Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Hey, I saw a dude playing pickup today at the Mt. Lebo ice rink here in Pittsburgh wearing a Goon Squad jersey. Was it any one of you guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

Is that the jersey with the :iamafag: on it? If so, I know they have an inline team at Neville

Um... maybe, I didn't see it too well. It's yellow and definitely says GOONSQUAD on it.

(I was on the other team so I wasn't paying too much attention to his jersey and I had to leave early so I didn't get to be all super creepy and stairs him, though maybe it'd have distracted him during his shift :v:)

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Fingers McGee posted:

Do you guys think it's worth moving up from a vapor x20 to a x40 since they are on sale? The x20s are a year old and I've noticed that after a session they weigh a ton.

Ive been doing the adult skating skills clinic again for the last three weeks. Ive improved a ton since last summer and zip through most of the drills. Ive weeded out a couple bad habbits in the process. I signed up as a defensman but got to play second line wing last night. I did pretty well, I had two break aways and tried my best to shoot in stride and aimed 5hole each time, but I lifted it too much and hit his thigh/crotch both times.

I moved from an X:20 to an X:60 actually, but it has the same kickpoint stuff as the X:40. I love it, I noticed that I shoot SO MUCH BETTER with the moving kickpoint, plus the weight is so much better. The materials it's made out of are a lot better too... I know I shouldn't but I've actually used it on concrete and it hasn't hosed it up at all. I'd say get it if it's not gonna break your budget, you should notice a huge improvement with the moving kickpoint I think.

E: Oh you're talking about skates v0v sorry. I have x:30 skates and they're pretty good, so I don't see the point of my upgrading to the x:40s, although from x:20s I'd definitely upgrade if you could.

Also, I know I'm just starting so technically I don't /need/ an x:60, but I'm buying it used off of a friend and it's gonna be like $110 or so :)

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Are there any Pittsburgh goons here? I'm trying to join a team and I have absolutely no idea how to go about it. Are there any sites that people go on or anything? Basically I just go to pickup because that was all I had time for, but since I'm probably not going back to school next semester, I should have more free time (gonna get a job obviously but still, it'd be more regular than projects for 4 CS classes)

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

What rinks are you close to?

I'm in Penn Hills so technically Bladerunners in Harmarville, but I usually go out to one of the rinks in the South Hills for pick up and stick time since it takes like 30-45 minutes to get there and there's way more people.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

Does anyone know a comparable high end stick/shaft to the Vapor APX that comes with standard taper? I really like the rounded corners of the Vapor line. I have the lower end X:20 which comes with a standard taper but I hate grip coating and am really looking for 77 flex (x:20 only comes in 87).

I think Bauer's Supreme line has standard tapers, I don't know if they sell them as just shafts though.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

They sell the TotalONE as a shaft with the standard taper but the corners are square and not rounded like their vapor line.

Ah, yeah, I see what you mean. I don't know then... I always get one piece sticks; I just got a '11 Warrior Dolomite at like clearance prices from a local hockey shop ($105 instead of $200 something apparently) and it's a really nice stick. It's got rounded edges and stuff, the only thing is it's a little heavy compared to my x:60. Maybe they have a shaft of this? I think the Reebok AI line has rounded edges too but I may be wrong on that.

e: on the topic of blades/shafts, I have a one piece X:60 but my blade is splitting on the bottom. Is it possible to cut it off and replace it with another one or is that impossible with one piece sticks?

e2: I just checked out my sticks again, the Dolomite is more rounded than the Supreme One 30 that my friend has but a bit more square than the X:60 that I've got, just to give you an idea.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 1, 2012

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Minister Robathan posted:

So I decided when buying my most recent one piece, that I'd try a whippier one. I usually use a 100 flex Eastons. Got an 85 flex Synergy (s something, I forget). Holy hell, how do people play with this poo poo? I've cut it down an inch or so, like always, and the thing just flops everywhere. I practically can't take slapshots. I literally lose the puck because it bounces around because the stick flexes whenever I do anything. I've been playing forever, and using these stiffer sticks the whole time, is there something I'm doing wrong?

Like, i see people here excited for 60 flex int sticks, for 80s, and I literally just don't get it. I'm a forward, so slapshots aren't THAT big a deal, but my snapshots and wristshots are no better, my release isn't quicker or anything, so I just don't see the advantage to such a whippy stick. So is there something I'm missing here?

Probably body size/weight. I'm ~150lbs or so; having a 100 flex stick wouldn't do me any good, it'd just be impossible for me to load right or get any kind of decent shot off with. I use 85/87 (bauer) and it seems to be right for me. Any less I'd worry about breaking it and like I said, any more just wouldn't help at all.

edit: I kind of doubt that the stick flexes trying to stickhandle though... they still should take ~85 lbs of force to bend it and it doesn't make sense that you're putting that much force on it stick handing.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 3, 2012

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Minister Robathan posted:

I don't know that playing once a week is often enough to develop this technique, though. Like, it took me 2 games to figure out how to take slappers reliably ( lower the bottom hand) but I have to think about it, which isn't an ideal situation because you don't often have that time available in game situations. That said, if I can gain an advantage doing it, great, but I don't see any advantage right now, which sucks.

Well I mean you're definitely not going to see an immediate advantage if you're used to a heavy flex and if you don't take time to get used to it. The best solution would be to go to a stick time or two and just mess around with it if you can.

The thing is, at 135, you're almost certainly not going to be able to load up a 100 flex stick enough for your shots to get the most power out of them.

quote:

e. It's more for the wrist/snap shots that I feel like I'm really missing something, as the whole draw of a whippy stick is supposed to be there, and it's just not, at all. No (visible) increase in power, no increase whatsoever in speed of release, and a slight loss in accuracy (as expected). So basically, I just don't see the benefit.

This may be a technique issue then. Softer flexes (well, and composites in general) are able to help you out a lot more if you know how to load them up properly; if you're not getting any flex on your stick then it's not going to do much good. Part of this may be from learning on a stiff flex -- it may have been a lot harder for you to get any flex at all, so it doesn't seem like you would have gotten the chance to learn how to properly load your stick for a shot.

These are all assumptions though since none of us have ever seen you play, and I'm certainly not saying you're a lovely player! (I am not a great player yet myself so it'd be pretty hypocritical if I was going out and saying you suck)

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I asked this earlier but is there any way to put a replacement blade on a one piece composite? Mine is splitting along the bottom of the blade and if I could I'd like to cut it off and replace it but I don't know if it's exactly an option. It's an x:60 if it matters.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Usually for composites you have to flip the stick over and put a blade in the handle/shaft. Changes the flex point of the stick as well. I'd recommend just spending the extra cash and getting a new one-piece.

Man...I wonder how many carbon-fiber trees have to be felled every year to satiate our desire for maximum performance?

I dunno, must be a whole forest every year what with all the NHL players. Maybe that's where the carbon rainforests are going!

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

gigabitnokie posted:

Nah it was a 100 flex and I only weigh 150, no biggie.

You know I know this is jabbing at me but drat it's funny v:shobon:v

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I guess I figured I'd chime in. I just started playing ice around a year and a half ago. I haven't worn a cage at all while playing. I actually never even wore a visor. Anyway, I've gotten a stick in the face once or twice, but I've found that being aware of where the puck is and where people are skating and what they're doing has gone a long way in keeping me from getting hurt. Like bigmike said, I also learned to sort of protect myself if it looks like I may get hit. The only time I've actually gotten a significant head injury was a concussion I got from screening the goalie. He (or his teammate) pushed my back and I lost my balance and fell forward and hit my chin off the ice. Other than that though, I haven't really had anything happen. This is all pickup too, because I haven't really been able to join a team yet.

I mean it's anecdotal evidence, but I don't feel unsafe not wearing a cage, even when screening a goalie or practicing deflections. I actually like how much easier it is to see what's going on without a cage (I wore a hockey helmet + cage for full contact sparring and stuff in karate when I was younger which is my basis for comparison).

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

coldwind posted:

One concussion in 18 months is not a very good rate.

I don't know how much a cage would have helped with falling forward and hitting my head off the ice without getting my arms out in time really. I mean the same forces would have happened regardless, especially because I didn't have a mouthguard in. I mean the chin pad may have helped a bit but the way I hit it doesn't seem like it'd make that much of a difference.

e: looking at it, it may have helped though. I don't know, it all comes down to personal preference really.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 19, 2012

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

e: not gdt lol

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Stick time is like $8 here.

Pickup is $7-10 depending on where you go; it's $7 at one rink that only has it at noon on monday and thursday; everywhere else is $10.

Pittsburgh.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

Where are you doing 8$ stick times? I used to play in Delmont, but now I play in North Kittaning, Warrendale, Rostravor, and sometimes Castle Shannon. (These are all places around Pittsburgh for anyone who is confused)

As toxicsunset said, Ice Castle in Castle Shannon has $8 stick time for 90 minutes. It's weekdays 10-11:30 or 3:40-5:10pm. The late one sometimes changes by an hour or so. I also would recommend not going to the late one unless you feel like trying to not run over little kids the whole time. Also rear end in a top hat instructors give kids private lessons then and literally set up pylons covering like half of the zone by the net. It's loving bullshit.

e:

toxicsunset posted:

Stick time at Ice Castle(Castle Shannon) is most def. $8 for an hour and a half. It's in the AM, 10:00 to 11:30 if i recall correctly, but during the summer they run weekends also. There's pickup of varying quality all over the place if you know the right guys. It's over now but I used to know of a $5 for 3+ hour session at Schenley monday nights from midnight til the guy who runs it gets tired(anytime from 2:00 to as late as 4:15 before). There's a guy who overcharges that runs about a million pickup games but charges like $15 for an hour. There's, again, now over due to weather saturday nights at schenley for $10 for two hours. Another one thursday nights at south park for $10 for an hour. If you go on craigslist you can find guys advertising their ice time and poo poo sometimes. Or just ask around.

I had someone mention to me at Ice Castle that he'd go to that midnight stuff at Schenley. It sounds like it'd be the most awesome thing ever. I also never thought to check craigslist. What category is it under?

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 25, 2012

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Pleads posted:

I did some permanent nerve damage to my elbow in my previous lovely elbow pads, so I bought some thicker ones in a size small that are probably too small and could use replacing.

Anyone with ridiculously boney elbows have any good recommendations on pads? Basically everything I tried in the store didn't seem like they would help in the event I fell directly onto my elbow again.

I have fairly bony elbows and I just use the Bauer x:20 elbow pads. They work fine and stay in place, but I also don't have nerve damage in my elbow so I'm not sure if they'd actually have enough padding over your elbow for you though.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I have an Easton EQ 20 bag that I've been using for a year or so at least and it's holding up pretty well. No complaints about it so far. The EQ 20 one is apparently just 32", but the EQ 30 bag is 36" according to hockeymonkey.

real_scud posted:

Only if the bag specifically has a built-in cooler like one of the guys on my old team used to have.

This is awesome as hell.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I need to get a new pair of hockey pants soon. Anyway, I tried a few different pairs on a few months ago and most of the pairs I tried on felt really boxy and awkward. This was with a few different brands too (Easton, Bauer Supremes and CCMs). Is this an intentional design decision or is it just that they don't fit me right? The Reebok ones I tried on felt like they fit a lot... tighter maybe? They seemed to be more form fitting and it didn't feel as awkward walking or moving around in them, but I'm not sure how the boxy-ness or form-fittingness translate to how they fit while actually skating.

For reference I have an ancient pair of Koho pants that someone gave me at stick time one time because he was getting new ones. They're comfy but they have like no actual protection and I've gotten bruised hips quite a few times from random stuff.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

I ended up springing for a 3 month pass my rink offers. $125 for unlimited sesssions (stick & puck, free skate and pick-up hockey) for 3 months! I fully plan on taking advantage of it and going more often. Ice time is expensive, but I can really squeeze my money's worth out of that.

This is a drat good deal. I normally spend at least $15 a week on stick time/pickup. Stick time is $8 for 1.5 hours and pickup is $7-$10 for 2 hours.

I wish places in Pittsburgh had a pass like that; I'd equal the cost in like a month. Which is probably why it'll never happen here.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Are you in Pittsburgh? I'm just guessing based on your avatar. I am in a beginner league right now as goalie. I can give you more info if you want.

I need this info too (e: if it's cool with you). (I can't read). Holy gently caress I've been waiting to get into a league for like a year. Dek hockey just doesn't cut it.

Also we should have a Pittsburgh Hockey Goon Pickup meet or some poo poo.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 1, 2012

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

Email this guy fxnfly at zoominternet dot net and ask about beginners league info. I think there were over 30 spots remaining for August. Where do you play dek at?

We need a list of where/what everyone plays like the gear list someone made.

I'm on a team out at DekStar. Me and a friend actually got on our team by chance; we went out to Greentree to gently caress around and these guys asked us if we wanted to be on their team that they were throwing together because the season was starting 2 days later. It worked out pretty well though, we're 8-1 with 1 game left before the playoffs.

How should I tell this person I got his email?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

I dont think he asks, just say you were interested in beginners league and pickup and he will add you to the email list for pickup and give you league info.

I still play Dek, but out at Cranberry Dek Hockey, used to play at Dek-Star but got tired of how badly that place was ran.

Lol they just had a "scheduling issue" where they told us the makeup game that they had scheduled for tomorrow at 3 is actually going to be played thursday at 7:30. It's kinda ridiculous but it's still pretty fun. I think our division is supposed to be like E or D maybe, but it's really unbalanced. The top two teams are 8-0 and 8-1 (we're .5GB), and then you have 3 teams roughly near each other and then 2 that are 2-8 and 1-8. The top team and my team definitely should be up a league, we're just crushing everyone and it isn't even fair. Other than parity though, it doesn't seem to be all that terribly ran, but I've been playing there for less than a full season.

I'm emailing that guy now, thanks for the contact!

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Hey, are any of you Pittsburgh goons playing in that E League out at Warrendale that got mentioned like way earlier in this thread? If so we should meet up or whatever. Actually we should just have a Pittsburgh hockey meetup anyway.

Also I pulled my groin last night (at the tryout thing for that league) and holy gently caress it hurts to move. Anyone have tips for caring for a pulled groin?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

real_scud posted:

yeah. Have it this weekend while I'm in town but busy all weekend with family stuff. :argh:

Who cares about family when you have us goons? :v:

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Did you guys get emails? I haven't gotten one yet if so.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

Well I'm going back to Cali on Tuesday!

We should definitely try to meet up before Tuesday then. Would Sunday or Monday be better for you guys?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

The guy who drafted the team I'm on emailed me, I guess its up to them if they want to do that or not. I'm not sure if Bill will end up sending out an email too at one point or not. Heading out there tonight though for the 7:40 pickup.

I just got an email a few minutes ago. Apparently I am on Team 7 as well, so I guess we'll be meeting soon regardless. I don't think I'm goony enough to actually stairs anyone though, so we'll have to find out each others' real life identities in a more normal way :v:

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You could also come join our Pittsburgh facebook goon group to circumvent the awkwardness. I hope we end up playing at some point this season!

I'm actually in it; I think you invited me a while ago?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

Looks like our schedule is up, first game at 11 on Friday.
http://sportability.com/spx/Leagues/schedule.asp?LgID=30562&Filter=217675

My friend got put on Ninja Perogies as goalie, he is currently trying to switch to our team if possible. He played for the first time in like 8 years last week and is still looking good, so hopefully that can be done.

Oh, I'm the one with the camo hockey bag.

Ah, sweet. I have very plain hockey gear so there's not much to identify me by really... are you in the goonburgh fb group?

Also I apparently was traded onto our team because someone on the team requested to play with his old team. I'm not sure how I feel about being traded before the first game (yes I do, it's funny as poo poo :v:)

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Who do I need to pm to get into goonburgh on fb? I'm up there ~4 times a year and want more than family to drink/skate/hockey with. Guess I should also post in the LAN thread when I come up too.

You can email me at lookaroundyou22 [at] gmail and i'll add you n'at.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Well that game last night kinda sucked. I got tripped like 5 times, and while I'm sure that most of them were unintentional and the result of people being kinda weak on skates and losing edges, you still need to call it when someone trips over an outstretched foot. It looks like they're not gonna call much of anything, or at least that pair of refs didn't.

We played pretty well though, especially for our first game as a team. The gwg was on a clean breakaway off a turnover, which honestly happens. It just sucks that we couldn't get it back despite pressuring pretty hard.

@dms666 I did recognize you but I wasn't about to stairs you because yeah. I was the guy who was like 5 minutes late because of work (gently caress people who show up "just to browse" 5 minutes before close). I also don't wear a cage or visor so that's another way to distinguish me v0v (please no visorchat)

Hopefully next week I'll get there on time so I can actually meet you and the rest of the team.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Verman posted:

Well after my game tonight, we only had 1 sub and still managed to bust out a 10-5 win. Our goalie played well and that new S19 felt amazing.

A little whippier than my usual Reebok 11k and the blade was a touch longer. Overall the feel was more supple and I felt like I had more control on the puck and more power on my shot.

I got 4 goals with it, cant complain.

That score :psyduck:

Is this roller or dek or something?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

My team had to forfeit our game last night because our goalie decided to flip the gently caress out and try to fight basically everyone on the other team at the end of the 2nd period. It was only 6-4 them and we were keeping up pretty well for having like 5 less people than they did. I also scored a goal and slid on both knees as a celebration :v:

We got a new goalie who hopefully doesn't go crazy for no reason at least!

toxicsunset posted:

Before tonight I hadn't scored a goal in 3 seasons

tonight I scored a hat trick

feels good man

This is awesome!

e: What do you guys do to celebrate? Any dickhead stuff or do you mostly just go for the team hug and fistbumps?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I like to taunt the 3 parents/wives/kids of players on the other team in the stands.

My friend seriously did this at a dek hockey game. It was kinda (very) ridiculous. I think he told them he had their grandmas on his dick... Surprisingly he didn't get kicked out or even talked to by the ref.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Gio posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't score many goals.

It was my first goal ok :saddowns:

E: it for real was too (in a league game, I'd never been in a league)

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Well our game sucked last night. The other team was a total ringer team, half of them had no business in a beginners league. A few of them very clearly had high school+ experience. We ended up breaking the shutout at the end of the 3rd but it was still 9-2 in the end.

I also almost got in a fight because I threw a check on one of the guys on the other team who was obviously not supposed to be in this league while he was dancing around in our zone carrying it from behind the net. It would have been a clean hit (had the puck, shoulder to shoulder, etc.) if checking were legal, but it was still horribly uncalled for in a non-checking league, even if the guy obviously had played in high school or whatever before. He really should get the gently caress out of the league though, he honestly doesn't belong and is pretty much only there to feel good about himself.

Dms666 had a good game though!

e: I feel that I should add that after the game I did apologize to him when I shook his hand in the postgame handshake line.

e2: I also know that hitting people like that in a no-hit league when they aren't really expecting to be hit is really dumb and potentially dangerous and I should not do it, I'm not defending my actions, it was really uncalled for.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 20, 2012

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Boomer The Cannon posted:

If I have flat feet and terrible ankles, is ice hockey something I can do without excruciating pain? Roller blades gave me fits as a kid for being sore, but that was a 15-18 years ago. I miss playing ball hockey, but in order to get back into it, ice hockey seems to be the only thing I can do.

I've got flat feet, but after breaking my skates in I have no problems with my feet hurting. I don't know about ankle issues because I've never had any problems with mine, but there's pretty good ankle support in most skates now. Getting them baked can also help break them in a lot quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

Thanks, as you can tell I really wanted to end the shutout. Yeah, I had a feeling that once that drop pass to top corner wrister happened about 2-3 minutes in to a beginners league game, that it wasnt going to go well.

I think we just need someone who can carry the puck up and get us in the zone and we will be fine. Sophia seemed to be doing a decent job at it when she showed up.

I also completely missed your whole situation, was getting tired and had my head down.

Was that you that scored the first goal? I didn't even know who it was, I was just happy we got one past them. You were pretty much where you needed to be and you made a lot of good plays.

Honestly I think that a big part of the problem is our breakout. We're ok getting into the offensive end if we can get a clean breakout from the defensive end, but most of the time we just end up with panic clears that either go straight to the other teams defense and right back in our end or we do get the puck in the neutral zone in a bad position with no support for the puck carrier. I just think we need to calm down when we get the puck in the defensive end and get our forwards in good positions for breakout passes when we do. Sophia being there did make a noticeable difference too.

The other thing I noticed is that we pinch way too much, and when we do, nobody drops back to cover the point. We gave up at least 4 odd man rushes on bad or uncovered pinches.

And yeah, I drilled the guy coming around the net. He's definitely a strong skater, but that's still no excuse for me to hit him. He definitely had a right to be pissed about it tbh, but at least we both calmed down and didn't keep going and get kicked out.

E: I hit their #20, he was the ugly rear end guy who was skating circles around us in the defensive zone like the whole game.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 20, 2012