Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Beastmaker dude is a huge loving prick. I’m glad the band is gone.

Who, Trevor? I'm friends with him on FB for some reason but I don't know him personally and have never met him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

I'm going to this one, you going? Looking forward to seeing them and remembering most of it, much unlike their 4/20 show in Madison at the Majestic

SLEEP + BIG BUSINESS: 06/03 Madison, WI – The Sylvee

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
With "Bong Mountain" being released by "The Wizard of Bong Mountain" which contains one riff being repeated for about an hour and twenty minutes, I'm afraid that the genre has reached its peak, everyone must now go home. Sorry. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzIe415YegE

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

butros posted:

I thought this was a “SDS songs all sound the same” post but holy poo poo it’s literally one riff for the whole thing.

Yep. The drums change though! It's funny how the song has "sections" on the Bandcamp link. If this ain't some kinda meta-parody-satire horseshit like the kids do these days, then I just don't know what's what https://thewizardofbongmountain.bandcamp.com/releases

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Ingmar terdman posted:

Hearing loss is real protect yaself

I just saw them last Monday, it was good as usual but not quite as loud as expected. Probably because of the venue, last place I saw them in Madison was in a smaller venue and it was more intense in general. This newer venue is kind of cavernous; lots of room, but, almost TOO much room. I had a hard time hearing Pike's solos which shouldn't be an issue at any loving show.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
To further belabor the point, are those who forgot plugs or never wore plugs to shows a lot younger or something? I'm not asking in like a snide or condescending matter (maybe a little bit, gently caress you young people lol), I'm just curious because I'm old as dirt and I the last time I attended concerts without earplugs was in my early/mid 20's or so. It was cool because of the overwhelming noise while at the show and all that but long-term effects aside, it's just a pain in the rear end to have your ears ringing nonstop for 2-4 days.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Detective Thompson posted:

I know everyone is talking about it and I've already called anyone who doesn't wear plugs dumb, but as someone that has tinnitus (developed, of all things, from a cold I had a few years back, not from shows since I WEAR MY PLUGS!), wear plugs, please. Tinnitus sucks, hearing loss sucks, major hearing loss in old age is bad and can contribute to cognitive declines/dementia according to some studies. Protect yourself as much as possible. Don't be some cool tough guy/gal/whatever that thinks not wearing plugs makes you seem like a badass. It doesn't. Most people at shows wear plugs. If anyone gives you grief for wearing them, just tell them to gently caress off in a low voice and laugh when they ask you what you said. And it has been said before, but I've found plugs actually make shows sound better, cutting down on that over-modulation that fuzzes things out.

Full of Hell's new album Weeping Choir is one of my favorites this year. They tend to stick to grind/death, but this track has some pretty sludgy elements and I love it to death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkS7PSB5iH4

It comes up in this thread like every three pages (of course that's when we actually get replies in here, heh) and I was just harping on it because I sincerely wasn't understanding it, that's all. I can dig if somebody is always forgetting to bring them to shows, but I bet that people forgetting the plugs sure as hell don't forget their weed! Sheeeeit. In fact: http://shiiiit.com/

I don't think that anybody is giving another person grief for wearing plugs. I've never had that occur to me nor anybody I know at any show, so I can't see that being a cause for any sort of peer-pressure anxiety. Like it you quit drinking and you're worried that somebody is gonna call you a pussy, it's not hard to blow it off. Just be like "what are, you, twelve?"

I have my own lil' SDS band like half of the peeps in here too, so I always have earplugs on hand which makes it easier to remember them. Vincent from Dopethrone just posted on FB that he woke up with complete hearing loss in one ear, which is hopefully a temporary oddity, but it's kinda sobering at times. Old man rant over.

Oh and new Baroness is pretty eh. I dig Baizley but his voice is starting to get too "sing-songy" for me in areas, to the point where it reminds me of pop-punk Blink-182 horseshit, and the only time I want to hear Blink-182 is when they're screaming from being boiled alive in a vat of acid

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Anybody go to Psycho Las Vegas? Seeing lots of cool videos posted on Facebook from the show. I heard that at least 3 bands got denied visas (among other reasons) and had to cancel -- the ones I'm aware of are DVNE, Rotting Christ, and Oranssi Pazuzu. I've never been able to go but always interested to see the set lists and whatnot.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

hot date tonight! posted:

Here's a hot take for this thread, Flower Travellin' Band's Satori is better than master of reality and released the same year

That poo poo is amazing, I actually heard Grails' version of it before the original. I really dug this video that somebody made of it using "Cat Soup" (I am not familiar with it), trippy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAQDcnwwspQ

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Album cover I just finished

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Thanks all :)

Yeah, they're good poo poo, they're not like huge in the scene but their first album was pretty well-received so go check it out on YouTube.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Varg posted:

so is this a cover for the real Telekinetic Yeti or the fake one? Looking like another Batushka situation here..

Heh, yeah this art is for the drummer's version, or the "fake" one, or whatever people wanna call it. I just got contracted to do the illustration, I'm not privy to the drama details. I'm sure Anthony will tell his side of the story soon, my part of the deal is finished -- if the project is deemed not "legitimate" or whatever, I got a cool piece of art out of it (I usually sell prints of the work without the band's name on it of course).

Generally the music/band/personality stuff is really none of my business, I just draw purty pictures. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out though. :munch:

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There's a new remix album out by The Body :cool:

I didn't know that Jesse Ventura had a band :haw:

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Eat The Rich posted:

Forming the Void and Old Man Wizard tonight!

Forming the Void is rad, I illustrated the album cover for their new album which should be out next year sometime :thumbsup:

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Eat The Rich posted:

Mwahahaha they told me your name

Here's my face with the lead guitarist of Forming the Void in return

Edit edit: haha old man wizard is doing a queen tribute

Noice! I think you can easily find my name in the signatures I leave on my work (the most important part of the illustration, natch). Hope they played some new poo poo, I haven't even heard it yet! Lots of times bands will give me a sneak-peek so I get a sense of the tunes. Oh well. It was supposed to come out in like June but their label had some kind of big tour with a headliner lined up which fell through so they decided to focus on polishing it up and getting more songs on it perhaps. Looking forward to it because "Rift" was loving killer

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Ingmar terdman posted:

Church of Misery 25th Anniversary North American Tour 2020

02/05 San Diego, CA Soda Bar
02/07 Mesa, AZ Club Red
02/09 Austin, TX Barracuda
02/11 Wilmington, NC Reggies w/Truckfighters
02/12 Washington, D.C. Rock & Roll Hotel w/Truckfighters
02/13 Philadelphia, PA Underground Arts w/Truckfighters
02/15 Brooklyn, NY Kingsland w/Truckfighters
02/16 Boston, MA Middle East w/Truckfighters
02/17 Montreal, QC Bar LeRitz
02/18 Toronto, ON Hard Luck
02/19 Chicago, IL Reggies
02/20 Minneapolis, MN Skyway Theatre
02/21 Milwaukee, WI Cactus Club
02/23 Winnipeg, MB The Garrick
02/25 Edmonton, AB Starline
02/26 Calgary, AB Dickens
02/28 Vancouver, BC Venue
02/29 Seattle, WA Substation
03/01 Portland, OR High Water Mark
03/03 San Francisco, CA Bottom of the Hill
03/04 Sacramento, CA Harlows
03/05 Santa Cruz, CA Catalyst
03/06 Los Angeles, CA Hi Hat

:stare: that run w truckfighters

Fuckin killer, my friends (well, clients) Forming The Void got on some tour dates too. They're working on their new record which should be pretty bitchin.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
This is only notable to me I guess since I was involved in the artwork side, but the Telekinetic Yeti situation was resolved with Anthony (the drummer) changing his group's name to Twin Wizard. They released their first full-length so check it out if you'd like, it's got Brad from Droids Attack on vocals (Anthony played all the instruments on the album but when they play live Brad will do guitar/vocals).

https://twinwizard.bandcamp.com/releases

Here's the cover what I did, I've shared it before but this is the final one (I made one with the Telekinetic Yeti name on it before so I had to change it)

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Darthemed posted:

Just loving shaking my head at anyone trying to poo poo on Acid Bath.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Pokey Araya posted:

AIC is 1000x better than Pearl Jam, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

No poo poo, and they sound nothing alike unless you're like 80. What a bad take

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
What about....Alice Mudgarden? (a song that needs to be around 10 minutes longer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aESvWB-kMas

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

unknown butthole posted:

well, looks like my collection is gonna take a little longer than I thought, Unless some of these bands I like explode in popularity.

I'm assuming you're familiar with Kozmik Artifactz / Bilocation? They have shitloads of stoner/doom records.

http://shop.bilocationrecords.com/index.php?s=3&lang=eng

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

unknown butthole posted:

Thank you so much, I didn't know about it and i've already found some stuff i'm looking for.

No prob! I know about Kozmik because I cold-contacted them about doing some art for bands and I totally forgot that I drew the old dude smoking a joint on the front page of their website.

https://kozmik-artifactz.com/

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

homewrecker posted:

Speaking of albums released today, Elephant Tree just dropped their new one, Habits:
https://elephanttreeband.bandcamp.com/album/habits

Thanks, this is really cool. I dig the doom-post-rock-shoegaze vibe.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

check out Agents of Oblivion too there's one album and some demos that are better than the album versions

it's pretty fun to go through Dax Riggs's career trajectory from sludge metal to bluesy rock to indie rock to singer songwriter stuff

I love Dax Riggs and I've been into them since I was a teenager and discovered Acid Bath after reading about them in a METAL MAGAZINE, because I am old

I met him a couple of times at shows and as you'd expect, he's a really cool and chilled-out dude. I was completely starstruck even though he's not like a "superstar" and my buddy was taking pictures of us surreptitiously because he and I were hanging out watching the opening band, and my buddy knew I was all geeking out on the inside. This was when he was doing Deadboy as a two-piece with Tess (who was kind of bitchy, actually).

Anywho, I hate Rotten Records but you can hear some Agents of Oblivion here. Hangman's Daughter is probably my favorite song by them.

https://soundcloud.com/rottenrecords/agents-of-oblivion-the

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Not that WEED 420 OMG has always gotta be the metric for this genre, but I was talking to the singer/guitarist from Bongzilla and he said that the guys from Bongripper don't even smoke weed, or barely do, and he made fun of them for it (friendly joshing of course)

This Stoner Metal Scoop has been brought to you by PotRezin Hilton

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

AFAIK Sweden is insanely strict about cannabis, so I've always assumed bands like Graveyard or Witchcraft just really love the style of music.

Bongripper is from Chicago where it's legal now -- they have no excuse and must answer for their misdeeds

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Ingmar terdman posted:

Aren't they basically just a bunch of Chicago punk scene guys that dressed up their instrumental post-metal with 666 titles/art? Disclaimer I love them

I don't know their roots or anything, but if they manipulated the whole stoner imagery boilerplate like that, I gotta say it's a pretty cool move

Kind of like Type O Negative being a parody of the goth metal genre, with lots of seemingly sincere tunes sprinkled in so as to confuse the hell out of and/or mock everybody listening (disclaimer I love TON)

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Forming the Void released their new album "Reverie." Lots of great stuff, very Eastern vibe for lack of a better term. Vocals are great, some of the songs are a real trip. They'll start kind of clean and melodic and end on some sludgy doom poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUSG3KDjnfY

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Goals:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

hatelull posted:

Scott Kelly is featured in this short rear end live set and it slays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEVSPWOnyeQ

I was cool with some of the early Baroness records. I want to say Blue is good and I like Yellow & Green. I could not get into that latest one at all.

Scott fuckin rules and he should definitely be their main vocalist, or at least an intermittent lead vocalist akin to Mark Lanegan with QOTSA.

Bongzilla is working on a new album and I'm illustrating the cover, should be rad. It'll be called "Weedsconsin" after our home state (which does not have legal marijuana at all due to our idiotic senate)

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

funkybottoms posted:

looked at as much of dude's twitter as i can stomach and lol i figured he was American

anyway, sorry for a reddit link, but this pretty tight: https://www.reddit.com/r/woahdude/comments/i8xgtm/i_published_a_scifi_book_and_hired_a_heavy_metal/

if you look up the book the title is even in a pseudo-Sleep font

Hey cool, I'm FB friends with that artist. He's pretty prolific, great to see him getting some attention.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Varg posted:

New Thou album of other covers, including 4 Black Sabbaths https://thou.bandcamp.com/album/a-primer-of-holy-words

I was the most surprised that they did an Agents of Oblivion cover, holy poo poo

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Just chiming in to say that I love Type O Negative and Peter Steele. I used to listen to a local radio station when I was like 13-14 in 1994 or so, this show called "The Mosh Pit" would be on from, say, 2 AM to 5 AM. I would listen to it and tape songs (on CASSETTE) which I liked or requested (on the LANDLINE PHONE), so the first one I heard was "We Hate Everyone" which I fell in love with, mainly because of the slower middle breakdown part. Their poo poo was so tongue-in-cheek and sardonic, and it was obvious that Pete was just being contrary and edgy in interviews and lyrics and such. I mean, yeah, today it's cringey but I loved reading the front page of SA in 2001, and the monkey cheese humor in the forums was a blast. Looking back at any post from then is awkward as gently caress.

I feel like Pete would have changed with the times and kept making killer romantic doom/goth music, maybe doing a more croon-y side project or something. Some of the edgelord imagery notwithstanding, by all accounts the guy was a sweet fellow at heart.

Nostalgic follow-up about that radio show: I used to listen to it and be a zombie the next day at school because I got 0-2 hours of sleep, but it was worth it. Through that show I discovered Korn when their first album came out in 94, when they were refreshing and heavy; I heard "Ball Tongue" and I thought they were like an odd Japanese band. I also discovered Acid Bath, which would make it worth it just by itself, Morbid Angel, Amorphis, also weirder stuff like Anal oval office, Brujeria, Gwar, and X-Cops. And TON of course.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

A human heart posted:

Do you mean Carnivore or another band? I don't remember any Carnivore songs about that topic.

I believe they're talking about Type O leaning hard into the goth tendencies for Bloody Kisses after the mostly hardcore/doom Slow Deep and Hard, where the whole album was about killing your ex-lover, her lover, and yourself

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

New All Them Witches is actually pretty heavy. There's some good sludgy riffs in there.

Cool, thanks for the link. These guys have released some of my favorite albums in the past decade, but some of the more recent material was relatively lackluster to me.

On a completely different note, I wish that they'd get a different artist for their covers other than their drummer. He's got a scribbly aesthetic which has started to look shoddy compared to the music. I'm a big ol art nerd though so it probably doesn't make any difference anyway

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah, I just can't get excited about their album art at all. Or their logo. I've come to expect more traditional psychedelic art from stoner bands, I guess. I've listened to a handful of bands just because of their album art, some of which you did. My eyes just slide right off theirs because it doesn't match their sound at all.

ALSO Wovenhand albums are all $4 each on Bandcamp today.

In general the art doesn't matter too much if the music is great, but it's a nice way to visually complement the musical and lyrical content, and you're right -- it must be the genre, because I've grown accustomed to seeing some interesting and elaborate art for stoner albums. At the same time I don't want to bash the style simply because it's different, it's just not my cup of tea. I'm with you though, I've listened to some bands without necessarily knowing how they sound because the art was rad, it's all part of the marketing and packaging. I've even tricked myself into getting some substandard beer/wine/etc because I liked the label.

I've seen ATW a couple of times, I don't know if he always does it but one time the singer dude had a lot of fuzz on his bass so it kicked the heaviness up a good notch

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
The guys in Bongripper don't even smoke weed, so their whole act is an elaborate troll

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

I mean, of course, who gives a poo poo really -- I don't exactly smoke my brains out anymore, and it kind of makes it more funny considering their sardonic sense of humor, since it's a send-up of the genre. Plus, the idea that weed consumption has a correlation to credibility is fairly silly.

....That being said though, it'd be kind of weird if Matt Pike all of a sudden was like "PSYCH! I ain't never smoked weed at all!" And then a shirt magically appeared over his torso, never to be removed

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
I smoke tremendous amounts of weed. I take heroin daily and I overdose every night and take narcan to come out of it. I lick paint and soot off of the ground and puke it up and wear it on my shirt. I do all of this so I can listen to the band EyeHateGod in a credible sense, and let me tell you -- it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Seriously though, it's wonderful to be able to come clean and admit that you don't need drugs to like music. And heck -- we've all learned something along the way, I think.

(I do still have "purist" (lmao) friends in the scene though who think that you've got to be a hardcore smoker to play/listen/etc to SDS, which suggests that the music isn't good enough to stand on its own without the altered state that is provided. There are some bands whose music you've got to be stoned to enjoy IMO though)