Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

poop dood posted:

I wanna go to that just for Lightning Bolt, Church of Misery and Bongripper being in the same place. And loving Machine Girl?

Speaking of which, when was the last time someone posted Church of Misery in this thread?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvm_rB60gF0

Unadulterated Japanese Sabbath worship. Pure riffy bliss.

What's the current status of the band? I didn't know that Tatsu had found new band members. I really enjoyed Scott Carlson providing vocals for his last album. Church of Repulsion indeed. Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

What's the current status of the band? I didn't know that Tatsu had found new band members. I really enjoyed Scott Carlson providing vocals for his last album. Church of Repulsion indeed. Good stuff.

Active with all new, all Japanese band members. The vocalist is apparently in a sludge band called Sithter.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I only know Lightning Bolt because their song Dream Genie was in Rock Band

I dig that song, where should I start with them?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
ride the skies is a fun album. i really havent listened to them beyond that & seeing them a couple of times like 15+ years ago. they're definitely a "live" band imo especially when i saw them touring with the locust/arab on radar and they did their signature "stealth set up in the crowd while another band is playing" and immediately start their set when the last band ends and it's always a lot of fun.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

kumba posted:

Earthly Delights would be my pick, then work backwards from there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

kumba posted:

This song and then the rest of the album Fantasy Empire. That was my route into them.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Looking forward to seeing whatever version of CoM at MDF Doom Thursday. And just because I've been wanting to post it, here's a pic that reminds me of going back to Deathfest on Friday and hanging out with the drunk death metal guys even though I have no idea what they are talking about

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m so burned out on serial killer stuff from many years of noise/power electronics that CoM wears thin fast, kind of wish they’d drop it. Even the weed/bong bands don’t do every single song about weed.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Imagine not listening to a stoner doom band because of the lyrics

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Snowy posted:

I’m so burned out on serial killer stuff from many years of noise/power electronics that CoM wears thin fast, kind of wish they’d drop it. Even the weed/bong bands don’t do every single song about weed.

I had no clue what their lyrical focus was until I just looked it up and now It’s time for my true crime junkie rear end to finally get into them. Thanks for posting that, lol

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

nerve posted:

Imagine not listening to a stoner doom band because of the lyrics

Don’t they include lots of snippets of killers talking about their crimes? That’s more of what I’m talking about. I barely know the lyrics to my favorite songs :v:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Snowy posted:

Don’t they include lots of snippets of killers talking about their crimes? That’s more of what I’m talking about. I barely know the lyrics to my favorite songs :v:

True true you right they use a lot of samples

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Church of Misery might be the best riff/groove writing band around

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're so fuuuuucking groovy man. The Hell Benders.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Megalomania is probably my reigning favorite Church of Misery song, poo poo's so goodhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVEob6Ed6j0

I can see not getting that it's all serial killers because if you've only ever heard Neggy on vocals he's practically unintelligible even if he's in english. He loving rules but he's got a thick accent along with sounding like he survives on nothing but cigarettes and whisky.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

Megalomania is probably my reigning favorite Church of Misery song, poo poo's so goodhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVEob6Ed6j0

I can see not getting that it's all serial killers because if you've only ever heard Neggy on vocals he's practically unintelligible even if he's in english. He loving rules but he's got a thick accent along with sounding like he survives on nothing but cigarettes and whisky.

He does but also all of the songs have serial killers' names in the title and all the album covers have serial killers on them

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Hell yeah. This might just be my favorite track of theirs, and it's a great example of their riff power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdUdx4gi4yo

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

He does but also all of the songs have serial killers' names in the title and all the album covers have serial killers on them

Well yeah but I feel like that's also kinda standard metal poo poo :shrug: Kinda like putting pictures of the devil on your album, you know?

And speaking of the devil, Windhand is pretty good live you guys.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

Well yeah but I feel like that's also kinda standard metal poo poo :shrug: Kinda like putting pictures of the devil on your album, you know?

Not as a theme across your entire discography! But they do come up.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Not as a theme across your entire discography! But they do come up.

Admittedly I’ve never listened to them a ton but :lol: @ me missing that somehow

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Holy crap, I haven't thought of Gozu since like 2011, didn't even realize they were still around.

Heard their music from the stonerobixxx blogspot thing, where sds bands would send him their records and he'd toss 'em up for review/download.

So so many amazing smaller sds bands sent in their stuff, and it bums me that's no longer a thing.

I first found Annapurna, Kamni, Year of no Light, Warhorse, Adrift for Days, Tank86, MAJOR KONG, and Snailking, among many many others.

Are there still any places that do that? Collate/collect music from small bands to give them wayyyy more exposure?

Slothful Bong fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 29, 2019

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The Obelisk has long been my go-to for that sort of thing. That guy does the lord's work when it comes to tracking everything in the SDS world.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Shakenbaker posted:

The Obelisk has long been my go-to for that sort of thing. That guy does the lord's work when it comes to tracking everything in the SDS world.

Oh yesss!!!! This seems to be what I was looking for!

Open to any other ones anyone else has too, once robi got shut down I gave up looking since there were too many pirate only blogspots. The more places sharing underground SDS, the better!

And it'll give me a place to send my music so they can wonder why I'm combining djent and sds and give it 1/5 stars, lol.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
gently caress it, here's a big post for show dates. Semi-depressing going through all the band pages and seeing how many of them just quietly threw in the towel.

First batch of Ufomammut double-decade dates:
27.03.19 Munich / Feierwerk
28.03.19 Leipzig / UT Connewitz
29.03.19 Rostock / Mau Club
30.03.19 Hamburg / MarX
31.03.19 Drachten / Iduna
02.04.19 Dortmund / Junkyard
03.04.19 Nijmegen / Doornroosje
05.04.19 Winterthur / Gaswerk

Fakir Thongs:
17/02-Spazio Eco-Casalecchio (Bo)
22/02-Arci Dude-Soliera (mo)
22/04 - ALTROQUANDO - Maximum Festival

Earthless:

Humulus:

Monolord:

Body Void & Yarrow:

Major Kong, Dopelord, Spaceslug & Weedpecker:

February
1st
2nd:
7th
8th:
10th
12th
15th
16th:
21st:
22nd:
23rd:

March
1st:
2nd
8th
13th
23rd:
28th
28th through 30th
29th through 30th

April
5th
6th
11th and 13th
14th
19th
19th through 21st
20th
26th

May
5th
10th
15th
17th & 18th

June
15th
20th through 23rd

August
8th through 10th
8th through 11th

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I was gonna say props for the effort but on top of that I found a local show (and found out about Ilsa getting their poo poo stolen)

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Slothful Bong posted:

Heard their music from the stonerobixxx blogspot thing, where sds bands would send him their records and he'd toss 'em up for review/download.

R.I.P. Stonerobixxx. You're truly missed and thanks for sharing all the doom.

WARNING: NSFW for nipple. I loved all the covers they used to put out with their best of compilations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Good job on the effortpost!

Semi-related, I'm incredibly pissed at missing a show by Ruby The Hatchet recently. It's entirely due to having quit Facebook a year ago and therefore having no good way of keeping up with small bands, i.e. the ones who need the most support. Email-based lists have gone away, Songkick was never reliable in my experience, Twitter is way worse than Facebook. What's left, Bandcamp? That's seemingly the only remaining option, and either they didn't use it to announce the tour or I turned off the announcements by accident.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Trabant posted:

Good job on the effortpost!

Semi-related, I'm incredibly pissed at missing a show by Ruby The Hatchet recently. It's entirely due to having quit Facebook a year ago and therefore having no good way of keeping up with small bands, i.e. the ones who need the most support. Email-based lists have gone away, Songkick was never reliable in my experience, Twitter is way worse than Facebook. What's left, Bandcamp? That's seemingly the only remaining option, and either they didn't use it to announce the tour or I turned off the announcements by accident.
You can use the bandsintown app and link it to music streaming services or just manually enter whatever band you want to track and it will give you recommended shows around you based on what you're tracking. Facebook works well with it though, you just 'Like' band pages and then they get added to the app.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

i usually check Spotify for bigger bands and if im just looking for shows, the Reader in my town posts just about everything except one bar.

Didnt know about bandsintown. def gonna try it out.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
you could just make a dummy fb account with none of your personal information on it tied to a throwaway email address and keep up with poo poo that way, i know some folks who have abandoned FB mostly but still do that

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Someone name your band Mark Zuckerbong

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Then dissolve it and reform as Zuckerbong Mk. II.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Darthemed posted:

gently caress it, here's a big post for show dates. Semi-depressing going through all the band pages and seeing how many of them just quietly threw in the towel.

Clouds Taste Satanic is one of the funniest band names i've seen in a minute

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Darthemed posted:

gently caress it, here's a big post for show dates.

poo poo yeah, I'll be at Body Void/Yarrow, then CoC/Weedeater/Crowbar the next night.

Slothful Bong posted:

Holy crap, I haven't thought of Gozu since like 2011, didn't even realize they were still around.

So so many amazing smaller sds bands sent in their stuff, and it bums me that's no longer a thing.

I first found Annapurna, Kamni, Year of no Light, Warhorse, Adrift for Days, Tank86, MAJOR KONG, and Snailking, among many many others.

Are there still any places that do that? Collate/collect music from small bands to give them wayyyy more exposure?

I remember going through the "Stonerrock.com Jukebox" and finding so many cool bands. I think that's the first place I heard Orange Goblin, Sgt. Sunshine, Isis, Greenleaf, etc.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I'm going to 4 of those shows, and playing 2 of them, good looking out sir!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Late addition, drat stoners.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Darthemed posted:

Really wish they'd do a US tour.

e: this is such a great vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYfJuW282_I

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Darthemed posted:

Thanks for the huge thread, that ruled and I found a few nyc area shows I didn’t know about :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
They tried! I had tickets!