Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just bought some rollerblades. I haven't skated since I was young someone tell me how to not die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Loqieu posted:

Just don't try to do a hockey stop like you would do on ice skates.

Literally the first thing I did. It hurt.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I just skated for the fourth time today and used a stick for the first time. It was amazing and fun and I can't do a crossover to the right at all and can't skate backwards. And my left crossovers can barely be called that. Hockey is hard.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Habibi posted:

If your rear end isn't touching the ice it doesn't count as 'skating.'

My rear end was on the ice, but it was from falling

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Do you guys know anywhere decent to skate late at night during the week around Chicago? I did my skating in Colorado while I was out there

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ok. Bollingbrook. 355 and boughton area. Somewhere within 40 minutes of there. And mind you I haven't actually played hockey before. Just skated, puck handled, and passed around a bit. Any hockey stuff I know is from watching it or playing nhl the video game. I don't think I'm ready for pick up

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

drizzle posted:

There is rocket ice and canlan right there and they both have rat and stick and puck. Not much in the past couple months because of high school leagues I guess but in the spring canlan would have rat almost every other night at like six or seven.

Sitck and puck is during my work hours. At rocket ice at least. I'm not sure if I'm ready for rat yet.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

All Seasons in Aurora/Naperville has a newbie friendly learn to play Thursday nights at 10:10. It usually lasts until 11:30-12:00. It's $20. Drills are kind of half-assed but it's a laid back skate.

Canlan has a drop in learn to play clinic at 8:30am on Sundays. It's $25 which is a lot but the coaching is top notch and geared for adults learning to play.

I don't skate there but Rocket Ice has rat hockey almost every night. Might be some danglers or no one at all, but it's cheap ice and no one will care if you're new.

Welp. I'm sold. I have a few friends, my brother and fiancé are all trying to get into hockey together so I might just try to get us all to the same rat hockey time. We just don't want my friend who is trying to goalie to get completely shelled

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Anyone in the Chicagoland area around 6ft 190 lbs have old gear they'd sell me? I'm looking to actually start playing. All I have so far is a pair of bad skates, stick, helmet, cup, and gloves. I'm beyond poo poo garbage at skating atm

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I had a game of firsts today.

First multi-goal game and fist multi goal shift. Oh yeah, first game winner.

First goal was a greasy rebound I worked around the goalie. Totally earned that one.

Second goal was a shot from the right circle that wasn't all that great. Hit the goalies glove, bounced up over it and dropped in.

The center on my line spent the rest of the game trying to get me the hatty. I wasn't too broken up about it.

Oh yeah, I threw out a massive screen for the first goal too. Goalie had no clue the puck was even coming towards her.

Is your league in Romeoville Illinois?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

Yes, he plays down there. I play there Sunday mornings too.

Is that canlan? I was thinking of playing with some friends. I'm God awful and can't do crossovers to the right or skate backwards. How much do you want to play with me. I'm practicing skating p much right now.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

Yep, Canlan. If you can get up at the rear end crack of dawn on Sundays the instructional league is pretty drat good. Kinda pricey but you get a clinic every week mixed with 8 games (which means you can HTFU and do a game and a clinic on the same day), coached and ref'd so it's a good springboard into low level beer league. The classes usually do about 50 minutes of various skating drills, then 30 of team oriented drills like breakouts or whatever.

If you sign up with a friend, they allow you to name them and guarantee you get on the same team. Not sure about more than that, the organizer will do it if asked but is really big on even teams and that's hard to do if everyone tried to lock things up.

We'd probably bump into each other, depends how many people sign up for summer. I've been doing the higher skill division the past couple seasons so haven't seen the rookies too much lately. Not that I'm any good.. I'm just a couple percent less bad.

Early morning hockey owns by the way.

I think one actually was starting this weekend or soon. But what gear do I need to play minimum in their leagues? Before the last couple years I never skated. Skiing was my closest experience. I'm committed though.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I was thinking of doing the hockey development skating but I'd have to miss two days. Do you think they'd discount it at all?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I got my lovely skates sharpened so no more lovely rentals for me.
Going to mcfetridge tonight in chicago to skate. I'm hoping if i skate twice a week I'll eventually be able to be able to crossover to the right

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I skated today on my new sharp edges. I feel like my life changed. It was so good. I can crossover so easily. I can't do a hockey stop now though. My edges just make me turn weeeee

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Also I'm practicing shooting. I'm righty and can't elevate the puck at all. I switched to my friends lefty stick and can elevate and aim the puck perfectly. I don't understand???

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

OK I guess I'm a hockey lefty

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

prom candy posted:

I'm left-handed but shoot right, most people I know play dominant hand top hand (in Canada). Another way to figure it out is pick up a broom or a shovel or an axe or something in whatever way feels natural. Whatever your top hand is there, that's probably your top hand in hockey.

The lovely thing is when your strong foot is also the side you shoot on. If I'm on offense my strongest stop leaves me facing the net on my backhand. My left foot is getting better but I still don't trust it if I really need to stop quickly.

The thing is that my leg is my dominate one I think. I do everything better turning left. Also I use a shovel and broom right handed. Maybe that's habit though. I'm going to try to find a cheep lefty stick today. I'm gonna work on my skating some more during an open skate. I'm pumped. I probably can't afford to buy my hockey stuff until after my wedding so I guess I'll set a tentative date for September 1st that I want to play my first pickup game by.
Once I get crossovers to the right and stopping to the right down I'll start working on skating backwards. Or should I just keep working on skating forwards and get the feeling for it?
Also when skating in a straight line and gliding do I want to be flat on the ice, or riding on my edges?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Your wife's opinion doesn't count, unfortunately.

:drat:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I'm skating again tonight. I'm gonna get those crossovers to the right if it kills me

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

So back to the lefty righty thing. Should I just get a stick for each and see what works? My puck handling is garbage lefty, and my shot/passing is garbage righty

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I skated tonight. I was able to move backwards a bit by pushing with just one skate. I also worked on my weak skating side and did forward swivels. Someone said it'd help strengthen my legs
Also I'll work on stick stuff tomorrow. Then roller hockey Sunday. Hockey is amazing why didn't I start this when I was 2

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Habibi posted:

Because your parents suck.

They had me ski instead. As much as I love it I'd rather be a good skater

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

Skiing is actually good for learning hockey stops, it's the exact same twist of the hips.

Skiing is the reason I can do the hockey stops. Same thing. Although I'm not great on skates doing a hockey stop. As my skates are dulling it gets easier

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Where is a good place to get panels of synthetic ice so I can practice puck handling at home?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I just skated for an hour and a half and then played roller hockey for 2 hours. My right foot hurts so bad I can't stand on it but I had so much fun. Also concrete hurts way more than ice

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I wore my all-star Scott jersey to skate last night and had a guy saying to his wife 'see I told you people could find one. Mannnnn' he was very whiney for a 50+ year old. We talked about how great Scott is and how bad the NHL is. Hockey people are the best.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I got all my hockey stuff finally! I start doing hockey fundamentals Monday the 20th. Woooo it's happening

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

So I'm going to an inline rink tomorrow for roller hockey. My friend is coming and only has outdoor tires. Do you need indoor tires? Or is it just recommended?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I played roller hockey today with my brother in law. It was fun. I am bad

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I play in a hockey fundamentals class tomorrow :toot:
I have to miss the last two classes because of my wedding but woooooooo
I'm super excited to suck.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Did my first hockey fundamentals today. I was divided into the group of people who can't skate well enough and practiced stopping and backwards for an hour in pads with a stick. I've never been so hot in my life. The coach also told me I need new skates after seeing me go across the ice once. Apparently having a soft boot that is really loose makes skating harder.
I guess I'm buying some good skates tomorrow! And also practicing my skating more so I can join the people doing stick and puck stuff.
Any advice on skate buying? Just do total hockey?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

What skates do you have currently? Are you a cheetos devouring fatty or a normal weight?

Extremely cheap skates can be too flexible, especially if your balance/ankles haven't conditioned to hockey yet, but on the other hand I've seen dudes who have skated for decades playing the game just fine on budget stuff.

They were some old Mc sports skates that I bought for $5 not on sale 3 years ago.
I'm 185 lbs 5 11. I'm in ok shape and have skied my whole life so I'm used to the movement and should probably have noticed how loose they were

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Any of you live in the Denver area? I just moved out here and am looking to start learning to play again. Disclaimer. I'm literal trash at skating.

Hi Hockles!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Hi all. I'm finally ready to try stick and puck tomorrow after skating enough to not super suck. Very excited to get weird looks at my mask though

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Vargatron posted:

They won't be able to notice it under your tinted visor

I have a sweet cage. Also I went skating one more time yesterday. Stick and puck tonight. I went backwards a bit! and I can stop both ways now! yay!

Should I just bring a helmet/gloves/stick/pucks? Or should I wear my full cage?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

So I just got done skating. Getting better at stopping. I think it helps that I'm a good skier. A lot of this seems to translate. A lot doesn't as well. Aka crossovers. Also on my weak side skiing I am noticably so so bad at skating. All the compensating I did on my strong side has hurt me, so I spent 90 minutes mostly focusing on weak side stuff.

Should I do stick and puck tonight? Or should I actually wait a full day.

After ice skating maybe 5 times in my life I skated monday/wed/thur/friday now and my legs are jelly. I also have been running which probably isn't helping recovery.

I'll wear full pads when I do stick and puck though. I am really excited. Also I wore my Mackinnon sweater and some 10 year olds got super excited and started talking about hockey with me when I went to the other rink to watch a stick and puck happening. Those kids were so happy and passionate. It really put me in a good mood.

Sorry for a wall of text. Skating gets my endorphins going I think.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

Skate as often as you can unless you're completely drained, the more icetime the faster you'll pick up skills.

Hello person I recognize from my SAS poster days as a hawks fan iirc.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Another open skate at 8:15.

Or a stick and puck at 4:15 or 6:45. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ok will skate again tonight then

If any of you are anywhere near downers grover Illinois and want to play with my 2 friends getting into hockey (1 a new goalie) hit me up. They are looking for people to play with and I moved 1000 miles away from them to Denver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

They in a league? Where do they skate?

They did Rocket Ice last time, I'll ask where else they go. They aren't in a league but are looking to join one, or at least find some friendly people to play pick up games with.

Hey Hockles. I went and skated again tonight. It's great.

How often should I sharpen my skates?

Also at 32 I assume I'm too old to actually get good at skating, but I'd like to be decent.

Also is anyone in the Denver metro?

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 11, 2022