Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
At that point i'd just say "screw it". Replacing a carpet isnt that difficult or expensive :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I want to autocross my 96 miata with no bar whatsoever. Will i be ok with a helmet? I honestly dont see flipping as a possible issue, the center of gravity is quite low.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The yanking of the steering wheel is what clinches it for me, i can see the speed draining away with every sideways shudder the car makes...

I just feel like screaming "You're supposed to work WITH that force, not against it".

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
First ever autocross complete: I just drove a stock NA miata faster than a whole field of S2000's

:smug:

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 16, 2011

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Idea: Somehow mount Iphone 3gs to the side of helmet (facing forward), profit!

(Would it be able to see anything whatsoever outside of the windshield?)

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I came here to basically say the same thing, you steer. too. drat. hard. It looks like every corner is too fast, than you yank the wheel to make the car understeer, than slam on the brakes to make it oversteer a little, than accelerate slowly to the next corner. make smooth gradual moments and dont ever touch the brake unless you have to. If you think you will need to brake for a slalom, try not accelerating so much beforehand. The miata is a momentum car (basically by design it sacrifices acceleration for grip) and you killed the momentum every chance you got.

That being said, i want that telematry. Does it do the corner map for you?

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If you said you had a Cavalier convertible i'd say yes.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Autocross video time! My third event and the first time i managed to make gopro work and would like some criticism (positive and negative) on how i can get better at this whole malarkey. Driving technique, car upgrades, camera angles, everything is fair game. I tried to make this not a boring "hood cam" video, becuase nobody but the driver likes those.

First run is a track learning slow run, I didnt tighten the mount in the second video so it wobbles a bit, stick it out the third run looks objectively cool :) Personal FTD is second run before the rain started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrAsaPf23rY

Good enough for second or third place in CSP on street tires in a pretty big event. The car above me and below me were on r comps, and the car above me was a rocket ship i dont think i could have competed with :( His time: 0:46, my time 0:54 buddys r comp s2000 time: 0:57.

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 15, 2012

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Brigdh posted:

Sorry to poo poo on your parade, but that video is not very good from a coaching standpoint. I can't see your hands, I can't see your helmet (thus where you are looking), and two of the views don't give me any sense of the course.

Err, sorry i guess? I didnt really make the video for coaching. Autocross videos bore people to death because "Trunk mount facing forward" or "windshield mount facing forward" are dull as hell to watch, i shot it for the "interesting to friends and family" value rather than just technique. Excuses: Maybe a Lower than usual mount and massively wide angle might made the cone gap look worse than it is, i was pretty drat happy with my times compared to the rest of the field.

Brigdh posted:

Third view: bloody hell, this is terrible.

:smith: I was really proud of that third shot. Dont worry, I actually took a spare cone and set it below the camera, even leaving a little space for the roll of the car.

I can certainly take "get closer to the cones" as advice, thanks.

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 15, 2012

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ExecuDork posted:

Given you didn't set out the video for coaching and driving technique critique, I enjoyed the third shot, especially the water spray. I thought it would work well for a more sophisticated video - those you posted had a definite "experimenting with camera work" feel to them - as a short segment, running for maybe a second or two, in a video otherwise mainly composed of a high-and-behind shot as was suggested by Muffinpox. That requires multiple cameras, of course, as well as figuring out where to mount the camera for a shot like that such that you can still place the front wheel right on cones without the camera knocking them over - the concern isn't for the safety of the camera, it's for your driving line!

I also like videos that include at least some direct views of the driver - like mounted on the passenger window or the far corner of the windscreen on the inside, pointing at the driver so both hands and the face are always visible - steering wheel, into the open-face helmet, gear shift (and windshield wiper and signal light control stalks, too, for the fun little mistakes).

I've got plenty of fun ideas, i'd love to cut in a shot on the hood as close to the driver as possible, facing right at me, which would block my view nicely but, whatever.

I'll split my shots between 2/3rds "fun artsy" shot and 1/3rd "Can see the driver and track" shots and try to make a long compliation video at the end of the season. As far as i was from the cones, and i noticed myself being more jerky with the weight transfer than i remember, do you think i left 5-6 seconds on the course? I mean the guy in front of me wasnt even close, and i'll be bumped to SSM soon.

edit: Video link since its a new page. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrAsaPf23rY

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 16, 2012

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is that why they clap that board in front of the camera on movie sets? To sync cameras?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hey 'dere. (from the badly shot coaching video earlier)

• Locked thread