Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Idioteque Dance posted:

Has anyone checked out Juan Montoya (ex-Torche)'s new band Stallone? Their first EP is on bandcamp and I love it. He was clearly the guy in Torche who was way more into the heavy stoner sound than the other members and it shows, I enjoy it far more than Songs for Singles (if it's fair to compare the two like that).

This is pretty cool. It's interesting to hear what Juan brought to Torche; I share the opinion that they're a lot less interesting without him.

Torche's opening set for Boris right after Meanderthal came out is still probably the most intense live show I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
It's going to be interesting to see if they can deliver on those claims. I honestly can't imagine anything sounding better than the Tee Pee Dopesmoker release. It's kind of weird that they're including that "Holy Mountain" recording; I have a bootleg of that I-Beam show and I don't remember it being anything spectacular. There are other bootlegs from that same Hawkwind tour that are much better in my opinion, and it would have made a lot more sense for them to include one of the faster versions of "Dopesmoker" that the band played on that tour.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I like "Madness of an Architect" a lot, but none of the other songs seem very interesting to me. I really wish Pike would write some more slow songs, because his fast songs all end up sounding the same.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I should note that my perceptions of High on Fire definitely do not line up with most people's, so YMMV. I think Surrounded By Thieves is the best thing they've put out by a considerable margin, as it combines the unusual rhythms and drum patterns of Sleep and The Art Of Self Defense with the punishing war-metal approach Pike seems to favor currently. There are a lot of bands out there that cite HoF as an influence now, but I have never heard another band approach the sound they achieved on Thieves.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Got my ticket for the June 3rd Sleep show in Seattle. They killed in Portland in 2010, so I'm interested to see if they've improved since then.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Chart needs to be scanned and put in OP ASAP.

I wonder if this is the one? Someone on Youtube posted this as a comment on one of my Sleep bass cover videos, and it seems to be the real deal:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Astrotrain posted:

This was posted on the Southern Lord twitter account not long ago:

Interesting. I hadn't realized that they incorporated "Hot Lava Man" into the song, though I can't hear it for the life of me.

Who does Morris refer to in that riff chart?

I believe "Morris" is a reference to Al Morris III of the band Iron Man. Sleep are apparently fans of his, so they named one of the riffs after him. It's the riff that introduces the faster verses, starting with the line about "lungsmen unearthing the creed of hashishian." Later on, "Improved Morris" is the part that introduces and backs the third guitar solo.

im_sorry posted:

His videos were what finally convinced me that I could learn to play bass. I'm still not too good a year later, but I'm getting better.

Glad I could be an inspiration! I'm sorry to say that I probably won't be making too many more videos, though. It's hard to work up the inspiration these days, as I'm never happy with the result. Most of my videos display very poor technique and execution, to be honest.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Is the sample on Southern Lord's website a good representation of the new reissue? It sounds a lot worse than the Tee Pee release to me.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Frank Caskelot posted:

I just came home from seeing Sleep and let me tell you, it was AWESOME!

Edit: Holy poo poo, does the live recording on the Tee Pee version of Dopesmoker do no justice to Sonic Titan. Also, Al said about the song, "This song isn't on any of our albums, yet."

That live recording of "Sonic Titan" is a bootleg from 1992, so it's not surprising that they can play it a lot better now. It would be pretty cool if they did a proper recording of the song.

Interestingly enough, Al has said in interviews that parts of "Sonic Titan" actually became parts of "Dopesmoker." It's pretty hard to hear on the recorded version of "Dopesmoker," but on the faster live version they played in 1994 it's much more obvious.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

big scary monsters posted:

Al Cisneros said something about new songs; maybe he was just talking about the updated version of Sonic Titan (which was awesome), but I really hope there's more to come.

Are they still doing "Antarcticans Thawed" on this tour? I don't think that tune has ever been recorded.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

I'm not sure, at the very start Matt was riffing by himself for five minutes or so - could that have been it? It was pretty funny, he was stood on the disabled lift and someone made it go up and down while he played so he kept peeking over the top and then vanishing again. IIRC the setlist after that was Dopesmoker (a shortened version), Sonic Titan, Holy Mountain, Dragonaut, From Beyond. Might have been one other song as that looks a little short for how long they were on stage, but I don't think there was anything else I didn't recognise.

"Antarcticans" starts with Al droning on one note for a while: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3XYhXaPitE

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

If their FB page is anything to go buy, all is well again.

He was fine in Seattle. Roeder thanked Al and Matt for being such good bandmates, and wished Matt a happy birthday. They all hugged :3:

Despite that wonderful moment, I actually preferred the Portland 2010 show, simply because they played more of "Dopesmoker." They've been slowing the songs down since then though, which was very interesting to hear. Also interesting was a new jam that they used as an intro to the middle part of "Inside The Sun." I was hoping to hear the ending jam of that song too, but no dice.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Matt Pike was at his finest when he was a lean mean wrecking machine, so hopefully rehab will bring out the best in his artistic ability as well as his personal life and health. Good luck to him.

In his prime, he looks like he's on the verge of tearing his guitar apart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxbdNuloKVc

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Morbid Florist posted:

I'll be the guy who says I don't like the new baroness sound. It's too much like other bands, there's no real experiments/risks being taken. No edge to the sound, maybe is what I'm trying to say.

I prefer the Red album :colbert:

I agree. There's nothing wrong with sounding "poppy" as long as the music is exciting and interesting, but I hear nothing exciting or interesting in the new Baroness. Their older material is uniquely theirs, but on their new album they pretty much sound like everyone else.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Trees and Squids posted:

I didn't realize other bands sounded like this. Please direct me to more March to the Sea-esque material and I will be very happy, friend.

"March To The Sea" sounds like the Killers with crunchier guitars in my opinion.

For me, it all comes down to rhythm. I thought Baroness used a lot of cool beats and time signature shifts on their old material, and their new stuff is very rhythmically simple by comparison. They're getting more ambitious in terms of harmony and multi-tracking, but less so in terms of deep song structure.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Al's live tone for their last album was unbelievable (I remember getting to the venue and feeling the notes from outside) but it didn't translate very well to the recording. I like the way he's combining the dub reggae thing he's been fond of lately with the overdriven sound from their first couple albums.

Judging by this video, Al is playing a 5 string Rickenbacker on the new stuff- a rare beast.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

rxcowboy posted:

Imagine if Sleep reformed, announced they would be recording new material and then did a press release saying "Guess what guys, we're making Dopesmoker Part 2. Get ready to loving poo poo yourselves."

I know this may sound nuts, but I'd be let down. Dopesmoker is loving insane, it's a radical departure from how music is normally done, it's iconic and it's going to be the first record I buy on vinyl. I love it, and I try to get everyone I know to at least listen to it all the way through once. I don't want Dopesmoker 2, because the odds are against it being as good, and it might diminish my appreciation of the sound if it wasn't as good as the original. I'd rather them come out with something that sounded nothing like Dopesmoker. Even if it was utter poo poo, I'd still commend them from straying out of their comfort zone, and I'd look forward to the next record because they probably learned some new poo poo while doing it which could lead to more awesome new poo poo on the next one.

Al has said many times that he's moved on from the weed/space themed stuff, so I would be very surprised if he returned to that approach. It would be amazing, however, if they did a proper recording of "Antarcticans Thawed," and maybe the version of "Sonic Titan" they've been trying on this latest tour.

You're right on the money about "Dopesmoker" being a radical departure from the conventions of rock and metal music. In fact, I'd say it's difficult to overstate just how unusual it is. A lot of bands claim Sleep as an influence, but I have never seen or heard anyone come remotely close to the sound they achieved on "Dopesmoker." Tonally, yes, but in terms of deep riff structure and rhythmic complexity? Not a chance. I discover new things about the song every time I listen to it, and I still haven't figured out how some of the parts work. I was listening to it while driving yesterday, and I had a sudden insight about how to count the "Morris" and "Improved Morris" riffs. I had to pull over so I could concentrate on testing my theory without rear-ending someone.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
The new Elder is streaming over at The Obelisk: http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2012/07/19/elderspiresburnstream/

I'm really liking the second track.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

nomapple posted:

Speaking of SL, I see they're reissuing HoF's debut. Is this worth my time/money? I haven't heard it before, so I was wondering whether it was actually good, or just the fact that it is HoF means it will sell.

It's much closer to Sleep than HoF's later material, and also happens to be one of the most devastating collections of riffs ever put to tape. I've heard good things about the reissue, too- folks are saying that the bass and drums are much clearer, without compromising any of the power.

I would love to turn back time and see them when they were touring that album in Midwest dives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUeOTOGUimM It's pretty funny to see Matt getting heckled. How times have changed.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

vanov posted:

Dude in the middle is rocking a mad Carl Sagan look.

Al really likes Carl. They often project his face behind them, and when I saw them in Seattle they had the middle portion of "Inside The Sun" listed as "And Sagan" on the setlist.

I can't get over how amazing these promo pictures are. My respect for the band just grows and grows.

EDIT: I should note that I finally got my hands on a bootleg of Sleep's original 2-day reunion at ATP, the last gigs they did with Chris Hakius. Really great stuff, and well worth seeking out. I believe these shows mark the final appearance of the fast "Cultivator," as well as the only time "Some Grass" ever got played live.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 16, 2012

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Haggatha are touring Europe right now, and you should go see them! They're hitting Germany, Poland, Slovakia, Austria, Croatia, Greece and France, among others. The full list of dates is on their bandcamp: http://haggatha.bandcamp.com/ Hopefully they can fill in some of the missing dates in time.

I caught the tour kickoff show last weekend, and it was a whole lotta sludge in a tiny little room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10VMSMhlCxg

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Astrotrain posted:

I saw Mendozza last weekend, having never heard of them before and they absolutely destroyed. I don't know how these guys aren't better known, they really surprised me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfFcFSaEKkw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xz8BUkHFis

It's a mystery to me too. They've been tearing up stages for years now, and their new album is beastly. I caught them at the Rickshaw in Vancouver last week, and while that show was great, I'm looking forward to seeing them in a smaller setting at Funky's next month for maximum volume and saturation.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Stefan is a master of dynamics, just like the rest of CH. I think I've read that he plugs straight into his massive wall of amps, getting all his tones by adjusting the volume on his guitar or by using a volume pedal. The Guild Starfire that he uses is a big part of his sound as well.

Haggatha IV is out on Bandcamp, and it's a nasty, grimy beast. I can't believe they've kept a 17 minute track up their sleeves for this long.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

foonykins posted:

Just wanted to let you guys know that this has been melting my face for the past few days. My drummer, who usually is dead set on playing fast, heard this tonight and actually gave a slow, driving beat a shot for once. It slayed. Seriously give this a listen if you haven't already

It's pretty good live too (I was standing just to the right of the camera).

I was hoping to pick up the LP at that show, but the band had them all shipped to Europe for their tour. They came back empty handed, so now I have to wait for the next pressing. It's either that, or order one from the label in Montreal, which seems goofy given that I live in the same city the band does.

Speaking of good bands from Vancouver- I've seen Tobeatic play a few really good shows recently. Its members are veterans of numerous local heavy/crusty projects (including the multi-drummer sludge madness that is Rotting Hills, but this is some good old spacy hard rock. The tune I linked has some nice riffs once the whole band kicks in.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Morbid Florist posted:

The new Sword album is out there for listening.

I like it so far but they're definitely latching on to the sound and structure they made with Warp Riders. It's just not grabbing me like that one did. They're definitely still listening to Hawkwind while they write, I just wish they didn't stick to a formula so hard.

It's worth hearing though

Is the rest of the album like the title track? Judging from that tune, I can safely ignore the Sword from now on. I thought Warp Riders was a completely lame retread of their older albums. The songs even sounded bad live, especially compared to the old ones.

I also don't hear even a hint of Hawkwind in their music, apart from the goofy sci-fi lyrics. Where are you getting that comparison from?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Thalamus posted:

So I recently stumbled across an album called Tumuli Shroomaroom, by the band Acrimony. It seems like it's a bit of an unknown (or at least under appreciated) release, but I think it should be up there as one of the best stoner releases of the 90s.

http://youtu.be/gAhyAh7IzIs

Great album. I've always liked the track you posted, along with "Motherslug" and "Heavy Feather."

There were a lot of good releases in the late 90s and the turn of the millennium, right around the time that "stoner rock" became a catchphrase. Lowrider have always been one of my favourites for straight-up Kyuss worship, and Sgt Sunshine take the Kyuss thing further with interesting Latin influences.

Speaking of Kyuss and Latin influences, Ciudad De Brahman by Los Natas has been in constant rotation for me lately. Their combination of desert rock riffs, mellow psych interludes and melancholy vocal harmonies is really wonderful. Ciudad lacks the Billy Anderson production of their later releases, but it still sounds fantastic.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I just heard "Sleepy Silver Door" by Dead Meadow in a Miller Lite commercial, which got me thinking - what's the strangest situation where you've heard some stoner/doom?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Loaf32 posted:

He sobered up IIRC, so getting back on the wagon might make the performances vary. I dunno. Either way, I'm sure it'll be worthwhile.

The Vancouver show would have been excellent if only Matt's guitar had been louder. Venue's sound system seems to be designed with club music in mind, since the bass and kick drum were the loudest parts of the mix. On the plus side, the whole band played very well, and the setlist ruled. 10,000 Years, Last, Speedwolf and Rumors of War/DII were all included, along with the newer material. It was great fun, but I kept flashing back to the Richard's on Richards show in 2007 where Pike's guitar was almost painfully loud, and he was so into it that he almost kicked me in the head.

I don't personally care for Goatwhore's music, but they are definitely a well-polished band, and I thought Lo Pan were good but pretty repetitive. I have to give a shout out to my brothers in ANCIIENTS who opened the show, and who will be putting out their full length on Season of Mist in the new year.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Nativity In Black posted:

I always look at the songs like Snowblind and Cornucopia as the beginnings of doom. For poo poo that came out in '72 this is heavy as all loving get out.

...or how about Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath? I couldn't even tell you how many bands have stolen that riff.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Deuce and Norm from Mendozza have put together a new project called Azodanum. If you like Mendozza, you'll love this. I've heard a couple of the other tracks, and they're equally as crushy.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
"Dopesmoker" is still the slowest album. Sleep are really good at subdividing their riffs and filling the spaces with interesting patterns, so it sometimes sounds like they're playing fast, but the overall tempo of the album is ridiculously low. The intro riff, for instance, takes over a minute to completely cycle through.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

watt par posted:

Dopesmoker and that Khanate track I posted are both around 50bpm, which is about larghetto or a slow adagio. Though at that tempo when the riff in Dopesmoker switches from 4/4 to 3/4 it sneaks up on you, which is really neat.

I remember seeing the Melvins do Hung Bunny/Roman Bird Dog at like half the speed as the recorded version back in like 2002 or 2003. That was something else.

The initial "Departure" section of Dopesmoker is even more of a mindfuck than just 4/4 to 3/4. If you just count the individual "one-two-three-fours" of the backbeat, you're missing the larger cycle of riffs that goes 12/4, 6/4, 8/4, 6/4 before repeating with a slightly different ending.

The really tricky part is that the first thing you hear Matt playing in the intro is actually the last 6/4 "bar" of the Departure riff.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

niff posted:

i got really high and counted this once, this man is correct. although i highly doubt the band intentionally write in those time sigs, that's how it falls musically when you count it.

Oh no, the time signature shifts were absolutely intentional, and meticulously planned. If you listen to the fast proto-Dopesmoker from the '94 Hawkwind tour, you can hear how some of the parts were originally just straight 4/4. The weirdness didn't set in until they started to slow the tempo way down.

The March 2006 issue of Decibel has the most comprehensive story of Dopesmoker by far. I thoroughly recommend it to all interested parties.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Loaf32 posted:

Is it the same as what they (re?)printed in Precious Metal?

I couldn't say for certain, since the blurb for that book mentions additional material, but I imagine it's mostly the same.

watt par posted:

e2: the meter change is even more abrupt and gnarly in the earlier faster live version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKbLRMMRq8g

Interesting, I don't think I've heard that recording before! I have a number of bootlegs from the '94 tour, but that's a new one for me. Those recordings are well worth seeking out, as you can actually hear "Dopesmoker" develop over the course of the tour. They never play it -or any of the songs, for that matter- the same way twice.

I really like the fast version as well, and I actually think some of the riffs work better at a faster tempo than what's on the album. I particularly like "10-11-12" in the early stages of the tour, where they play it at an absolutely blistering tempo. It really highlights the time signature trickery that passes mostly unnoticed in the ultra-slow version.

On the flip side, the intro and guitar solos definitely benefited from a slower tempo. The first guitar solo and the leadup to it is probably my favorite section of the entire song.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Just got my Clutch/Orange Goblin ticket in the mail. I never imagined that I would get the chance to see the Goblin, and I certainly never imagined that they would be embarking on a full North American tour! It's nice to see OG getting the recognition and exposure they deserve, as they're one of the all-time classic "stoner rock" bands.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've really been enjoying Tobeatic's debut album lately. They're an excellent live band composed of Vancouver scene vets, and their tunes are a tasty mix of hard rock styles. "All To Hell" and "Frozen Ocean" are the standout tracks, with the former being a guaranteed headbanger.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

On the Greg Anderson theme, I love Goatsnake so much but they don't seem to have released anything new since Trampled Under Hoof. Any recommendations for a band that sounds like Goatsnake? What's The Obsessed like?

The Obsessed are generally more up-tempo than Goatsnake, but you should absolutely check them out. Lunar Womb and The Church Within are classic albums, and after Jug Fulla Sun I would call them Wino's best work. You'll probably want to start with Church, since it has Guy Pinhas on bass as well as Greg Rogers on drums.

Or, just dig some tunes and decide for yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHEaS7i1JKc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNuSTDlk95w

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

watt par posted:

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/s/sleep/dopesmoker_intro_guitar_pro.htm

Cellos are a concert pitch instrument so they didn't even need to transpose it.

If those students were using this transcription as the basis for their performance, it's amazing that they sounded as good as they did, because it's completely wrong. The time signatures are all incorrect, and most of the bass riffs aren't even there.

Sleep on cello is still dope as hell though.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Loaf32 posted:

Another listen through headphones improved my opinon considerably. The Face really strikes me as Temples of Syrinx origin fan fiction, which I thought was really cool.

"Temple of Syrinx having the bake sale of the year" is one of my all-time favorite Clutch lyrics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFSm9vfwtNw

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Does anyone know of any accurate guitar tabs that are available for Dopesmoker? I know I could just start looking but you know how most tabs suck.

It's not a song that you can really learn from tabs or sheet music, because it's all based around following the drum patterns. Luckily, you don't have to worry much about scales, since all the riffs are in modes of C.

Koldenblue posted:

One of these days I'm going to try and transcribe the bass parts for that song. I'd really love to have a look at the actual sheet music they used.

I figured most of it out when I was in my "youtube bass cover" phase, so if you need any tips, just ask. The guitar solos are easily the most difficult sections of the song for bass, because Al throws in a ton of insane fills that don't repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

fyodor posted:

In particular: the first two HoF records are perfect. Unreal sound and energy. Often have to force myself to not listen to those albums sometimes so as not to wear them out in my brain. All HoF records are glorious, however... some more than others.

Those two albums are something else. The thrashier stuff that Pike is into now is good, but for me nothing compares to the all-out assault of Surrounded by Thieves. Des Kensel should win some kind of award for his playing on "The Yeti."

You (all y'all, actually) would probably like Acrimony. They're not mentioned in the OP, but in retrospect I think they may be one of the best early "stoner rock" bands. I hadn't listened to Tumuli Shroomaroom for a while, and it blew my mind a little bit today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHBGwhmokJ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0lp7kgK9M0

edit: Actually, it seems like I made the same recommendation back in January. Whoa man, when was I listening to that album? Where am I?

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 17, 2013