Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

I'll never forgive bradford for stealing a championship away from my team.

j/k hes a great guy and why someone who plays hockey would choose to live on an island ...

Sorry, not sorry. Got another mug for it!

The island thing isn't too bad, unless you really want to play in leagues. I was playing on Duke's 3v3 team until work became too busy and I was commuting 3+ hours round trip and dealing with the ferry schedules for maybe 20 minutes of skating. I'm a goalie in a private small ice skate at the same time, on the same day, every week. So I can make the longer trip worth it since it's about 90 minutes of ice time. We even get a dry scrape at half thanks to the lovely Zam driver taking bribes in beer and giftcards. I could probably do leagues in Tacoma but I'm enjoying the drama-free skates with a group I've played with for five years now. If Duke ever gets another five or so championship mugs, I might return to get more glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

Do you have any info on good outdoor ice in the Denver area? I'm still altitude adjusting and having a patch where I can go do laps without paying would be ideal.

I was thinking of heading to Palmer Lake this weekend but the temps are kinda high. I'll probably go anyways but not expect too much.

Not sure where you're at in the area, but the Longmont Ice Pavilion is outdoors on a smaller rink.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
I always wear a cage unless it's pond hockey. Most leagues are also going to require at least a visor now.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Chill la Chill posted:

Was skipping around reading old posts in this thread the other day and that jersey story reminds me of the goon who posted their hebrew national jerseys with boner names. I wonder if they ever got to use it

They sure did.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

Warmup is pretty easy, knock back a beer and chat with your bros as you wait for the zamboni to finish. Maybe do some leg swings to convince yourself you're ready to skate. Once you get on the ice maybe do groin stretches in the ref's crease because you've seen pros do that and it means you don't have to build up a sweat.

Cooldown is more involved, you gotta think about stuff from the game to bullshit about and decide how many beers you can tolerate before it becomes illegal to drive home.

You left out the warm up routine of trying to deke out the cold goalie and also hitting them in the mask.

Cooldown is spot on, though.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

Man just latch onto that private skate

That’s the real gold

Echoing this. I'll sub for league play occasionally still but a consistent time and day with chill people is way better.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
LiveBarn is only good for getting clips of the absolutely dumbest plays/falls imaginable and I pay money for that ability.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Jhet posted:

I'd rather be on the ice with the former college/juniors players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Jhet posted:

Lols, how long ago is this from LIC? That sign looks pretty old.

I think the WC ice is up for one more day and is getting taken down on Friday. Super awesome that everyone's having a bunch of fun with it. Too many Seattle hockey people itt where we're all going to need to at least drink beer in a parking lot at some point.

I want to say it was 2019 at LIC, Div 1/2. That game got rough but the best part of that was neither ref saw the stick go over. One of our players had to go get the stick, hand it to the ref, and then the guy got tossed.