Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I was hoping that was a video of those fancy skating moves he put on later. He was just swerving the poo poo out of people in the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Underarmour skate socks or I used Adidas soccer socks whichever comes up after the wash.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

bewbies posted:

So these things:

and associated slightly cheaper brethren are reaching the market in a few days. Do you know what that means hockey fans? That's right, SALE TIME!

It looks like a lot of places have already cut prices on the TotalOnes and quite a bit on the One100s. They're magnificent skates, and for $450 new you're going to have a heck of a time beating the One100s for value.

Also CCM released a bunch of new protective gear that almost couldn't look more like batman's.

edit

or this

I bought the One60s just for this reason. The fit was way better for me than the vapors woohoo!

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Filling it out. Also HOLY gently caress GUYS:

Warning: Shinpad use may increase concussion risk

Edit: Doing this survey makes me realize how much of a gear whore I am.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
So suspension or not? Discuss..

http://youtu.be/I2i1Qe85sgg

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

gently caress Weber, my head still hurts.

At least I wasn't wearing a cage though.

Saved you from a concussion for sure.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

cenzo posted:

Numberchat: #13. Always and forever. No idea why, I just liked the number when I was a kid. When 13 was taken it didn't matter what number I got.

First game of new season tonight. Awesome playoff hockey last night, mens league tonight, loving life so much right now.

Stick question -- It's been a few years since I purchased a stick, and I feel like I'm out of touch with what's going on. I went over to hockey giant to look at some sticks, and I'm genuinely confused by the low kick point vs original stick stuff. Example:

I currently use an Easton ST (85, P4 Zetterberg, GRIP!!!) and enjoy it well enough. I picked up an RS (because I wanted to see what the hub-bub was about), and found the 85 flex P4 more difficult to flex than my ST. I also noticed it was flexing at about the same point (mid way) compared to my ST. Not wanting to go off of memory, I picked up a Mako M5, and an EQ50 (clearance!) and thought they all had more or less the same flex point. Am I doing something wrong or do I just suck so much that I can't tell the difference?

I also picked up a few Bauer sticks to test the feel/lie and found the 87 flex of the Supreme and the Vapors to do the same thing.

Note: I'm kind of an Easton whore, but my buddy who just started playing with us is 100% Bauer so I might leave my comfort zone to give a Bauer stick a try. I know brand and blade are very personal choices, I just want to know about the whole low kick vs not low kick? from people who've tried them so I can make an educated decision in purchasing. My price point is $150 if someone feels a recommendation is in order, too.

I use a EQ50 and switched over from the S line (S19 blah blah). I think the RS is the evolution of those but they also changed it. Switching to the EQ50 from the stealth line was a big difference to me. I mainly shoot wristers and the kick point was perfect for me. The RS feels like it has a higher kick point and it super stiff even at the lower flexes. The Mako is the evolution of the EQ50. A guy on my roller team has it and I checked it out last night. It's pretty much the same stick with a paint job and way lighter. Keep in mind the EQ50 has a built in weight system for a custom feel and I actually prefer it over a super light stick. The EQ50 just feels super balanced.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
The only difference I notice with the weight system is that you feel the puck better on the blade. The shaft itself I don't notice anything.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
The roller league I play in is like this. I play in the lower division and it's totally not a low division. You will get guys coming down from the highest division just to play on a team. Last night we played a team that should have been in at least a division up. It's so dumb but the people that run that rink just like to keep the money flowing.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We had some hilarious use of ringers in the championship game during my first season in the lowest, beginner league.

One of the teams playing has an A and B team. Their B team plays in my league. The A team plays up one skill level, and a few of their guys were in the stands spectating. Between the second and third period, the guys in the stands from the A team switched jerseys with dudes on the bench. One of them scored a couple goals in the third period and won the championship.

The league director did absolutely nothing about it. He said "well.... there's no rules specifically against it... so I'll let it slide." It was pretty much the most ludicrous thing I've ever seen.

This is just awful...like Shanahans rulings.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Ringers are just guys playing below their level, they don't necessarily have to be a sub. Could just be a guy that's friends with kids in a lower division and wants to play with them. Most guys usually hold back. I have a buddy I call to sub for my ice team when guys say they can't make it. He and everyone at the rink knows he is playing way below his level. He usually holds back unless someone on the other team does something messed up and he may turn it on.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Gio posted:

I didn't feel like asking the people in watch & weight or digging through google to find out, so I'll just ask here: Does anyone know where to buy barbell weights? Years ago I bought a weight set (just a rack and bench, more or less) for, like, $190 but never got any use out of it. And now that I'm no longer going to Crossfit (or plan on paying their ridiculous prices) I figured I'd work out this summer at home in my garage. The weights I have kinda suck in that they're metal and I'm looking for rubber weights I can throw to the ground.

Kind of hard to buy a rubber weight set in like a sporting good store. I know for sure you can buy them from Modell's or Dick's (regular weights that is).

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Gio posted:

Yeah, this is the majority of what I've found. Nothing good. For shits and gigs, I looked up weight sets on Rogue Fitness and (shipping included) it's $500 for a 260lbs. set. It's not as bad as I thought, but yeah that's a lot.

I think I may just go back to Crossfit for the summer.

Cheaper to go to the gym at that point. My gym membership comes out to $600 for the year.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Gio posted:

A buddy of mine goes to LA Fitness and has been trying to persuade me to get a membership now that I'm graduating and won't be able to use the school's gym. (Actually I don't know their alumni policy or w/e but I could probably exploit that gym from here to eternity without anyone noticing.) I told him he should just drop the cash and go to Crossfit because he's getting nothing out of LA. I'm sure as hell not dropping money at LA or Planet Fitness or Lifetime because I know I'd never get my money's worth there.

Really depends on what you do when you're at the gym. Some people need a group thing to get them to work out or just a program to follow. I just started following a 5X5 program and I love it.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I think what time you go also affects how the gym environment is. I go during my lunch break from work. I also work in Midtown Manhattan..meaning people who are in the gym on their lunch hour are there to go loving hard cause they have no other time to go to the gym. However people are nice at the NYSC I go to and you can even talk about working out and bullshitting.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

mintskoal posted:

Tanq lounge in that Marriott is the ultimate in cliche hotel bars and it rules. The last time I was there for work a guy was hitting on the very pregnant bartender.

You had me at "very pregnant bartender" what the Christ?!

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Why spray paint your stick when the Mako is out?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

lazerwolf posted:

Speaking of... Anyone use it yet? I'm in the market for a 2nd shaft/blade combo and I saw this was an option. I currently use the Bauer APX with a PM9 X:60 blade and I love the poo poo out of it. Instead of just grabbing a second APX as a 'backup' I figured I'd check out the new stick releases as well

A guy on my roller team has it. I didn't shoot with it or anything but it's ultra light...way lighter than my EQ50. It was flexy as gently caress too and I use a 75!

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I don't slap shot at all because my wrister and snap shot are stronger =(

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Verman posted:

I was at my future in laws over the weekend for mothers day, and the brothers had a green biscuit training puck in the driveway. After playing with it for a few minutes, it felt far better than nearly any training puck Ive ever used. They have a really nicely laid brick driveway which looks great but sucks rear end for shooting a puck let alone stick handling.

It was able to glide really well on any surface which made practicing stick handling pretty easy. Every inline puck I've tried tends to bounce and roll whereas this stays flat and glides easily. I don't know about shooting it but as far as stick handling goes, I was impressed.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=GB

Also, I'm insanely jealous of people who have a driveway and can set up a net to shoot on. After spending an hour in their driveway shooting against their goal with the blocker on, I realized my shot is a lot more accurate than I thought but could still use work.

Icewarehouse use to sell these and this is what I use:
http://www.totalhockey.com/Product.aspx?itm_id=969&div_id=2

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I scored 2 goals that game to up my total to 2 goals for the season.

lol

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I fell face first once during a game. Straight landed on my cage. My chin hurt for a week so annoying.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

Okay, to resurrect exercise chat a bit, have any of you have problems with your lower back wearing out after a long skate? I'm getting pretty bad muscle fatigue.. rest of my body is ready to keep skating, but my back is saying gently caress no to that. I'm not precisely sure which muscles it is, it's either the obliques or the erectors.

I've had the problem for quite a while and have been doing back extensions and oblique crunches like a madman for a few months, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

I'm curious if this is a "hockey player problem" and if anyone knows a magic cure for it.

Do you do deadlifts or barbell rows?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Yea seriously do deadlifts and barbell rows and you should not have this problem. They work out your lower and mid back.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I have eq50 gloves and shins and love them. I have eq30 elbows which are protective and light. I have eq20 pants/shoulders nothing special bout them but they do the job.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

poser posted:

I have decided my favorite beer league player is this guy..

"I'm gonna slash you 10 times in a row, but if you retaliate...you are a loving "psycho goon" and I'm going to "kill you" if you do that again"

Those guys are the best

LOL yes I never understood those guys. We had a guy like that in one of our leagues but it was obvious he was just off his meds. The next season after that he was totally normal. :iiam:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Happy Winter Classic day everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Thufir posted:

Sometimes you have to take the ice you can get. There hasn't been a single drop in at a time I can go to since early December, I'd probably take a 34 skater session at this point :(

This is surprising that they would even allow this. They cap drop-ins at 30 skaters at the places I skate at, minus goalies of course.