Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

if I still lived in RVA I'd be there but it's been a few years now. I am glad to see a cool venue like that popped up, after Strange Matter closed things looked bleak. even if it is also sad Black Sheep went away :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ozrics are the poo poo. a few months ago I got in a Lyft and the driver was playing them and I was like holy poo poo are you playing Ozric Tentacles and he was like hell yeah I saw em in like 1996. my friends were like who tf is Ozric Tentacles and now they know. Spirals in Hyperspace and Waterfall Cities are some of my faves.

I would support utilizing the psych thread because it's good but maybe it would be ok to roll it in here as theres such overlap, in both fanbase and sound?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Eat The Rich posted:

Forming the Void and Old Man Wizard tonight!

I was maybe gonna go to this but then I got sick rip. Old Man Wizard is cool, I saw Francis play dungeon synth earlier this year and it was real fun. Have fuuuunnn

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Inter Arma is sick live. at least they were 6 years ago opening for Gorguts, which remains the best metal show I've been to. I imagine with all the new material they've put out since the it will be grand.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wovenhand is cool because I can recommend his earlier stuff to people who like folky music and his later stuff to people who like heavy music. The first album is really good!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

On Dark Horses is a really neat and accessible album, listen to that a few times!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

hey this is cool, Al Cisneros is selling signed Sleep stuff to help Windhand get new stuff

https://mobile.twitter.com/om_bandadvaitic/status/1195543981465071616

if you've ever wanted to spend hundreds of dollars on a Sleep lp now's your chance!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Candlemass got nominated for a Grammy lol

too bad they'll lose to Tool or this garbage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2EjeMx4bSg

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

sick as hell where did you find it? I haven't found any good record shops around SD that have much good used metal or punk :(

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

he did a show with Weedeater recently right? Kool Keith is just metal y'know

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mammoth weed wizard bastard put out a dope album last year they're good folks

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

stoner metal jams? listen to Earthless my friends

maybe theyre more just psych jam rock but idk they get heavy

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ingmar terdman posted:

Time to spin the Oranssi Pazuzu that just came out

it's good as hell

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hatebag posted:

I first heard acid bath like 20 years ago and never gave a poo poo about em despite listening to a ton of other sludge and then tonight it clicked and acid bath fuckin rules hell yeah

check out Agents of Oblivion too there's one album and some demos that are better than the album versions

it's pretty fun to go through Dax Riggs's career trajectory from sludge metal to bluesy rock to indie rock to singer songwriter stuff

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

hatelull posted:

Bell Witch and Aerial Ruin are collaborating on a new project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXoMEZQwhgk

Sounds tasty, but I really liked Mirror Reaper and am unfamiliar with Aerial Ruin.

Aerial Ruin guy contributed vocals to a few Bell Witch releases already so glad to see more, his solo stuff is real cool folky stuff that you should definitely check out

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

huh apparently Witchcraft has an acoustic album coming out on Friday? called Black Metal?

there is a song called Free Country and I really hope its a Witchfinder General cover

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

unknown butthole posted:

I feel like there could be no other time to get into doom metal or sludge metal or stoner metal or anything that feels so corrosive to life itself. I am a man who embodies sorrow and hatred and my music taste reflects it. I spend my days getting high or drunk . When i'm sober, i'm riding a motorcycle. I love it all. I don't ever feel bad about being dark or being unaware about the parts of life that suck. I just feel like a skeleton whose skin is made up from these songs.

gonna light a candle, turn off the lights, and listen to uhhh Khanate

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Iommi downtuning because of his hosed up finger is like the first lesson of metal 101, that guy dumb lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Varg posted:

um, Still They Pray owns. Have you not seen Cough play that stuff live? cause goddamn

yeah gonna bat for Cough here all their poo poo is incredibly good

I love Parker's weird whiny voice

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Darthemed posted:

The S/D/S band name arms race continues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aku0Eqn5m24

nice

im gonna take the stance that "Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard" cannot be topped tho

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Cursive and (especially) Pinback are both good so im cool with it

drat I really love Pinback

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I opened the Pallbearer Bandcamp page on Friday and snagged the last cassette pre-order so I'm feeling good, song's good too

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

today I learned about a band called Daevar that appears to be an exact clone of Windhand, like they sound exactly the same, it's kind of impressive. I legit thought they were covering Windhand songs.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Tenth anniversary of Dopelord’s Black Arts, Riff Worship & Weed Cult today. If you’re a fan of stoner doom and haven’t heard this one, give it a go.

its a great one. Addicted to Black Magick into Preacher Electrick is like my favorite opening punch in stoner doom. real perfection of the form.

listening to Huntsmen and their two albums are decent and feels like if they get it really right a third could be truly great. reminds me of a doomy take on Cobalt but without quite the same punch.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

there was a period of a whole lot of sort of similar sounding female-fronted doomy/occult rock/Sabbath clone bands popping up around 2010. the only ones I still really listen to are Blood Ceremony, Electric Citizen, and Purson but there are legit so many.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

oh yeah Jex Thoth rips I listen to them a lot still too. only found out years later that she was married to Jackson Toth from Wooden Wand who was also part of the group. he has some neat stuff.

Witch Mountain is another one my faves, I'm not as keen on their newer singer as the old one but all their stuff is good. Mobile of Angels is a 10/10 album.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

RIP Steve Albini, who produced so many great heavy albums 😔

aw gently caress. one of the greatest there ever was. time to play a lot of Shellac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Kyuss is great