Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Diseased Yak posted:

HOLY gently caress this show was amazing.

Weedeater was followed by the veterans, Saint Vitus. They tore it UP! Very loving loud, very loving amazing. They engaged the crowd pretty well. The highlight was probably their drummer, who was determined to put someone's eye out by constantly throwing his drumsticks into the crowd at high velocity.

Found out about this the day it was happening, and it was loving awesome, especially since I ran into an old friend who'd been in a doom drone band that performed a live score for Nosferatu one time.

There were times when Weedeater's bassist was just slumped against the amps, clutching at his bass; I wasn't expecting their drummer to look as old as he appears, but he was giving the drums a serious pounding. They also had some of the best shirt designs I've seen for an active band, I still might end up grabbing the Nuclear Family shirt.

Saint Vitus' drummer had at least ten pairs of sticks that he threw into the crowd. Best part of their performance was when the guitarist was rubbing his face on the strings and still tearing out chords.

And YOB was loving heavy. Ended up burning a few listening to Norska's album with Demons of the Mind playing on mute after the concert. Great night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

QPZIL posted:

SUNN ■]]] BEAR NO RELATION TO SUNN O))) OR SOUTHERN LORD IN ANY WAY.

Wow... yeah, that's not shady at all.

"NOTE THE 90 DEGREE ANGLES."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Listened to Northless - Clandestine Abuse today. Now I'm wondering if you guys could tell me whether they have an album with a different vocal delivery/style, since that was really the only thing keeping me from enjoying what was otherwise a pretty solid doom vibe.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Got Magic Circle's self-titled album today; feels like solid Black Sabbath/Ozzy worship, so I'd recommend giving it a listen if that sounds good to you.

e: Thanks for the recommendation, Oldstench.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 3, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Can anyone recommend some well-done voodoo-themed metal?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just have to say that "The Queen Of Death", by this Necronomicon (of the several bands by that name) is really, really good. Somewhere between a Black Sabbath and Deep Purple late '70s metal vibe, without being so proggy that it overrides the doom elements.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 24, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Anyone else going to catch EyeHateGod in Louisiana this Saturday, before they head off to Europe?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The EHG show was good, despite confusion about the starting time. Missed out on Sheeple and Our Precious Demise (but judging by the names, that's a positive), and Life on Ceres was more nu-metal than I was expecting.

Dankhdjinn were loving great, sludgy instrumental doom, kind of like Bongripper, but with more of a focus on layering riffs over each other and building that up. When some tech problem came up with the guitar after the first song, one of the bassists kept a drone going while they fixed it. I really want to get some stuff by these guys, but right now, they don't even have a Bandcamp page. They say they're gonna change that soon, though.

It was my first EHG show, and as misanthropic as they try to come across on their albums, the vocalist seemed really dependent on validation from the audience, as he complained about the crowd being ~80 people and the amount of applause compared to what a Pantera cover by one of the earlier bands received. He also threw in some amusing nonsense, though, promising post-show prostate exams from the guitarist, going on a black metal vocals tangent where he channeled Kronos and complained about the beer compared to Newcastle, and then just losing his poo poo as he kept trying to top his BM vocal impression.

Definitely glad I went. I even got my first bottle of metal band-brand hot sauce.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Caught Giganto, Dankhdjinn, and Before the Eyewall tonight. Giganto was OK, unpolished noise rock with more rock than noise, nothing special.

Dankhdjinn

guitarist obscured by flare
were the band I hit up the show for, and they were just as good as they were at the EHG show; maybe a little better, since the acoustics at this venue were tighter and helped push the amp output. If you wanna hear something like Bongripper with more drone, and you're in the southern States, you should check them out. I'm just wishing they would get some of their material recorded and put out a demo soon.

Before the Eyewall was better than Giganto, but I have a hard time shaking my skepticism when a heavy band is using a Mac for processing.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Does anyone know if Grey (the ones who did Sisters Of The Wyrd) are working on a follow-up? SotW was on the verge of being interesting, it just needed more than one song structure. Wouldn't mind picking up their next effort, as long as it's not more of the same without any improvement.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just have to say that Bell Witch's debut album, Longing, is pretty great.

First three tracks are drawn-out and nicely heavy, then the fourth track takes a looong sample of Vincent Price from Masque of the Red Death and plays alongside it before closing it out with the fifth track and an outro. One of the few doom albums I've picked up lately that I actually bothered turning the lights off for listening.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Was there a significant amount of hype for Grime's debut, Deteriorate, or am I misremembering based on Forcefield Records throwing up a bunch of favorable reviews? Kind of underwhelmed by it. Musically, it's not too bad, but the album felt like it never really hit its stride, and they were killing time to get to the end of it. Plus the bass seemed kind of muffled. Neat to see that cover artist get another cover to his credits, though.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
EyeHateGod have announced some shows for their 25th anniversary, only four US shows.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I haven't seen them mentioned much, but I'm really impressed with the two albums Cough's put out so far, Sigillum Luciferi and Ritual Abuse. I don't listen to them too often, but when I do, it's just really solid and slow doom with a little black metal atmosphere from time to time. Has there been any word of work on a new non-split album?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Saw Windhand a week or so ago, with supporting acts Iron Tongue (uninspired sludge) and Sumokem (who almost stole the show). Windhand was cool, all the members were willing to sign a copy of their first album, but due to the small bar venue, none of the bands brought merch. Talked to Sumokem as they were packing up equipment, and found out they'd only been together since January, so all they had in the way of music fans could take home was an unmastered version of their track "The Emperor". The version they played at the show was great, so I thought I'd share it and get these guys some exposure.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Sea Bastard's new album, Scabrous, is pretty drat heavy. Not usually a fan of death metal vocals in doom metal, but they kind of make it work.

And Ladybird's Spliff & Wesson came out in August, but I just heard about it. Two tracks, first one is 24 minutes of mainly-instrumental doom, second one is the first played in reverse.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 13, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Slovenian band Mist released a two-song demo a couple of weeks ago, and it sounds pretty good if you like traditional heavy metal worship. Nice tone to it, too.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Juaguocio posted:

Anyone have any nominations for album of the year? For me, it's From The Ages by Earthless, with Mario Rubalcaba as MVP.
Gonna go with Ladybird's Spliff & Wesson, because a.) I really expect that people will associate it with Dopesmoker in the future, and b.) all my other picks for this year are just reissues of stuff that initially had tiny runs (otherwise, Bell Witch's Longing would run away with it).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
These Celophys guys are pretty good. Ukrainian stoner doom duo, and their first album, Triassic Desert, is name-your-price.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The new Major Kong album, Doom Machine, is really loving good, as far as instrumental doom metal goes. Not quite to Bongripper levels, but very close. Full album comes out on the 20th.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just came across the first(?) album by Space God Ritual, Eldritch Tales. If you want to hear Saint Vitus, Pentagram, Black Sabbath, and H.P. Lovecraft (the writer, not the psychedelic band) in a blender, this is basically that.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Slavestate is a good follow-up to Streetcleaner. Just avoid Hymns.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Juaguocio posted:

Best album from a band with Bong in its name, by the way.
A phrase designed to create dissent among doom fans.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
While top 10 lists are generally poo poo, OC Weekly's Top 10 Stoner Metal Bands list really dropped the ball.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
For expansive-sounding doom that's come out this year, Disenchanter's On Through Portals and Below's Across The Dark River were both pretty good.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So, we're 7 months in, what's been your favourite S/D/S releases (albums or singles) of the year?
There's been a lot of good stuff so far. Here's some that seems to be low on word-of-mouth, but is worth checking out.

Asilo - Comunión (experimental doom/sludge)
Zeppheroin - Methadone Jesus (sludge)
Sunwølf - Beholden To Nothing And No One (atmospheric doom)
Monolith - Louder (stoner rock)
Toke - Demo (stoner doom)
Hesperian Death Horse - Mrtav (black sludge)
Aleph Null - Nocturnal (psychedelic doom)
Disenchanter - On Through Portals (traditional doom)
Major Kong - Doom Machine (instrumental doom)

plus Dopelord - Black Arts, Riff Worship & Weed Cult

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I couldn't remember these being mentioned around here yet, so.

From Deep Space - Brunhilde (stoner rock)

Merlin - Christ Killer (psychedelic desert doom)

Clouds Taste Satanic - To Sleep Beyond The Earth (stoner doom)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just a few short things I've come across recently and enjoyed.

Manthrass - S/T EP (heavy rock/stoner rock)

Weed Priest - Worship EP (stoner doom)

Humbaba - Possessed By Visions / The Ritual (stoner doom)

And +
Uroboros - Misantropía & Blasfemia and Herejía & Exilio (death sludge)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Get the other Acid Bath album in the OP. Also Cough's Ritual Abuse, Bell Witch's Longing, and Dopelord's Black Arts, Riff Worship & Weed Cult.
For bands in general, Salem's Pot and Major Kong.

e: Alphabetizing the essential albums by band name would be nice for browsing purposes.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 31, 2014

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Drop Out Of Life

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Dyna Soar posted:

kind of a bad year for heavy music overall.
Haha, not even close. Here's just a few of the good things that have come out this year.

STONER
Mount Salem - Endless (heavy rock)
Mindwarp - Mindwarp EP (heavy psychedelic)
Brunt - Brunt (stoner rock)
Slowbot - Slowbot EP (stoner rock)
Aleph Null - Nocturnal (stoner rock)
Jupiter Zeus - On Earth (psychedelic stoner rock)
Powered Wig Machine - Supa-Collider (desert/fuzz rock)
Monolith - Louder (heavy rock)
Hjortene - Hjortene (stoner rock)
1000mods - Vultures (heavy rock)
Dwellers - Pagan Fruit (stoner rock)
Canyon - Canyon (psychedelic stoner rock)
SautruS - Reed: Chapter One (stoner rock)
Dot Legacy - Dot Legacy (fuzz rock)
Lewis & The Strange Magics - Demo (psychedelic doom rock)
CHILD - Demo (psychedelic rock)
Billy Tsounis - Nefelibata (experimental psychedelic rock)
Kalamata - You (psychedelic doom rock)
3rd Ear Experience - Incredible Good Fortune (psychedelic rock)
Hijo de la Tormenta - Hijo de la Tormenta (fuzz prog)
Nightosaur - Set Fire To The Mountain (stoner metal)
Syreregn - Skabt Vaerk Består (psychedelic rock)
The Grand Astoria / Montenegro - The Body Limits / El Matadero (heavy psychedelic rock)

DOOM
Major Kong - Doom Machine (instrumental doom)
Mammoth Storm - Rites of Ascension (doom metal)
Druglord - Enter Venus (psychedelic doom)
Disenchanter - On Through Portals (doom metal)
Pilgrim - II: Void Worship (traditional-ish doom)
Salem's Pot - ...Lurar Ut Dig På Prärien (psychedelic doom)
Inwoods - Slow Season EP (stoner doom)
Demon Head - Demo 2014 (traditional doom)
Sunwølf - Beholden To Nothing And No One (atmospheric doom)
Funeral Horse - Sinister Rites Of The Master (thrash rock doom)
Eternal Candle - Single (doom metal)
Mind (((O))) Reader / Ksyatriya - TRUTH (psychedelic drone doom)
Thaw / Echoes Of Yul - Untitled Split (atmospheric doom)
Black Hand Throne - IV (stoner doom)
The Sleer - The Sleer (blackened doom)
Merlin - Christ Killer (psychedelic desert doom)
Seritas - Seritas (garage doom)
Wolf Blood - Wolf Blood (stoner doom rock)

SLUDGE
Grey Widow - I (blackened sludge)
Hazarder / Hesperian Death Horse - The Electric Wizard (sludge)
NAGA - HĒN (blackened doom sludge)
Zeppheroin - Methadone Jesus (sludge)
Narcosatanicos - Narcosatanicos (acid sludge)
le bomje - Warehouse (sludge)
Lightsucker - Carved In Cockstone (doom sludge)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Bomg - Polynseeds
Heavy stoner doom with some great riffs. Father and son team, allegedly.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Solefald posted:

Starting up some work putting on bands in the UK. I'm really behind on my doom metal though, any recommendations for interesting small bands?

We are throwing most of our money at the bigger bands from the likes of the US, but it'd be goof to check out some that could be decent supports for tours or one offs.
Vodun (UK), Sunwølf (UK), and Weed Priest (Ireland) are probably worth a listen.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just came across these guys and their new album, felt it was worth sharing.

Snake Thursday - Iter (stoner/desert/heavy rock)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Third volume of the Riding With The Devil compilation series dropped today, currently available as pay-what-you-want. All the artists on it released something last year, so it's a good cross-section of stuff that might have flown under your radar.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Vol. 4 of the Riding With The Devil compilation series came out today, currently as pay-what-you-want.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Currently enjoying Satori Junk's new album, sounds in line with the likes of Electric Wizard and Dopelord.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Laserface posted:

I have been listening to Orchid a bit lately, and while I am enjoying them, the lyrics are all pretty repetitive. He uses Brain/mind/lies/eyes/sleep like every second line.
Yeah, the lyrics were what killed any interest in Orchid for me, with "marching dogs of war" being the breaking point on the first album.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Cough have announced they're starting work on a third album, can't wait to hear how they follow up on Ritual Abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Enjoying the new Headless Kross album quite a bit.

Volumes

Extensive sludge/doom riffing.