Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Bradf0rd posted:

You guys got nothing on bad officiating compared to this gem on Sunday.

This was ruled as a no goal since neither official saw it go in.

If dude had done a sick celly, like a gentleman, they probably would have called it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yay: Evergreen Lake has been open for a few weeks and I already have something like six hours out on the ice.

Boo: lacebite :(

Anyone doing the PBR tourney in Feb? I'm debating between this and heading down to Silverton for a few days.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Week 1.5 with hellacious lace-bite. Anyone got any tips other than vitamin-I, ice, rest, and beer?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

These are old skates. not really worried about preventing it in the future; I've picked up another bungapad. I also don't usually have a problem, I just exacerbated it after skating for three straight hours two weeks ago. More trying to figure out how to get this poo poo to go away. It's been two weeks and it's still tender in spots.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Intervals. Hockey is an anaerobic sport. Push 250 watts for 60 seconds, then do a 2 minute recovery at 100 watts. Repeat 10 times.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 19, 2016

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

If you play defense in midget or above: you would usually be left D, so your stick is positioned best in relation to the play in the defensive zone.

If you play below midget, or are in beer league: you'll usually play "somewhwere between one of their guys and the net, if possible."

Lookup defensive responsibilities, there are good diagrams on what your area of coverage is. Your first objective is to take away time and space from the other player, not necessarily to get the puck from them. That will come later, as a result of having taken away their time and space.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

z0331 posted:

How is that even possible? Do they not wear cages?

Only guy I ever knew that lost a tooth wore a cage. Someone punched him with a stick in their hand in the parking lot after the game

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

This just in: 4-on-4 on half-ice (rink width) is extraordinarily tight.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

don't take slapshots into traffic in beer league people, you're not shea weber. feather that poo poo in, like a gentleman.

we had some dummy on friday try to drop a bomb from the point during drop-in, thing wound up being five feet off the ice by the time it hit the slot. :ughh:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Pleads posted:

Someone post a hockey story, sellouts is getting antsy

The Goal.
A One act play.

ACT I

CURTAIN RISE, DROP IN 9:45PM MDT

WHITE TEAM ENTERS THE ZONE, STAGE LEFT. ONE MEMBER OF THE WHITE TEAM IS WEARING A RED JERSEY AND, FOR REASONS KNOWN ONLY TO HIM, A PINNIE.

Narrator: Tonight was a pretty tough drop-in. A lot of the DU club kids were out en force. Captain dangles, johnny tryhard, and their buddy who probably didn't make the team, but still skates with them anyway.

They were on the bench for this shift.

As my team hit the zone with speed, dark team's back-check was tenacious. They'd been mostly tearing up our zone all night, but this was our chance.

A quick 10 seconds brought the rest of our paltry force in with us. Pass to the point, then cross ice. Back down to one of my offensive partners on the low wing boards.

A WHITE PLAYER MOVES INTO THE AREA BETWEEN THE SLOT AND THE LEFT FACEOFF CIRCLE. HE IS NOT SPOTTED BY DARK.

Narrator: I moved into the area between the slot and the left face off circle. I wasn't spotted by dark.

My counterpart on the far side sees me and rips a crazy nice pass. I prepare to snap redirect it. Wind up, but the goalie seems almost completely prepared for the pass.

I grip my stick as hard as I can. My blade in position to put it up and in, short side. The puck makes contact.

ACTORS MOVE IN SLOW MOTION

Narrator: As the puck begins to come off my blade, I can see in the goalies eyes that he has me. He knew the redirect was coming. Side-to-side in a flash. He has the entirety of my side covered now. He hovers, menacingly over almost every single corner of the area between myself and the glory of tattered rope and steel that lives behind him.

CUE: FAAAAAAAAAAAART

THE PUCK TUMBLES ENDLESSLY IN A GENTLE ARC, UP AND OVER THE GOALIE'S OUTSTRETCHED AND NOW FLAILING GLOVE. TRAVELING AT AN EMBARRASSINGLY LOW SPEED, THE PUCK MAKES CONTACT WITH THE FAR POST, BARELY CARRYING ENOUGH SPEED TO MAKE A "PING" NOISE. THEN IN.

Narrator: I got all of it.

FIN

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

any drop-in where you are?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Pretty sure you guys are spelling lacrosse wrong.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I love skating on Magness ice.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What exercises? You're describing my left knee exactly.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

When it's your turn, bring a craft lager or a pale ale. When it's someone else's turn, drink whatever they brought, be it Pliny the Elder or PBR. If they bring Natty Light, kick them off the team.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

sellouts posted:

And you've gone to a doctor and gotten physical therapy and everyone's just thrown their hands up and given up?

This is literally how orthopedic medicine works.

Pleads posted:

Anyone with any sort of lingering health problem may want to make an appointment in the next few days...

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

sellouts posted:

You mean minus imaging, which is a huge component, and can suggest solutions like surgery, which fixes things that PT can't?

Doctor's tend to order things like X-rays and MRIs when they suspect there's an underlying issue that the imaging might show. It's not a panacea. Sometimes a busted joint is just a busted joint, now matter how many MRI's or x-rays or surgeries you want to throw at it.

e: Also, I would assume doctor 7's physician took x-rays. They're cheap. MRIs are not.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 4, 2017

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Tank44 posted:

Update: broken fibula. Have a cast on now. Get surgery next week, out 2-3 months.

That sucks. Hope you heal up quick.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

^^ Looks like someone wants a belly rub.

Have you tried custom insoles for your shoulder problem?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 5, 2017

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Have you tried re-baking them?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The product page for the 5092 says they're thermo-formable. I'm honestly a little surprised the shop didn't cook them when you bought them.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

If you wear a Santa hat to drop-in and celebrate your sixth goal, you are hilarious.

If you wear a Santa hat to a beer league game and celebrate your sixth goal you are an rear end in a top hat.

HTH

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

I do this when some idiot in a cage decides to start poo poo with those of us who remain uncaged. If you seriously misbehave I'm grabbing your cage and this is not a thing you want to happen.

This is an extraordinarily dangerous thing to do. There's a reason it's a major and a game and, often, a suspension.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 24, 2017

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

He's probably the best, most well respected, and knowledgeable hockey player in this thread.

That doesn't make grabbing another person's face mask any less stupid or dangerous

Don't grab people's cages. You are literally transferring control of their spinal column from them to you. That is not a responsibility you want to take on in the middle of a loving beer league fight. If anything bad happens, you are responsible.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 24, 2017

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

tbh in your case i actually do recommend you start grabbing people's cages.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

EvilTwig posted:

I saw this from the bench a few fridays ago, and its just as entertaining here as it was then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMMuOdiqkxw

This was an emotional roller coaster.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

JamesWestfall posted:

So I just started adult hockey lessons and boy am I bad on my outside edge, inside for either foot is alright but I lack any sort of confidence on the outside. What can I do to help remedy this and work on it?

Drills like this are your best bet.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Go to stick-and-puck and practice the things you want to execute well in game. I cannot stress this enough. Want to do Patrick Kane's thing where slows down to pass at the top of the circle then rips one bar down past a cheating goalie? Then go practice it for 30 minutes as often as you can.

Want to walk off the wall and fire one in off-footed like Kessel? Go walk off the wall 50 times and fire that fucker in like it's Game 7. Then go walk off the other wall 50 more times.

Belfrey Hockey has some great YouTube videos of the work great players put in before they ever do a thing in an actual game. 99% of the stuff that looks amazing and spontaneous is the result of dozens of hours of practice. Practicing this stuff slows the game down for you when you're doing it in anger. Humans are nothing but giant meat-filled pattern recognition machines, so when you get there you're brain will go, "Bleep blorp, Oh, I've seen this situation before. Executing operation x34a7b9. Bleep bloop."

The only requirement is that you don't half-rear end it. As a wise coach once told me: practice doesn't make perfect; practice makes permanent.

Go to stick-and-puck.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

uh…

Your comment about hockey players doing dumb poo poo because hockey players love to do dumb poo poo is pretty spot on, though.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Alright man, this is getting ridiculous so I'm gonna do the ignore thing. Please go disagree with literally everything somebody else says for a while.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Did every pass look like a kind of out front scooping/snow shoveling motion? That seems pretty common at lower levels where folks try to "shove" the puck rather than slide it on its way.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

How rude do you think it would be to just spritz some Febreze on the guy next to you on the bench at drop-in?

this poo poo last night was a borderline war crime.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

prom candy posted:

Does metabolism really get worse as you age, or is it more a factor of spending more time sitting around and snacking? I feel like mine has been the same since about 13.

Have a seat and let me tell you about your mid-30’s and on…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Get some Superfeet insoles. They’ll also improve performance, but don’t use them for that.