Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Holy poo poo, just discovered Lingua Ignotia.

Its like a more organic, electroliturgical female Author&Punisher or something, have no idea how to classify it. Might not fit here, but there's some drone influence, lots of noise, and she toured with The Body.

And her backstory is insane, I'm not the right person to try to explain it, but Noisey did a decent article on her: https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/kzqzwn/lingua-ignotas-liturgical-noise-is-a-celebration-of-obliteration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVGMJPQNZ34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

A human heart posted:

you should post about her in the industrial/noise thread since that doesn't get hardly any traffic and there's really nothing doomy about her music

Will do! I actually didn't even realize there was an industrial/noise thread. Thanks!

I kinda disagree about the last part though. Her music draws from some of the same religious imagery and funerary feelings that have run as an undercurrent in SDS, and while she's making circuit bending orchestral operatic screaming stuff, I can't really disconnect that from the doom side of things.

She's not making doom, but holy hell is she reaching into an utterly bleak and profound/profane place to make her music. And isn't flipping religion's shibboleths on its side a big part of the foundation of sds music to begin with?

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

drat, I am so glad I got to catch HoF when they recorded their two NYC shows for the live albums, and then Sleep at Terminal 5 around the same time.

That was 2013 or so and he was lookin pretty unhealthy, sucks to hear it's diabetes takin his extremities.

Toes on Fire? High on Insulin? I'll let myself out now...

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Laserface posted:

He's been off the drink for a long time now but yeah it's obviously had lasting effects on his overall health.

It's sucks because he's never played better than that last few times I've seen them. Hopefully he gets on top of it.

Yeah, the performances I saw were really good - but really, what's with SDS guys and losing toes? Didn't Dixie Dave from Weedeater also do the same?

E: I guess feet don't help you smoke weed, so they're not that important.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Blast Fantasto posted:

Having a foot amputated is pretty metal, but not yet as metal as when the dude from Slayer had flesh eating disease (RIP)

What is the most metal of injuries? I imagine each genre has its own hierarchy of wounds/diseases, so let's stick to SDS.

If some sludge guy got stuck in a furnace, I feel that would take the cake. Maybe a stoner dude dying from his hydro grow collapsing on him? No clue about doom guys, though if Ahab got eaten by a whale I don't think anything could ever top it.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

those are all pretty :rock: ways to go, lol.

Black metal might have the cake as a genre, just because frozen Norway and insane right wing = death?

It's prob morbid, but I'd rather have a rube-goldbergian weed mishap that makes people laugh, at least my death could then inspire band/album/song names like The Suffocating Nug or Necroponics.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

If only Bong was playing at that show, we'd have the bongband trifecta.

E: also once again, thanks to whomever in this thread came up with the "Slothful Bong" band name (like 2010 or 2011 iirc?). There were a couple other ones that were pretty good, but this one is just the perfect encapsulation of this style of music.

Slothful Bong fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 28, 2019

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Holy crap, I haven't thought of Gozu since like 2011, didn't even realize they were still around.

Heard their music from the stonerobixxx blogspot thing, where sds bands would send him their records and he'd toss 'em up for review/download.

So so many amazing smaller sds bands sent in their stuff, and it bums me that's no longer a thing.

I first found Annapurna, Kamni, Year of no Light, Warhorse, Adrift for Days, Tank86, MAJOR KONG, and Snailking, among many many others.

Are there still any places that do that? Collate/collect music from small bands to give them wayyyy more exposure?

Slothful Bong fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 29, 2019

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Shakenbaker posted:

The Obelisk has long been my go-to for that sort of thing. That guy does the lord's work when it comes to tracking everything in the SDS world.

Oh yesss!!!! This seems to be what I was looking for!

Open to any other ones anyone else has too, once robi got shut down I gave up looking since there were too many pirate only blogspots. The more places sharing underground SDS, the better!

And it'll give me a place to send my music so they can wonder why I'm combining djent and sds and give it 1/5 stars, lol.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Haha I was JUST listening to "witches on my Land" and discovered they had a new song!

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

I'm in CT, Southwest part of state - not sure where that venue is in relation to me, but if I'm still in CT at that time, will def be there and can offer up a couch or something if needed.

Also, just discovered Somali Yacht Club.

Ukraine, Poland, and Russia have been putting out the most incredible psych stoner the past 10 years, my god.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Can we just sleep in the cave?

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Some of my friends released an album a few weeks ago, it's instrumental sludgy stuff, with a bit (a lot) of post metal influence :

http://sullustct.bandcamp.com/album/patience-is-resistance

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Pls dont kill Mike's gut, I want more Yob in the future :ohdear:

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Just happened to check out the St. Vitus newsletter, found out Thou is playing there this Sunday, and a matinee at that so I can actually handle work the next day! $15 tickets as well, so awesome all around.

They're playing with Emma Ruth Rundle. Not really sure the setup, tickets say it's one band though so I assume she'll be singing? Other band is Winkie, who I think pops up at St. Vitus a bit, but not familiar with them either.

Last time I saw Thou was in someone's garage in CT, that was a loving incredible and sweaty experience, so psyched about this.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

God drat, Thou + Emma Ruth Rundle were awesome. Best way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Snowy posted:

Yeah that was great, I wish there were more matinee shows!

Kinda wish the lead vocalist would branch out a little but Rundle and the other guitarist/vocalist rounded it out really well.

I assume official St. Vitus vids will be up at some point, but someone tossed up a couple songs already! Their cover of The Cranberries "Hollywood" was drat incredible, and the sound at Vitus was pretty spot on as always. I'm hoping with all my being they release an album of this stuff, this has been the most unexpected awesome collab I've heard in a very long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy-p1mSKGAw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nVhI7ldARs

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Just got back from Sunn o))) :psyboom:

They played for like 2 hours, it went from strange to punishing to profound.

Was prob the loudest show I've ever been to. with earplugs it was bordering on uncomfortably loud, I pity the people who came unprepared.

And holy gently caress the lights and fog!

Really enjoyed it, 5/5 would see again.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

We didn't have anyone pass out or anything at the show, but I did see a handful of people walk out with pained faces throughout the set, and my buddy kept on having to take breaks because his foam ear plugs weren't enough.

The encore was a cool extra thing too!

Half the crowd left before it, but I recalled someone here mentioning an encore at a prior show, so we stuck around and got another 20-30 minutes of sound massage.

I'm definitely gonna catch them again any time they play nearby, as a whole the experience was more ritual than concert, and I'd love to just find a spot to sit and close my eyes and absorb the vibrations.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Cult of Luna, Intronaut, and Emma Ruth Rundle are touring US in early 2020!!!!!!

https://music.mxdwn.com/2019/10/02/news/cult-of-luna-announces-winter-2020-tour-dates-with-emma-ruth-rundle-and-intronaut/

I am so thoroughly drat excited about this. CoL is one of the last bands on my show bucket list, and this bill is just drat incredible. Now to pray Master Musicians of Bukkake, Ahab, and Cloudkicker go on tours again so I can die happy.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Wark Say posted:

Hello fellow goons. Question: Is there a recent-ish Stoner band/record that you can recommend that's not allergic to extended range guitars/basses (7 or 8 strings, mostly)?

This is something I've been trying to get together myself for like a decade now, lol. But I'm in New England and there's like no one else nearby that is both into SDS and is comfortable with ERGs.

There's a ton of low tuned bands I know you're aware of (one of the Bongripper guitarists uses a 7 now iirc and they're in F, Thou is in drop F or F#), but for the most part it seems to be baritone sixes, often tuned to A (or the eponymous drop C).

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Dead Roots Stirring has to be my favorite Elder song/album. That drat riff towards the end is so incredible, one of the “perfect” stoner riffs in my mind.

Did not really like the new stuff, I just want more of them rocking out in a super dark, heavy way.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Primitive Man is perfect for these trying times, if you want to rage against the void. Just pure misanthropy and aural assault:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ4f15Xxnpk

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

hatelull posted:

How does one qualify as biggest? I'd see Bongripper in a heartbeat for sure, and would definitely not sleep on an Inter Arma show.

In SDS, all bands take the highest spot!

I’ve caught most of the bands I’ve wanted to, but there’s 3 still on my bucket list:

1. Master Musicians of Bukkake
2. Ahab
3. Major Kong

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Hypnolobster posted:

ERR/Thou is out and just the first track is immediately my favorite thing this year. God drat what an incredible combination.

e: KC does vocals too. What an album.

This is sooooo good, this is on par with CoL/Julie Christmas - Mariner for “loving amazing collabs”

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Man, King Buffalo is not what I expected based on their name. Was expecting derivative psych, instead I got an excellent love letter to 90's alternative with some nice sludgy bits.

It's like someone tossed Tool, Porcupine Tree, QOTSA, and Red Fang into a blender, and somehow that combo works.

Laserface posted:

Elder is probably the only evidence I have ever found of a singer un-learning how to sing.

lmao, I was almost sure they'd gotten a new singer or let the drummer sing or something

Slothful Bong fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 14, 2021

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Henchman of Santa posted:

The weird thing about Neurosis’ vocals is that Scott and Steve sound exactly the same. I’ve seen them live three times and can’t differentiate them. Do they just choose who gets the lead based on whoever was the primary songwriter?

Lmao there’s two dudes singing in neurosis?? I legit thought it was all Scott

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Yob’s got four days at st Vitus end of feb: https://dice.fm/bundles/four-nights-of-yob-at-saint-vitus-j7g9

I’m bummed I now live in Florida, otherwise I’d be at all four days. So for you tri-state goons, enjoy the gently caress outta that for me!

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Yeah holy poo poo NSB is one of my favorite bands, and more stuff like them but heavier would be incredible.

I’m genuinely surprised to see more than 0 people here know of them lol, my friend told me about shadow kingdom 15 years ago and I haven’t found anyone else who’s heard of ‘em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

cryptoclastic posted:

Dead Roots Stirring is such a good album.

dead roots stirring and III are straight up perfect songs, they hit gold with the riffing there