Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Ziploc posted:

What kinda M3?

E46. From my reading it sounds like it's no uncommon. I'm debating putting adjustable LCAs on. But I know the factory ones are sacrificial to protect the subframe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I know about the LCAs on E36 M3s insta-cambering, but the E46 is news to me.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
It's the same part. Used on all e36/e46.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
As promised, here's the pics. I havent uploaded the video yet. Its not very exciting.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sadi posted:

As promised, here's the pics. I havent uploaded the video yet. Its not very exciting.

hella sick stance bro

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So what happened to the trailing arm?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Nothing as far as I can tell. I haven't started taking it apart yet. Going drill holes in the LCA and bolt it together to keep the camber under control when I load it up on a flat bed again and take it to the shop that I will drop the sub frame at. Then Im replacing all the bushings and bot LCAs. Ill be inspecting the trailing arm then.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
I may be crap at autocrossing (another STD to add to my collection today!) but at least I went away smiling...not like this guy.

This was right before the end of the course where there was a gentle chicane. Somehow (I was four cars back on the grid and did not see) a newish Corvette managed to swap ends and exit the lot backwards. He hit both the 4x4 and that metal sign. Trashed two (possibly three) body panels and had what appeared to be suspension damage on one rear corner.

Funnily enough, that marks the third Vette to wreck at this club's events at recent events. The first two were written off, including one brand new one. What is it about Corvettes?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

saint gerald posted:

Funnily enough, that marks the third Vette to wreck at this club's events at recent events. The first two were written off, including one brand new one. What is it about Corvettes?

Generally speaking - poo poo tons of power, a slightly weird suspension. and folks with more money than brains.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This is why you make all autox finishes drag finishes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

saint gerald posted:

What is it about your safety stewards and course designers should be the real question. Wrecks should never happen in a well designed auto-x course.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

nm posted:

What is it about your safety stewards and course designers should be the real question. Wrecks should never happen in a well designed auto-x course.

I did not see the first two (or, indeed, this one) and so will not pass judgment...although I was told one of the past wrecks "hit the school" -- it was held at a high school parking lot -- and that raised my eyebrows somewhat. I think they are constrained considerably by the available space. Today's lot was so small that we were doing two laps and the fastest time was 40.x.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

saint gerald posted:

I did not see the first two (or, indeed, this one) and so will not pass judgment...although I was told one of the past wrecks "hit the school" -- it was held at a high school parking lot -- and that raised my eyebrows somewhat. I think they are constrained considerably by the available space. Today's lot was so small that we were doing two laps and the fastest time was 40.x.

Are you SCCA? I know Fresno SCCA almost lost their insurance for one lot because it did not have enough runoff.

Course designers that ignore safety are a massive pet peeve of mine. I quit being a safety steward because Sacramento SCCA was run by assholes who didn't care at all about cars running toward "non-participants" (Auto-x has no spectators!) and toward each other with minimal run-off.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Brigdh posted:

Generally speaking - poo poo tons of power, a slightly weird suspension. and folks with more money than brains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB-KBaevPqM

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Not sure if this is supposed to be in support of what I said. The vette driver was a bit stupid there, but as has been pointed out before when this video was posted, theres a lot of fail as far as the course setup and workers there. Every situation is a bit unique.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Brigdh posted:

Not sure if this is supposed to be in support of what I said. The vette driver was a bit stupid there, but as has been pointed out before when this video was posted, theres a lot of fail as far as the course setup and workers there. Every situation is a bit unique.

Yeah, that's a speed ventures event. I've done a few of theirs. The lot is very small and has a lot of pebbles. Auto Club Speedway has a huge outer parking lot and they should just use that like SCCA does.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

nm posted:

Are you SCCA? I know Fresno SCCA almost lost their insurance for one lot because it did not have enough runoff.

We are. They are careful with spec^H^H^H^Hnon-driving participants. Today's mishap was at a different lot than the first two. I think the main problem is that they'd rather squeeze into a small lot than not run at all.

edit: not my vid, but this is from today. The Vette's trail can be seen at about the 41-second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul4woEG61vg

saint gerald fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 6, 2014

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

32 second mark, it doesn't look like you have 75 feet between course and the unprotected viewing area, and maybe its the viewing angle, but from 39 to 41 it looks like there is quite a drop off at the edge of the pavement. I'm thinking that vette that went off was rather lucky...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

14-17 seconds kind of scares me too, though I guess an M3 isn't going that fast there, but the line up there seems pretty close. An ASP car or a mod car though?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

nm posted:

Sacramento SCCA
Sending you a PM

Related: "buck runs"?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 6, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I hear things like the above and it makes me really glad to be in Dixie. We had our "jr. kart incident" and there's something about a death years and years ago, but otherwise we're pretty hard on people about safety.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

I hear things like the above and it makes me really glad to be in Dixie. We had our "jr. kart incident" and there's something about a death years and years ago, but otherwise we're pretty hard on people about safety.
I loved Minnesota. They ran a great event, and everyone was very friendly. They had amazing venues (except for the St. Paul Stadium site).
One of the things I miss most out MN. They they were quick. Six one minute plus runs for 120-150 cars.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Speaking of safety incidents. Did they ever figure out what happened a month or two ago when that girl died in a Jr. Kart in Texas?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

nm posted:

14-17 seconds kind of scares me too, though I guess an M3 isn't going that fast there, but the line up there seems pretty close. An ASP car or a mod car though?

The silver MR2? It's SSM, although just barely I imagine.

Here's video of the incident itself (including timely "please sign the waiver!" announcement).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rerx5lwBz88

edit: or not! :tinfoil:

saint gerald fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 6, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Locator posted:

Speaking of safety incidents. Did they ever figure out what happened a month or two ago when that girl died in a Jr. Kart in Texas?

That one just sounded like either a stuck throttle or the same thing that happened to our Junior Karter; they just froze up and didn't take their foot out of it.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
So when I get my AE86, I plan on going Autocrossing in it.

Is this a good idea? Will people laugh at my 1987 car cruising through cones?

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Your gonna get swarmed by dorifto fans and no one will laugh.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Your gonna get swarmed by dorifto fans

is this a bad thing

Torn Quad Jones posted:

and no one will laugh.

okay good

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
This seems relevant to the recent discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4uYQr-3tOQ

:v:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

So, how many times was the semi trailer hit?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Watching that video made me nervously sweat.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, no kidding. Watching it just made me think, "Okay, when is he gonna be hydroplaning and smashing into things?".

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

saint gerald posted:

Corvettes have a very on/off driving profile which is hard to adjust to if you don't have much experience.

They have a ton of everything; brakes, lateral grip, and power. They're also softly sprung but stiffly dampened cars and they transfer weight at a deceptively slow rate. Thank to the gently caress off amount of tire they have, up to 8/10th they are extremely forgiving and recoverable and you can use huge inputs and the car will go along with whatever you do. Once you pass that point, due to the slower weight transfer, they are extremely easy to overdrive to an unrecoverable degree if you aren't very patient and early on input applications.

This is a heavy rain run in Kimbos C6 Z06, at about :24 you can see me coming out of a sweeper and having to slowly roll into throttle and wait a few times when the rear end starts wiggling. Fast, yes. Lots of patience with throttle, definitely yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrpA9qFMjoA

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Yeah, no kidding. Watching it just made me think, "Okay, when is he gonna be hydroplaning and smashing into things?".

What you wouldn't feel safe parking your car near that slalom at :28????

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 8, 2014

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Holy crap that's a long fast course. Looks fun!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Brigdh posted:

So, how many times was the semi trailer hit?

None, actually. That was actually a relatively dry run too. But on my first run I wondered what the gently caress the safety steward was doing when he approved the course. We have to compromise a lot thanks to tiny, poo poo lots but getting sideways towards a semi trailer was a new one for me.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Crustashio posted:

None, actually. That was actually a relatively dry run too. But on my first run I wondered what the gently caress the safety steward was doing when he approved the course. We have to compromise a lot thanks to tiny, poo poo lots but getting sideways towards a semi trailer was a new one for me.

Compromise is one thing. Specifically ignoring required safety rules is another (granted I'm assuming a SCCA sanctioned event here). I wasn't even specifically looking for issues and I caught 2-3 major ones that should have never gotten past the pre-approval walk stage.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Not SCCA, ASN (canada). I'm not sure on the specifics of their ruleset.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
My friends NB broke so we used mine and threw his slicks on. Oh my god they are loving crack. Also think I won the award for longest time a miata has spent banging the rev limiter, we were flat down a back section for 30 seconds. The car was 1s off FTD we would have probably clinched it had we used 3rd gear.

Miatas are so awesome, I'm a convert.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I went too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Inferior German adhesives? Also I'm kinda bummed that there is no more autocross for this year. Did my last event on the 19th. Kinda pissed I missed most of the summer season due to being away but there is always next year.

• Locked thread