Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
I'm trying to improve my endurance, specifically being able to keep my knees bent for a long time. Does anyone have any off ice exercises for this besides wall sits and holding a squat for a long time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

xzzy posted:

Last night was the shittiest skate ever. 15 minutes in and I was seeing spots, so like some giant pussy I had to take a 5 minute break on the bench just so I wouldn't puke all over the ice. Not sure why, the rink is well air conditioned and I wasn't working any harder than normal. Guess it was just my body telling me to gently caress off. :iiam:

Then to add insult I got a nasty headache on my way home.

gently caress you, body.

This used to happen to me all the time when I did leg workouts in the mornings and eating more food about an hour beforehand seemed to prevent it.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Maybe find a group that isn't organized by an idiot.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
A guy at pickup hockey forgot his shinpads and played without them last week, which looked hilarious. I dunno if I'd play if I forgot shinpads. On the one hand you could really hurt yourself, on the other hand, showing up to hockey and not being able to play really, really loving sucks and would basically ruin my whole week.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Thufir posted:

I don't know how you forget big stuff like that because I'm so scared that I will that I triple check my bag before I leave the house. I did forget to put the insoles back in my skates one time though, that sucked.

I do this too. I check, put my stuff in the car, then check again. Sometimes I freak out and stop at the end of the block and check again.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Do you practice your shot with skates on? I find no matter how much I shoot off ice, when I go play it feels totally different and I might as well not even have practiced.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
I have never paid any attention to the specifics of skate sharpening. Does it make a huge difference or do you have to be an amazing hockey player/skater to notice it?

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Thufir posted:

Gah, caught a slapshot right between my glove cuff and elbow pads last night, right on the bone. loving hurts.

This happened to me a couple of months ago. The puck hit the thumb tendons, my wrist swelled up to 3x its normal size and I had to wear a splint for a week. I still have a lump where it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Does anyone know a way of lacing up skates so that the foot part is tight but the ankle is loose? I've been playing with the laces tied loosely and I like the increased ankle mobility but the overall looseness of the skate is kind of annoying, so I'm wondering if it's possible to get the best of both worlds. If I have to I might try using two laces for each skate but I'm hoping there's some ingenuous knot or eyelet looping pattern that will let me avoid that.

sellouts posted:

Also I’ve gone on and off working out but after 200 days of travel last year and the consequences of that I committed back to it and after 15 weeks of it, it feels drat good to shoot the puck harder and be able to at least maybe sometimes catch a more skilled player when they’re being lazy

What sort of workouts are you doing? Weights? I went from kind of average speed to one of the fastest guys on the ice just from building up my squat numbers. The difference between going from untrained/low level beginner to upper level beginner lifting is incredible.