Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Verman posted:

If I were a beer league ref, I wouldn't step foot towards a fight because hey I'm not getting paid enough to deal with a bunch of dick swinging try hards who feel like pounding eachothers face in while playing a game.

Although refs that don't take action and precaution against it before hand can only blame themselves for games getting out of hand in most cases.

Well I mean more so that every other rink you will get suspended for fighting as long as the ref reports it, but there are usually at least 5 fights a game every week in that upper league, since there are no consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Tron has around 10 different wheels for $1.50 each today
http://www.hockeytron.com/e-mail-2013-07-26/

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Lost last night after getting a penalty shot called against us with 5 seconds left. I never saw one called before where it is a 1v1 until the middle of the circles and the guy goes around the defender and gets hooked a little, still enough to make a clean move but not score.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

We did a costume game in the beginner league I have been filling in goal for. White team wasn't very creative, just went with black eyes and missing teeth, black had some decent costumes.

Bonus me being a pumpkin image

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Verman posted:

Thats awesome, but I cant imagine playing goalie in a player helmet/mask. Imagine the concussions!

It's a beginner league, I don't think a puck has ever left the ice. I could probably sit in butterfly for the entire game and put up a shutout.

I'm not sure on the Batman jersey, didn't get a close enough look at it to see if someone just put a logo over a Bruins blank jersey or what.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

The one rink I play at is owned by the county, located in a park, and they are strictly no alcohol. They won't even let you have a drink in the parking lot either.

Other rinks are fine though as long as it is kept to the parking lot. We usually tailgate after summer games longer than the rink itself stays open.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

My friend is moving to the DC area, possibly in Arlington and was wondering how the beginner leagues are there. I remember there being a few people in here that play in the area, any advice?

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Look Around You posted:

I went to pickup yesterday and had a blast even though I could barely breathe (since I kinda ran out of my maintenance medicine for my asthma a week or so ago) The one I went to is usually pretty physical, which I already like, but yesterday there was actual hitting going on -- not hitting to hurt or hitting at high speed, but solid checks to separate the puck from the puckcarrier along the boards. It definitely changes how you play in the offensive zone when you can't just skate along the boards with the puck to look for an open man.

Also, dms666, my team plays your team tomorrow! I get to gently caress up passes and embarrass myself in front of another goon!

At Brady's or Warrendale?

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Look Around You posted:

Brady's. I'm loving these early starts too. 7:45 is so so so much better than 11pm.

Oh okay, good luck tonight. We lost to that team in the finals last session, I don't think you were on it though. Your goalie is up there with ours, definitely the best two in the league. If the starts were 8:15 they would be perfect, have a few people on our team that have to rush there straight from work.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

bgreman posted:

How many other Pittsburgh hockey goons are there?

5-6 maybe?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiScXmeJDaOidDJsWnlTUG5xM2trTmtFai1DQ1pHN1E&usp=sharing

Look Around You posted:

That was a pretty good game. You guys are really solid all around, and that was definitely one of the best games I've played out there. My team's forwards were way out of position all night though, which led to quite a few failed breakouts. You guys are definitely probably the best team in the league; the only other team that tough was the gray team.

Actually, I have a question for you all: When you're on a team, do you guys generally set positions for forwards and rotate them (e.g. everyone has a single position they play the entire game, and they switch for the other person playing that position coming off, so you're subbing for the same man all night), or do you just rotate through the whole forward group?

Every team I've been on up until this one two games in has done the former (set positions), since you know exactly where you're supposed to be and exactly who you're supposed to come on for. One person on my team dislikes this idea because it means you might get unequal ice time and he paid the same amount of money as everyone else! (even though we have less defensemen so they play more per game, and also our goalie plays the entire game). The thing that really pisses me off about it was that literally everyone was ok with switching on positions tonight, and were going to do it, when he comes out wiht "NO WE'RE ROTATING THERE'S PEOPLE WHO TAKE LONG SHIFTS AND IT'S NOT FAIR ICE TIME" and nobody felt like arguing so we just went with it. I really don't understand that, because we had 9 forwards tonight, so he'd get the same ice time no matter what.

I guess I have a follow up question on how do you deal with someone who is that paranoid about/fixated on their precious ice time to the point where they're breaking up what the rest of the team was going to do. It's really getting to the point where that person is making me just not want to even show up with how controlling his is and lovely he is because ~equal time!~. It doesn't help that he can barely skate at all and in reality probably shouldn't even be playing at this level to begin with. I have no problems with people less skilled or still learning or whatever (it's a D league, so basically pretty experienced beginners; he's by far the least skilled person on the team in terms of even skating), but the dramatic lack of any ability to skate or even see what's going on during the game combined with the ridiculous attitude of demanding that everyone rotate because he ~PAID THE SAME AMOUNT~ and can't be an adult and say "hey don't take 6 minute shifts, there's two other guys waiting on you"

(yes I know that everyone pays the same amount, but in reality there's not a huge difference in ice time switching positions vs rotating, even if there's two centers vs 3 wing pairs or vice versa, and that totally leaves out the fact that we have 4 defensemen, who by virtue of playing defense, get more ice time, and I personally would rather get less ice time in return for knowing who i'm changing for and where i'm going when i hop on during play)

E: part of why I mentioned his skill level is that I honestly think he doesn't even understand why we actually want to rotate on positions, let alone why it's so frustrating when you aren't, and that he just sees it as "maybe less ice time => bad bad bad bad bad"

Thanks, it was a fun game. Did your goalie throw his stick at some point in the 3rd while the faceoff was in my end?

Gray is definitely the best just due to their one B level player. I think we might have had 3-4 shots against them that entire game, although we were missing quite a few people. We were shutout.

We try to roll 3 C's and 2 LW/RW's if we have the right amount of people, otherwise we do assign everyone either LW/RW/C and just roll through the positions as someone changes. Everyone tries to keep their shifts around 2 minutes, but that doesn't work all of the time. No one really complains unless someone is out there coasting around/tired.

dms666 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 1, 2014

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Look Around You posted:

Yo dms666, good game tonight. It was a lot closer than I would have liked, but you guys always play us close. Actually, you're probably my favorite team to play against. Also, were you missing guys tonight? You all seemed a little slower than normal for some reason.

Also we fixed position and Mr. Eventime didn't bitch tonight, which was amazing! (though maybe it was because we literally all decided before he even heard about the decision, which given his reactions, I don't feel bad at all about)

We were down a couple people but they were are slower guys anyways. Yeah it was a fun game for sure, we were all happy to see your normal goalie wasn't there, but the guy with the red pants was instead. He is annoying to play against just because of how great he is at shielding the puck. Good luck in the finals.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

bgreman posted:

I've heard this story from a number of hockey people here in Pittsburgh. They all "heard about it from another person." I've never heard of it actually happening to someone direct from their mouth, or even someone who directly knew someone it happened to, and I've played with a ton of people. I half-suspect it's an urban legend in the rec hockey community.

I still take a minimum into the rink, and obscure my keys in my bag, so.

If you are talking about Bladerunners in Cranberry/Warrendale I was tailgating next to a car that was stolen after one of our games. We just assumed the guy got in his car and left after his game and thought nothing of it until there was a guy running around in the lobby in his skates looking like he was about to fight someone. He said someone stole his car keys and then his car which was about 10 ft from the entrance. Eventually the cops came and asked us a few questions, but no one paid the guy any attention at all. Eventually they found the car due to his cell phone being left in it with the GPS on.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

bgreman posted:

I play on a team in the "C-minor" league there. We lose a lot, and it has more d-bags than any of the other leagues I play in (not a ton, but still more), but it's still pretty fun.

I also play in the low level leagues run at the Warrendale Bladerunners and Mt. Lebanon.

I've only ever been to two stick time sessions because there's hardly any of them available during non-working hours.

Edit: There is almost no crossover between the Pittsburgh hockey goons who post in here and the general Pittsburgh goon thread.

What team do you play on at Warrendale?

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

bgreman posted:

The orange team, Crash Test Dummies, in the summer E League.

Oh, I think I know who you are now, I'm assuming you're the captain judging by your username? We tailgated together after the last game. I was probably sitting in the back of Bill/Jodie's Xterra for most of the night drinking too much Yuengling hah. I also played goalie at your teammate's RMU pickups the last couple of times. If you need any help for the playoffs this week let me know, I'm free, we ended up with a bye.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Molotov Yogurt posted:

Does anyone play in a league in the Pittsburgh area?

I asked this like a year ago but I only just now brought my equipment with me.

There are a few people who do depending on what area of the city.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiScXmeJDaOidDJsWnlTUG5xM2trTmtFai1DQ1pHN1E&usp=sharing

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Topoisomerase posted:

I need to change my info who maintains this and can change it so I am not added twice????

Just put a 2 by your name and I'll delete the old entry and rename the new one.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Look Around You posted:

Ugh my team is totally hosed.

We had our first game of the season tonight after losing 3/4 of our defensemen and our (really good) goalie. We got our poo poo pushed in 11-1. The 4 new guys we had were roughly equivalent to the lower skilled guys that carried over, so the net skill of the team dropped a SHITLOAD. We spent most of the game in our end or turning pucks over in the neutral zone, had no breakout because the wings had no idea where to be and our defense had no poise with the puck and would just ring it around the boards as soon as it touched their stick, so we couldn't breakout at all. Add to that most of the team now can barely skate without the puck, let alone while trying to carry it and you have a recipe for disaster. I feel awful for our goalie, he got hung out to dry so many times tonight by either bad defense/positioning or giving up stupid breakaways from dumb turnovers at the blue line (since our one defenseman doesn't understand that you probably should not try to hold the offensive blue line against a person charging with the puck since they will just chip it off the wall). We had wingers roaming around behind the other side of the net in the defensive zone, wingers being in the slot screening the goalie (leading to goals), everything that's really awful and frustrating that could happen did.

At least nobody tried to fight or got lovely with each other though!

When I saw the rosters for this session and that the entire carpool group that was in E league for the last two sessions moved up, I knew that wasn't going to be good. They were all on the team I played goalie for in E league and a few of them could barely control the puck in E...

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

bgreman posted:

If you're talking about Brady's Run, I joined the D league for this season. I think I lucked out though, because I got put on the gray team. Based on the website, it looks like they won the last session. Any info?

Yeah it's Brady's. There are three levels there, B (mostly people who have played some form of college/semi-pro/ or their entire lives), D, and E (complete beginners). They had a guy who could play B no problem who was able to dominate the game we played against them. We only played them once in the Spring and it was the teams first session in the league so I don't know much else.

Look Around You posted:

Yeah we're totally hosed. I asked Lisa if she knew of anyone decent that wasn't on a team that she could send our way because right now I don't think we'll win a single game. I feel bad saying it but none of them should have moved up, they all look extremely lost and out of place.

They beat my team (White Lightning) in the championship last season. They're just a really solid team overall. I can't remember anything that sticks out as a weakness. You'll have a good time, and unless there was a lot of turnover in your team, you'll probably be up there with Blackout and maybe Amish Electricians for top team in the league.

Amish beat us 3-2 in OT in the first game, they are solid once again and improved in goal from the last few seasons. We'll be without our best player for at least a month+ so who know's how we'll end up doing. I think we play you next week.

Look Around You posted:

It's a draft league, and I'm not sure there's any way to drop down at this point. The roster turnover was already gonna be bad but the people were lost were almost too good to be in the league, and they were replaced with people who probably aren't skilled enough to be in the league.

Yeah this is the lowest league at the rink outside of the beginners league which is pretty regulated with who can play in it skill wise. There probably should be a league in between the two, but who knows if that will ever happen.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

bgreman posted:

We had our first game tonight. We got smashed, 10-1 and our goalie quit! Wooo!

Ouch that sucks, were you missing any players?

Look Around You posted:

Lol what? Did you guys get a new goalie in the offseason or something? That's really strange.

Maybe it's the old Green goalie? I think Green had a different goalie last week vs last season, and their old one had an awful attitude iirc.

I think this guy is new to the league, he is the one who always posts in the Pittsburgh hockey groups on Facebook talking about his Vokoun pads. I've only seen him play dek hockey and he wasn't the greatest, just big.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

I use their sticks but that's about it, never had a problem with them.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Look Around You posted:

It's not your fault if your teammates play like dicks, so I wouldn't worry about that. The jersey thing sucks, I sent emails and stuff to Lisa about 2 guys on my team who needed jerseys and I still don't think they have them. It may not be your captain's fault; sometimes they just don't get stuff like that done in this league for some reason.

Also hopefully you're not wearing white tonight because my whole team (save maybe 2) will be wearing white.

Also also that last post I made was super ramble-y and I maybe shouldn't post 5 minutes before I go to bed.

Woo grade 2 shoulder strain. Guy shoved me from behind when I was going in to the corner and fell shoulder first in to the boards, watch out for him, I think he had blue socks on.

Some of the issues with the league lately have been due to Lisa, who mostly runs it, has been in the process of moving. Also the ref who helps her with it tore his ACL so he can't really be at the rink until March. Either way it still hasn't been the greatest of leagues and the skill level seems to keep increasing.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

I love having my backpack. I purchased one of those like $25 TRON ones that has lasted me 2-3 years so far. I can easily fit all of my player gear in it as long as I pack it creatively (gloves and elbows inside my pants). It is nice to just have both hands free to open doors or carry something else besides my sticks.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

If anyone was looking for a backpack bag, TRON has them on sale for $23.99 today with code BACKPACK40

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Pleads posted:

For everyone who has played in a 2-bowl arena (like, 10,000+ seats), was it absurdly echoey?

I remember it being really echoey when we totally with permission drunkenly snuck onto the ice after a game and the noise of the echo really startled me.

Yeah Consol is like this, every shot that hits the boards just echoes throughout the entire place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Ugh this really sucks, we went to the bar like a minute away from the rink after our game on Sunday night and my friend had his goalie bag stolen while we were inside. They didn't touch his wife's bag which was sitting next to it or anything else in the car. They are waiting on getting the security camera footage from the bar. The car was parked no more than 10 feet from the front door.