I lied and went with a combination of what you guys were saying and what I came up with--I said there was way too many people lately and the guy who ran the drop-in was pretty explicit about letting it die down a bit, and that I'd let him know when it does (which is another lie but I'm banking on him not asking again in the future).

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
So the hospital I work at is offering ImPACT baseline testing (concussion test) for $50. Worth it?

Thufir fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 12, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If your head is ever at risk coming into rapid contact with the ice and/or boards, I'd say yes.

I keep meaning to find someone in my area that does the test, but you know, :effort:.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Thufir posted:

So the the hospital I work at is offering ImPACT baseline testing (concussion test) for $50. Worth it?

I know for me, I had to wait until I was symptom free and could withstand a series of progressively more intense exercise (ranging from riding an exercise bike slowly to HIIT) without my symptoms returning before I got back out on the ice. That being said, it would have been nice to have a baseline, since it would have been another source of information that I could use in conjunction with my own observations to help determine when it is safe to return to play.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Thufir posted:

So the hospital I work at is offering ImPACT baseline testing (concussion test) for $50. Worth it?

Isn't baseline testing just a bunch of reaction tests they keep on file for you so that when you think you have a concussion, you perform those same tests again and if you're slower then they conclude that you have a concussion?

It looks like you'd have to get this test every time you think you have a concussion and up until you feel "better".

Here's some baseline testing you can do for a one time charge of $50. Go buy an old copy of Mario Party off craigslist for $5. Play a bunch of mini games and record your high scores. When you get a concussion, go try and match your high scores. If you can't, you have a concussion. Now mail me $45.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I once faceplanted the ice and landed squarely on my cage. I was a bit dizzy after that, but other than that I was fine. So that's my "maybe got a minor concussion" story.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I've had one mild concussion while playing.

A guy came in on a breakaway, one defense trailing him. He's a left handed shooter and he's got the ball on his backhand. He switches to forehand and I drop. At the same time my defense pushes him from behind and his knee flies up into my cage. Apparently my head rebounded into the post, but I made the save.

There is a empty spot and I'm on my feet following the play. Everything seems fine, as I must have made the save, but I don't remember it.

About an hour after the game, my team and I are out getting something to eat. In the middle of a conversation, I lost the ability to remember/process what was being said to me. My buddy looked at me and asked me something and I just sat there, trying to figure out what he just said.

I don't remember driving to the hospital, but that's the next place I was at. The tests they ran on me came back negative. Here's the funny part, in the room I was in was a TV that they turned on when I entered. After the doc went through the paperwork he looked at me and asked me what I was watching and if it was any good.

"Huh? Oh yah, I was watching it, I don't remember. Some game show I think"

I had been watching "COPS" for a hour while they ran the tests. It was 11 o'clock at night.

3 days off of work for me and a friend while I stayed up for over 24 hours for observation.

Lesson learned? Concussion symptoms can take a while before the onset. Get checked.

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 12, 2012

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

Pleads posted:

Oh hey, just a reminder that the pond hockey tournament that bewbies and sellouts posted about a few months ago is opening registration on Monday!

http://www.usahockey.com/players/pond_hockey_championships.aspx

I really, REALLY, want to go to this. Need to wrangle up a team.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

VendaGoat posted:

I've had one mild concussion while playing.

A guy came in on a breakaway, one defense trailing him. He's a left handed shooter and he's got the ball on his backhand. He switches to forehand and I drop. At the same time my defense pushes him from behind and his knee flies up into my cage. Apparently my head rebounded into the post, but I made the save.

There is a empty spot and I'm on my feet following the play. Everything seems fine, as I must have made the save, but I don't remember it.

About an hour after the game, my team and I are out getting something to eat. In the middle of a conversation, I lost the ability to remember/process what was being said to me. My buddy looked at me and asked me something and I just sat there, trying to figure out what he just said.

I don't remember driving to the hospital, but that's the next place I was at. The tests they ran on me came back negative. Here's the funny part, in the room I was in was a TV that they turned on when I entered. After the doc went through the paperwork he looked at me and asked me what I was watching and if it was any good.

"Huh? Oh yah, I was watching it, I don't remember. Some game show I think"

I had been watching "COPS" for a hour while they ran the tests. It was 11 o'clock at night.

3 days off of work for me and a friend while I stayed up for over 24 hours for observation.

Lesson learned? Concussion symptoms can take a while before the onset. Get checked.

Concussions are scary. I experienced missing time when I had my concussion too and the only reason I was able to piece it together was that I had a friend playing in the opposite net and he asked me between periods if I was ok after the shot to the mask that I took. I had no idea what he was talking about and have no memory of the impact, but everyone told me I took a shot off of my mask and it made a really loud sound.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

lizardking posted:

I really, REALLY, want to go to this. Need to wrangle up a team.

You'd better register on Monday or you will not get in. It fills up insanely fast.

Bananananana
Feb 10, 2009

bigmike posted:

Isn't baseline testing just a bunch of reaction tests they keep on file for you so that when you think you have a concussion, you perform those same tests again and if you're slower then they conclude that you have a concussion?

It looks like you'd have to get this test every time you think you have a concussion and up until you feel "better".

Here's some baseline testing you can do for a one time charge of $50. Go buy an old copy of Mario Party off craigslist for $5. Play a bunch of mini games and record your high scores. When you get a concussion, go try and match your high scores. If you can't, you have a concussion. Now mail me $45.

It's got symptom checklist, then a bunch of words and pictures of squiggles that flash on the screen for like a minute, and you have to remember which ones were there and which ones weren't, then a reaction time test, and then you have to remember letters and count down numbers in sequence in between. It was mandatory at both high schools I've been to, I think there might be some law about it or something after everyone got concussed playing football but I'm not sure. Anyway I think it's pretty legitimate. Dunno if it's worth $50 though if you're not crashing into people every day.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

oddIXIbbo posted:

We are working on fielding GoonSquad teams in D-I, D-II and NeverEver. It would be fun to have actual Goons all up in the GoonSquad.

email me at oddixibbo at g male dot com. I don't have plat.

I sent you an email.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

You'd better register on Monday or you will not get in. It fills up insanely fast.

Goon Squad team. Lets do it.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Goon Squad team. Lets do it.

Register in Novice division and our team will meet your team on the lake. No holds barred Goon on Goon bloodfest

:getin:

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

dms666 posted:

The guy that runs the pickup that I go to uses this, seems easy enough. I think you just email a list of people and from there you RSVP and it shows who is a yes/no. Can limit the open spots that there are too.
http://socializr.punchbowl.com/new_event

Thanks, looking at this as an option.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bananananana posted:

Dunno if it's worth $50 though if you're not crashing into people every day.

It's hockey, poo poo can go horribly wrong even if it's a clean game and suddenly you're on the bench wondering why everyone's asking if that puck to the head hurt.

That's the entire point of a baseline test.. you take it before there's problems, and when you get unlucky your doctor will have data available for gauging your condition.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
So I'm going back to Pittsburgh until the 31st of this month for an externship at an animal hospital there. The weekend after I get back, I have a hockey tournament. I don't want to be nearly a month out from the last time I played for this tournament, and hell I know all the rinks in Pittsburgh anyway, so I was thinking about hitting up a few stick & pucks or maybe drop-in while I'm over there.

Anyway, all that to say I haven't flown with my hockey gear for probably about two or three years. I'm flying United, does anyone have any recent experience with them regarding whether they consider sticks + bag to be two separate pieces of luggage w/r/t their checked bag charges or only one? I know this hasn't seemed to be very consistent in the times I've flown in the past (I actually got a security call threatened on me once because I looked 'menacing' with my hockey stick in hand and was arguing with the agent...lol riiight) but was just wondering if anyone's got any idea what their official policy is. I looked at their site but it's very ambiguous, figured people's actual experiences would be better.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

United charged me for 1 bag out of CWA last February. The stick bag was viewed as an accessory bag to the bag I was charged for.

American Airlines allowed me to check my suitcase, hockey equipment, and hockey sticks under their 2 bags free policy.

I think it's pretty standard and the Pittsburgh people would be on board as they probably see hockey sticks every now and then. SFO/SJC or whatever nor cal airport you fly out of? Not so sure.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
SMF - Sacramento. I actually called and they confirmed sticks + bag should count as only one. It's really ambiguous on their website though!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I was going to quote the website but it definitely is. When I researched it last year (maybe it was AA.com) I swear it said that the hockey stick counted as an accessory bag to the 1 checked equipment bag. I guess they changed it for some reason.

Of course, like most charges, it depends entirely on the random person you get at the counter and how familiar they are with the policies.

Super late edit:

Eagle River 2013 is apparently requiring all participants to be pre-registered with USA Hockey. They didn't even check last year for me. Just FYI for teams that are going to register, if any.

Also, if anyone is headed up there, please post about it. Our team is going to rent some ice time on Thursday night and it would be very fun to play with more than 6-7 people.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 15, 2012

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

A few inline questions (I know little about inline)--

One of my wheels recently, uh, exploded, and the others aren't in good shape, so I need new wheels. What rating should I get? Rarely do I skate in the street these days; typically I play at an outdoor rink by my house which has a (relatively) smooth surface, though I'd like to know I can skate on rougher terrain if I wanted to. What size wheel should I get? I had two 80mm on the backs of my skates and two 72mm on the fronts. And is there anything else I should know or be concerned with?

Gio fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 15, 2012

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Gio posted:

A few inline questions (I know little about inline)--

One of my wheels recently, uh, exploded, and the others aren't in good shape, so I need new wheels. What rating should I get? Rarely do I skate in the street these days; typically I play at an outdoor rink by my house which has a (relatively) smooth surface, though I'd like to know I can skate on rougher terrain if I wanted to. What size wheel should I get? I had two 80mm on the backs of my skates and two 72mm on the fronts. And is there anything else I should know or be concerned with?
Go with something with a rating of 80 and higher. They will stand up to the outdoor terrain. Also if your skates are hi lo setup go 80s in the back and 76 up front

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

Also, if anyone is headed up there, please post about it. Our team is going to rent some ice time on Thursday night and it would be very fun to play with more than 6-7 people.

Hell yeah, some other band of goons needs to show up for sure. Get it together, people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
The team I subbed for tonight gave me #69 to wear. I felt like such a douche.