Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Bongripper - Worship/Satan/Doom
and
YOB - Ball of Molten Lead

These songs have been about the only thing I've listened to for almost a week straight. They're goddamn beautiful pieces of music and have ruined most other music for me lately. Any suggestions for more of this beautiful poo poo? I have the typical Orange Goblin, Electric Wizard discog but eh. I've played them out.

I really can't overstate how good Ball of Molten Lead is. This song blows me away each and every time. It's great.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

cheap sunglasses posted:

Sorry to bring up gearchat again but speaking of the Microcube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xKzcjGXHw&t=96s

That fuzz pedal is so gnarly it's unmistakable even through a tiny-rear end practice amp.

I wish I had enough money to trade my stupid (bad investment!!!!) bass guitar in for a real man's electric guitar. That is loving awesome.

Also, doom metal is loving awesome. I've listened to so much YOB and Bongripper that my head is crushed into a stoned pulp and I haven't even heard them high.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Okay okay okay... you guys have talked me into pulling the bass guitar and amp out of the garage. I'll keep it up and maybe try to find a really cheap effects pedal to play around with to give it some doomin' crunch.

As for that fellow a few posts up - doom/stoner stuff won't really make you jaded because it seems to be the most entertaining genre in metal. I've gone through thrash, death, melodic death, avante-garde, and post metal but none of those genres have kept me interested and excited as long as doom/stoner stuff has. There's some great creativity and raw soul in the genre.

I'm really glad this thread got me off Aphex Twin's tit and got me back to the real poo poo. I didn't really like The Great Cessation though. Too slow, too repetitive. Maybe I need to be more blazed.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 29, 2011

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I'm totally digging Acid King, but I have to ask for some music advice. At the end of Bongripper - Satan, starting at 9:30, the outro to the song begins and it's seriously one of my all-time favourite pieces of music. I was wondering if there are any doom metal bands that specialize in that sound... Electric Wizard has a similar sound at times, but most of the more hard-rocking bands sound too upbeat or fast.

Also, I tuned my bass guitar down a full-step and started playing around with the blues scale. I'm so loving glad you guys talked me out of getting rid of my bass guitar. Goddamn. I love this thing right now. It sounds so loving heavy when tuned down a step. Do you need a special type of effects box for bass, or do regular electric guitar boxes work well with bass?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Dyna Soar posted:

Try tuning it to C too, it's pretty common as well. Might be pushing it unless you get heavier gauge strings though. I play in C with .130 - .65, it's basically a 5 string set on a 4 string. Tension is perfect for the tuning and I could go lower if i wanted to.

For effects yeah you either need a tube amp or a distortion / fuzz box. Some bands like EHG for example have a clean bass but it's not that common. I've got a Bad Monkey (guitar pedal but works with bass. More of a booster than a fuzz though), Bass Muff (good fuzz if a bit generic. Well worth the 80 bucks) and a Boss ODB-3 (I use this one. I've got an Orange Terror Bass head and a distortion pedal sounds better than a fuzz). If you want a cheap, ok fuzz check out Behringer pedals. They break in 6 months but if you only play at home one should be durable enough.

I don't think I can drop to C because my strings get too sloppy, but maybe when I can grab some bigger strings I'll try it out.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to look into a Behringer pedal just because I'm a budget bass player so it sounds perfect for me.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

cheap sunglasses posted:

Behringer's a pretty terrible company and all they do is steal other companies' designs and switch the parts out with the cheapest Radio Shack crap they can find. But if you're buying a fuzz pedal, the SF300 is supposedly a clone of the Boss FZ-2, which is the Electric Wizard pedal. The Boss ODB-3 works great with bass and guitar. King Buzzo's live setup is an ODB-3 through Sunn preamps.

I would buy from more respectable, but I'm seriously broke and I can barely play my bass. The one I bought came with a Behringer amp and, in all honesty, it has a nice sound for how cheap it was. This Behringer Superfuzz looks pretty cool as well, so thanks for the tip. I was hoping to find something under the $50 mark and this looks like it fits the budget.

E: I swear reality changed on me. I never, EVER noticed the tentacles on the cover for Dopesmoker for years and years. It's only today, looking at the cover art, that I realize what it actually is. I could have sworn for years that it was just a Mongol or Arab riding a horse with his army behind him. What the gently caress is wrong with my eyes?

Faffel fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 1, 2011

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

http://thegrandastoria.bandcamp.com/album/caesar-enters-the-palace-of-doom

Has this little band been posted yet? Found it on a blog. Very neat tunage going on here.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Zoben posted:

They're reforming? gently caress yeah! "The Gibbetted Captain Kidd" is literally one of my favorite songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJmKkZADgyk

Never heard of these guys but this is cool. 'Too redneck' doesn't exist for stoner metal.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Sleep is loud because they're both tonewhores and just absolutely need four different cabs running cranked amps. And that's cool.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrMR5_O2YMg

I still listen to this band all the time. poo poo rules.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Best name, best album name

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

That chicks voice is fuckin' cool when she gets some growling into it. Reminds me kind of the Agrimonia lady.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Stanislav Petrov died recently. Some article was published because someone phoned to wish him a happy birthday and his son told him he was dead. Either way it reminded me of this Beehoover song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I_rEaOcfOw

It's a cool song.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 18, 2017

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Saw sleep live Sunday in my own home town at the club I saw my first concert in. loving amazing. First show with concert full frequency earplugs too and it was a goddamn glorious event.

Matt Pike's sweaty butt cleavage in person.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I don't know how they work but it's loving amazing. It was so loud but my ears didn't ring at all after. They basically cut the decibel level and then cut off some of the most damaging frequencies, but it leaves the sound and volume very much intact.

They're just called musician or concert earplugs. You should be able to find them on Amazon or at music stores for around thirty bucks. I got ones by Vic Firth myself.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 4, 2019

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Kvlt! posted:

:2bong: I'm fully convinced at this point Al has been taking the spice melange from Dune for years now. I don't know how he found it but he has a huge stash and is constantly expanding consciousness.

He has such a weird aura about him. Seeing Cisneros in person being the weirdo he is in all the videos I've watched was super surreal. Dude rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Zoben posted:

I don't know how many Wo Fat fans we have in here, but they're releasing their new album in May and preorders are open now. I finished the cover for it a while ago but they just announced now. It was a cool project. I wasn't too jazzed about the band name/lettering frankly, I made a more clean logo since I thought the contrast with the organic shapes would look kinda cool but they wanted something amorphous to fill up the space, so there we are. Didn't want to derail this thread with too much of my art and such, this one just happened to get finished as well recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE6JOZTgxxc

This is beyond sick