Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Dixie Region SCCA member checking in. If you were at the National Tour in March and you tech'd on Friday, I'll bet :20bux: that I put the SCCA 2011 sticker on your helmet or poked your battery or something.

I started AutoX'ing back in August of '09 and somehow got led into being a board member for 2011. I love AutoX, but I have to say that the biggest thing for me is the social aspect and the friendly yet cutthroat competition. AutoX is the only kind of performance driving event that fits in my schedule, what with class/work/other life getting in the way. It's perfect for me, but it's not for everyone. Some people see it as a gateway to higher level performance driving.

Unfortunately I can't seem to keep a car in one piece, and I'm currently on my third car, whose first event (with me driving) will be this weekend. Hopefully I can keep this one for more than a year.

Obligatory AutoX videos featuring my first car in both of them. It got named "The Lean Machine", picking it out should be easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-YCbF15FI4 WALB came out and did a short segment on us at our site in Moultrie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZi6ukjOMU8 This is at the same site in Moultrie, but was a spectator-filmed video.

That car was so goddamn fun to drive at AutoX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man, that BMW around the 40 second mark is one hell of a hero. I'd have been two feet in way earlier into that slide.

The local Cantonese news did some coverage of a rallycross event I went to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFRJMuHzL1g

That was me in the E30. Good old Lean Machine.

If any of you are in North Florida/South Georgia/surrounding areas, Dixie Region is doing an event this weekend in Moultrie. I'll be in a white Miata with two black racing stripes. It's a concrete pad with incredible grip. dixiescca.com for details.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 8, 2011

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Dixie has introduced a "Street Tire PAX" for all non-ST cars that don't want to drop the cash for a set of wheels and A6's. We had 15 people run in STP (we usually get 30-45) for the first event and over twenty for the second. Our numbers are up by at least 15 for the year so far on average, it's a great thing.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slow is Fast posted:

I did an autocross today.

Oops.

You can't just leave that here with no story. Words. :colbert:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

TrueChaos posted:

Okay, so I can't wait. Here's what I've got on my list of stuff to bring so far...

Food
Chair
Painters Tape
Tools? I have no idea what I should bring here...
I don't have a powered pump, but I could bring a bicycle one I guess.

Saturday is supposed to be 18C and sunny :dance:

Maybe I'm just overkill, but I bring my entire toolbox to every AutoX. Then again, the Miata is the first car that's been considered "utterly reliable" by the local club's standards. It's been all Bimmers and a 1980 F250 up until now.

(Basically I'm paranoid about poo poo breaking and always carry tools)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Dixie Region AutoX at Spence Field for you Southeast (SEDIV) goons. Look for a white Miata with black stripes if you decide to visit.

http://www.dixiescca.com/

I've still got to roll my fenders to clear the Hankooks, and re-time it. Oh christ I've got the itch bad right now I want to race auuuuuuuuuuugh

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

ReaperUnreal posted:

I did the school + a race in Ottawa a few years back with an Accord, and have been dying to go do it again now that I live in Toronto. How badly would I get laughed at if I showed up with a Mazda 6 Wagon?

If anything, you would be cheered on like a hero (as long as you drive the PISS out of it! If the tires aren't smoking in the corners you're NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH!)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

I busted my lip off on some cones and ran over it. That was an easy $170. Just going to ziptie it back together where it ripped and run it for now, though.

And before my lip came off..

The day started off super wet, and then got a LOT faster. I won ST, but I need to get closer to those cones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-xp1gh9Y8A&t=253s

That was a beautiful drift at the back turnaround.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Podothehobbit posted:

So is anyone else showing up to the Marana auto-x tomorrow? I'd strongly encourage any Tucson/Phoenix guys to try it out!

Going to be a pretty fast course.

What a weird finish. I forsee that cone wall on the right getting demolished a few times.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

shane86 posted:

only minimal color and exposure correction with photoshop, the rest are in the album:
http://shane86.com/v/photography/2011/mowog_3/

Holy poo poo that M3 is getting some airtime. Maybe he needs to invest in a stiffer front sway? That's ridiculous.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Locator posted:

E36's pull the inside front off the ground all the time at autocross events.

I've got a picture somewhere way back in this thread of mine pulling the inside front up a couple inches with street tires, not even R compounds. The Silver car in the above picture is BSP, so I'm sure he's running R comps, probably Hoosiers, so he probably gets air in the front all over the place.

I used to drive one myself, so I know they tend to float, but that's a ton of air. It looks to me like the rear would be coming up too.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oh hell yes! Robert Lewis of Dixie Region REPRESENT!!! This car is SO MUCH FUN to ride in.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

nm posted:

Why is the only auto-x in nor-cal over 100 miles away from me on 4th of July weekend?

Dammit.

(Also, why are auto-xs here always on Sunday? That's my day of rest, like as in I don't want to wake up at 5 am to drive to a site, change tires, run, change tires, go home, go to bed. That is what Saturday is for)

Because AutoX is a religious experience! (If you're doing it right).

Besides, when I get home after getting there on Saturday, setting up a course, then help run the event on Sunday, swap tires at both ends, Drive my runs, then pack up the trailer and head home, I rest like a motherfucker. I don't think I've ever slept so good.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
One of my buddies dinged the timer box Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQcC_XTrgBQ

I was supposed to be co-driving that car (B16 turbo SMF Civic), but work wouldn't get the hell out of the way. I let him run on my tires so he could get an idea of what he was missing out on.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Marauder Stig posted:

Hi guys, I autocross too!

It's a Mercury Marauder in case anyone asks.

Surely, there's someone on here with an even more eccentric choice of ride to autocross

Beach Bum! You autocross in Dixie, I autocross in Wiregrass. So I was looking at your video, Is that SGMP where you're autocrossing? It looks different.

YUSSSSS! I REMEMBER THIS CAR!!! I went to one of your events back when I had my '89 E30 (link), you were tearing it up out there. I was out there with a buddy of mine who has a spraypainted black Miata. Your site is awesome.

That would be Dixie's Moultrie site, nice big concrete flightline that draws crowds before Nationals. That friend of mine in the Turbo Civic goes to Wiregrass events every once in awhile too.

whiskas posted:

Hitting the timing gear means you owe the club 10x:10bux:

Still doesn't cover the cost as our timing gear is easily worth $2000+
Luckily for the driver, he only dinged up the casing a bit. I haven't heard anything about it being permanently damaged, so no news is good news in this case.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 24, 2011

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I use my DroidX mount on the inside of the windshield up top, and it takes pretty good videos, along with having never come loose.

However, you can't beat losing the goddamn MicroSD chip with an entire season's worth of videos :downs:.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Locator posted:

One of our local guys made a cool 'how to get around at your first autocross' video. It's specific to our region of course, but I thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrjLo7f5r8g

Why did they remove the video? I was hoping to use it as a great example for making a similar video for Dixie Region.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Going to Dixie Region's shindig up in Moultrie today... gently caress it's cold.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
You have an NA, of course you had fun.

If you bring a Miata to an AutoX and don't have fun something went very very wrong.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
drat, pictures like that ALMOST make me wish for my E36 with the S50 again.

Almost. But I have an E30 now. :D

Any goons planning on coming to the Allies v Axis event in Cecil, GA that Dixie Region does? I hope to have a suspension setup dialed in for that event, I'm buying a parts car with a few nice things on it that should really clean up the old girl. It'll also be the first time I've raced on my Hankooks since my old car got T-boned.

Edit: You also seem to be missing a fog light.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Locator posted:

I blame evil cones for jumping out in front of my car.

I lost my brake ducts because of that. I started removing them before AutoX after I ran over one of the originals.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wish I had better pictures of our rallycross cones exploding in -20'C weather. We lost so many last year that a lot of them are just orange mudflap material folded into a cone and ziptied to a shattered cone's intact base.

We have a lot of autocross cones with burned scars in them from being dragged under hot exhaust or along the asphalt as well. Stupid bastards just can't figure out how to stay out of the way.

Exhibit A:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Rides should be fine, at least in Dixie they were. I had a guy with casts on both ankles from a MotoX accident riding with me all day once.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Anyone coming to the Dixie Region National Tour? I'll be working the event and most likely driving my car (Black BMW E30, 273 STX). I'll be there Friday night through Sunday.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Holy BALLS you are a conehumper.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Watching Dissimo in his STR Miata at the Dixie tour was like that. Holy poo poo that man was flying through the slaloms. It takes a hell of a driver to make a 99 Miata in STR trim beat out a S2000CR.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
That lot looks huge and delicious.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I ride Hawk HP+ daily, but I am completely unperturbed by their squealing and the dust. They're great for AutoX, I just need to get more tire at this point.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

TrueChaos posted:

Do you drive them in freezing temperatures? I'm tempted to get a set for the miata, but I daily drive it all year round and would like to be able to brake in the winter.

I live in North Florida so I can't say I've had much experience with these conditions :v:

Next time it gets that cold I'll try to trigger the ABS. The brakes on my E30 are more than enough to make up the difference, but I think Miata brakes are closer to the max.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I mount my phone on the windshield right behind the rearview mirror, videos turn out pretty drat good.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
ProSolo I think.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Shane86: You weren't at the Dixie Nats, were you?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Down here in Dixie we have two excellent sites (Spence Field April-October, and SGMP for December-March), and we rarely get less than 6 runs on courses that are mostly 50+, with the odd course getting to the 38-39's for the insane fast drivers/cars. We have a lunch break, too. During summer when attendance is a bit lower, we get 8 runs.

Then again, I'm told that Dixie Region runs an incredibly tight ship while still maintaining high fun/safety level.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I never understood why slicks were standard for the stock classes.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
"DOT Slicks" are still slicks. I don't care about that one little groove in the tread.

You can call a rose a sunflower all day long but it's still a rose.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Brigdh posted:

So, a Yokohama A048 is ok then? Or a Kumho W710? Both of those are basically "DOT slicks" with a bit more tread...

You're just being pedantic at this point. Or trolling. I care not which.

Phone posted:

Stock class? Like the ones with 32-way Ohlins, Hoosier A6s, and the biggest FSB you can find?

Pretty much this. Ironically the National Level NA's and NB's in CS were some of the most blatant indicators of what was wrong with Stock.

Remote reservoir shocks in "stock class" is laughable. I never knew about that one until I read the article. Getting my E30 into STX was the best thing I ever did for being regionally competitive.

I realize that tires were different back in the day, but this rulechange has been long overdue and will bring out a LOT of new blood in my region. There are several dudes out there that want to come out and race, but don't want to modify their car to bring it up to ST levels to get out of the hell-for-newbies that was the old "Stock" class, and became frustrated at never pulling a trophy or even getting close to the guys with $8000 shocks and slicks R-Comps (since apparently I can't use the word "slicks" around all the people with defective deductive reasoning).

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 21, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
You need to drop the VTEC threshold a thousand RPM or so.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Extra posted:

Dear god this is the most fun thing ever and everyone is extremely helpful and friendly I am kind of pissed off I didn't go do this the second I got my license. The NER Novice program is absolutely fantastic and the instructors were amazing. The course was so fast and well designed that being a course worker was pretty entertaining (helps to be working when modified/street modified is running). No one even made fun of my dumb slow car. Anyone who owns a legal car should do this at least once.

One of us, one of us :getin:

As a novice instructor, NOTHING brings a smile to my face like this kind of response.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Heres the article about that tremor that went autocrossing too bad they put music over the run it sounded great.
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/taking-a-stock-ford-f-150-where-its-never-gone-before-1582276128/1583351611/+matthardigree

I would have liked a ride in that. Hell, I'd have like to DRIVE it. Just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

animeliker posted:

I am bumping so its kept out of archives, but I went to PITL on Saturday. Lots of fun, a talented bunch, and its really well organized. Check it out if you are in the Toronto area.

As an aside, any recommendations for an AutoX brake pad? Or should I just stick with OEM Street pads?

I had HP+ and HPS on my E30 STX car and they both worked great. HP+ are noisy as hell (I loved the sound, personally), eat rotors like a goon eats Cheetos and had the dust to go with the appetite, but after a couple hard stops bit like the devil and they never faded. I switched to HPS because I was doing brakes every 5k-10k miles. I got less initial bite but not by much, and everything else felt like a negligible loss in performance for my skill level. I also lengthened the replacement interval by double.

• Locked thread